The Family of Princess Sofia - The Hellqvists

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just off the top of my head I remember crown princess Mette Marit's brothers wedding being covered by the media, Prince Daniel's sister's wedding was covered and also Queen Maxima's brother when he got married received some media coverage. I don't think it is unusual.

Normally the press finds out when a family member of a royal gets married. When Daniel's sister got married, Expressen, Aftonbladet and the local press published photos of them the next day, but they hadn't told to the press before the wedding that they are getting married. The press wrote that despite much secrecy surrounding the wedding had a small crowd of journalists and photographers gathered before the wedding. And Daniel said to the press that the families hoped to keep the wedding private, and that is why he and Victoria came out to be photographed. Because Victoria was pregnant then, the press was following their every footstep.

Lina Hellqvist said also to Svensk Damtidning, that they want to keep their wedding private.

Last edited:
I think it is normal for the press to look for 'Hellqvist' stories at this point. Hopefully the stories won't get much traction in the long run.

The sisters probably planned this for a long time, and I don't think that Lina needed inspiration from Sofia to marry her fiancé. Not strange either that the tabloids know that Sofias sister is getting married. It's probably not a secret wedding...

I was just joking... I don't think Lina decided to get married in a spur of a moment after she witnessed her sister getting married... It was just a fun thought for me...

Accordin to Svensk Damtining Lina confirmed the news herself: I guess they found out and call her somehow...

Last edited:
Before the marriage in Sweden you have to apply for a Consideration of impediments to marriage. And that is obviously public information, because Svensk Damtidning had found out that Lina and Jonas had applied for a Consideration of impediments to marriage and it was passed on 26th June. That means that they have to get married in 4 months after the consideration has passed. So Svensk Damtidning has concluded that Lina and Jonas will get married in whatever coming weekend, possibly in August. Lina didn't tell to Svensk Damtidning that they are getting married in August.

Svensk Damtidning tells that Lina and Jonas have been a couple for a long time and lived together since 2012. Jonas works as a traffic planner in the municipality of Danderyd. Jonas is 35 years old, Lina 33.

Last edited:
If the Hellqvists are getting attention for a wedding, they better be prepared for the downside of tabloid focus. (This applies to any "commoner" family whose kin becomes a HRH or a HM by marriage.) Because of the royal tie their past and current missteps, screw ups and/or brushes with the law are fair game for reporting. They may not have asked to become public figures, but as far as the press is concerned they became public figures when their relative said "I do".

:previous: You really do your best to look for anything negative, don't you?
Lighten up, it's not like Sofia is your relative and you won't be hurt by anything she does and will do. The discussion about her past and role in the family is to cover that area.
And if you don't like the attention that Lina's wedding will generate simply because you don't like her sister, then don't look it up. I guess Lina and Sara are perfectly able to handle any publicity, it's not like Sofia's relationship with Carl Philip has been of a short duration so they have probably gotten used to it to some degree and they haven't been in the press that much.

The Swedish press is planning to turn the Hellqvists into Sweden's answer to the Middletons. The Cinderella/Pretty Woman story that is Sofia is great copy for them, and the family by extension is more story about Sofia. I found out the wedding on this forum, not looking it up. The point is they are targets for good and bad attention now because it's money in the bank for the press.

The Swedish press is planning to turn the Hellqvists into Sweden's answer to the Middletons. The Cinderella/Pretty Woman story that is Sofia is great copy for them, and the family by extension is more story about Sofia. I found out the wedding on this forum, not looking it up. The point is they are targets for good and bad attention now because it's money in the bank for the press.

I hope they don't. Let' them live their lives.

It's also worth noting that they will most likely receive a great deal of attention without seeking it. Look at the family of Letizia and Kate. These people go about their daily business and end up in the papers. There are a lot of people who believe that they seek attention. And to some extent it's true in terms of taking advantage of opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be possible because of who they are related to.

But it is not newsworthy for us to see pictures of them shopping or getting coffee. Or in the case of Father Middleton (mowing the grass). That' is not newsworthy not is it attention seeking in my book. And they shouldn't be expected to hide from the public because their families married someone who is newsworthy.

I personally don't find it odd that Sofia's sister is getting married. People tend to get married when other's in their circle (or family) marry. Nor is it odd that her engagement would be announced in the press. That happens to tons of couples who publish their engagements in newspapers. What is odd is that there are now people talking about it who aren't part of the circle of family and friends.

From Expressen
Now Sofia's sister gets soon her own prince
Princess Sofia is soon not the only one of the sisters with a wedding ring on her finger. In late August, it is the time for big sister Lina to say "yes" to her prince too.
- It will be very lovely, says the groom Jonas Frejd.
On May 21, the couple applied for a Consideration of impediments to marriage that they sent in to the Swedish Tax Agency. According to Svensk Damtidning, which was first with the news, their request was accepted on 26 June.
And now Jonas Frejd reveals that there will be a summer wedding.
- It will be in the end of August.
The details of the wedding are secret so far, he tells.
- It will be a private event, and we want to leave as much as possible as a surprise for our friends and family.
There is now speculation about whether the wedding will take place at the Älvdalen church. But Lena Schröder, who works in the parish of Älvdalen, has not received any such information.
- But she is welcome here. All are welcome to Älvdalen!, she says.
Expressen has sought Lina Hellqvist for a comment.
Prinsessan Sofia Hellqvists syster Lina ska gifta sig med Jonas Frejd _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
:previous: If that's true, I think that Jonas as made a mistake by talking to press... he hasn't revealed anything, true that, but he has made nothing but increase the press attention for them IMO.

Princess Sofia & Prince Carl-Philip will be present, of course.

Come on. Give them a break. No one in Sofias family has - as far as I know - said or done something inappropriate. It's okay to not like Sofia, but when you try to pin all sorts of bad manners or negativity to her relatives, it just gets ridiculous.

I also think the groom-to-be shouldn't have talk to the press if the goal is privacy. Now the media is going to be on the hunt for the location and scrutinize every bit of the ceremony. The gown, the reception, the honeymoon. The Hellqvists are not rich; I don't think the groom comes from money either. If this wedding looks upscale the question of cost is going to come up. Who's paying for it? The couple may have saved for a lovely, elegant wedding and honeymoon; but if it's perceived the cost of the nuptials are beyond their means, cue the articles and online comments that the Prince Couple or the SRF paid for it. Victoria and Daniel and Carl Philip and Sofia have had questions hurled at them about the cost of their honeymoons; to the point that the court information officer (CIO) had to put out statements that the honeymoons were paid with private funds. No tax dollars. It would be a shame Lina and her groom would be put in a position (hope not) to put out a statement that they paid for the wedding themselves (or what is the normal custom in a Swedish wedding). Or that Carl Philip and Sofia have contributed with personal funds, if that is the case.

I also think the groom-to-be shouldn't have talk to the press if the goal is privacy. Now the media is going to be on the hunt for the location and scrutinize every bit of the ceremony. The gown, the reception, the honeymoon. The Hellqvists are not rich; I don't think the groom comes from money either. If this wedding looks upscale the question of cost is going to come up. Who's paying for it? The couple may have saved for a lovely, elegant wedding and honeymoon; but if it's perceived the cost of the nuptials are beyond their means, cue the articles and online comments that the Prince Couple or the SRF paid for it. Victoria and Daniel and Carl Philip and Sofia have had questions hurled at them about the cost of their honeymoons; to the point that the court information officer (CIO) had to put out statements that the honeymoons were paid with private funds. No tax dollars. It would be a shame Lina and her groom would be put in a position (hope not) to put out a statement that they paid for the wedding themselves (or what is the normal custom in a Swedish wedding). Or that Carl Philip and Sofia have contributed with personal funds, if that is the case.

This is just ridiculous. Lina and her fiancé are two working adults (DINK, you know) who probably have been saving up for their wedding themselves. No one is going to question that here in Sweden. Give this a rest now.

Not satisfied with attacking just Princess Sofia, people are now going after her family, with all types of mean insinuations. This is downright pathetic.

That two members of the working- or lower middle class have a big wedding isn't that unusual in Sweden as most people with a steady income can afford to save up for it during a year or two. Given that I very much doubt that anyone will think twice over the cost of a wedding of the sister of a princess most people neither know a lot of or really care that much about.
Another thing that should be pointed out is that besides the odd picture and greetings from passing fans even the biggest stars in Sweden move about quite freely and unbothered so there's no doubt in my mind that the Hellqvists will be left alone in their day-to-day lives. Remember her parents live in a small, close-knit town where a stranger wouldn't go unnoticed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:

Actually i think *you* are the only one that comes up with these questions, not "the media"

Lina Hellqvist and Jonas Frejd got married today at a big boat in Stockholm. Svensk Damtidning claims that they were the only media representative at the wedding. Sofia and Sara Hellqvist were bridesmaids.
Just nu_ Lina Hellqvist har gift sig _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
https://instagram.com/p/6sMA9epLJY/?taken-by=svenskdamtidning
https://instagram.com/p/6sWEANJLC2/?taken-by=svenskdamtidning

Svensk Damtidning promoted in their newest issue that next week they will have photos of Carl Philip and Sofia at the family wedding.

Grandmother Britt told to Svensk Damtidning that it feels fantastic.
Mormor Britt_ Det känns fantastiskt! _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
Looking at the blurred pics (one photographed through a window), I'd say they are paparazzi pics. The pics really don't look 'allowed', imo.

Iasked because it seems Lina's grandmother gave the press a comment...

Based on what LadyFinn posted, Svensk Damtidning / Swedish Women's Weekly was present.

Based on what LadyFinn posted, Svensk Damtidning / Swedish Women's Weekly was present.

Yes, but was Svensk Damtidning only beside the boat at the street, or really at the wedding? At least they knew where the wedding would be, because on Wednesday's issue they promoted "Photo extra from the family celebration, Carl Philip and Sofia at a wedding... again!" at their next week's issue.
Perhaps we see tomorrow at their website more photos, or at their paper issue on Wednesday. Then we will see if they really were at the wedding.

Expressen is just quoting the story in Svensk Damtidning.
Hurra! Nu fick Lina Hellqvist sin prins _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Instagram, the happy couple
https://instagram.com/p/6sdCSsFPHA/?taken-by=hakanmontelius

Last edited by a moderator:
@Lady Finn - if SvenskDam/Swedish Women's Weekly is planning to do a spread on a wedding of person whose sibling happens to be a recently married in royal, someone is talking to the press. There would not be a photo array of any kind unless the press was granted access. And if they turn out to be just pap pictures from the street, someone tipped off the paps with the location of the wedding.

I hope that the bride and groom have very many happy years in front of them.

I think that Svensk Damtidning / Swedish Women's Weekly either had a reporter on the scene, or they are being fed details and may get access to photos. If it plays out that way, I don't have a big problem with it.

I love their outfits especially the groom. And I have to say I have a real desire to visit Sweden. The views of Stockholm from these two summer weddings are lovely.

Lovely photographs but are those reindeers printed on the paperwork that lady is holding?

Looks more like an elk to me.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom