The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
When is this book going to be available in English in the US? Does anyone know?
According to the author's English-language website, it's available on 1 August and can be purchased via her website or direct from the publisher, but it won't be available at the online outlets like Amazon. Here's the website so you can see what she says:

1015COPENHAGENK.COM

Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Nobility

Yes, my book is now available on my website. I look forward to discussing it with all of you. So many people have expressed an opinion without having read it. I hope we can have a constructive and civilized debate about the challenges facing the world's oldest monarchy.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:56 AM
Administrator

For Australian members...

Trine has an interview on A Current Affair at 6.30pm today (Tuesday), channel 9, discussing her book and the Danish Monarchy.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Administrator

OK, very short synopsis of what was broadcast:
Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material. So far she hasn't done so (apparently it's all up to her) and therefore "the future of the Monarchy is at stake". However, the Danes have high hopes that Mary can achieve this task and she needs to "connect" with the people by remembering she's Australian.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 AM
Nobility

Well, Fred may not want to be King, but he has to be, hasn't he?? Toughen up, stop moaning and get the job done in due course. I'm sure he will.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Courtier

Unhappy Poor Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material.
Gosh, that's a lot to expect from a commoner who has had very little to do with royalty before she met Frederik. He's known from a very young age what his future would hold and with that knowledge should be better prepared for his future role as King and, it would be expected of him to prepare his own son and heir to take over when the time comes. Perhaps as the younger royals come along and mingle more and more with the 'ordinary' people they realise that life as a Royal isn't all that it's hyped up to be. (JMO)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
For Australian members...

Trine has an interview on A Current Affair at 6.30pm today (Tuesday), channel 9, discussing her book and the Danish Monarchy.
It would be very nice if some Australian member can made us a sumary of the interview!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty View Post
It would be very nice if some Australian member can made us a sumary of the interview!
Warren did in this post Paty And if any non-Australian member wishes to view the segment, here is a video of the Mary segment of ACA last night.

And an article talking about the segment (there is also the same ACA video at the top of the article)
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Frederik doesn't want to be King and it's Mary's job to turn him into kingly material. So far she hasn't done so (apparently it's all up to her) and therefore "the future of the Monarchy is at stake". However, the Danes have high hopes that Mary can achieve this task and she needs to "connect" with the people by remembering she's Australian.
Wow a 5 minute clip and I'd say that about the only point you missed is that another divorce willl cause the monarchy to crumble.
Incredible.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Courtier

I watched half of the interview and shut it off. It sounds to me as though this woman is almost hoping that the monarchy fails. What a very pessimistic attitude toward the future of her country. Fred is shy, big deal, it doesn't mean that he won't carry out the role of King very admirably. He doesn't have to be the life and soul of the party (such as are other European Royals no names mentioned) as long as he is true to his country and it's future. He may not want to be King but it really isn't something he has much control over. He is going to have to make the best of it.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Warren did in this post Paty And if any non-Australian member wishes to view the segment, here is a video of the Mary segment of ACA last night.

And an article talking about the segment (there is also the same ACA video at the top of the article)
Thank you for the video link...the story of "chicken little" comes to mind. I don't agree that wives have to step up and make their husbands into leaders. I also don't see that Fred is having anymore of a problem than some other future Kings who seem to speak and ruffle feathers.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The Danes high hopes for the monarchy rely on Mary connecting with the people by remembering she's Australian? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I am sure Frederik will be a good King. OK he does not have a larger than life personality but there were others before him who hadn't and became much loved and respected monarchs (just to mention QE II's father George VI or Carl Gustaf of Sweden). Mary can make a difference but who knows if Frederik has to rely on that asset. Before he acutally becomes King which is a huge step we simply don't know if he will grow or fail. Being the best-prepared CP around as at least two of Frederiks peers are being hailed all the time is no guarantee for a successfull reign. Only time will tell.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Nobility

I am a royalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
I watched half of the interview and shut it off. It sounds to me as though this woman is almost hoping that the monarchy fails. What a very pessimistic attitude toward the future of her country. Fred is shy, big deal, it doesn't mean that he won't carry out the role of King very admirably. He doesn't have to be the life and soul of the party (such as are other European Royals no names mentioned) as long as he is true to his country and it's future. He may not want to be King but it really isn't something he has much control over. He is going to have to make the best of it.
Just to clarify: "This woman" is a a royalist. I want the Danish monarchy to survive for another millenium, bit it won't unless they reform.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Nobility

Turn down the Barbie-style

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMCS View Post
The Danes high hopes for the monarchy rely on Mary connecting with the people by remembering she's Australian? This doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Because a monarchy of today cannot survive - in my opinion - if it's all about style. As i said, it is no longer enough just to show up and look good. There has to be some substance to the work, you are doing, otherwise you are just another Paris Hilton. If CP Mary can tone down her Barbie-style and turn up her Aussie personality by trusting herself and all the experience, she brought into this marriage, then I think she can do a lot for my monarchy. Mary needs to find her true self, because that is the woman, CP Frederik fell in love with and he needs that woman to help him in his future job.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Nobility

Frederik needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am sure Frederik will be a good King. OK he does not have a larger than life personality but there were others before him who hadn't and became much loved and respected monarchs (just to mention QE II's father George VI or Carl Gustaf of Sweden). Mary can make a difference but who knows if Frederik has to rely on that asset. Before he acutally becomes King which is a huge step we simply don't know if he will grow or fail. Being the best-prepared CP around as at least two of Frederiks peers are being hailed all the time is no guarantee for a successfull reign. Only time will tell.
I don't agree with you on this one. I think Frederik will be a very average king unless he gets help. Ok, we have had lots of average monarchs in the past, but average will not do in a modern, globalized society. The Danes of Frederik's generation are watching their future king stumble through interviews - and life in general. He has hooked up to this IOC-candidacy despite the fact, that almost half of the nation - according to most polls - believe it is not a good idea. These polls I posted in a thread somewhere some time ago, by the way! Frederik's futue subjects are not seeing a Crown Prince getting on with the job of serving his country. All they are seeing is a lost Crown Prince. Why is this is such a sore issue? Why do people get so upset, when I mention these facts? Is it not better that we deal with these problems? Is it not better that Frederik gets some help ? Mary is his nearest and dearest. Surely, she can do something!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

I hardly think that it is fair for you to pass judgement on another person, especially someone that you either don't know or barely know personally by calling it a "barbie" style.

It's a bit much for anyone to make determinations on anothers personality simply by hearsay.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

After reading through this thread I don't think I want to read that book. I like books about royalty to be rather neutral accounts based on in-depth research but in this case it seems to me that the author has rather fixed opinions (and negative ones) which does normally not make for a trustworthy or good read. It's a bit like reading a biography of the Prince of Wales written by a Diana-fan. IMHO, of course.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
After reading through this thread I don't think I want to read that book. I like books about royalty to be rather neutral accounts based on in-depth research but in this case it seems to me that the author has rather fixed opinions (and negative ones) which does normally not make for a trustworthy or good read. It's a bit like reading a biography of the Prince of Wales written by a Diana-fan. IMHO, of course.
Now, how can one pass judgment on a book, one has not read? Beats me!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
Now, how can one pass judgment on a book, one has not read? Beats me!
I read your postings here and interviews on the net which have shown IMHO rather fixed and negative opinions. That's enough for me to decide that I don't wish to spend my money on this book - it's not a judgment on the book but on what I've seen from its author, unfortunately. There are quite some people here on these forums from whom I wouldn't want to read a book either.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.