Sex, name, godparents and Duchy for Carl-Philip and Sofia's 1st child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child

• Boy

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Girl

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Twins - Boy, Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Girl, Girl

• Twins - Boy, Girl

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Oscar is the odd baby out, of the five grandkids he is the only one anyone guessed his first name.

I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?

I was thinking that, too. Or perhaps his younger brother, Prince Alexander of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?

There is a Hubertus in the immediate family as well. Princess Birgitta's son Prince Hubertus of Hohenzollern, Prince Carl Philip's cousin. I would think he would be a more likely choice.

:previous: That's right, I'd completely forgotten about him. And Princess Birgitta is CP's own godmother, so I think Hubertus of Hohenzollern sounds like a good suggestion. But I do believe the Swedes are fairly close to the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas, too.

:previous: That's right, I'd completely forgotten about him. And Princess Birgitta is CP's own godmother, so I think Hubertus of Hohenzollern sounds like a good suggestion. But I do believe the Swedes are fairly close to the Saxe-Coburg and Gothas, too.

Archduchess Zelia, your mentioning of the Swedish Royal Family does remind one that Princess Sibylla, Duchess of Västerbotten was originally from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. With the new Swedish royal children born, they are fourth generation (great-grandchildren of Sibylla). That means many happy years of association.

Yes. Andreas, the current Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (father of Hubertus) is Madeleine's godfather. Andreas' father was Princess Sibylla's youngest brother, making Andreas and Carl Gustaf first cousins. Andreas' father was the youngest of 3 sons but Leopold gave up his place in succession by unequal marriage, and Hubertus died in WWII.

The SCG family is often seen at Swedish events. Victoria serves as godmother to Prince Hubterus' daughter. He is a good candidate to either new prince.

Countess Bettina Bernadotte af Wisborg could also be chosen as a godparent. Carl Philip is the godfather of hers and Philipp Haug's son Emil.

Looking at their wedding for clues, possible godparents:

Patrick Sommerlath: his twins served as flower girls. CP is godfather to one, Maddie to the other. Maddie named him for Leo.

Jan-Ake: CP's best man may be a good choice for a friend for godfather

Tiara Larsson, one of the flowergirls, is Sofia's goddaughter. Perhaps her mother will be chosen by Sofia.

There are alot of speculation going on here in Sweden right now that the christening of Prince Alexander will take place at Öland during July or early August. Time will tell if it's true but i do belive Alexander will be christened around that time.

About godparents i guess at

H.R.H Prince Daniel

Mr Jan-Åke Hansson

Mrs Lina Hellkvist Frejd

A female friend of Sofia

Oland is the place where water for the royal baptisms is drawn. Was any royal christened there?

Oland is the place where water for the royal baptisms is drawn. Was any royal christened there?

Yes since the baptism of Crown Princess Victoria. Before that the water was officially taken from Jordan (in reality from The Royal Palace in Stockholm).

No christenings so far at Öland as far as i know atleast. The King was confirmed in Borgholm Church and Crown Princess Victoria in Räpplinge Church.
Princess Christina was confirmed in Gärdslösa Church where her sister Princess Margareta and John Ambler later married.

Would love to see Daniel named as godfather - he and CP seem close as brother-in-laws.

Dan would be nice but think they will follow the girls' route and do siblings not the spouses.

I still think 2 sisters, 2 friends, and likely a cousin. If six, then maybe a foreign royal.

If a cousin I am think Birgitta's son Hubertus. I think the middle name is a nod to his godfather (though it could simply be for the king). Birgitta is CP's godmother so fitting. Madeleine used the kids of 2 of her godparents for her children. Patrick (Walter was Madeleine's) was for Leonor, and Gustaf (Christina was Madeleine's) for Nicolas. CP, Victoria, Estelle and now Oscar all share a name with a godparent.

Could also be for a foreign royal. Possible Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha could be chosen if they do use a foreign royal.

Last edited:
The only two that I can think of are:
CP Victoria - Carl Philip's sister
Lina Frejd - Sofia's sister

With the christening of Prince Oscar behind us we can now begin to look forward to the christening of Prince Alexander. As they haven't announced the date and location by now, i think it will be by the end of August and in Stockholm (Carl Philip and Madeleine was baptized on August 31).
Or maybe in Södermanland, possibly Flen Church where the former Duke of Södermanland Prince Wilhelm's funeral and burial took place. It's close to Stenhammar Castle where Prince Wilhelm lived where Prince Alexander will likely live a lot and also inherite the disposal rights.

I think it's possible that Prince Daniel may be choosen as a godparent. He and Carl Philip is indeed very close. I can see Daniel and Madeleine being choosen for Alexander and Victoria and maybe Chris being choosen for a possible little brother/sister.

Last edited:
I think that the christening of Prince Alexander will take place at the end of the summer-holidays, so more or less in September, when everyone will be back from holidays.
Or maybe even in October like for Prince Nicolas

I would think that October would be too late, as Alexander will be 6 months and, if I'm not mistaken, swedish royals usually have their children baptized earlier. Maybe end of July oir August is more on the cards...

I would think that October would be too late, as Alexander will be 6 months and, if I'm not mistaken, swedish royals usually have their children baptized earlier. Maybe end of July oir August is more on the cards...

.... and the ancient Baptizing dress could be too small by then. So I am also opting for July....
Bye Bine

.... and the ancient Baptizing dress could be too small by then. So I am also opting for July....
Bye Bine

True that! Hadn' t thought about it! Yes, I would expect a press release in the next two weeks...

The only problem could be that a lot of potential guests are on their summer-holidays.
I think that the gown is still big enough for a six months old baby

It was rather large on Prince Oscar

I'm definitely thinking August. A good while after Oscar's christening and near the end of/after the summer holiday – a very convenient time for a royal christening. If it had been scheduled for July, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it by now. And, as Hans-Rickard mentioned, both CP and Madeleine were christened on 31 August so I reckon that's a pretty good bid in terms of sentimentality. If they choose to follow the unofficial tradition of christening Princesses on Tuesdays and Princes on Fridays, I think either 12 August or 26 August are pretty good guesses.

I guess it will take place sometime during the last 2 weeks of August. Swedish summer holidays are over by then. I think we can expect mostly swedish guests to this christening.

It would have been nice with a July christening at Öland but that would be in the middle of the holiday period for most working swedes so many potential guests will probably be unable to attend in July.
And lots of history pieces they are using for a royal christening (crowns, carpet, seraphim standard, cradle etc) are kept at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

According to Vorsten the christening of Prince Alexander will take place after the summer, like last year with the christening of Prince Nicolas (meaning it will be in the beginning or half October)
As far as I know summer ends on September 21st

When it is on a Friday I bet October 7th or October 14th

Last edited:
According to Vorsten the christening of Prince Alexander will take place after the summer, like last year with the christening of Prince Nicolas (meaning it will be in the beginning or half October)
As far as I know summer ends on September 21st

When it is on a Friday I bet October 7th or October 14th

I don't understand - why should summer end on just that exact date? In Sweden, most kids go back to school around 20'th of August. The most popular month for summer vacation is july. So I would say that summer ends at the end of august here.

I also agree with those who think that the baptism will be scheduled for sometime during the last week of august, or early september. That would be a practical time of year for most swedes.

They would have said after the summer holidays but it is written after the summer.
For us the summer ends on September 21st.
Last year, before the christening date of Prince Nicolas was known, it was said that the christening would take place after the summer and the christening took place on October 11th.

But let's wait and see

Yes but Nicolas was also born in June, so October wasn't a stretch. For a baby born in April that makes him six month or near so. Alex wasn't a very small baby to start with, that christening gown may seem a bit big on a 3 month old, but on a six month old :ohmy:

Yes, officially the fall equinox is September 21st, but that doesn't mean people mean exactly that. Summer doesn't start until June 21st, and yet Lady Charlotte's wedding was referred to as a 'summer wedding'. Labor day is often considered the end of summer over here. For others, the last day of summer holidays for kids, which sounds a little earlier in August for Sweden.

If the report is accurate they are likely referring to the end of the Swedish royal summer. They take their holidays in July and are back to duties some time in August:flowers:

The age of the child is not that important.
Désirée Magnuson, Gustaf and Vicky Magnuson's daughter was born in July 2014 and christened in March of the next year. She was 8 months old.

I think the gown is still very ample and could easily be used for a one year old

Let's wait and see
The King and Queen also have their 40 years of marriage celebrations on June 19th

I could imagine that they might want some space in their feast programs

Gustaf Magnuson's daughter was neither in the royal christening gown, which may look big on a 3 month old but a six month old is much larger, nor did he have a royal christening. Traditionally the royal christenings have been around the 3 month mark give or take. Nicolas' was considered a bit late. I highly doubt a christening in August, 2 months after his grandparent's anniversary, would be considered too close.

I also think October would be a bit late for a child born in April. And we could see at Nicolas christening last year that in october it can be quiet windy and cold in Sweden already. My guess is also for a christening in late August early Septemberg.
We also don't know if Vorsten is right. We will know it when there will be an announcement from the Royal Court.

They would have said after the summer holidays but it is written after the summer.
For us the summer ends on September 21st.
Last year, before the christening date of Prince Nicolas was known, it was said that the christening would take place after the summer and the christening took place on October 11th.

But let's wait and see

Just a comment, summer (in the Northern hemisphere) actually ends on September 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom