Public Opinion of Prince Carl Philip

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cepe

Majesty
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of conversations about his future wife, but what is the popular opinion of Carl-Phiip? Both in terms of his life-style and his performance of royal duties.

This is not a thread to discuss Sofia - enough of those already.

Carl-Philip has never been very impressive to me. He seems like a stereotypical example of an indulged rich boy whose parents gave him everything in the world but never had any expectations of him in return.

Being the spare in a royal family is tricky. They get all of the privileges but none of the responsibilities.

Now that he's marrying perhaps he will become more focused on some sort of work or more royal duties.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
Carl Philip has lived in Sweden and done work events there. During the years it has been complained that he should do more work duties. He has been working a little more during the last years but according to his recent interview he spends 3-4 days a week at their studio with Oscar Kylberg designing if he doesn't have a royal work event. But plus point is that Carl Philip has done also the bread and butter events. And he does at least one event a year at his duchy Värmland. He is still racing, sometimes there are comments like "does he never grow up". People are joking about his racing skills quite hard at the social media every time he crashes at STCC, and normally that happens at least once during a racing weekend.

Last edited:
The only royals we hear about here in the U.S. is Prince's William and Harry. The only things I have heard and read about him was he was a play boy and liked to party. Plus I have heard about his racing in Sweden. Carl is what 36? I think he needs to grow up and take on some more duties. Just cause his the spare don't mean he cant get a job.

Based on two conversations with Swedes, I have understood that Prince Carl Philip is expected to work more. When I asked "What exactly do you want him to do?", people said that he should undertake more engagements by taking off some load from Crown Princess Victoria's agenda, or pick a serious charity. One person wished Prince Carl Philip led a more productive life by having a military career and raising through the army ranks.

Last edited:
Prince Carl Philip works with his interests: agriculture, design and racing.

I don't think his work schedule is a lot different from other Monarchs second born children, like Princess Martha-Louise of Norway, Prince Joachim of Denmark and Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (who's the third born, but his older brother renounced his rights).

I think Carl Philip to do many things. It has the official acts, the company with Oscar Kylberg and also participates in races. I think Carl Philip will have more official acts after marriage. Carl Philip does a good job.

Carl-Philip has never been very impressive to me. He seems like a stereotypical example of an indulged rich boy whose parents gave him everything in the world but never had any expectations of him in return.

Being the spare in a royal family is tricky. They get all of the privileges but none of the responsibilities.

I agree with this post. But I also agree with Pranter that stripping him of his title of Heir was unjust. Maybe as Heir his upbringing would have instilled more discipline, and his character would be different, if that had not occurred.

Last edited:
As for public opinion about CP, I can say I don't know much about what the Swedish people think, but my opinion is similar to that which some have already expressed: he never really seemed to grown up. I realize that happens to a lot of Royal "spares," but it still makes me a bit sad somehow.

After some discussion, the moderators have decided that this thread can be reopened as the discussion on what the public thinks of Carl Philip (as well as his siblings) does come up every now and then.

However: this is not a thread to debate or discuss the 1979 constitutional change that altered the line of succession. There is a thread for that already, found here. Posts in this thread that discuss the change will either be moved to that thread or deleted.

Whatever people think of him now ( and I have no idea what that is ) that could change when he's married with a couple of children

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

As an Australian, I'm not really sure what the Swedes expect either. Is there a push to streamline the monarchy more in Sweden like in a lot of other countries? The King and Queen still seem very active, and Victoria and Daniel are very popular right?...I imagine when Victoria is Queen the expectations of him will change again. It seems to me that someone might be expected to work as the son of a King but when they are brother of a Queen, they are kind of left out in the cold so to speak. I mean, the Kings sisters aren't seen very often, is Christina the only one that still lives in Sweden?

Oh my goodness, I am old enough to remember this same conversation when Elizabeth first became queen. P. Margaret was a beautiful young woman who only 40% of UK citizen thought she was the "right" personality or conduct to be of great help to her sister. Well known playgirl, drinker and pushy if she demanded something. After marriage and children, she changed a lot. Yes, after divorce she did slide a bit but the siblings of Kings/Queens are usually in background doing their charity bits and pulled out for formal occasions unless they want a bit of spotlight. They do get perks because of their birth.

Sure, CP is now a rather spoiled young man and his father's strong favorite. He always will be as he is the SON. But, I guarantee 5 years from now we will see a different married gentlemen who will always be on the small size and handsome but no longer the running playboy. His wife will see to that.

My opinion of him is that he seemed to be "searching" for a time how he wanted to spend his life (in combination with how his family wanted it and what his royal position required of him), but since his engagement with Sofia he seems more at ease and more "grounded" (if that's the right word), so i expect that all the pieces of the puzzle now start to fall in place for him

I don't have an opinion on CP., or better, he seems totally apathic to me and I am indifferent to him. He seems to lack charisma, and I am happyhe is not the heir... I think he is a good guy but with no special fields or abiliteis, therefore IMO Victoria is the one who is more suitable for the role, despite opinions and bias of Car Gustav... Carl Philip seems to be quite spoiled and immature for his age, I don't know, but he doens't look like a 36 years old grown up man...And, for a series of things that happened I think he is also a bit simpleton... But again, I have not a strong opinion on him: I don't love him, nor do I hate him, as though he faded into the nowhere...

Last edited:
Sure, CP is now a rather spoiled young man and his father's strong favorite. He always will be as he is the SON. But, I guarantee 5 years from now we will see a different married gentlemen who will always be on the small size and handsome but no longer the running playboy. His wife will see to that.

I have never seen Carl Philip as a playboy. He is 36 years old, was 10 years with Emma and has how been almost 6 years with Sofia.

Although I favor absolute primogeniture, male-preference primogeniture has however a rationale to it. The point is that, in European countries at least, children usually take the last name of their father, rather than their mother's last name. A King's daughter's ascending the throne leads then to a change in the ruling royal dynasty when she is in turn succeeded by her eldest child.

I know that, in Sweden in particular, Daniel officially changed his name to "Daniel Westling Bernadotte" so that his children could still belong to the Bernadotte family. All things being equal though, Estelle would be technically a Westling, whereas Carl Philip would succeed his father as the head of the Bernadotte family even though he wouldn't be king.

^^^^^ slightly OT, but maybe relevant still:
Famous swedish athlete Carolina Kluft married Patrik Kristiansson and *he* now is named Patrik Kluft...
So i don't think the name thing has to be an issue these days

(Kluft should be written with two dots on the u, but i can't do that on this keyboard)

I really have nothing good to say about either CP or his father, CG. They seem to be cut from the same cloth. The ladies of the family are lovely.

[...] But, I guarantee 5 years from now we will see a different married gentlemen who will always be on the small size and handsome but no longer the running playboy. His wife will see to that.

Prince Carl Philip can be characterized everything, but a playboy is the very last label you can stick on him. For years and years he has been seen with the same lady, the one he is going to marry. Before that, also for years and years, he was rumoured to be with Emma Pernald. Well, that was the "adventurous love life" (which is what playboys have) of Prince Carl Philip...

Well, not all may agree, but this a thread about our opinion and if you type in "playboy carl-philip" in Google you'll find quite a number of hits from articles in online media which refer to him in that way, like:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/the-good-prince-guide-2139201.html?action=gallery
and this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/prince-carl-philip-attacked-fight-sofia-hellqvist-girlfriend_n_1772590.html

and there are many more, so Winnie certainly isn't alone in this...

I believe that many people nowadays confuse 'playboy' with 'leading a jetset lifestyle'. Yes, CP seems to enjoy the high life a parties, clubs and jetting around the world. But imo his lovelife has been rather solid with only two long-term girlfriends. Therefore I agree with Duc_et_Pair that the definition 'playboy' doesn't fit.

Well, the definition is ambigues i guess, see Playboy | Define Playboy at Dictionary.com
imo, i can understand why he, at some point in his life, would have been refered to as a playboy if you follow this definition
:flowers:
but again, this is a thread about "opinion" so if some say he wasn't a playboy, than that's equally valid

Well, to me, playboy has never meant jumping from one bed to another. It has always meant over indulgence in life-style and jetset mentality. Privileged to the extreme. I never questioned his sex life or do I care. This term is probably a generation description of daily life rather than a moral prejudice. I don't know what the common term would be to the young today.

Well, to me, playboy has never meant jumping from one bed to another. It has always meant over indulgence in life-style and jetset mentality. Privileged to the extreme. I never questioned his sex life or do I care. This term is probably a generation description of daily life rather than a moral prejudice. I don't know what the common term would be to the young today.

Sounds more party boy than playboy. :)

Sounds more party boy than playboy. :)

Well, yes, I guess that could be a better term today but back in the 40s it was playboy, whereas many of our old meanings have changed from years ago.

Googled "playboy" and the first definition that popped up was, "a wealthy man who spends his time enjoying himself, especially one who behaves irresponsibly or is sexually promiscuous". This is what I've always understood the word to mean, and it covers men who have long-term relationships and it does seem to fit CP, at least up till now. I don't seem to think the term applies to married men, but I could be wrong.

A man who has spent 10 years in one relationship and now 6 in another doesn't come to mind when you say the word playboy.

LaRae

A man who has spent 10 years in one relationship and now 6 in another doesn't come to mind when you say the word playboy.

I think the term "playboy" is attached to all young, handsome men who show up at parties around the world, hang out on yachts in the summer and ski in the winter. If they have some sort of title the term is applied no matter how many girlfriends they have or don't have. That's how the media works. Personally, I have always thought Carl Phillip was a "useless playboy" who did not have a job and did nothing but play. That's because I live in the U.S. and any news about royals other than the Brits is very limited. I had no idea Carl Philip had a 10-year relationship with one woman and is marrying a woman he has dated for six years. That doesn't sound like a playboy to me at all.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the wedding. There will be little to no news of it in the States but at least I have the Royal Forums to keep me up on what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom