The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I've been reading this thread with the utmost interest because I always think it's a good thing if someone publishes something that's not just another voice in the crowd, but something that's asking questions, especially unpopular ones relating royalty. Coming from a monarchy myself I think there's nothing wrong with having some watch dogs around to keep things and spirits awake. One can agree with the things that are stated, one can't agree with it but it certainly makes some interesting reading. And I've always trusted my own brain and good opinion a lot, so I don't see why things in this thread need to get so personal towards Trine. You can agree with her, you cannot agree with her, but arguments are always the fairest way to state your case, imvho.

It's really time I get myself a credit card, so I can start ordering books online. Buying royalty related things in print is taking this obsession to another level, ahem... This paying-digital-is-frightening granny is not yet sure if she wants to do that. But I trust that GrandDuchess can provide me with a good summary the minute she read the book.
I'm not sure - it's a while since I signed up there - but I don't think you need to have a credit card to buy with PayPal as long as you're prepared to give them details of a bank account to tie your PayPal account to.

Wouldn't want you to miss out on the delights of spending more money than you can afford buying books online...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Could any of the Danish members on this board respond to Villemanns claims that things have changed both in the monarchy and the way that the press is reporting because of her actions and her book?
Nothing has changed because of Villemanns book nither in the monarchy nor in the way the danish press is reporting. Nothing at all

This book is nothing but just one more drop in the countless sea of tittle-tattle artickles and books about the same subject. I would guess the Cookingbook written by the Prince Consort has caused more changes then Villemans book has. At least his book was mentioned in the danish televised news.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I'm not sure - it's a while since I signed up there - but I don't think you need to have a credit card to buy with PayPal as long as you're prepared to give them details of a bank account to tie your PayPal account to.

Wouldn't want you to miss out on the delights of spending more money than you can afford buying books online...
That sure would be lovely, but maybe it would also mean the end of Maxie's financial resources. So, I'd better not start doing that, I think I prefer to stay a nitwit. I mean, I recently counted my novels and when I realized how much money they costed, I almost immediately collapsed in front of my book case. And well, PayPal... too much fuss. I recently had a look at my old account and I thought... nah. All the things I'm missing out here! It's just too horrible!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
One more point ... I do not think that it is correct to apply the slogan of Senator Obama to the Danish context.
I to fail to se what a slogan used in the American election campain has to do in a context regarding the danish monarchy.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
Nothing has changed because of Villemanns book nither in the monarchy nor in the way the danish press is reporting. Nothing at all

This book is nothing but just one more drop in the countless sea of tittle-tattle artickles and books about the same subject. I would guess the Cookingbook written by the Prince Consort has caused more changes then Villemans book has. At least his book was mentioned in the danish televised news.
Heavens knows which tv-news you watch, since I have been on just about every major tv-program in Denmark in connection with the release of my book. Changes? The palace got a new press secratary less than 8 weeks after my book, containing a heavy criticism of the former press secretary, came out. Two weeks after the release of my book, where I also acccuse CP Frederik and CP Mary of being too withdrawn from the rest of us, an interview was arranged with Berlingske Tidende. I see changes in the way even very royal outlets like B.T covers the royal family and the whole IOC-debate has been far more critical of the Crown Prince AFTER the publication of my book. In fact, the criticism became so severe that the palace hired a spindoctor/advisor (Morten Roland Hansen) to deal with the whole IOC-issue and a group of civil servants from various ministeries have been established to "babysit" CP Frederik on the political aspects of his IOC-candidacy. Not a revolution, I agree, but it is happening and more is on it's way.
And how can you call my book for "tittle-tattle," if you have not read it?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Are you saying your book made the Royal Family go forward ? ...
Yes, that is what I am saying. Forced by the very public criticism changes are taking place. I have just listed som of them in my reply to Lila. Again, the question is whether or not the royals are ready and willing to implement real reforms!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
Trine is the Danish Princess Di, obviously! The saviour of the monarchy!
What is wrong in trying to improve an dear old friend (Danish monarchy) we all love?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have to say though, that when an author starts taking credit for change within an insititution that is as old as the Danish Royal Family, I not only take his or her comments with a sack of salt, but I begin to wonder just how much of the book might be self serving nonsense.
So so true, imo.

And now taking credit for the new press secretary...

Tall poppies anyone...?

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I have to say though, that when an author starts taking credit for change within an insititution that is as old as the Danish Royal Family, I not only take his or her comments with a sack of salt, but I begin to wonder just how much of the book might be self serving nonsense.

It's one thing if the book can quote sources, it's quite another when all of those sources are "according to a close friend", "A source close to the RF", etc, etc. Now, I know that a writer should generally not name their sources, as that is their life blood, but as far as I can ascertain, (and again, I have not yet read the book.) not a single source was named within the book. That in and of itself makes me a bit suspicious.

Also, when an author comes onto a forum for a purpose that is at least on the surface to solely promote his or her book, I again have doubts.

And then, I would like to know how many Danes are taking this book seriously? And just how many Danes are taking Trine Villemann seriously? From what it sounds like, not many, despite the authors claims.

Someone mentioned lawsuits.. Well, the Royal Families don't tend to embroil themselves in lawsuits with the tabloid press either. (Not that I am saying that this is akin to a tabloid, or that it's not), but some things are often so clearly ridiculous and silly, that there's really no sense in going after the publisher or authors.

But I suppose one of my main points of contention here is that the author, despite claims to the contrary, posts often as if she thinks that she is speaking for the majority of the Danes, or at least that is the way I read it. And that she is taking credit not only for changes within the monarchy, but also with the Danish press. For someone who lives in a country other than the one that she is writing about, I somehow have doubts on that matter as well. It's not as if this author is a Nobel Prize winner whose works have a credible reason for affecting the manner in which others are reporting. But again, this is MY opinon. I think that if there are changes, they've come about with the palace and the press, as many changes do come, over time, and not in response to this event. The book is not some catastrophic event which required change, not like a war, lawsuits or revolution. Then I can understand change being made immediately. The authors claims that changes have been made solely because of her and her book seem to me incredible.

Could any of the Danish members on this board respond to Villemanns claims that things have changed both in the monarchy and the way that the press is reporting because of her actions and her book?
Empress, when Elspeth reopened this thread , she clearly stated that she did not want anymore "I haven't read the book,but..." comments. Surely as a moderator, you agree that we should all adhere to these guidelines?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
The palace got a new press secratary less than 8 weeks after my book, containing a heavy criticism of the former press secretary, came out. Two weeks after the release of my book, where I also acccuse CP Frederik and CP Mary of being too withdrawn from the rest of us, an interview was arranged with Berlingske Tidende. I see changes in the way even very royal outlets like B.T covers the royal family and the whole IOC-debate has been far more critical of the Crown Prince AFTER the publication of my book. In fact, the criticism became so severe that the palace hired a spindoctor/advisor (Morten Roland Hansen) to deal with the whole IOC-issue and a group of civil servants from various ministeries have been established to "babysit" CP Frederik on the political aspects of his IOC-candidacy.
If it is your interpritation that these changes was due to your book, you are free to think so. It is a nice thing feeling one has contributed to something worth fighting for.

I just don't se things your way - which I am intitled to
Old 08-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
I've been reading this thread with the utmost interest because I always think it's a good thing if someone publishes something that's not just another voice in the crowd, but something that's asking questions, especially unpopular ones relating royalty. Coming from a monarchy myself I think there's nothing wrong with having some watch dogs around to keep things and spirits awake. One can agree with the things that are stated, one can't agree with it but it certainly makes some interesting reading. And I've always trusted my own brain and good opinion a lot, so I don't see why things in this thread need to get so personal towards Trine. You can agree with her, you cannot agree with her, but arguments are always the fairest way to state your case, imvho.
Thanks you, Maxie, for your support. Don't worry. I am used to it! To a degree I even understand it. Royalists - and that includes me - have a very emotional relationship with their royals houses. As you can see in my book, my own family's connections goes back a generation. I am as emotionally attached as everybody else, but I am trying very hard not to let those emotions cloud my common sense and judgment.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
So so true, imo.

And now taking credit for the new press secretary...

Tall poppies anyone...?
Well, you tell me then why Ms Frederiksen left Amalienborg? By the way, if anyone is interested in Ms Frederiksen's whereabouts, I can report that she is now doing after-dinner speaking engagements. She entertains people with stories from her life and it includes anecdotes from her first job as an air-hostess to her job as palace press secratary!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
If it is your interpritation that these changes was due to your book, you are free to think so. It is a nice thing feeling one has contributed to something worth fighting for.

I just don't se things your way - which I am intitled to
Of course, you are!You did not answer my question, though. have you read my book?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying. Forced by the very public criticism changes are taking place. I have just listed som of them in my reply to Lila. Again, the question is whether or not the royals are ready and willing to implement real reforms!
So you're actually telling us that you and only you made the Royals progress?

You seem pretty sure of yourself ...

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Most people here are commenting on your comments, and not upon the book itself. I stated clearly that I had not yet read the book, but the great majority of my comments were directed at comments of yours.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well, you tell me then why Ms Frederiksen left Amalienborg? By the way, if anyone is interested in Ms Frederiksen's whereabouts, I can report that she is now doing after-dinner speaking engagements. She entertains people with stories from her life and it includes anecdotes from her first job as an air-hostess to her job as palace press secratary!

Do I know why she left? No, but I'm aware she had come under fire from the press for what was said to have been her sometimes uncoperative handling of the press *surprise surprise* As it stands, she could have left for any number of reasons.

Do you? I'm sure you don't, though you would have people believe your the influence behind her departure. Such an 'entity' to be dealt with...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You did not answer my question, though. have you read my book?
I have borrowed your book at the library and read some of it. Not all though. Enough to have a pritty good impresion. This impresion concur with the rewiev and summary given on this forum earlier this year by - I think it was - Norwigianne.

I general I am just more into historical fiction and crimes which seems to drag my attention like a bee to a honeypot.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Villemann, you clearly have an idealized idea of how long some processes take. It most certainly was already a work in progress to search for, hire and find an appropriate press person for the royal house. It takes 8 weeks just to find a competent communications person for a medium sized organization, never mind finding one who needs to understand the workings of a royal house from the get go, have some interest in the subject and be capable of doing the job.

I also doubt that the Royal Family scheduled any interviews solely because of your book.

It appears to me that you have a very high opinion of what your book is capable of accomplishing. I don't think any ONE publication or person could possibly claim credit for all of the changes that you are claiming credit for based solely on a book that you have written. Especially when you've never interviewed the main characters of whom you speak.

What specific event has led you to believe that the royal family values your opinion so highly?
Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Empress, when Elspeth reopened this thread , she clearly stated that she did not want anymore "I haven't read the book,but..." comments. Surely as a moderator, you agree that we should all adhere to these guidelines?
As a moderator, I agree with the guidelines. However, before I buy a book on anything, I like to know that the author's sources are genuine and reliable. I can read plenty of tabloids, so when I purchase a book, I want more real information than that. The problem here is that most of the reviews that I have read of the book written by actual journalists and not readers posting on your site refer to the lack of verifiable sources. I realize that most authors run into this sort of problem, but yours seems to be a bit more extreme than most. That, coupled with the fact that you have so far been unwilling to answer any direct questions that I have posted, makes me a little reluctant to plunk down my $20 + postage and packing until you can convince me that the book is based on more than just your word for things.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I have borrowed your book at the library and read some of it. Not all though. Enough to have a pritty good impresion. This impresion concur with the rewiev and summary given on this forum earlier this year by - I thing it was - Norwigianne.

I general I am just more into historical fiction and crimes which seems to drag my attention like a bee to a honeypot.
Well, you stick to fiction and crime stories and I'll stick to the royal family. It is, however, my guess, you never got the final chaper in my book, where I list many of the major reasons for why, IMO, the Danish monarchy needs life support. As a Dane I am sure you know the word "tossegod." I think that word pretty much describes the relationsship you and many other Danes have with the royal family. There is nothing wrong in that. It is your prerogative, but the times are changing and the monarchy will have to change too - or face extinction!