Sex, name, godparents and Duchy for Carl-Philip and Sofia's 1st child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child

• Boy

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Girl

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Twins - Boy, Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins - Girl, Girl

• Twins - Boy, Girl

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the names in Sofia's family and hope they choose the names from her family I like - Sofia's name is Sofia Kristina Hellqvist, her father's name is Erik Oscar Hellqvist and her mother's name is Marie Britt Rotman and I think her grandmother is also named Britt.

Girl: I am really hoping that if it is a girl she will be named Kristina and I hope Britt is one of the names as well.

Boy: I like Carl Erik Bertil Philip

Godparent: The odds certainly favor that Victoria will be a godmother and one of Sofia's sister. Other candidates include Barbro Ehnbom (Sofia's mentor), Jan-Åke Hansson (Carl Philip's best man) and also the uniformed man who has been pictured with Carl Philip a few times.

Are you talking about his aide de camp? He has 2, and I don't know if there is enough of a personal connection for him to name one as godparent.

I quite like Kristina. I could see it being a name option for either couple if they have a girl. The name is common to both the Hellquist and Westling families as well as the Bernadottes.

My guess:

Prince: Carl Philip Erik Gustaf, Carl Philip Jr., Carl Gustaf Jr., Erik Gustaf...
Princess: Marie Sofia Silvia (or maybe Sylvia), other names: Lina and Sara, I don't know how to place them in other name ideas...

Duchy: Dalarna

My guess:

Prince: Carl Philip Erik Gustaf, Carl Philip Jr., Carl Gustaf Jr., Erik Gustaf...
Princess: Marie Sofia Silvia (or maybe Sylvia), other names: Lina and Sara, I don't know how to place them in other name ideas...

Girl: Sara Lilian Sibylla Desiree; Philippa Christina(Kristina) Birgitta Marie; Lina Alice Silvia Victoria; Britt Alice Sophie Therese

Boy: Carl Erik Oscar Gustaf; Edmund Erik Philip Bertil; Erik Daniel Philip Nicolas; Carl-Daniel Frederick Edmund Bertil

i vote for a boy

for the duchy, i vote for a duke/duchess of:
Härjedalen
Norrbotten
Närke
Västmanland

At this point I'm pretty sure it's a girl. I think she will get the big duchy of dalarna or halland...

My stomach feeling says it is a girl, that Silvia and Marie will 2 of her 3 or 4 names and that she will be Duchess of Dalarna as an honour Sofia who are from Älvdalen in Dalarna.

Don't think they will use Halland so soon after Lilians death. A lot of people in Sweden remembers that Bertil and Lilian were Duke and Duchess of Halland and i think it should remain so for a while.

She may be a Princess Ingrid (after Sofias late paternal grandmother Ingrid Hellqvist and ofcourse also after Carl Philips late great aunt Queen Ingrid of Denmark).

I guess Prinsessan Ingrid Silvia Marie Britt, Hertiginnan av Dalarna

Last edited:
I think it will be a Duchy who had had a Duke before. perhaps for the second child they will use a Provinz who had not had a Duke before.

My stomach feeling says it is a girl, that Silvia and Marie will 2 of her 3 or 4 names and that she will be Duchess of Dalarna as an honour Sofia who are from Älvdalen in Dalarna.

Don't think they will use Halland so soon after Lilians death. A lot of people in Sweden remembers that Bertil and Lilian were Duke and Duchess of Halland and i think it should remain so for a while.

She may be a Princess Ingrid (after Sofias late paternal grandmother Ingrid Hellqvist and ofcourse also after Carl Philips late great aunt Queen Ingrid of Denmark).

I guess Prinsessan Ingrid Silvia Marie Britt, Hertiginnan av Dalarna

Dalarna could be a very appropriate choice.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Seeing how I have nothing to determine their taste in names, other than their dog's name ... I'm totally just gonna make guesses entirely based on the fact that they named their dog Siri and presumably like that name. :p So short, simple, Scandinavian, and both traditional and currently popular. And to go with Victoria's and Madeleine's kids, predictable middle names with more focus on close family than on old royal ancestors. All right.

Boy: Prince Axel Carl Erik Bertil

Girl: Princess Greta Silvia Marie Lilian

Godparents:
Crown Princess Victoria
Lina Hellqvist
Frida Vesterberg
A friend of Carl Philip
Some male royal probably

Other first names I considered:
Alvar, Arvid, Bertil, Carl, Folke, Gustaf, Hugo, Ludvig, Olof, Oscar, Vidar, Wilhelm
Alma, Alva, Astrid, Disa, Ebba, Hedda, Ida, Ingrid, Matilda, Märta/Märtha, Saga, Signe, Tyra/Thyra

(And a couple of years ago I would definitely have said Elsa, but, you know ...)

Hmm, I feel I have to rethink my guesses now ... Since Oscar (unexpectedly) only got three names, I guess Carl Philip and Sofia's child might have to do with three as well. So just Axel* Carl Erik for a boy - but that feels very similar to what Oscar just got so I don't know, maybe Axel Erik Bertil? Or Bertil Carl Erik, but that sounds like he's approximately 73 years old, so I hope not. For a girl, perhaps just Greta* Silvia Marie. Greta Lilian Marie sounds better but is too similar to Leonore Lilian Maria ... Nah, I think I'll just stand by my original guesses. :)

(* or any of the other names I considered in the previous post, except Oscar of course)

I still think Dalarna is very likely. Estelle and Oscar couldn't have Gästrikland (where Daniel is from), since Madeleine has that duchy already, and Chris isn't from Sweden so naturally Leonore and Nicolas couldn't get anything connected to him, but since Dalarna is free it seems very appropriate for this child. :)

Now the 2 sisters had a girl first and then a boy. I'm hoping the brother has a boy first and later a girl. Just for the symmetry in the family :)

Now the 2 sisters had a girl first and then a boy. I'm hoping the brother has a boy first and later a girl. Just for the symmetry in the family :)

And the brother, the Crown Prince until Sweden changed the law retro-actively, and a firstborn son would represent the direct and unbroken line of the Bernadotte kings, still the most senior dynatic male agnates.

If he follows the family pattern, the firstborn will be a girl, but a boy would be nice since he'd be so close in age to two male cousins.

I would predict they'll choose a fairly mainstream first name and save the family names for the middle.

Frederik or Edmund are my guesses for a prince if they use a family name. They could also pick a name they just like out of Sweden's top 20, like Lucas, Elias, Alexander, etc. Maybe they'll give him a double name, like Carl Johann. I would guess her father's name, one of the king's names, and Bertil will be middles.

For a girl, the same. I would guess either Silvia or Alice would be middles, along with Marie. The first name will probably be popular in Sweden. Maybe Olivia, Emilia, Isabelle.

So it's likely names that won't be considered would be those used by Madeleine or Victoria:
Boys: Carl, Gustaf, Oscar
Girls: Silvia, Lilian
I never guess correctly so I don't even try :) but it will be interesting to see what the have and their name choices

The last duke of Dalarna was Carl Johan Bernadotte, and as his widow still is alive (even if she never was duchess of Dalarna) I doubt that duchy will be used.

My final guesses:

I still think it's a boy:

HRH Prince Carl Johan Bertil of Sweden.

If a girl:

HRH Princess Lilian Silvia Marie of Sweden.

Duchy: Halland.

Godparents:

Prince Daniel of Sweden.
Prince Manuel of Bavaria.
Lina Hellqvist.
A friend of Prince Carl Philip.
A friend of Princess Sofia.

The last duke of Dalarna was Carl Johan Bernadotte, and as his widow still is alive (even if she never was duchess of Dalarna) I doubt that duchy will be used.

But they created Estelle "Duchess of Östergötland" while Kristine Bernadotte, widow of the last Duke of Östergötland (Prince Carl Bernadotte) was alive so that apparently doesn't matter

But they created Estelle "Duchess of Östergötland" while Kristine Bernadotte, widow of the last Duke of Östergötland (Prince Carl Bernadotte) was alive so that apparently doesn't matter

But Kristine and Carl were never so close with the royal family. Carl Johan was close with Victoria and supported Victoria and Daniel at their relationship. Carl Johan and Gunnila were for instance invited to Victoria's and Daniel's engagement dinner on the day their engagement was published.

But Kristine and Carl were never so close with the royal family. Carl Johan was close with Victoria and supported Victoria and Daniel at their relationship. Carl Johan and Gunnila were for instance invited to Victoria's and Daniel's engagement dinner on the day their engagement was published.

I know but my comment was more about the principle wich proves that there can very well be a new Duke/Duchess of Dalarna before Gunnila have passed away.

I don't think that Victoria, nor anyone else in the Swedish Royal family thought about Carl Johan as "Duke of Dalarna", something he had not been since 1946. And Carl Johan himself was not interested in any titles and said many times that, unlike Sigvard he did not miss his title one single day.

I know but my comment was more about the principle wich proves that there can very well be a new Duke/Duchess of Dalarna before Gunnila have passed away.

I don't think that Victoria, nor anyone else in the Swedish Royal family thought about Carl Johan as "Duke of Dalarna", something he had not been since 1946. And Carl Johan himself was not interested in any titles and said many times that, unlike Sigvard he did not miss his title one single day.

Both Marianne, Gunnila and while still alive their two husbands are/was mentioned in the Court calendar as members of the Royal family something that, to my knowledge, Prince Carl and his Kristin wasn't. Though I'm just writing from memory here so I could be wrong?

And Carl Johan himself was not interested in any titles and said many times that, unlike Sigvard he did not miss his title one single day.

I love Carl Johan's first wife Kerstin's comment when Sigvard decided to reclaim his royal title "There's no use in crying over spilled milk... especially not if you spilled it yourself"

Both Marianne, Gunnila and while still alive their two husbands are/was mentioned in the Court calendar as members of the Royal family something that, to my knowledge, Prince Carl and his Kristin wasn't. Though I'm just writing from memory here so I could be wrong?

Carl and Kristine had the status of members of the Swedish (and Norwegian) royal family but not of the swedish Royal house. All Princes and Princess'es who lost their titles upon their marriage (and their spouses) is/were members of the swedish Royal family but no longer of the swedish Royal house until their deaths.

Carls daughter from his 1:st marriage with Elsa Von Rosen, Madeleine Kogevinas is close to the Royal couple.

I love Carl Johan's first wife Kerstin's comment when Sigvard decided to reclaim his royal title "There's no use in crying over spilled milk... especially not if you spilled it yourself"

Haha me too :) She was spot on !

Last edited:
Now that Oscar has 3 names, I have a feeling this baby will only have 3. It seems to me only the next heir is getting 4 (only 1 of 4 grandkids who does).

I honestly don't see them going 'top 20'. Unless the name also is either royal or family. Maybe a bit obscure like Estelle or a Hellqvuist name.

I don't rule out Carl, Gustaf or Silvia being used even if the girls used them. Common middle names is not rare in cousins.

Male:
Carl Erik Bertil- two grandpas and Uncle Bertil

female:
Kristina Silvia Marie- Sofia's middle, two grandmas

If they avoid the names used by the girls:

Boy:
Bertil Folke Eric- Folke in honor of CG (one of his middle names)

Girl:
Kristina Renate Britt- for the middle names of Sofia and two grandmas (since Marie/Mary have been used by Maddie and Vic)

Godparents:
Victoria
Lena or Sarah Hellqvist
male friend of CP
female friend of Sofia
male foreign royal

Since V&D used Carl and Oscar (great choices, by the way) and the siblings don't seem to be choosing same names for their children I'm updating my guess/wish from Carl Theodor Oscar Bertil To Edmund Erik Theodor Bertil. Or Edmund Erik Hubertus, that would flow nicely!

I still think it's a girl and stick Linnéa Marie Renate Ingrid. Astrid and Alice would be wonderful, too, I suggested those names for Victoria's girl.

And the brother, the Crown Prince until Sweden changed the law retro-actively, and a firstborn son would represent the direct and unbroken line of the Bernadotte kings, still the most senior dynatic male agnates.

The operative word is "king", a title Carl Philip will never have. The government broke that direct line effective Jan. 1, 1980. On March 2, 2016 CP officially became 4th in line to the Silver Throne. He, along with Sofia, are outranked by a 4 year old and an infant. He has to walk behind them and defer to them now. At this point in time it doesn't matter if Carl Philip is a senior dynastic male agnate. He goes back to the number 3 slot when Victoria takes the throne, but in the end he cannot be above the queen, her heir(ess) or her spare.

The operative word is "king", a title Carl Philip will never have. The government broke that direct line effective Jan. 1, 1980. On March 2, 2016 CP officially became 4th in line to the Silver Throne. He, along with Sofia, are outranked by a 4 year old and an infant. He has to walk behind them and defer to them now. At this point in time it doesn't matter if Carl Philip is a senior dynastic male agnate. He goes back to the number 3 slot when Victoria takes the throne, but in the end he cannot be above the queen, her heir(ess) or her spare.

You make it sound like Carl Philip would be humiliated by this. My feeling is that he's very comfortable with his position as it is right now. I don't think he would want to be the heir to the throne, with all that it means. He seems very happy with his life at the moment. And I'm sure that he, along with his wife and children, will do what they can to support the future queen and her family, as well as enjoying a bit of privacy in between.

You make it sound like Carl Philip would be humiliated by this. My feeling is that he's very comfortable with his position as it is right now. I don't think he would want to be the heir to the throne, with all that it means. He seems very happy with his life at the moment. And I'm sure that he, along with his wife and children, will do what they can to support the future queen and her family, as well as enjoying a bit of privacy in between.

As you, I see 3 royal children very happy, each in their position. And seen in their relationship, there is no rivalry. This is far from the case in other monarchies.

I think the baby will be a girl. She will be duchess of Dalarna, Halland or Västmannland

If they want one royal foreign godparent, I think they'll go for one of the Scandinavian royals.
If they want two European royals as godparents, Queen Máxima seems to be a good option in my eyes. She and Carl-Phillip seem to be close.

I believe she will have a son and I'm almost certain Bertil will be part of his names.

When Estelle was created duchess of Östergötland, Carl Bernadotte had been dead for nine years, while it's four years since Carl Johan Bernadotte died.

There might also have been a thought of making a connection between a duke/duchess of Västergötland with a duke/duchess of Östergötland, as Carl Bernadotte's father had been duke of Västergötland, as Östergötland and Västergötland are two of the parts of Götaland (Skåne is also one of the parts of Götaland).

If looking at a similar connection between a duke of Värmland and his child, perhaps the child will be duke/duchess of Södermanland (if a boy) or duke/duchess of Västmanland (if a girl), as it was the future king Gustav V who was duke of Värmland before Carl Philip. Why Södermanland for a boy, it's because of Stenhammar castle, as it was bequeathed to the Swedish government with a wish that it was to be leased to a male member of the SRF, preferably a duke of Södermanland.

Värmland, Södermanland and Västmanland are three of the counties of Svealand, while Madeleine's and Nicolas' duchies are parts of the third of the traditional lands (landsdelar) of Sweden, Norrland. Gotland is counted as a part of Götaland, but as it's in the middle of the Baltic Sea, it can be seen as an independent part of Sweden (at least that's what the citizens of Gotland want to do).

Boy

Name:

Bertil Carl Erik

Godparents:

Prince Daniel
One of the Helqvist sisters
A friend of Carl Philip
A friend of Sofia
A Bernadotte/Sommerlath cousin

I don't see any royals as godparents, except for family

Status
Not open for further replies.