Boy 46 67.65%
Girl 22 32.35%
Twins - Boy, Boy 0 0%
Twins - Girl, Girl 0 0%
Twins - Boy, Girl 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope the baby will get a unexpected name as it was for his cousins. (Only Oscar was a bir predicable).

I would like a Thomas Carl Erik

Old 04-20-2016, 10:11 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I hope the baby will get a unexpected name as it was for his cousins. (Only Oscar was a bir predicable).

I would like a Thomas Carl Erik

Naming him Carl (the most common name among Swedish monarchs) may be actually controversial as some people might interpret it as a statement by the King that Carl Philip is the most senior male agnate in the House of Bernadotte and that his firstborn son is his heir as head of the family. I know it is far-fetched, but, given the history surrounding the change to the Law of Succession and the King's personal opinion on the matter, it is not inconceivable that the controversy might arise.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Naming him Carl (the most common name among Swedish monarchs) may be actually controversial as some people might interpret it as a statement by the King that Carl Philip is the most senior male agnate in the House of Bernadotte and that his firstborn son is his heir as head of the family. I know it is far-fetched, but, given the history surrounding the change to the Law of Succession and the King's personal opinion on the matter, it is not inconceivable that the controversy might arise.

I would appreciate a new name. But knowing that this baby is a boy, and the opinion of the king, I don't expect that.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
While I agree that Carl is a kingly name, there are precedents for using it for younger sons and even a son of a younger son (Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland).

I hope the king will not publicly insinuate that Prince Carl Philip's son should be the future head of the house, but if that is his wish, he might give his grandson the duchy of Södermanland, which is one of the duchies that formerly belonged to Swedish monarchs of the House of Bernadotte. The others are Värmland, Östergötland, and Skåne, which King Carl XVI Gustaf granted to Prince Carl Philip, Princess Estelle, and Prince Oscar respectively.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM
Aristocracy

Axel Carl Bertil Erik
Old 04-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we will only see 3. The only grandchild with 4 is Estelle.

I would laugh if they named him Axel. All I would think of is this

Prince Axel - Sofia the First Wiki - Wikia
Old 04-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Nobility

Carl Axel Erik Bertil

or less common

Gustav Carl Erik (Bertil)
Arthur Carl Erik (Bertil)
Petrus Carl Erik (Bertil)
Sebastian Carl Erik (Bertil)
Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
While I agree that Carl is a kingly name, there are precedents for using it for younger sons and even a son of a younger son (Prince Carl, Duke of Östergötland).

I hope the king will not publicly insinuate that Prince Carl Philip's son should be the future head of the house, but if that is his wish, he might give his grandson the duchy of Södermanland, which is one of the duchies that formerly belonged to Swedish monarchs of the House of Bernadotte. The others are Värmland, Östergötland, and Skåne, which King Carl XVI Gustaf granted to Prince Carl Philip, Princess Estelle, and Prince Oscar respectively.
Both Östergötland and Södermanland was also in the past given to younger sons. Östegötland even to the son of a younger son (the late Prince Carl Bertnadotte hwas Duke of Ösgtergötland before his marrriages and loss of successioin rights and Titles). And Prince Vilhelm, the second son of King Gustaf V. was Duke of Södermanland.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

Until the king and his son, Carl was in fact more commonly used for younger sons.

-the king's father was Gustaf Adolph, his youngest brother Carl Johan
-the king's grandfather was Gustaf Adolph was born Oscar, his younger brother was Carl (they both went by secondary names, Carl went by Wilhelm)
-Gustav V's younger brother was Carl, Duke of Vastergotland

Until CG and CP, the last first born son to be named Carl was Oscar I's eldest son who reigned as Charles XV and his son who died in infancy when Oscar was still king. Oscar's father was the first Bernadotte king Charles but he notably didn't give the name Carl to his only son.

Before the Bernadottes:
-Charles XIII (who Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte was the heir of) was a younger son of Adolf Frederik. Gustav III was his elder brother.
-Gustaf III's eldest son and heir was Gustav IV, his younger son was named Carl Gustav, Duke of Smaland
-Carl IX was the very youngest of his father's multiple children, Eric XIV and John III of Sweden were his older brothers
-Carl VII was the younger son of Sverker 1 of Sweden

So if this baby is Carl he would be in good company.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Axel is not a bad suggestion, actually. It's a fairly popular name in Sweden (in 2015's top 10, IIRC) and it was the name of Princess Margaretha of Sweden's husband, Prince Axel of Denmark.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I was laughing because of my link. When I think of Princess Sofia and a Prince Axel I think of 'Sofia the first'. That's why I am laughing.

Though I think Axel seems a more likely future Danish name IMO.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Nobility

The naming and duchy awarding tomorrow would tell if the king really wants his son back in as crown prince. The duchy the baby gets should be on par with Leonore and Nicolas'. The name - that's tricky. If named after a monarch, it can be interpreted that this prince should be closer to the crown than he is. All parties involved need to be politic in the choosing of the name.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Nobility

@countessmeout - I think when Victoria is queen she will see to it that Daniel is fully recognized as the first gentleman of Sweden and as such has pre-eminence over others in the family, with the exception of Silvia. (I guess this has to go by the Riksdag.) CP may be the head of the agnate line, but he is not a future sovereign and neither is his firstborn son.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I think we will only see 3. The only grandchild with 4 is Estelle.

I was thinking of that too, but I just cannot see any of those names not included amongst the little prince's names. Maybe it could be three by counting Carl-Something as one? But I just cannot see them not using Carl, his dad's and paternal grandfather's name, Erik, his maternal grandfather's name, Bertil, whom CP was really close to and well indeed something "fresh and new" so that little prince gets his own little name.

I think that's a really cute show. I bet little Estelle watches it with her little cousins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Axel is not a bad suggestion, actually. It's a fairly popular name in Sweden (in 2015's top 10, IIRC) and it was the name of Princess Margaretha of Sweden's husband, Prince Axel of Denmark.
I was indeed thinking of Princess Margaretha's husband. Thank you for the baby name information too! I didn't know it was a popular name these days. I think it sounded cool.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Even double barrel first names seem to be counted as 2. CP has four names like his sisters, Carl Philip counting as 2.

Like Estelle, Leonor and Nicolas, I think the baby will get his 'personal' name first. But like Estelle, be a name in honor of someone the couple has a connection to. I am leaning more towards Bertil Carl Erik now.

Quote:
I think that's a really cute show. I bet little Estelle watches it with her little cousins
I wonder if Uncle CP has ever watched the show with her. He seems to be a doting Uncle They already have their own Princess Sofia, who knows, they may think it cool to have their own Prince Axel
Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The name and title has been released: Prince Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil. Duke of Sodermanland.

This thread has been re-opened and OT bickering has been removed. Please REPORT posts that are deemed offensive or off topic.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?
Old 04-21-2016, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

No idea for the godparents, it's always a mistery to me. Victoria would be the ony safe bet IMO.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I am thinking a sister from each side, a friend from each side and then no guess on the other 1 or 2
Old 04-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
I wonder if the Hubertus is an indication that Carl Philip's relative, Prince Hubertus of Saxe Coburg Gotha is going to be a godfather?
I think Hubertus might be for the King.

I like Alexander as a choice. I wasn't expecting that at all.