Princess Madeleine & Jonas Bergström Break Off Their Engagement: April 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Charles attended the wedding of Felipe and Letizia.

Who of the British was present at Frederik and Mary´s wedding?

Actually even thought he was seated at the end of the table, it was still the main table! They could have sat him at one of the other dozens of tables where he would have been lost in the crowd. But he wasn't, he was at the table of honor, next to extended family. (Table of Honor - The Nobel Banquet in Stockholm 2009 ) So he was very high in the kings good graces so I don't think king knew about it at the time.

That's true, although at the time, I recall reading much discussion about the fact that he was relegated to the end of the table, rather than sitting as Madeleine's partner. He was way down at the end, below some household staff.

But, I should point out that I'm not criticizing the fact that he was seated there at all. I'm sure it all followed protocol and was the correct place for him. My point was really more along the lines that if he didn't rate a better seat then, he sure won't now!

I'm surprised they gave out invitations to both of the the prince of wales and his sons. They couldn't have realistic believed that either William or Harry would have actually accepted, even if Charles doesn't attended. More likely they were invited out of politeness. I think it's more likely that the Earl and the Countess of Wessex will be the only ones to appear at the wedding. They seem to be the only British royals to attended any outside royal events with any regular frequency.

I think it's about time for William and Harry to start showing up at these events. The younger members of the other royal families turn out for weddings, so they should, too. The only non-British royal event I can recall either of them attending was when William turned up for little Prince Constantine's christening. That must have been a decade ago.

That's true, although at the time, I recall reading much discussion about the fact that he was relegated to the end of the table, rather than sitting as Madeleine's partner. He was way down at the end, below some household staff.
The Swedish Royals never sit next to each other during the Nobel banquet, which is hosted by The Nobel academy, not the Bernadottes, and Jonas Bergström had exactly the appropriate prominent place at the Table of Honor which was expected for a then-fiancé of Princess Madeleine.
I do not recall any discussion about the matter, which would have been pointless.
Mr. Bergström will certainly not be present at Crown Princess Victoria's wedding.
I think it's about time for William and Harry to start showing up at these events. The younger members of the other royal families turn out for weddings, so they should, too.
The frequent disregard of the Windsor family for the grand occasions of their continental collegues and relatives has a long tradition, unfortunately.
Ever since the 1960s, they have increasingly regarded it as unnecessary to follow invitations and attend - which I find puzzling, to say the least.

Hopefully the next generation of Windsors will change that.

I think it's about time for William and Harry to start showing up at these events. The younger members of the other royal families turn out for weddings, so they should, too. The only non-British royal event I can recall either of them attending was when William turned up for little Prince Constantine's christening. That must have been a decade ago.

Why would either one start attending these events when none of the other major royals attend these events? It would be a quite a large jump from the Earl to the 2nd and 3rd in line attending what must be to them simply another royal event which they don't seem to place much importance in. Charles attending the wedding in Spain is more of an exception to the attending rule.

And on another note, if any of the young wales attend it would take attention away from the bride with stories about "is there another marriage in the works?". I wouldn't be surprise if the British press spins their presence as a practice run for there own weddings.:rolleyes:

^ I doubt William showing up to Victoria's wedding would take any attention from her. The only time they write up articles on whether William and Kate are next to get married is when they appear at weddings together or if Kate shows up to a high profile family event (ie. William's passing out from military/getting his wings).

And I think it's time that the young princes start showing up to royal events to get to know their peers. Especially William since he is the future king.

Not to go off-topic, but the wife of the King is the Queen. If Camilla is styled anything other than HM Queen Camilla, it's an absolute insult. Charles is just as guilty in the break-up of his marriage to Diana as Camilla is, and if styling Camilla lower than is due to her by fact of marriage happens because some people in the realm can't get over the fact he's not still married to Diana, Charles should abdicate to his son and be done with it. Because if you're going to punish Camilla for her prior bad behavior, you have to punish Charles as well.

I'm not even in the Commonwealth and I think the idea is absolutely ridiculous. That would be like the wife of the President being styled something other than "First Lady". That's not how it's done.

/end off-topic

You have your opinion, I have mine. I was merely agreeing it would be good to see her attend events on the continent. Nor did I post with intent to encourage a 'for or against' on the matter of styles and titles in the UK.

Quite some time ago I made my opinion rather clear as to why I'm in favour of the Duchess being titled, officially, as Princess Consort which needless to say, is not due to anything you have decided to site.

And it would be Wales' not Cornwalls, seeing as that is Charles' primary title, even though Camilla chooses not to use it.

Yes, I know, lumutqueen...;)

In any which way, Cornwall is a principal title (infact, unlike Wales and Chester, which must be created, the Dukedom of Cornwall is the heir apparents automatic title in England) and is recognised throughout the UK (except in Scotland), unlike Rothesay, so no harm done.

I doubt William showing up to Victoria's wedding would take any attention from her.

I agree. Especially in a country with it's own monarchy, to have an otherwise globally known Prince turn up won't be anything exciting.

Did Jonas propose to Madeline? I was wondering if it was wrong for a commoner to propose to a born royal.. or if it was protocol for the royal to propose?

Is the wedding guest list updated? If it is and Jonas is still there, well I personally don't think Jonas will attend. Imagine the gossips that will surface and he should think that it is Victoria and Daniel's big day and not to be spoiled by his appearance. I think Jonas still has a mind not to attend the wedding.

Did Jonas propose to Madeline? I was wondering if it was wrong for a commoner to propose to a born royal.. or if it was protocol for the royal to propose?

Jonas did propose (so did Daniel)
There is no rule saying, the Royal or commoner has to propose.

Is the wedding guest list updated? If it is and Jonas is still there, well I personally don't think Jonas will attend. Imagine the gossips that will surface and he should think that it is Victoria and Daniel's big day and not to be spoiled by his appearance. I think Jonas still has a mind not to attend the wedding.

This is the original list, sent out by the government. It will not have been modified since it was originally created. :)

Charles attending the wedding in Spain is more of an exception to the attending rule.

Prince Charles attended to the wedding of Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde as well as to the wedding of Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit and Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima.

Prince Charles attended to the wedding of Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde as well as to the wedding of Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit and Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima.

He never attended the Norwegian wedding.
He attended the Belgian, Spanish, Dutch. :)

It is sad that Princess Madeleine stayed with Jonas all of those years and got her heart broke in the end.Atleast they ended the engagement before the married turned into a divorce.She is young and has the strength and support of family to get through this diffcult time.All I have to say is that Jonas is an idot there is an old saying that people don't recongize a good thing until it is gone.
Sorry this is off the subject but the reason why Camilla is known as the Duchess of Cornwall is because the title of Princess of Wales
was so tightly connected to the late Diana Spencer.

Jonas will not attend Victoria and Daniel’s wedding and Madeleine will be on top form for her sister’s wedding plus she will look stunning. Jonas looks the fool not Madeleine.

Why would either one start attending these events when none of the other major royals attend these events? It would be a quite a large jump from the Earl to the 2nd and 3rd in line attending what must be to them simply another royal event which they don't seem to place much importance in. Charles attending the wedding in Spain is more of an exception to the attending rule.

And on another note, if any of the young wales attend it would take attention away from the bride with stories about "is there another marriage in the works?". I wouldn't be surprise if the British press spins their presence as a practice run for there own weddings.:rolleyes:

We'd probably be polite to take this to one of the British forums for further discussion, but since William, Harry, and the young Swedish royals are so close in age, I would think that at least one of them would attend. Probably William, since he's destined for the throne.

(While QEII doesn't often attend Euro-royal events, Philip, Charles, Margaret, Anne, and others have gone to many, if not most, of them. They seem to do it by age/common links. For instance, Edward has gone to some of the younger royals' weddings. Earl Mountbatten went to the King of Sweden's. Constantine & Anne-Marie's drew Philip, Charles, Anne, Marina, and the other Kents. Etc.)

I don't think Victoria will have any problem outshining any of her guests, even if Jonas sits in the front row and William and Kate attend together and make out through the whole service!

I didn't realize he attended the other weddings (don't remember seeing him any of the photos, summer brain drain must already be kicking in....) my mistake. But I don't see William or Harry attending other royal events just yet, although I wont mind being proven wrong. :flowers:

And I wasn't actually being serious about that last part, it was a joke on all the wedding rumors with William. Hints the rolling eye smiley, it's hard to tell in writing I see.

For Madeleine I believe Jonas would have been her P Junot and that would have ended rather quickly and in disaster. I do not think that Maddie is as strong as Caro so best that it ended now rather than later.Are we certain that it was only an indiscretion that broke them up?Could there have been other factors that we are not privy to? I am leaning to innumerable other things that may have transpired as well. Well Maddie U sure made it out of harm's way .Count your blessings and thank your guardian angel.

I bet Madeleine will marry within the next one and a half year -maybe even Jonas - and therefore might be excluded from the royal house of Sweden.....

Stefanie Madeleine will never marry Jonas let alone take him back! The relationship is over, period.

I sincerely doubt Madeleine would even consider a re-engagement let alone a marriage to Jonas! But of course you are entitled to your opinion by all means. However, it is impossible for her to bee excluded from the royal house of Sweden. i am sure there is now a law in place (which inevidably escapes me at the moment) that any of King Carl XVI Gustav's children can remain titled to their position of Sweden/Duke/Duchess even after they marry? A law he put in place sometime long after a few of his sister's married beneath themselves all except for one I believe...so either way she will remain within her royal house by all means I am sure.

I bet Madeleine will marry within the next one and a half year -maybe even Jonas - and therefore might be excluded from the royal house of Sweden.....

I dont think she will take him back either. this decision is final. however, maybe she shouldn't jump into another relationship (with the hockey player?). its important to completely get out of a relationship (mentally as well) and then move on to someone else.

Just because Madeleine has known this hockey player for years doesn´t mean that she would jump into a new relationship.

I didnt say that. I just said that she shouldn't, assuming she is thinking of it. Thats the purpose of the question mark in the brackets.

Most likely Jonas will not attend Victoria's wedding. Its will be in extreme bad form, and take attention from the wedding couple. If he is friends will Daniel he will most likely communicate his good wishes via the phone or in person.

The Earl Mountbatten attended the King of Sweden (not Carl Gustav but the grandfather) because the King was marrying (his 2nd marriage), the Earl's sister, Lady Louise Mountbatten who became Queen of Sweden.

I hesitate to say that you might not see Madeline and Jonas together at a public event for some time. As they have common friends, I am sure one of them will get the okay to show up...it might take a while (if ever) before they are photographed again. Definitely no re engagement.

Back
Top Bottom