The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
[...] But, I guarantee 5 years from now we will see a different married gentlemen who will always be on the small size and handsome but no longer the running playboy. His wife will see to that.
Prince Carl Philip can be characterized everything, but a playboy is the very last label you can stick on him. For years and years he has been seen with the same lady, the one he is going to marry. Before that, also for years and years, he was rumoured to be with Emma Pernald. Well, that was the "adventurous love life" (which is what playboys have) of Prince Carl Philip...

Old 05-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, not all may agree, but this a thread about our opinion and if you type in "playboy carl-philip" in Google you'll find quite a number of hits from articles in online media which refer to him in that way, like:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...action=gallery
and this
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1772590.html

and there are many more, so Winnie certainly isn't alone in this...

Old 05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I believe that many people nowadays confuse 'playboy' with 'leading a jetset lifestyle'. Yes, CP seems to enjoy the high life a parties, clubs and jetting around the world. But imo his lovelife has been rather solid with only two long-term girlfriends. Therefore I agree with Duc_et_Pair that the definition 'playboy' doesn't fit.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, the definition is ambigues i guess, see Playboy | Define Playboy at Dictionary.com
imo, i can understand why he, at some point in his life, would have been refered to as a playboy if you follow this definition

but again, this is a thread about "opinion" so if some say he wasn't a playboy, than that's equally valid
Old 05-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Serene Highness

Well, to me, playboy has never meant jumping from one bed to another. It has always meant over indulgence in life-style and jetset mentality. Privileged to the extreme. I never questioned his sex life or do I care. This term is probably a generation description of daily life rather than a moral prejudice. I don't know what the common term would be to the young today.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Well, to me, playboy has never meant jumping from one bed to another. It has always meant over indulgence in life-style and jetset mentality. Privileged to the extreme. I never questioned his sex life or do I care. This term is probably a generation description of daily life rather than a moral prejudice. I don't know what the common term would be to the young today.
Sounds more party boy than playboy. :)

Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Sounds more party boy than playboy. :)
Well, yes, I guess that could be a better term today but back in the 40s it was playboy, whereas many of our old meanings have changed from years ago.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Googled "playboy" and the first definition that popped up was, "a wealthy man who spends his time enjoying himself, especially one who behaves irresponsibly or is sexually promiscuous". This is what I've always understood the word to mean, and it covers men who have long-term relationships and it does seem to fit CP, at least up till now. I don't seem to think the term applies to married men, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 PM
Heir Apparent

A man who has spent 10 years in one relationship and now 6 in another doesn't come to mind when you say the word playboy.

LaRae
Old 05-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
A man who has spent 10 years in one relationship and now 6 in another doesn't come to mind when you say the word playboy.
I think the term "playboy" is attached to all young, handsome men who show up at parties around the world, hang out on yachts in the summer and ski in the winter. If they have some sort of title the term is applied no matter how many girlfriends they have or don't have. That's how the media works. Personally, I have always thought Carl Phillip was a "useless playboy" who did not have a job and did nothing but play. That's because I live in the U.S. and any news about royals other than the Brits is very limited. I had no idea Carl Philip had a 10-year relationship with one woman and is marrying a woman he has dated for six years. That doesn't sound like a playboy to me at all.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing the wedding. There will be little to no news of it in the States but at least I have the Royal Forums to keep me up on what's going on.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

LaRae
I also think it's unfair to say that he is a "do nothing" kind of guy First, he is a major in the Amphibious Corps reserve. Second, he runs his own design business. Third, he holds a degree in Agricultural Management and apparently is being groomed to take charge of the administration of some of the royal estates, including the Djugarden estate where he plans to live after he gets married.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I also think it's unfair to say that he is a "do nothing" kind of guy First, he is a major in the Amphibious Corps reserve. Second, he runs his own design business. Third, he holds a degree in Agricultural Management and apparently is being groomed to take charge of the administration of some of the royal estates, including the Djugarden estate where he plans to live after he gets married.
Indeed, all this does not fit in the image of a spoiled useless brat who spends his time binge-drinking, gambling, hopping from lady to lady, etc. We see a very healthy looking athletic guy with a good education and upbringing, with great manners, a friendly attitude and two longtime companionships with a lady so far in his life, with the currrent one becoming his spouse soon. "Playboy Prince" is really far, far from truth.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I agree...he seems to be a fairly normal (as much as possible in his situation) type of guy. I know guys with a heck of a lot less money and unknown to anyone other than family/friends who are way more of a 'playboy' than he has been....and not nearly as motivated to educate themselves or serve in the armed forces.

LaRae
Old 06-03-2015, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The interview of the prince and Emma Pernald's reaction to it can be discussed here. Several posts have been removed. Repetative posts have been deleted.

This thread is about public opinion and the prince.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

To me, Carl Philip comes across as very dull. And that's surprising, considering he is "artistic"...
Old 06-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Majesty

I quite agree. Very handsome, but not terribly bright or
"deep" at all.

Maybe I've been missing the point all along. Sofia Hellqvist might in fact be the perfect companion for him.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Sofia Hellqvist might in fact be the perfect companion for him.
Wow. What warrants this implication that Sofia is daft or, "not terribly bright"?

Old 06-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Because, as I clearly explained...I think her boyfriend might be the same way, and water seeks it's own level as the saying goes.

By the way Archduchess Z an opinion is just that. A very subjective thing, not a fact at all. Ninety per cent of all the information posited here at TRF IS SOMEONE'S OPINION AND NOT FACT.

So, Carl-Philip and his fiancée might in fact be Mensa members, who knows?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Serene Highness

Sofia is at least vibrant unlike him
What I would like to see in future is that he shows more passion in the things he does, because at the moment he irritates me tbh.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 06-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I quite agree. Very handsome, but not terribly bright or
"deep" at all.

Maybe, I've been missing the point all along. Sofia Hellqvist might in fact be the perfect companion for him.
I get the same impression of CP.

I remember watch a documentary on young royals. CP was interviewed and asked what were his interests. His reply was "I play video games". He was in his early to mid 20s. That will forever be my impression of CP...pretty but not exactly teaming with purpose.