Princess Sofia and Project Playground (Activities from July 2014)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Silvia's "HM Queen Silvia's Foundation Care about the Children" (which she got as a gift on her 70th birthday) is one of the partners of Project Playground, from PP's website:
Project Playground Partnerships

From PP's website:
"To become a Partner or a Main Partner of Project Playground, a long-term engagement of at least three years on a higher level is required. This means an annual support of at least 300 000 SEK or 1 000 000 SEK respectively. On this level we customize a cooperation that suits and benefit us both. The opportunities are endless and we would love to meet and discuss more!"
home

@Lady Finn - if I'm reading this correctly, Silvia's foundation has been contributing to Project Playground at least since 2012 to be classified as a partner now. That's two years before CP & Sofia announced their engagement. Why wasn't that made known there was an earlier royal tie to PP? The press has reported Sofia cut ties with PP a few months before marriage and she is an honorary chairwoman and any relationship with PP is recent.

@Lady Finn - if I'm reading this correctly, Silvia's foundation has been contributing to Project Playground at least since 2012 to be classified as a partner now. That's two years before CP & Sofia announced their engagement. Why wasn't that made known there was an earlier royal tie to PP? The press has reported Sofia cut ties with PP a few months before marriage and she is an honorary chairwoman and any relationship with PP is recent.

No, that doesn't mean that the Queen's Foundation has supported PP from 2012. The Queen's Foundation was founded in December 2013. The logo of the Queen's Foundation has been added to the website of Project Playground quite recently. I understand it like that PP wants a company/foundation/partner to engage themselves for three years to be able to become a partner/main partner and sign an agreement with PP. But I think they can make exceptions.

"HM Queen Silvia's Foundation Care about the Children" tells at their website that:
The applicant organization must meet the following criteria (among others):
Have an 90 account and / or be a member of organization FRII (valid for the Swedish organization). The website tells also that the Queen's Foundation grants project support for one year, with the option to apply again after a year.
Om stiftelsen _ HMD
Translation

Project Playground got a 90 account a couple of days before Carl Philip's and Sofia's wedding, and Project Playground has joined to organization FRII only this year.
FRII

So, according to the criterias of "HM Queen Silvia's Foundation Care about the Children", they could not have given money to Project Playground before 2015.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Lady Finn. But I'm still surprised about no concern for optics here.

Margareta Thorgren confirmed to Expressen, that Sofia flew to Cape Town over a week ago, she will among others attend at the 5-year anniversary celebrations of Project Playground. According to Thorgren Sofia has planned that for a long time, and according to information she will return to Sweden at the earliest in the end of next week.
Prinsessan Sofia har lämnat Sverige _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Sofia keeps a very busy schedule. This is her second trip to SA in a few months. I will have to wait for Nobels to see her in a a tiara.

Isn't it strange that Sofia has been there for so long?

Isn't it strange that Sofia has been there for so long?

As far as I know, she's not expected to be a full time royal. So she can chose to spend time without telling us what she does :) Maybe we'll know later on what she's been up to, but if not, that's fine as well.

As far as I know, she's not expected to be a full time royal. So she can chose to spend time without telling us what she does :) Maybe we'll know later on what she's been up to, but if not, that's fine as well.[/QUOTE/

Well, she has been on full display lately, I thought she wouldn't miss a tiara event.:whistling:

And about the full time royal: it almost looked as if the palace pr wnated to make clear that CP and Sofia are the "side couple" following V&D...

I REALLY hope to see that wonderful tiara with emeralds....a perfect beauty !

I think the sovereign determines when and how members of the SRF go to public engagements, especially when they overlap major events such as a state visit. It's not always individual choice. And a private trip cannot never be perceived as done on the taxpayer's dime.

I wonder if the pics of Sofia playing footbal are recent... she doesn't seem pregnant there...

Carl Philip and Sofia have an exclusive dinner tonight at Nio Rum. The guests must pay 2500 SEK in advance, the money goes to Project Playground.
Johan T Lindwall writes that Carl Philip and Sofia have for a long time planned a secret, most exclusive dinner in central Stockholm. They will do a replay of their wedding with invited guests - the very innermost circle of friends are invited to the lavish dinner.
The party starts at 18.30, the invitation has been strictly personal and Carl Philip and Sofia have themselves selected guests and reportedly it is a carbon copy of the guest list for their wedding. About 80 people are invited.
The purpose of the dinner is to generate money to Sofia's previous charity Project Playground - where Princess now after the wedding is the honorary chairman.
The invitation tells that people have to pay 2500 SEK to get to the dinner, a sum will go to Project Playground. The money must be paid in advance and it is clear that it is evening dress for the ladies and tuxedos for the gentlemen that apply.
During the evening Carl Philip and Sofia have an auction where a range of exclusive items are auctioned.
- There's a charity dinner which is planned since long back, says Margareta Thorgren from the court.
Prinsparet bjuder in till exklusiv fest _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Well, the dinner isn't a secret anymore, the court put it on Wednesday to the calendar.
EDIT: The court has taken the dinner away from the calendar. First it was put there, and now it has been taken away. Strange...
I just don't understand why they have to have this dinner on the same day as one of the work events the king and queen see as most important of the year, the Global Child Forum.

Last edited:
Carl Philip and Sofia have an exclusive dinner tonight at Nio Rum. The guests must pay 2500 SEK in advance, the money goes to Project Playground.
Johan T Lindwall writes that Carl Philip and Sofia have for a long time planned a secret, most exclusive dinner in central Stockholm. They will do a replay of their wedding with invited guests - the very innermost circle of friends are invited to the lavish dinner.
The party starts at 18.30, the invitation has been strictly personal and Carl Philip and Sofia have themselves selected guests and reportedly it is a carbon copy of the guest list for their wedding. About 80 people are invited.
The purpose of the dinner is to generate money to Sofia's previous charity Project Playground - where Princess now after the wedding is the honorary chairman.
The invitation tells that people have to pay 2500 SEK to get to the dinner, a sum will go to Project Playground. The money must be paid in advance and it is clear that it is evening dress for the ladies and tuxedos for the gentlemen that apply.
During the evening Carl Philip and Sofia have an auction where a range of exclusive items are auctioned.
- There's a charity dinner which is planned since long back, says Margareta Thorgren from the court.
Prinsparet bjuder in till exklusiv fest _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Well, the dinner isn't a secret anymore, the court put it on Wednesday to the calendar.
EDIT: The court has taken the dinner away from the calendar. First it was put there, and now it has been taken away. Strange...
I just don't understand why they have to have this dinner on the same day as one of the work events the king and queen see as most important of the year, the Global Child Forum.

and I do not see the connection with each other. This does not prevent sofia to participate. So no problem,

and I do not see the connection with each other. This does not prevent sofia to participate. So no problem,

I didn't mean that. I meant that the Global Child Forum is one of the most important events for the king and queen, they have founded it and see that as a very important tool in the work for the children's wellfare. The focus should be at the Global Child Forum on this day, and the dinner for Project Playground could have been organized on another day. It is a pity that Project Playground gets attention on this day.
"Sofia's luxury party - the guests have to pay thousands to get in"
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/74/1f/741f861973f54d21a745e1313dab6f85/502@70.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Lady Finn on that. I beleive it is not so difficult to organized some days later this party.

I was wondering why there were no pictures of the Global Child Forum event. A private charity function? That could have been planned around the GCF, especially when Sofia was scheduled to appear

I was wondering why there were no pictures of the Global Child Forum event. A private charity function? That could have been planned around the GCF, especially when Sofia was scheduled to appear

The court hasn't published photos of the dinner held a day before Global Child Forum on previous years either, so it is nothing special that there aren't any photos of the dinner.

And now the court put tonight's dinner again to the calendar...

I didn't mean that. I meant that the Global Child Forum is one of the most important events for the king and queen, they have founded it and see that as a very important tool in the work for the children's wellfare. The focus should be at the Global Child Forum on this day, and the dinner for Project Playground could have been organized on another day. It is a pity that Project Playground gets attention on this day.
"Sofia's luxury party - the guests have to pay thousands to get in"
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/74/1f/741f861973f54d21a745e1313dab6f85/502@70.jpg

I see what you mean, but I do not think that an event is more important than the other. The cover media is more important for the Global Child. For the rest, it will be gossip newspapers.

Will they continue to have a prominent role in PP? (especially Sofia, since she was her who was into it), It seems PP is still quite in the focus for them.

Will they continue to have a prominent role in PP? (especially Sofia, since she was her who was into it), It seems PP is still quite in the focus for them.

Sofia said when she retired from her work as the Secretary General of PP, that she will be a very active honorary chairperson. Carl Philip was a member of the board, and after the wedding he is a honorary member of the board. According to the court calendar Sofia attends at the PP board meetings, Carl Philip doesn't.
Member of the board
http://www.project-playground.org/board.aspx

Last edited:
Sofia said when she retired from her work as the Secretary General of PP, that she will be a very active honorary chairperson. Carl Philip was a member of the board, and after the wedding he is a honorary member of the board. According to the court calendar Sofia attends at the PP board meetings, Carl Philip doesn't.
Member of the board
home

Thanks. I've always thought that Sofia would focus more on events for the "palace" rather than PP.

I suppose one thing doesn't exclude the other. With many active members it is advisable for some to find a niche. Since Sofia was involved with PP before her marriage it makes sense to continue that. The Dutch RF did the same: Maxima as a banker is involved in finance projects at the UN, Margriet -a trained nurse- works for the red cross, Laurentien who volunteered in teaching people to write, was involved with an illiteracy project after her wedding, etc. If anything it makes their involvement more credible.

I fail to see what the issue is. I doubt there is anything on any-ones calendar that has not been approved by the King. How many fundraising dinner has not the Queen attended. $2,500 is a very low price to pay for a unique fundraising event. Perhaps there are attendees from the Global Child forum that are attending the dinner. It makes sense to have the dinner when foreign attendees are in Sweden anyway.

Back
Top Bottom