Princess Sofia is Expecting - Due April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the happy parents-to-be!

I am not surprised that they start their family immediately after the wedding. Why wait?

It will be a very festive year 2016 in Sweden, with the King's 70's birthdays, two births, two christenings.

It will be a very festive year 2016 in Sweden, with the King's 70's birthdays, two births, two christenings.

Don't forget the 40th wedding anniversary of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia!

How the christenings will be handled would be interesting, with the babies being born so close. For example the ceremonies themselves. Baby Bernadotte Westling is the second child of a future sovereign. Baby Bernadotte Hellqvist is the first child of the fourth in line to the throne. Will they have equal services, godparents, guest lists?

Any chance of a double baptism ceremony? Since this the second chlid for Victoria and not the heir...it would be neat to see them have a combined ceremony.

LaRae

they have 30 and 36 years old and 6-year relationship.
I think they took their time, others were much faster, :whistling:

I think Thena was thinking that it was quick because Carl Philip is on the record that he wanted to wait before starting a family. That could be interpreted that wanting to be married a year or two before having children. Living together and being married are not the exact same thing. Not only change of legal status but a change in relationship dynamics takes places. You think more as a unit when married. You think differently.

Any chance of a double baptism ceremony? Since this the second chlid for Victoria and not the heir...it would be neat to see them have a combined ceremony.

LaRae

Christening is a very special and unique event in a person's life. Both children deserve their own christenings.

Terrific news! :D I had a feeling that they wouldn't wait very long but I hadn't expected an announcement this soon after Victoria and Daniel. I doubt it'll be a double christening though. After all, there's a quite significant difference in prominence between the two little ones – what with one being child of the future Queen and the other "merely" being a grandchild of the current King (now if it had been CP's child and Madeleine's child, I could easily have imagined a double christening.

Or they just wanted to start a family right away? :cool: Besides, Estelle didn't need a spare, she's "only" second in line to the throne and already has CP as "her spare".

Maybe. Maybe not. We all make our assumptions here as the truth is know only bt CP and Sofia... i'll have my speculations, you'll make yours.

I think Thena was thinking that it was quick because Carl Philip is on the record that he wanted to wait before starting a family. That could be interpreted that wanting to be married a year or two before having children. Living together and being married are not the exact same thing. Not only change of legal status but a change in relationship dynamics takes places. You think more as a unit when married. You think differently.

euh, I understood, thank you, no need to text explanation.
They talked of doing things in order, marriage and children.
And I said that if they want more children, it is understandable that has 31 and 36 years, they want to put it quickly enough. Age is an important factor for women. Point.

I wouldn't give a thing about what royals answer when the press asks them about family plans. The royals always play it down, use evasive phrases, speak about waiting a bit, etc. Even if they want a family right away, they also want to protect their privacy. And of course they want to avoid pressure from the gossip press, which invariably would start in case that a pregnancy does not come easily.

Christening is a very special and unique event in a person's life. Both children deserve their own christenings.

Yes I'm aware of the special meaning, being Catholic I believe in infant baptism and the very real effect it has on the soul.

It has nothing to do with 'deserving' or not deserving anything....just thought that combining might be a nice way for the families to share the special event together.

LaRae

Yay! Congrats to the couple and the whole family! Two new babies for the Royal Family, and so close together!

Congratulations to Carl Philip and Sofia! :swedenflag: :baby:

I, like a few others here, wasn't surprised by the announcement because I had expected them to get pregnant soon after the wedding. I wouldn't have guessed that Sofia was pregnant from the christening photos though.

Yay! Congrats to the couple and the whole family! Two new babies for the Royal Family, and so close together!

That's just what I was thinking - it will be lovely for Victoria and Daniel's baby to have a little playmate who will be very close in age to them.

The royal family consisting of the King and Queen (2), Crownprincess family (3+1) Carl Philip family (2+1) Princess Madeleine family (4) total of 13 people by next spring. Of the 13 ten have birthdays during the period February 23 through July 14 ( a little over four month and assuming the two new babies arrive late February or later. Then one in September (Daniel ) and two in December (Sofia and the Queen). That is quite a concentration of birthdates.

If we thought Nicolas' christening was active with the sounds of little children, just wait until the christenings of these two! There will be more! This is going to be such fun!

I agree! And imagine if Sofia and CP gets a second one. It will be full house at that christening!!

I'm so happy for Carl Philip and Sofia! They also remind me that I should trust my instincts more - almost every time I've seen them pictured together since the wedding, I've thought "I bet they'll have a baby soon!" and I don't usually get that feeling with royal newlyweds (I mean, these I don't really expect most royal couples to necessarily start a family right away). But then I'd brush that thought away and think "don't be silly - give them some time." I thought maybe I was just getting excited because we've already had so much baby news from the Swedish royals lately. I should've just stuck with my initial hunch, as it was right. Such wonderful news!

I wouldn't give a thing about what royals answer when the press asks them about family plans. The royals always play it down, use evasive phrases, speak about waiting a bit, etc. Even if they want a family right away, they also want to protect their privacy. And of course they want to avoid pressure from the gossip press, which invariably would start in case that a pregnancy does not come easily.

Yep, you're not going to get many royal couples say "yes, we want to start a family right away," even if they do intend to. Otherwise the press, etc., would only wait about three months after the wedding before they'd start expecting a baby announcement. But, of course, things don't always happen immediately, and it would be a particularly hard to deal with that situation if the couple ended up having real difficulty in that department. So, wisely, most couples are vague about it to varying degrees. I do think some couples really do intend to wait a bit (e.g. I didn't expect William and Kate to have a baby right away, and they didn't), and I think it's probably better to make that assumption about most couples and then maybe get a nice, quick surprise like this one. Otherwise, royal pregnancy watch can get a bit dull! :D

I agree! And imagine if Sofia and CP gets a second one. It will be full house at that christening!!

I'm envisioning the King and Queen as being very excited but potentially very overwhelmed grandparents! :lol: Three grandchildren in just one year is a lot, especially if you've only got three children. I expect some noisy, happy family gatherings in the future!

It's so nice and to have cousins close in age, though - my four cousins and I were all born within the space of five years, and we were practically like siblings.

Wow, the Royal Family will have 13 members by this time next year. I remember when it was only Their Majesties and their children (if you don't count Princesses Birgitta and Lilian).

And the King must be so relieved seeing the succession totally secured in the next generation. Growing up being one of only two heirs must have been a nightmare for him.

Hmm, when royals live together for several years, there comes a time where you decide "it's time to fish or cut bait". Marriage tends to be followed by children in pretty quick order especially when you take the age of the parents into account.

lots of parties and pictures to look forward to.
I hope Carl Gustaf takes a leaf from his cousin Margrethe's book and has a big 70th birthday celebration. I'm on the fence as to whether he needs to invite non-kin foreign royals.

I get busy following my Jays in the Baseball Playoffs, don't check in for a couple of days and look what I miss!?!

This is such wonderful news and the happiness the Swedish Royals have been enjoying the last little while keeps on going strong.

Congratulations to Carl-Philip and Sofia!!

This will be Grandchild Number One for Sofia's Parents, right?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I get busy following my Jays in the Baseball Playoffs, don't check in for a couple of days and look what I miss!?!

This is such wonderful news and the happiness the Swedish Royals have been enjoying the last little while keeps on going strong.

Congratulations to Carl-Philip and Sofia!!

This will be Grandchild Number One for Sofia's Parents, right?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, neither of Sofia's sisters have any children.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

And the King must be so relieved seeing the succession totally secured in the next generation. Growing up being one of only two heirs must have been a nightmare for him.

I'm sure he must be. To me it's always been quite clear when discussing Madeleine and her children's titles that it was all about securing the succession. While I was one of many Swedes that believed Estelle would be an only child I'm very happy I was proven wrong. I'm equally happy for CP & S who seems to be a very nice couple.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Hmm, when royals live together for several years, there comes a time where you decide "it's time to fish or cut bait". Marriage tends to be followed by children in pretty quick order especially when you take the age of the parents into account.

Not always. William and Kate were together for quite a while and didn't have a baby right away, and Edward and Sophie were the same (I know E&S obviously ended up having some difficulties in that area, but before they got married, they had said they wanted to wait a couple of years before starting a family). I'm sure there are other examples that my brain is too tired to think of right now. With William and Kate, I definitely remember thinking that because they had been together so long before getting married, they probably wouldn't rush into having children, either, because they seemed to be intentionally easing themselves into things. But then we have Madeleine and Sofia, who really didn't waste any time. You just never know.

Not always. William and Kate were together for quite a while and didn't have a baby right away, and Edward and Sophie were the same (I know E&S obviously ended up having some difficulties in that area, but before they got married, they had said they wanted to wait a couple of years before starting a family). I'm sure there are other examples that my brain is too tired to think of right now. With William and Kate, I definitely remember thinking that because they had been together so long before getting married, they probably wouldn't rush into having children, either, because they seemed to be intentionally easing themselves into things. But then we have Madeleine and Sofia, who really didn't waste any time. You just never know.
Exactly my thought. I have the feeling that William and Kate has done everything extra slow on purpose in a way they wouldn't have done if they werent royals. Just to make sure everything is done right. While Madde and Sophia probably couldn't wait to finally have kids :) People are different. Some people date and live together for 15 years before having kids. :)

So very true! :flowers: I can vouch for that! ;)

Last edited:
I would love a double christening like that of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and his cousin Prince Bernhard.

I'm sure he must be. To me it's always been quite clear when discussing Madeleine and her children's titles that it was all about securing the succession. While I was one of many Swedes that believed Estelle would be an only child I'm very happy I was proven wrong. I'm equally happy for CP & S who seems to be a very nice couple.

:previous: Count me in on that. Every word of it. Both Sofias and Victorias pregnancies are great news for so many reasons. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are more children arriving in the SRF in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom