The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Guess the sex of Carl Philip and Sofia's first child
Boy 46 67.65%
Girl 22 32.35%
Twins - Boy, Boy 0 0%
Twins - Girl, Girl 0 0%
Twins - Boy, Girl 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm definitely thinking August. A good while after Oscar's christening and near the end of/after the summer holiday – a very convenient time for a royal christening. If it had been scheduled for July, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it by now. And, as Hans-Rickard mentioned, both CP and Madeleine were christened on 31 August so I reckon that's a pretty good bid in terms of sentimentality. If they choose to follow the unofficial tradition of christening Princesses on Tuesdays and Princes on Fridays, I think either 12 August or 26 August are pretty good guesses.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

I guess it will take place sometime during the last 2 weeks of August. Swedish summer holidays are over by then. I think we can expect mostly swedish guests to this christening.

It would have been nice with a July christening at Öland but that would be in the middle of the holiday period for most working swedes so many potential guests will probably be unable to attend in July.
And lots of history pieces they are using for a royal christening (crowns, carpet, seraphim standard, cradle etc) are kept at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

According to Vorsten the christening of Prince Alexander will take place after the summer, like last year with the christening of Prince Nicolas (meaning it will be in the beginning or half October)
As far as I know summer ends on September 21st

When it is on a Friday I bet October 7th or October 14th
Old 06-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
According to Vorsten the christening of Prince Alexander will take place after the summer, like last year with the christening of Prince Nicolas (meaning it will be in the beginning or half October)
As far as I know summer ends on September 21st

When it is on a Friday I bet October 7th or October 14th
I don't understand - why should summer end on just that exact date? In Sweden, most kids go back to school around 20'th of August. The most popular month for summer vacation is july. So I would say that summer ends at the end of august here.

I also agree with those who think that the baptism will be scheduled for sometime during the last week of august, or early september. That would be a practical time of year for most swedes.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

They would have said after the summer holidays but it is written after the summer.
For us the summer ends on September 21st.
Last year, before the christening date of Prince Nicolas was known, it was said that the christening would take place after the summer and the christening took place on October 11th.

But let's wait and see
Old 06-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes but Nicolas was also born in June, so October wasn't a stretch. For a baby born in April that makes him six month or near so. Alex wasn't a very small baby to start with, that christening gown may seem a bit big on a 3 month old, but on a six month old

Yes, officially the fall equinox is September 21st, but that doesn't mean people mean exactly that. Summer doesn't start until June 21st, and yet Lady Charlotte's wedding was referred to as a 'summer wedding'. Labor day is often considered the end of summer over here. For others, the last day of summer holidays for kids, which sounds a little earlier in August for Sweden.

If the report is accurate they are likely referring to the end of the Swedish royal summer. They take their holidays in July and are back to duties some time in August
Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

The age of the child is not that important.
Désirée Magnuson, Gustaf and Vicky Magnuson's daughter was born in July 2014 and christened in March of the next year. She was 8 months old.

I think the gown is still very ample and could easily be used for a one year old

Let's wait and see
The King and Queen also have their 40 years of marriage celebrations on June 19th

I could imagine that they might want some space in their feast programs
Old 06-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Gustaf Magnuson's daughter was neither in the royal christening gown, which may look big on a 3 month old but a six month old is much larger, nor did he have a royal christening. Traditionally the royal christenings have been around the 3 month mark give or take. Nicolas' was considered a bit late. I highly doubt a christening in August, 2 months after his grandparent's anniversary, would be considered too close.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

I also think October would be a bit late for a child born in April. And we could see at Nicolas christening last year that in october it can be quiet windy and cold in Sweden already. My guess is also for a christening in late August early Septemberg.
We also don't know if Vorsten is right. We will know it when there will be an announcement from the Royal Court.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
They would have said after the summer holidays but it is written after the summer.
For us the summer ends on September 21st.
Last year, before the christening date of Prince Nicolas was known, it was said that the christening would take place after the summer and the christening took place on October 11th.

But let's wait and see
Just a comment, summer (in the Northern hemisphere) actually ends on September 23.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It would be nice for me if the christening was in October since October 1 is my birthday But I think we'll just have to wait and see until an official announcement is made, although I doubt the christening will be soon, due to Oscar's. I'm just making a wild guess that the christening could take place in either one of August, September or October.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Gustaf Magnuson's daughter was neither in the royal christening gown, which may look big on a 3 month old but a six month old is much larger, nor did he have a royal christening. Traditionally the royal christenings have been around the 3 month mark give or take. Nicolas' was considered a bit late. I highly doubt a christening in August, 2 months after his grandparent's anniversary, would be considered too close.
Of course Désirée did not wear the royal christenings gown and her christening was different from a royal christening.
But why should a child be christened at 3 months age?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't say babies should. I said Swedish royal babies usually are. There is a difference.

Estelle: born February 23, christened May 22, 1 day short of 3 months old.
Leonor: born February 20,christened June 8. 3 1/2 months old
Nicolas: born June 15 christened October 11. almost 4 months old.
Oscar: born March 2, christened May May 27, a week short of 3 months
Victoria: born July 14, christened September 27, 2 1/2 months old
CP: born May 13, christened August 31, 3 1/2 months
Madeleine: born June 10, baptized August 31, 2 months 3 weeks old

The latest was Nicolas at just short of 4 months. Alex hits that mid August.

There are also practical reasons like not fitting a baby into a snug antique christening gown. The cooler weather as seen at Nico's in October.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Anything clear about when the christening date will be announced?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

The christening dates seem to be released between 1.5/2 months before. Oscar and Estelle were a month old, and christened almost 2 months later. Leonor and Nicolas' were announced a bit later, but they were also christened a bit later.

If he is baptized in August which seems likely, I would expect an announcement in the next few weeks.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Commoner

Old 07-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautiful family!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:56 PM
Majesty

Thanks for good-quality photos!
Prince Alexander is a cherubic baby.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 PM
Courtier

What a beautiful family. Congratulations to Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia.

Prince Alexander seems to look like his mother.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 AM
Nobility

Beautiful photos. I see a strong resemblance to Sofia's dad.