The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Again, it is your opinion that he does not want to change, and that he needs to change. Do you know the intimate day to day details of his work day? I am sure that you have an understanding through your research, but I doubt seriously that the palace gave you carte blanche to all of the inner workings.

What's wrong with IOC candidacy/membership? It promotes Denmark to the world. A great many of the royals are or were members of the IOC, inluding currently: Princess Nora of Liechtenstein, Prince Albert of Monaco, Princess Anne of Great Britian, Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad of Kuwait, The Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Prince Willem Alexander of The Netherlands, Raja Randir of India, Prince Nawaf Faisal of Saudi Arabia, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad of Qatar, Prince Tunkuy of Malaysia, Princess Haya of the UAE, to name a few, and I would consider these his compatriots.

You can't have it both ways, either you can have a monarchy with all of the trappings of tradition, or no monarchy at all. A monarchy is by it's very definition different from the majority of the population of a country. They are there to represent the country on an international stage, and to do so with as much grace and dignity as the position entails. So you can't therefore compare them to the majority of the population. Would the majority of thepopulation have the journalists and papparazzi following them constantly? Have every move and every word dissected? Have every single moment of your life made public? No. Nor would the majority of them choose to live such a life. Unfortunately or fortunately, Frederik had no say so in who he was born or what he is destined to have to do. He couldn't have just said, well, I don't want to be king, I'm going to be a soldier, banker, candlestick maker. We all have that choice. He does not.

You can't know for a fact what the job entails as you are no royal, just like I can't know what it entails. However, I am more than willing to give them more credit becuase I can't imagine the pressures that come with such a position. I honestly think that they do more than you give them credit for.
But do I think, Frederik should have that choice? Yes, I do. We should change the Constitution so that if a royal wants out, it can happen. It is a breach of a royal's human rights that he or she are not free to choose, what they want to do. As for IOC? Anyone who has watched CP Frederik's painful attempts to explain exactly why he wants to become a member, realises that the IOC is not for him. I respect his wish to stop obesity amongst school children, but there are, IMO, SOOO many other and better ways of achieving that. Do I know the intimate details of his day-today life. I know a lot and have asked the palace for a complete schedule for HRH for any given week in 2008. So far, they have not released one to me. I think it is shortsighted to just declare that we can't have it both ways, when it comes to the monarchy. Of course the Danish monarchy can reform - like some of the other royal houses around Europe have already done.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

You keep saying that The Danes deserve a better monarchy, but apparently the majority of the Danes do not yet agree with you that the monarchy needs changing. It might be better if you were to say "I think that as a Danish citizen I deserve a better monarchy." Because the way that you are phrasing it gives the impression that you speak for the majority.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You keep saying that The Danes deserve a better monarchy, but apparently the majority of the Danes do not yet agree with you that the monarchy needs changing. It might be better if you were to say "I think that as a Danish citizen I deserve a better monarchy." Because the way that you are phrasing it gives the impression that you speak for the majority.
I am expresing my view, when I say the Danes deserve a better monarchy. I don't se any need to change that phrase at all!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Eudoxia View Post
I was wondering how Trine responds to critics like this who call her book crap.

Danish Royal Watchers: Trine Villemann's book worst of 2007 - book review

That's interesting. Are there any other reviews of this book?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Lots! Feel free to check www.1015copenhagenk.com Readers' reactions and Critics as well. Plus Viv Rosendahl did one on the unofficial royal forum. Lots of reviews out there!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Nobility

Oh and let me just add that I held the distinction of having written the worst book of 2007 until the critic reviewed Tina Browns "The Diana Chronicles." His whole review of that book was formed as a letter to me saying, I had no longer wirtten the worst book of 2007. Damned!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sorry, but generally the things that are changeable by another person is only habits. Like plesase pick up your clothes from the bedroom floor. Not, I think that you need more confidence. That sort of change needs to come from within yourself.

I fail to understand why you are putting all of the onus on Mary to change Frederik and little on Frederik himself. Again, he is an adult and it's his job, so therefore he should prepare himself for it, and if as you suggest, he is too immature or not confident enough, or whatever the case may be, it is again his problem to change, with Mary's support of course, but it's not her job to change him.
Empress, I agree with you 100 %. This is truly something that only Fredrick can do for himself.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:

Empress, have YOU read my book or are you just going by the reviews?
Old 08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I have not, and I have not posted any comments with regards to your book. I have posted comments based upon the things that you have said here. I won't comment on the contents of a book that I have not yet read.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Royal history has many examples of strong wifes, who have moulded their husbands into good kings. At this very moment, I can only think of the late Queen Ingrid, whom I studied a lot for 1015.
There's a parallel with Queen Elizabeth, who was married to the younger brother of Edward VIII and was left to pick up the pieces after the abdication. George VI was a diffident, nervous man with a stammer and an awkward disposition, and his wife is generally credited with being instrumental in his success as king. However, by all accounts she did it by providing security, warmth, support, and protection for him and the family, not by trying to remake him into something he wasn't. It was the attempt by his father to do that when he was a child which turned him into such a basket case in the first place. I don't think you can realistically ask for more from Mary than the Queen Mother provided for her husband.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I fail to understand what revolutionary changes usual Danes expect from their Crown Prince.
No wonder Al bina. I don't either - and I am one of those usual Danes
Old 08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
There's a parallel with Queen Elizabeth, who was married to the younger brother of Edward VIII and was left to pick up the pieces after the abdication. George VI was a diffident, nervous man with a stammer and an awkward disposition, and his wife is generally credited with being instrumental in his success as king. However, by all accounts she did it by providing security, warmth, support, and protection for him and the family, not by trying to remake him into something he wasn't. It was the attempt by his father to do that when he was a child which turned him into such a basket case in the first place. I don't think you can realistically ask for more from Mary than the Queen Mother provided for her husband.
Your parallel re George VI and his wife vs Mary & Fred really made me think. I believe you you hit the nail. Mary should provide all the security and love she can [which I believe she does] so that Fred will become his own man and rule the exact way he feels is correct. Mary will never change Fred (no wife ever does, believe me) but she will always be his sounding board and security. Fred on the other hand, will never come into his own until he becomes king. Look how many years it has taken Prince Charles of UK to get out from under the WIMP identification. Heavens, when he was in his early 20s, people thought his sister, P Anne had more backbone. There are still a lot that refer to him as 'milk toast' in nature. Only time will tell. I believe that Fred and Mary will make a great team in the future for their country.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Lots! Feel free to check www.1015copenhagenk.com Readers' reactions and Critics as well. Plus Viv Rosendahl did one on the unofficial royal forum. Lots of reviews out there!
For anyone interested in reading it, Viv Rosendahl's review can be found here:

Viv Rosendahl Column
Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
No wonder Al bina. I don't either - and I am one of those usual Danes
Would you not like a Crown Prince, who actually puts in a full days work? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who gives something back to his community? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who has the ability to ensure that the monarchy is also alive in 100 years time? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who does not divide the nation by making the choices, he does? Nothing revolutionary about it. Just common sense and a belief that the monarchy will not survive unless the heir to the throne pulls himself together. Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Would you not like a Crown Prince, who actually puts in a full days work? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who gives something back to his community? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who has the ability to ensure that the monarchy is also alive in 100 years time? Would you not like a Crown Prince, who does not divide the nation by making the choices, he does? Nothing revolutionary about it. Just common sense and a belief that the monarchy will not survive unless the heir to the throne pulls himself together. Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?
I want Crown Prince Frederik to be precisely who he is! End of story!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
I want Crown Prince Frederik to be precisely who he is! End of story!
...and, IMO, end of monarchy after him!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Well only Danes can decide about that and if Danes share Lilla's opinion, that will not be the end that soon.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
You have your oppinion. I have mine!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...[snipped] Other monarchies have reformed over the years. Other royals have managed to adapt to the times we are living in. Why not the Danish royals?
Well, I believe that it would be better to say that European Royal houses are required to adapt. For instance, the Japanese Imperial Family is expected to avoid changing anything much or doing other revolutionary things. Quite the contrary, members of the Japanese Imperial family must always protect and cultivate "the Japanese tradition and cultural heritage" that have not changed much over the centuries.
If you wish, you can check the following post by ChiaraC A German book about Crown Princess Masako
Old 08-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I've just purchased your book online via your website Trine, and look forward to receiving and reading it very much. I will get back to this thread when I've actually read it