The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
lots of parties and pictures to look forward to.
I hope Carl Gustaf takes a leaf from his cousin Margrethe's book and has a big 70th birthday celebration. I'm on the fence as to whether he needs to invite non-kin foreign royals.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to both of them.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

I get busy following my Jays in the Baseball Playoffs, don't check in for a couple of days and look what I miss!?!

This is such wonderful news and the happiness the Swedish Royals have been enjoying the last little while keeps on going strong.

Congratulations to Carl-Philip and Sofia!!

This will be Grandchild Number One for Sofia's Parents, right?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
I get busy following my Jays in the Baseball Playoffs, don't check in for a couple of days and look what I miss!?!

This is such wonderful news and the happiness the Swedish Royals have been enjoying the last little while keeps on going strong.

Congratulations to Carl-Philip and Sofia!!

This will be Grandchild Number One for Sofia's Parents, right?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Yes, neither of Sofia's sisters have any children.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-17-2015, 01:24 AM
Courtier

Princess Sofia is Expecting - Due April 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post

And the King must be so relieved seeing the succession totally secured in the next generation. Growing up being one of only two heirs must have been a nightmare for him.

I'm sure he must be. To me it's always been quite clear when discussing Madeleine and her children's titles that it was all about securing the succession. While I was one of many Swedes that believed Estelle would be an only child I'm very happy I was proven wrong. I'm equally happy for CP & S who seems to be a very nice couple.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-17-2015, 02:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Hmm, when royals live together for several years, there comes a time where you decide "it's time to fish or cut bait". Marriage tends to be followed by children in pretty quick order especially when you take the age of the parents into account.
Not always. William and Kate were together for quite a while and didn't have a baby right away, and Edward and Sophie were the same (I know E&S obviously ended up having some difficulties in that area, but before they got married, they had said they wanted to wait a couple of years before starting a family). I'm sure there are other examples that my brain is too tired to think of right now. With William and Kate, I definitely remember thinking that because they had been together so long before getting married, they probably wouldn't rush into having children, either, because they seemed to be intentionally easing themselves into things. But then we have Madeleine and Sofia, who really didn't waste any time. You just never know.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Not always. William and Kate were together for quite a while and didn't have a baby right away, and Edward and Sophie were the same (I know E&S obviously ended up having some difficulties in that area, but before they got married, they had said they wanted to wait a couple of years before starting a family). I'm sure there are other examples that my brain is too tired to think of right now. With William and Kate, I definitely remember thinking that because they had been together so long before getting married, they probably wouldn't rush into having children, either, because they seemed to be intentionally easing themselves into things. But then we have Madeleine and Sofia, who really didn't waste any time. You just never know.
Exactly my thought. I have the feeling that William and Kate has done everything extra slow on purpose in a way they wouldn't have done if they werent royals. Just to make sure everything is done right. While Madde and Sophia probably couldn't wait to finally have kids :) People are different. Some people date and live together for 15 years before having kids. :)
Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I think Thena was thinking that it was quick because Carl Philip is on the record that he wanted to wait before starting a family. That could be interpreted that wanting to be married a year or two before having children. Living together and being married are not the exact same thing. Not only change of legal status but a change in relationship dynamics takes places. You think more as a unit when married. You think differently.
So very true! I can vouch for that!
Old 10-17-2015, 05:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would love a double christening like that of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and his cousin Prince Bernhard.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'm sure he must be. To me it's always been quite clear when discussing Madeleine and her children's titles that it was all about securing the succession. While I was one of many Swedes that believed Estelle would be an only child I'm very happy I was proven wrong. I'm equally happy for CP & S who seems to be a very nice couple.
Count me in on that. Every word of it. Both Sofias and Victorias pregnancies are great news for so many reasons. And I wouldn't be surprised if there are more children arriving in the SRF in the next couple of years.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Nobility

The primary duty of a royal, blood or married in, is to continue the royal line. It also depends on when the babies come. Under Sweden's succession law, to be an heir/heiress to the Silver Throne the baby has to be born in wedlock. Even an adopted child can't inherit the throne unless the Riksdag changes the law. But counting back nine months when the due date is announced? To me that's going too far because it comes off as questioning the child's right to inherit. The law doesn't say the child has to be conceived in wedlock.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The primary duty of a royal, blood or married in, is to continue the royal line. It also depends on when the babies come. Under Sweden's succession law, to be an heir/heiress to the Silver Throne the baby has to be born in wedlock. Even an adopted child can't inherit the throne unless the Riksdag changes the law. But counting back nine months when the due date is announced? To me that's going too far because it comes off as questioning the child's right to inherit. The law doesn't say the child has to be conceived in wedlock.
I don't understand what you are saying Madame V.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am not surprised that Sofia is expecting to quickly after the wedding. Hopefully she has a healthy baby and a safe delivery. I am glad that Victoria is expecting too, otherwise there would have been some nasty headlines.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Why would there be nasty headlines if Victoria wasn't expecting?

LaRae
Old 10-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

That Sofia gets pregnant straight away while Victoria is struggling to have a second child (imo these would have been the headlines and would have put pressure on Victoria or at least its not nice to read such things).
Old 10-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
That Sofia gets pregnant straight away while Victoria is struggling to have a second child (imo these would have been the headlines and would have put pressure on Victoria or at least its not nice to read such things).
I agree. It was kinf of a relieve actually. I 'll cringe at the possibilily of such headlines! But now it doesn't matter, as Victoria is pregnant with her second child that the press and public were waiting for That was what I meant with Sofia and CP wanting to their child as the spare, but now they can enjoy him/her, without thinking of the line of succession. It will be fifth after all, and everyone is happy with that.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:07 PM
Serene Highness

Luckily there is no law or right that states that Victoria must get pregnant first before Sofia (or Madeleine for that matter) may. Would both Sofia and Madeleine forever be barred from having a child if Victoria (and Daniel) would not have wanted another child?
In that case Madeleine should have taken the flack because she was first, before Victoria, with having her second child.

(Online) media love stirring headlines and they love people who take the bait even more. I doubt that the Royal Family would be affected much by any mean headline because I bet they are used to more than we think.

Anyway, I am very pleased for Carl Philip and Sofia and I expect that they will be amazing parents. I was kind of hoping for a pregnancy for her and now it has come true. For me it's save the best for last.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Luckily there is no law or right that states that Victoria must get pregnant first before Sofia (or Madeleine for that matter) may. Would both Sofia and Madeleine forever be barred from having a child if Victoria (and Daniel) would not have wanted another child?
In that case Madeleine should have taken the flack because she was first, before Victoria, with having her second child.

(Online) media love stirring headlines and they love people who take the bait even more. I doubt that the Royal Family would be affected much by any mean headline because I bet they are used to more than we think.

Anyway, I am very pleased for Carl Philip and Sofia and I expect that they will be amazing parents. I was kind of hoping for a pregnancy for her and now it has come true. For me it's save the best for last.
That's not the point. But very much the contrary. The press would have written nasty comments on Victoria, not on Sofia. Because it's from Victoria who they have the main expectantions. Beside, Sofia is clearly the favorite of the press, they have never written any negative about her.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

It is *my* point. A different one.

I don't think there was any 'mean' press for Victoria when Madeleine announced her second pregnancy so I don't see why that would be the case now.

Princess Sofia pregnant, pretty soon after the wedding. That means they'll be parents before their 1st anniversary. 2016 will be a joyful year for them.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
It is *my* point. A different one.
The media and expectations because of what is the general norm can be a pain - as has been very clear - but I stated that in my previous post.
At least both the mothers-to-be can ejoy their pregnancies, without bothering much about the press..