"1015 København K" by Trine Villemann (2007)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading this thread with the utmost interest because I always think it's a good thing if someone publishes something that's not just another voice in the crowd, but something that's asking questions, especially unpopular ones relating royalty. Coming from a monarchy myself I think there's nothing wrong with having some watch dogs around to keep things and spirits awake. One can agree with the things that are stated, one can't agree with it but it certainly makes some interesting reading. And I've always trusted my own brain and good opinion a lot, so I don't see why things in this thread need to get so personal towards Trine. You can agree with her, you cannot agree with her, but arguments are always the fairest way to state your case, imvho.

It's really time I get myself a credit card, so I can start ordering books online. :rolleyes: Buying royalty related things in print is taking this obsession to another level, ahem... This paying-digital-is-frightening granny is not yet sure if she wants to do that. ;) But I trust that GrandDuchess can provide me with a good summary the minute she read the book.

I'm not sure - it's a while since I signed up there - but I don't think you need to have a credit card to buy with PayPal as long as you're prepared to give them details of a bank account to tie your PayPal account to.

Wouldn't want you to miss out on the delights of spending more money than you can afford buying books online...:D

Could any of the Danish members on this board respond to Villemanns claims that things have changed both in the monarchy and the way that the press is reporting because of her actions and her book?

Nothing has changed because of Villemanns book nither in the monarchy nor in the way the danish press is reporting. Nothing at all:flowers:

This book is nothing but just one more drop in the countless sea of tittle-tattle artickles and books about the same subject. I would guess the Cookingbook written by the Prince Consort has caused more changes then Villemans book has. At least his book was mentioned in the danish televised news.

I'm not sure - it's a while since I signed up there - but I don't think you need to have a credit card to buy with PayPal as long as you're prepared to give them details of a bank account to tie your PayPal account to.

Wouldn't want you to miss out on the delights of spending more money than you can afford buying books online...:D

That sure would be lovely, but maybe it would also mean the end of Maxie's financial resources. :D So, I'd better not start doing that, I think I prefer to stay a nitwit. I mean, I recently counted my novels and when I realized how much money they costed, I almost immediately collapsed in front of my book case. And well, PayPal... too much fuss. I recently had a look at my old account and I thought... nah. All the things I'm missing out here! It's just too horrible! ;)

One more point ... I do not think that it is correct to apply the slogan of Senator Obama to the Danish context.

I to fail to se what a slogan used in the American election campain has to do in a context regarding the danish monarchy:whistling:.

Nothing has changed because of Villemanns book nither in the monarchy nor in the way the danish press is reporting. Nothing at all:flowers:

This book is nothing but just one more drop in the countless sea of tittle-tattle artickles and books about the same subject. I would guess the Cookingbook written by the Prince Consort has caused more changes then Villemans book has. At least his book was mentioned in the danish televised news.

Heavens knows which tv-news you watch, since I have been on just about every major tv-program in Denmark in connection with the release of my book. Changes? The palace got a new press secratary less than 8 weeks after my book, containing a heavy criticism of the former press secretary, came out. Two weeks after the release of my book, where I also acccuse CP Frederik and CP Mary of being too withdrawn from the rest of us, an interview was arranged with Berlingske Tidende. I see changes in the way even very royal outlets like B.T covers the royal family and the whole IOC-debate has been far more critical of the Crown Prince AFTER the publication of my book. In fact, the criticism became so severe that the palace hired a spindoctor/advisor (Morten Roland Hansen) to deal with the whole IOC-issue and a group of civil servants from various ministeries have been established to "babysit" CP Frederik on the political aspects of his IOC-candidacy. Not a revolution, I agree, but it is happening and more is on it's way.
And how can you call my book for "tittle-tattle," if you have not read it?

Are you saying your book made the Royal Family go forward ? ... :eek:

Yes, that is what I am saying. Forced by the very public criticism changes are taking place. I have just listed som of them in my reply to Lila. Again, the question is whether or not the royals are ready and willing to implement real reforms!

I have to say though, that when an author starts taking credit for change within an insititution that is as old as the Danish Royal Family, I not only take his or her comments with a sack of salt, but I begin to wonder just how much of the book might be self serving nonsense.

So so true, imo.

And now taking credit for the new press secretary...:rolleyes:

Tall poppies anyone...?

I have to say though, that when an author starts taking credit for change within an insititution that is as old as the Danish Royal Family, I not only take his or her comments with a sack of salt, but I begin to wonder just how much of the book might be self serving nonsense.

It's one thing if the book can quote sources, it's quite another when all of those sources are "according to a close friend", "A source close to the RF", etc, etc. Now, I know that a writer should generally not name their sources, as that is their life blood, but as far as I can ascertain, (and again, I have not yet read the book.) not a single source was named within the book. That in and of itself makes me a bit suspicious.

Also, when an author comes onto a forum for a purpose that is at least on the surface to solely promote his or her book, I again have doubts.

And then, I would like to know how many Danes are taking this book seriously? And just how many Danes are taking Trine Villemann seriously? From what it sounds like, not many, despite the authors claims.

Someone mentioned lawsuits.. Well, the Royal Families don't tend to embroil themselves in lawsuits with the tabloid press either. (Not that I am saying that this is akin to a tabloid, or that it's not), but some things are often so clearly ridiculous and silly, that there's really no sense in going after the publisher or authors.

But I suppose one of my main points of contention here is that the author, despite claims to the contrary, posts often as if she thinks that she is speaking for the majority of the Danes, or at least that is the way I read it. And that she is taking credit not only for changes within the monarchy, but also with the Danish press. For someone who lives in a country other than the one that she is writing about, I somehow have doubts on that matter as well. It's not as if this author is a Nobel Prize winner whose works have a credible reason for affecting the manner in which others are reporting. But again, this is MY opinon. I think that if there are changes, they've come about with the palace and the press, as many changes do come, over time, and not in response to this event. The book is not some catastrophic event which required change, not like a war, lawsuits or revolution. Then I can understand change being made immediately. The authors claims that changes have been made solely because of her and her book seem to me incredible.

Could any of the Danish members on this board respond to Villemanns claims that things have changed both in the monarchy and the way that the press is reporting because of her actions and her book?
Empress, when Elspeth reopened this thread , she clearly stated that she did not want anymore "I haven't read the book,but..." comments. Surely as a moderator, you agree that we should all adhere to these guidelines?

The palace got a new press secratary less than 8 weeks after my book, containing a heavy criticism of the former press secretary, came out. Two weeks after the release of my book, where I also acccuse CP Frederik and CP Mary of being too withdrawn from the rest of us, an interview was arranged with Berlingske Tidende. I see changes in the way even very royal outlets like B.T covers the royal family and the whole IOC-debate has been far more critical of the Crown Prince AFTER the publication of my book. In fact, the criticism became so severe that the palace hired a spindoctor/advisor (Morten Roland Hansen) to deal with the whole IOC-issue and a group of civil servants from various ministeries have been established to "babysit" CP Frederik on the political aspects of his IOC-candidacy.

If it is your interpritation that these changes was due to your book, you are free to think so. It is a nice thing feeling one has contributed to something worth fighting for.

I just don't se things your way - which I am intitled to:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading this thread with the utmost interest because I always think it's a good thing if someone publishes something that's not just another voice in the crowd, but something that's asking questions, especially unpopular ones relating royalty. Coming from a monarchy myself I think there's nothing wrong with having some watch dogs around to keep things and spirits awake. One can agree with the things that are stated, one can't agree with it but it certainly makes some interesting reading. And I've always trusted my own brain and good opinion a lot, so I don't see why things in this thread need to get so personal towards Trine. You can agree with her, you cannot agree with her, but arguments are always the fairest way to state your case, imvho.

Thanks you, Maxie, for your support. Don't worry. I am used to it! To a degree I even understand it. Royalists - and that includes me - have a very emotional relationship with their royals houses. As you can see in my book, my own family's connections goes back a generation. I am as emotionally attached as everybody else, but I am trying very hard not to let those emotions cloud my common sense and judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:
So so true, imo.

And now taking credit for the new press secretary...:rolleyes:

Tall poppies anyone...?

Well, you tell me then why Ms Frederiksen left Amalienborg? By the way, if anyone is interested in Ms Frederiksen's whereabouts, I can report that she is now doing after-dinner speaking engagements. She entertains people with stories from her life and it includes anecdotes from her first job as an air-hostess to her job as palace press secratary!

If it is your interpritation that these changes was due to your book, you are free to think so. It is a nice thing feeling one has contributed to something worth fighting for.

I just don't se things your way - which I am intitled to:flowers:

Of course, you are!You did not answer my question, though. have you read my book?

Yes, that is what I am saying. Forced by the very public criticism changes are taking place. I have just listed som of them in my reply to Lila. Again, the question is whether or not the royals are ready and willing to implement real reforms!

So you're actually telling us that you and only you made the Royals progress?

You seem pretty sure of yourself ...

Most people here are commenting on your comments, and not upon the book itself. I stated clearly that I had not yet read the book, but the great majority of my comments were directed at comments of yours.

Well, you tell me then why Ms Frederiksen left Amalienborg? By the way, if anyone is interested in Ms Frederiksen's whereabouts, I can report that she is now doing after-dinner speaking engagements. She entertains people with stories from her life and it includes anecdotes from her first job as an air-hostess to her job as palace press secratary!

Do I know why she left? No, but I'm aware she had come under fire from the press for what was said to have been her sometimes uncoperative handling of the press *surprise surprise* As it stands, she could have left for any number of reasons.

Do you? I'm sure you don't, though you would have people believe your the influence behind her departure. Such an 'entity' to be dealt with...:D

Last edited:
You did not answer my question, though. have you read my book?

I have borrowed your book at the library and read some of it. Not all though. Enough to have a pritty good impresion. This impresion concur with the rewiev and summary given on this forum earlier this year by - I think it was - Norwigianne.

I general I am just more into historical fiction and crimes which seems to drag my attention like a bee to a honeypot:flowers:.

Villemann, you clearly have an idealized idea of how long some processes take. It most certainly was already a work in progress to search for, hire and find an appropriate press person for the royal house. It takes 8 weeks just to find a competent communications person for a medium sized organization, never mind finding one who needs to understand the workings of a royal house from the get go, have some interest in the subject and be capable of doing the job.

I also doubt that the Royal Family scheduled any interviews solely because of your book.

It appears to me that you have a very high opinion of what your book is capable of accomplishing. I don't think any ONE publication or person could possibly claim credit for all of the changes that you are claiming credit for based solely on a book that you have written. Especially when you've never interviewed the main characters of whom you speak.

What specific event has led you to believe that the royal family values your opinion so highly?

Empress, when Elspeth reopened this thread , she clearly stated that she did not want anymore "I haven't read the book,but..." comments. Surely as a moderator, you agree that we should all adhere to these guidelines?

As a moderator, I agree with the guidelines. However, before I buy a book on anything, I like to know that the author's sources are genuine and reliable. I can read plenty of tabloids, so when I purchase a book, I want more real information than that. The problem here is that most of the reviews that I have read of the book written by actual journalists and not readers posting on your site refer to the lack of verifiable sources. I realize that most authors run into this sort of problem, but yours seems to be a bit more extreme than most. That, coupled with the fact that you have so far been unwilling to answer any direct questions that I have posted, makes me a little reluctant to plunk down my $20 + postage and packing until you can convince me that the book is based on more than just your word for things.

I have borrowed your book at the library and read some of it. Not all though. Enough to have a pritty good impresion. This impresion concur with the rewiev and summary given on this forum earlier this year by - I thing it was - Norwigianne.

I general I am just more into historical fiction and crimes which seems to drag my attention like a bee to a honeypot:flowers:.

Well, you stick to fiction and crime stories and I'll stick to the royal family. It is, however, my guess, you never got the final chaper in my book, where I list many of the major reasons for why, IMO, the Danish monarchy needs life support. As a Dane I am sure you know the word "tossegod." I think that word pretty much describes the relationsship you and many other Danes have with the royal family. There is nothing wrong in that. It is your prerogative, but the times are changing and the monarchy will have to change too - or face extinction!

Well, until the majority of the Danish population comes to the same conclusion that you as a Danish citizen or as a writer have come to, then I doubt seriously that an over 1000 year old monarchy is in any danger of needing life support or expiring anytime in the near future.

...[snipped] ... the times are changing and the monarchy will have to change too - or face extinction!
Miss Villemann,
I do apoligse, but you start sounding like Senator Obama. Your views are a bit too extreme, to say the least.
The Danish Royal family, along with a number of other royal families, has been proving that the Constitutional Monarchy can be the viable form of government. Given the fast paced external environment, the presence of a monarchy inspires a sense of community and nationalism. You would agree with me that there are grey cardinals behind the monarchy ensuring the stability of this societal institution.
By the way, I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency seek any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed.

So you're actually telling us that you and only you made the Royals progress?

You seem pretty sure of yourself ...

I know the inner workings of the palace. It was for many years my business to be on top of these matters. I then had some timeout while I raised my family, but when I decided to write my book, I got back in touch with a lot of old sources within and outside the palace. There was a new Lord Chamberlain and a few longtime and very loyal staff had left, but basically nothing had changed. I have seen more changes at Amalienborg in the past eight months than I have seen in the past 20 years. Is it all because of my book? Of course not! A severe tightening of the royal finances, for instance, had begun before 1015 was released. The Queen, who is a patron of the Danish Cancer Society, had stopped smoking in public before 1015 came out, BUT I take full credit for the changes I listed in my reply to Lila. The palace today, for instance, has a very capable and professional press secretary in Mrs Lene Balleby. I happen to know Mrs Balleby from the time, when we both worked at the Egmont Publishing House in Copenhagen.I was a journalist at the weekly "Hjemmet" and she was an executive assistant to the management of Egmont. The PR of the Danish Royal Family has never been in better hands!

Most people here are commenting on your comments, and not upon the book itself. I stated clearly that I had not yet read the book, but the great majority of my comments were directed at comments of yours.

I suggest you read my book - especially the final chapter! It answers a lot of your questions. Yes, I do seriously believe that my 1000 year old monarchy needs life support. As for me promoting my book and my views here. Let me just remind you, that I did not start this thread. If you feel uneasy with thist thread, perhaps you should take it up with you fellow moderators?

Miss Villemann,
I do apoligse, but you start sounding like Senator Obama. Your views are a bit too extreme, to say the least. The Danish Royal family, along with a number of other royal families, has been proving that the Constitutional Monarchy can be the viable form of government. Given the fast paced external environment, the presence of a monarchy inspires a sense of community and nationalism. You would agree with me that there are grey cardinals behind the monarchy that would ensure the stability of this societal institution.
By the way, I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency seek any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed.

I have never stated that the imperial household seeks advice from journalists, nor that they ought to. I just said that it is my impression after having been to the imperial palace in Tokyo and met the imperial family that their household is completely removed from the rest of Japanese society, whereas the Danish Royal Household, mainly due to it's constututional role, is more integrated in Danish society. I agree with you about community and nationalism and our royal family works both with fairness and due balance. However, I see other royal households in Europe adapting to the times, we are all living in. Why is it so outrageous to ask the Danish Royal family to do the same?

No you did not start it, but you are certainly making full use of it.

In any case, I don't think that I will buy your book, as I tend to want to read things, like kimebear, that have at least some verifiable sources. And I certainly don't have any desire to read a book where the author is making claims of having effected changes simply because of what she wrote. I just can't believe that anything that you may have written was so earth shattering.

And by the way, I generally read the reviews, not only of the people who have read the book, but of other published authors before I buy. Why would you put any negative reviews on your website? That would be like shooting yourself in the foot, so I read the reviews of the people here who have read the book. The majority of which are not glowing. I don't know about others, but when a majority says that the book is not really worth it, I'm not likely to plunk down $30 or more.

As a Dane I am sure you know the word "tossegod." I think that word pretty much describes the relationsship you and many other Danes have with the royal family.

Nice to knew that you consider me and my fellow countrymen to be "tossegode" which for all of you who doesn't understand danish is a word used to discount others meaning "So good in heart that it resembles stupidity".

Perhaps you to should act in accordance with the rules at this forum. Especially as you just have asked Empress to do so.

"Tossegod" is not a derogatory word. On the contrary. Its a term of endearment! Who just called my book "tittle-tattle" without having read all of it? Lets debate the monarchy, shall we?

I have never stated that the imperial household seeks advice from journalists, nor that they ought to. I just said that it is my impression after having been to the imperial palace in Tokyo and met the imperial family that their household is completely removed from the rest of Japanese society, whereas the Danish Royal Household, mainly due to it's constututional role, is more integrated in Danish society. I agree with you about community and nationalism and our royal family works both with fairness and due balance. However, I see other royal households in Europe adapting to the times, we are all living in. Why is it so outrageous to ask the Danish Royal family to do the same?
You are correct noting that the Danish Royal family is more integrated into the Danish society. At the same time, the role of monarchy is clearly defined in the Constitution. The Danish Royal family is not allowed to overstep certain boundaries. Members of the royal family seem to be hostages of preserving the mystique and pleasing the common people. It is a rather tough task. I am sure that members of the royal family do whatever they are required to do.
As for the Japanese Imperial family, I would like to re-phrase the sentence. "... I do not think that the Japanese Imperial family and the Imperial Household Agency would seek/listen to any advice from any journalists on how to operate or what should be changed” … Perhaps it is good that they are removed from the society at large.

Ahem, I believe we're here to discuss the book, not insult each other, each other's work, or make broad generalizations about the Danish people…

Furthermore, unless we're discussing the book - I believe the discussions on the Danish royal family belong in that forum. We do, as it has been mentioned earlier in this thread - have a topic for Frederik's candidacy for the IOC, and, provided people can behave, I'm sure there's plenty of other options as well.

Please get back to the book!

That being said:

I suggest you read my book - especially the final chapter! It answers a lot of your questions.
But to me, as I believe I stated in my review quite early in this thread written after I'd read the book for the first time, the final chapter of the book was the chapter that was, to me, quite a lot out of touch with the rest of the book writing-wise.

Where I quite enjoyed the first parts of the book - an overview which was rather good, in my opinion, and it was excellent reading material for a long trip by train :flowers: - I felt like the last chapter of the book belonged more on a blog, a message board or as an opinion piece in a newspaper.

Where the rest of the book seemed to be more about the history and the family, the last chapter seemed to be more about your fairly subjective opinions on the Danish monarchy. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, per se, but like all the interviews that came out about the book, it didn't really feel like it fit in the context of the previous parts.

All in all, I don't think it is as scandalous a book as royal posters would like to believe, and quite frankly not worth all the hype, but it was an interesting read for someone who hasn't followed the Danish tabloid press from birth. (Now, the Norwegian monarchy on the other hand ;))

Back
Top Bottom