The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Aristocracy

I think it is about time there is a book based on Prince Frederik and Marys relationship, I would buy it. (if it is in English lol)

Philip Elmer-Dewitt, in Time Magazine
Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There are articles in women's magazines here about how he is out a lot with his friends.
So because the pink mags print it, it's true? Hmm, I'm likely to question everything a women's magazine has to say.

It isn't journalism, it's trash bag gossip.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Courtier

Well, I'm not too pleased about this book, which, in the Australian press has quotes attached to it, such as -

'She said Princess Mary was finding it difficult to deal with the prince's "dysfunctional" family and had become an isolated figure who struggled to cope with her husband's visits to see ex-girlfriends.'

I'd be interested to hear from our Danish friends on this matter.

Is the Danish Royal Family regarded as 'dysfunctional'? besides the normal ups and downs between parents and children? (Well, I suppose that if one's Mum were Queen, then it might add additional strains).

Surprisingly, I've never imagined CP Mary as an isolated figure - quite the contrary, in fact. She always seems, to me, to be out and about and enjoying her position, and showing her great admiration for, and loyalty to every thing Danish!

I've also read reports that this book says that Fredrik doesn't want to be King, that the Danes don't want Mary as Queen consort, and that Joachim is the 'best son'. Also, the book claims (so these reports say) that Joachim was 'lost' because of his awful marriage and his 'bossy' wife who insisted that he divorce her, threatening to divulge ghastly family secrets if he didn't. If these reports are accurate, then Joachim's life has been an unhappy and unproductive one, due to Alex, alone. And why?: five minutes ago, Alex was almost 'top of the pops' in Denmark. How realistic can this new,ugly portrayal of her persona actually be?

I don't know what to make of these sorts of books and articles. The author, I've read, has her knowledge from 'friends' and ex-courtiers. Presumably, some of it may well be true, but I'd be more believing if some of these people were mentioned by name. In similar books about the late Princess of Wales, for instance, names are named!

In the interim, I continue to believe that Denmark is very lucky in its Crown Prince and Princess and its royal children, which is not to overlook Denmark's wonderful and clever Queen, who is admired by many of us around the globe for her strong independence, personal confidence, and elegance of spirit and national identityl
Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Administrator

Here are some more quotes attributed directly to the author:

Mary had "locked herself in the royal palace and thrown away the key."
"The happy-go-lucky girl from Hobart with long hair and an easy smile has gone and we have this emaciated crown princess wearing all these designer clothes."
"It's not natural."

A touch of hyperbole perhaps?
This sounds more like the guff that gets served up as "fact" in the women's trash mags week in and week out for any number of celebrities and public figures.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
She will sell a few copies here in Australia, I think, but people are not very interested in the Danish royal family here. Maybe in Tasmania.
< ed political comment >
Oh, sorry! I didn't know that was not allowed. I didn't know I was making a political comment. What I meant to say was that Ms Villemann will sell a few books only here in Australia because it isn't about the British royal family. I think a book about Prince William would sell more.

If this is also a political comment, please delete this post. I'm new here and am still finding out things. I signed up to see weddings.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Courtier

Just to rectify the comment about this lady working for Fred at some time or the other, she did not. There is another book that has been written by an ex PET worker but the release has been put on hold.

With regards to some of the comments expressed by this lady regarding Fred visiting old flames, if this was so I am very sure pics would have appeared in magazines. One just has to look at the many pics posted of Fred and Mary together at functions to see that their marriage is not a facade. If it was then their body language in some pics would have shown it. I believe that anything negative written about any of the CPs in Europe will sell ahead of positive stories.

Stellad
Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, sorry! I didn't know that was not allowed. I didn't know I was making a political comment. .
Discussion of the book and Australians' interest in Mary is welcomed; discussion of the preferred Australian Prime Minister is not.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Well, I'm not too pleased about this book, which, in the Australian press has quotes attached to it, such as -

'She said Princess Mary was finding it difficult to deal with the prince's "dysfunctional" family and had become an isolated figure who struggled to cope with her husband's visits to see ex-girlfriends.'

I'd be interested to hear from our Danish friends on this matter.

Is the Danish Royal Family regarded as 'dysfunctional'? besides the normal ups and downs between parents and children? (Well, I suppose that if one's Mum were Queen, then it might add additional strains)
Where the Australien press has got its quotes from - I don't know - but I am sure it is not Mary.

The Danish Royal Family isn't dysfunctional - the only dysfunctional thing connecter to the DRF, are those mediocre journaliste writing for unreliable magazines and tasteless publishing houses, because serious and trustworthy medias woun't employ them.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Princess View Post
I think it is about time there is a book based on Prince Frederik and Marys relationship, I would buy it. (if it is in English lol)
I wouldn't count on seeing this type of book
If a creditable book on a royal couple's relationship was to be written, in order to be creditable it would have to be written by the couple itself or close family and/or friends who appeared as named sources. I don't see this happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
Just to rectify the comment about this lady working for Fred at some time or the other, she did not. There is another book that has been written by an ex PET worker but the release has been put on hold.

With regards to some of the comments expressed by this lady regarding Fred visiting old flames, if this was so I am very sure pics would have appeared in magazines. One just has to look at the many pics posted of Fred and Mary together at functions to see that their marriage is not a facade. If it was then their body language in some pics would have shown it. I believe that anything negative written about any of the CPs in Europe will sell ahead of positive stories.

Stellad
Precisely
Trine Villeman is a gossip journalist who has collected her gossip in a 'book' filled with unnamed sources (how reliable is that!?) released just in time for the Christmas sale.
If she had been a respected journalist who had a reputation for being thorough in her preparations for her articles/books, who knew how to handle sources etc. I would pay some attention to this book. But IMO she doesn't fulfil any of these criteria.
IMO this book has already achieved more attention than it deserves. But I am sure Ms. Villemann is smiling all the way to the bank
Old 10-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Aristocracy

this make 's me sick in the stomach.
this person is only interest in money.
billie-jo
Old 10-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
So because the pink mags print it, it's true? Hmm, I'm likely to question everything a women's magazine has to say.

It isn't journalism, it's trash bag gossip.
I said there are articles in women's magazines about him. I didn't say they're true, and I don't care if they're true or not. Makes no difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
Precisely
.......I am sure Ms. Villemann is smiling all the way to the bank
That is the idea! A few people made good money writing books about the late Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
She will sell a few copies here in Australia, I think, but people are not very interested in the Danish royal family here. Maybe in Tasmania.
< ed political comment >
But to my information, many Australian's are intrested in Mary. This is not about the royal family but about Frederik & Mary.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne View Post
"Even if I have enough material to end the monarchy, I'm not after doing it," says the author
Sigh, that is exactly what Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn said in 2003..and 2004 and 2005 and 2006...and 2007... but we are still waiting here.
So just a trick to sell more copies me thinks.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Courtier

Well we'll just have to wait and see if the author's saying the truth. Is she a respectable author, I mean the percentage of telling/writing stories is high? If she is, and she's formerly working with the DRF, I think I'm very curious to read her book but I'm not buying it! These stories are always present to royal families.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wouldn't count on seeing this type of book
If a creditable book on a royal couple's relationship was to be written, in order to be creditable it would have to be written by the couple itself or close family and/or friends who appeared as named sources. I don't see this happening
Well, but if (for the case you are married) you and your husband would decide to publish a book, and if you would represent something, that is based on happiness and "ideal world" would you then tell everything? Also everything about the bad and dark days in your marriage, the thing, that annoy you?
And your friend...would he/she spill dirt over you?

I´m here with GlitteringTiaras I wanna see both sides of the debate. IMO 100% functional families don´t exist, esp. if we include grown-up brothers, sisters, in-laws etc.
But the thing is, that Royals need to represent happy functional families. And there are (here for example ) ppl, who want to see this side. One has enough boring, un-glittering dysfunctional things in the own life.
For this side official books get published, with photoshopped pictures and quotes on humanitarian or cultural issues.
And one can buy mags like HOLA, Billed Bladet or Svensk Damtidning, which concentrate on the sweet and glittering sides.

But there are also ppl, who wanna see, that their families are better and more functional than these hyped and praised "public families" (Royals or certain celebs) and those are happy about every piece of scandal, that shows them, that those aren´t perfect either.
And for those books like this one get published. Just as the court-published books don´t show everything, these scandal books and EB articles don´t do it either.
There surely is some truth in both.
That she has to work with anonymous or 2nd hand sources is clear. Ppl are always fast with telling nice things about others in public, but the unpleasant things are mostly told the "underhand way" That´s malicious, but surely a part of human nature. Of course this makes her theories a bit weak seeming, but this doesn´t mean, that everything is wrong.

The thing, that is a little surprising for me, is that many here are upset about the things, that are written about Mary and Frederik in the book. For me this part seems (so far...as the book isn´t out yet) to be a mix out of "common knowledge" and perception (that is shared of some, but not all, ppl)
Frederik has self spoken out about his unhappy childhood, we know, that he thought about committing suicide. Surely he is matured and surely an own family made things easier. But really...if I´m taking the real life approach...most ppl, who are having issues with their life, who are uncertain about things and who lacked support in their childhood, keep this all their life.
And if one looks at his schedule, his lack of a real thread...esp. in comparison to his "Scandi colleagues" Victoria and Haakon*, it´s hard to deny, that becoming a king isn´t his thing.
As it seems to adress these issues was even quite popular for the Royal house in his twens, but now they are (have to) promoting a mature guy...which makes sense, as he is nearly 40, married and a father of two.
But why should one not adress this matter again. Trine isn´t the only one seeing Joachim as better candidate and Mary a bit "struggling" as she seems to lack support (I´m knowing, that not all here are sharing this opinion )

My favourite candidate for Frederik would have been Bettina...and I´m not seeing a problem telling that. But it´s also clear to me, that she is not the one, he married and that for some reason there wasn´t enough chemistry (either from Bettina´s, or Frederik´s or the Queen´s side )

The thing, that is rather juicy/cheap for me is, that she is implying this with Joachim and Alexandra, but not telling it (either because she really doesn´t know it or because she wants to make her book more interesting)
This makes ppl speculating and is actually more harming than telling her facts/rumour/guess...as so the ppl involved could deny it or could admit it.
So now of course the old "Jocke is gay"-rumour gets re-warmed

So conclusion...surely not everything in the book is accurate. A lot of things are based on "personal view", but that´s the very same with the more pink reports on the DRF. The truth is probably somewhere in between Billed Bladet and EB...and both publications have their positive functions.
I´m personally thinking about getting this book, fighting myself through it with my bad Danish and so allowing Trine´s (dys)functional family a happy Christmas.
Just as I´d maybe get the next court supported book, which would allow its author a nice Christmas as well

*I know...I know...this discussion is so beaten *g*
Old 10-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Presisly, some swallow Billedbladets writing as THE truth about the royals and some swallow Ekstrabladets truth. And just because a book or a documentary is approved by the Court it does IMO not mean it is the whole truth. Take the documentary about Queen Sonja for her birthday. It was all about how hard working she is, what a perfectionist she is, how sporty she is, how much she adores her grandchildren, how much she wants to do well for Norway and how difficult the time before the marriage was. Is this the truth, maybe, but is it the whole truth just because it was approved by the court? It did not touch on the subjects that press sometimes like to write about, that she is a difficult boss, that she demands to much of the staff, that she is bossy with ehr husband, that she spends much money and that she did not like her children in law before the marriages etc etc. Is this no the truth because it was not included in the docu? Where does this come from then, puerly fabrication? or is it a case of where there are fsmoke there is atleast a little fire? So maybe the real Queen Sonja is somehow inbetween theese two characterisitcs and IMO it makes her more human and more likable than the uber woman the court tries to sell, and I guess it is the same for the danish royals. I personally get dizzy about some of the stuff Billedbladet serves (who can remeber the everything is perfect between Joachim and ALexandra article the day before the divorce was anounced), and I absolutly does not belive everything Ekstrabladet comes up with.

Of course my favourite appraoch is to belive everything negative about Alexandra and then in the next sentence say that everything bad written about Mary and Frederik from the same sources are absolutely bogus and mean spirited
Old 10-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Nobility

I agree with my fellow posters who want both sides of the "story -- no matter how extreme either side is. Before Andrew Morton's book and Princess Diana's Panorama interview, no one could believe just what was happening or was reality in the Charles-Diana marriage or the British Royal family.

Usually the truth is somewhere in between.

Let's get that book translated into English and each reader can decide what's the truth for himself or herself.

Some of the articles on the internet about the book alluded to Princess Mary's difficult transition from being an anonymous person to a Crown Princess. Can't we all agree that that is probably based in some truth. I cannot imagine going from my free, easy-going lifestyle where I can come and go as I please without anyone monitoring me to one where I am the focus of photographers and bodyguards with every moment of a "public" day scripted and scheduled. Mary is human just like the rest of us.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Royal Highness

I definitely agree with the posters here who say that the real facts about royals probably lie somewhere between the sugar-coated articles from the gossipy 'ladies' magazines' and the routinely negative reports from other parts of the media.
This book could have had a real purpose and could have been really interesting if it had only been written by someone whose only purpose was not to enrich herself. I took a look at her blog - villemann.com - and the first couple of posts all end in advertising for her new book with calls for buying it.
I cannot see Georg Metz, Thøger Seidenfaden or any of the journalists from Berlingske Tidende publishing a book of this kind and then come up with these constant calls to buy, buy, buy it!
My reservations with this book lie mainly with the auther and her reputation for being a gossipy journalist. She proudly characterises herself as 'loud-mouthed' and she is correct. But somehow, sounding like a fish wife on print doesn't make her really creditable in my eyes. Not that she cares - she has already carried through her intention with all the attention her book has already got.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

imo, its hard to believe who is saying the truth
Her&Nu representative says via DRW

Quote:
Trine Villemann's book is based on hearsay, rumour and supposed anonymous sources.
and
this article says:
Quote:
Villemann said she reached her opinion of the royal marriage after speaking with family, friends, and past and present employees of the couple.
So how did she get the whole scope? there is a limit in what an employe will know unless she is a housemaid, nanny
Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Berlingske Tidende comments on her book here Bogbjerget - Kultur - and this newspaper's conclusion is that 'Trine Villemann documents absolutely nothing in her book. N o t h i n g.' The complaints are especially focused on the use of 'sources' which are all apparently undocumented (there are even quotes from a source's late mother )
I will not by the book - nor read it. The review by Berligske Tidende is sufficient for me - I have got better things spending my life dooing then reading undocumentet tittle-tattle.

When it comes to the DRF - I don't need to finde any truth either. They are what they are: Symbols.

Underneath the symbols, yes, they are human beings. But that part of their lives, in my point of view, belonges to their very private spheres. Trine Villeman is sticking her greedy nose into that sphere and her nose has nothing to do there. I will not help her profit from that.