The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Courtier

The prince couples foundations new webpage has been launched. Among other things, it contains a blog. The first post there was written by Carl Philip and Sofia. It's focus is bullying and hatred on line. They write, among other things: "To bully someone is horrible. To bully a child is the worst kind of bullying. We can't understand what everyone goes through, or has gone through, but we have both experienced hatred online".

I can also mention that this article is the third most read right now at Expressen, so it has certainly caught peoples attention.

Prinsparet: "Hat känns oavsett vem du är" | Kungligt | Expressen

Here's a link to the website: https://prinsparetsstiftelse.se

Old 08-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Majesty

interesting that they are so vocal about their experiences being bullied online - it's quite outspoken for members of a royal family...

here's the blog post in question:
https://prinsparetsstiftelse.se/blogg/

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Courtier

This is the full blog post. Any kind of strange translation is purely my fault.

"We're proud to inaugurate this blog, which is going to focus on bullying and all of those that are affected by bullying. We're going to focus our attention on hatred online and living with dyslexia, topics that are close to both of us. This blog will contain, among other things, guest bloggers and articles that we find important.

To bully someone is horrible. To bully a child is the worst kind of bullying. Words hurt, not just for the moment, and punches doesnt just hurt the particular instate they hit you. Bullying causes wounds that for many people lasts their whole life. We can't understand what everyone goes through, or has gone through, but we have both experienced hatred online. It has given us and understanding, and is a driving force to work with those issues, along with a will to try to help others.

Hatred hurts no matter who you are, and as new parents if feels more important then ever to us. Every day children around Sweden experience much worse things that what we've been through. Name calling, beating and involuntary solitude with time becomes a backpack that can break every back, no matter how strong they are. Instead of happy, playing children, those kids can be found in a corner of the school yard, with no faith in themselves, the society around them or the adults close to them. It doesn't have to be this way. It's not good enough to ask that "someone" should do something. It's all of our responsibility, every day, for every child. It's our obligation as adults to talk to our children, but also to be good role models on those topics. That's why we start Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofias foundation - to strengthen the good conversations, the positive role models, and to try to give strength to all children: those who bully and those who passively stand on the sideline. A good society is built on good citizens. And good citizens comes from a stronge self esteem and faith in your own value. No child deserves less than that".

https://prinsparetsstiftelse.se/fors...lip-och-sofia/
Old 08-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
interesting that they are so vocal about their experiences being bullied online - it's quite outspoken for members of a royal family...
I agree that it's interesting. It's also understandable. The amount of hatred against especially Sofia is remarkable. It's everything from small pinches - that sh'e not a good mother, that she doesn't deseve to be married to a prince, that she's dressed the wrong way... you name it, it's out there. I'm really glad that they are strong enough to try to bring some attention to this particular area.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Courtier

It's great that they "speak" about this things, especially their personal experience with bullying and online hatred. They may be public people but they're still as human as anyone and don't deserve a lot that is thrown against them online. Especially Sofia had to endure way to much hatred and bashing online. It's about time they react on this topic.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
Majesty

I totally understand the shared experience of Car Philip about his hard times with dylsexia, but I can't see Sofia as nothing but hypocritical. She was the one to bully her disabled teacher, so if she wanted to share also her own experience it would have been better to admit that the bully was her during her twenties and not play the victim.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Nobility

I think they have chosen a good topic to focus on. Still in keeping with the RF focus on children, yet dealing with a very current and disturbing problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I totally understand the shared experience of Car Philip about his hard times with dylsexia, but I can't see Sofia as nothing but hypocritical. She was the one to bully her disabled teacher, so if she wanted to share also her own experience it would have been better to admit that the bully was her during her twenties and not play the victim.
You're right. That wasn't a smart move and let's hope she already apologized to her former teacher for her bad behaviour a long time ago. But the fact that she made this mistake doesn't automatically mean that she is hypocritical and just plays the victim. She is a victim of but unjustified hatred and very nasty online mobbing. And she has every right to talk about that just like Carl Philip.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I must have missed something here, did Sophia admit this bullying and did she apologise. What teacher did she have in her twenties?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 AM
Nobility

That's why there is pushback on Sofia; that online bullying that has been said she did. Unless she owns it - publicly admit she did it and apologize to that teacher - she has no credibility on this subject. As a public person she bears the burden of setting the example. Another reason for resistance is the feeling that Sofia's past was never fully addressed - warts and all; that the palace whitewashed her past to make her palpable as a royal bride. People don't like being played for fools especially when the history is on the Internet and it's different than what's on the official royal website.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
That's why there is pushback on Sofia; that online bullying that has been said she did. Unless she owns it - publicly admit she did it and apologize to that teacher - she has no credibility on this subject. As a public person she bears the burden of setting the example. Another reason for resistance is the feeling that Sofia's past was never fully addressed - warts and all; that the palace whitewashed her past to make her palpable as a royal bride. People don't like being played for fools especially when the history is on the Internet and it's different than what's on the official royal website.
Agree 100%!!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I must have missed something here, did Sophia admit this bullying and did she apologise. What teacher did she have in her twenties?
I would like to know the source of this bullying info also
Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

It's not a rumour but rather a harsh truth written out there in Sofia's blog. When she was living in New York, she had a blog where she reported everything she did in the big apple together with a friend. I'm sure that if you carefully look for it, you will find the post even if the blog has conveniently been taken down.

She basicially wrote that she made fun of a teacher with some kind of disability, "rolling herself to laughter": this is what she said more or less. As far as I know she didn't publicy apologized.

That's why I think she is only an hypocrite. She should have at least specified that she had experienced bullying both as bully and bullied.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
You're right. That wasn't a smart move and let's hope she already apologized to her former teacher for her bad behaviour a long time ago. But the fact that she made this mistake doesn't automatically mean that she is hypocritical and just plays the victim. She is a victim of but unjustified hatred and very nasty online mobbing. And she has every right to talk about that just like Carl Philip.

Even more so, she should have written down that she did bully once in her youth and that now she regrets it. Otherwise, what value can her words and take against bullism have? It's insulting!The new image of Sofia that the palace is so eager to promote should be at least give some credibility. Or not?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Nobility

I read about the "bullying" of the "disabled" teacher and then I read the actual blog post. I did not interpret it as the teacher was disabled but that he has leg cramps which probably happened when he sat too long and then got up to started walking around. It happens to me and also to others and some even make self-deprecating jokes about it and people laugh, "old people problems" are also used as jokes on sitcoms. I am not trying to totally excuse what happened because if Sofia and her friend openly laughed at the teacher then that was obnoxious and does not reflect well on Sofia but there may be more to the story and the teacher himself may have made jokes about his condition.

Furthermore Sofia's youthful shenanigans have been covered by the Swedish and other media so I don't get the accusations that there has been some great cover up or whitewash.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It's not a rumour but rather a harsh truth written out there in Sofia's blog. When she was living in New York, she had a blog where she reported everything she did in the big apple together with a friend. I'm sure that if you carefully look for it, you will find the post even if the blog has conveniently been taken down.

She basicially wrote that she made fun of a teacher with some kind of disability, "rolling herself to laughter": this is what she said more or less. As far as I know she didn't publicy apologized.
i didn't know that she bullied her disabled teacher, nor did i know she had a blog whilst she was in NY. i was warming up to sofia, but this has now made me rethink her again. i wonder if CP knows about this chapter in her life. if he knows and still decided to marry her, that speaks about him and his values too.

and how downright silly of them to support victims of bullying when it was a shady chapter in their (her) own story. with so many causes out there to support, if i knew that my blog post about being rude to a disabled person was out there, i would choose something else to defend (children's rights, animals rights, whatever... there's a plethora of causes out there!)

where do you think we may find the blog post Marty91charmed? (if the blog was taken down)
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-29-2016, 09:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i didn't know that she bullied her disabled teacher, nor did i know she had a blog whilst she was in NY. i was warming up to sofia, but this has now made me rethink her again. i wonder if CP knows about this chapter in her life. if he knows and still decided to marry her, that speaks about him and his values too.

and how downright silly of them to support victims of bullying when it was a shady chapter in their (her) own story. with so many causes out there to support, if i knew that my blog post about being rude to a disabled person was out there, i would choose something else to defend (children's rights, animals rights, whatever... there's a plethora of causes out there!)

where do you think we may find the blog post Marty91charmed? (if the blog was taken down)

This is why I have always had negative thoughts on Sofia. It has little to do with her "bikini model past" but rather with the whitewashing the palace did.

Aside from the very bad vibes i get from her: those are personal hunches...

I think you might find usuful the links provided by Skippy just some posts above mine. Sofia's blog was called "the city that never slleps". Among her "adventures " and parties she described how much she laughed at the cramps or whatever mania her teacher had.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I read about the "bullying" of the "disabled" teacher and then I read the actual blog post. I did not interpret it as the teacher was disabled but that he has leg cramps which probably happens when he sits too long and then gets up to start walking around. It happens to me and also to others and some even make self-deprecating jokes about it and people laugh, ""iold people problems" are also used as jokes on sitcoms. I am not trying to totally excuse what happened because if Sofia and her friend openly laughed at the the teacher then that was obnoxious and does not reflect well on Sofia but there may be more to the story the teacher himself may have made jokes about his condition.

Furthermore Sofia's youthful shenanigans have been covered by the Swedish and other media so I don't get the accusations that there has been some great cover up or whitewash.
The first bolded part is what I thought as well. Not everyone who has a physical condition is up in arms about it. But I guess what's bothersome here is that she posted about it on an online blog. That's disrespectful, inappropriate, tasteless, etc..

The second bolded part is that the royal court is accused of whitewashing her CV because it doesn't mention that part of her past (Slitz, Paradise Hotel, etc.). I think they don't mention it because it's been spread out in the media so there's nothing left to tell and she's more than just that.
Even if it would have been covered, I wonder if it would have been satisfying (enough).

Edit: for reference:
Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20788839.ab
http://nyheter24.se/noje/kungligt/79...-hemliga-blogg
http://lovelolaheart.com/?p=2063
Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Majesty

aside from the articles above by Skippy, this site had a poster who copy-pasted some of the articles that were on sofia's NY blog, back in 2010.

https://www.flashback.org/t1208767p31

they are their posts in full, as far as we can see.

the lovelolaheart link seems to include the excerpt where sofia and camilla make fun of their teacher who had some leg spasm, and also cites the topics of other blog posts:

Quote:
While it’s believed Sofia never actually graduated high school, much of Sofia’s CV focuses on education, such as her studies at the Institute of English and Business in New York which offers certificates as opposed to degrees. Sofia enjoyed the Institute of English and Business in New York immensely, blogging, “Bellyaches after every lesson from all our laughing fits. Our teacher had something as funny as “crazy foot” that is, cramps in his legs. We are talking violent spasms, we laughed so hard we almost got six-pack abs. Pleasure finds us even at the schoolbench”. Other travel blog entries written by Sofia Hellqvist and fellow Paradise Hotel contestant Camilla Sundman, detail other experiences of living in New York, such as the “desperate” men who bought them jewelry and other gifts, their new mantra “Now I am perched on top
Hehe, could bite off your penis”, their electricity being turned off due to non-payment, drinking until they became sick and accepting rides from strangers.
also some excerpts in:
8 saker vi har lärt oss av Sofia Hellqvists hemliga blogg
Möt Sofia Hellqvist – vår nästa prinsessa | Nyheter | Expressen
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
The first bolded part is what I thought as well. Not everyone who has a physical condition is up in arms about it. But I guess what's bothersome here is that she posted about it on an online blog. That's disrespectful, inappropriate, tasteless, etc..
IMO it boils down to how you fill in the blanks, if you think that they were laughing at the teacher then it was disrespectful, inappropriate, tasteless, etc. If they were blogging about an amusing incident and there was no malice or mocking involved, then I don't hold it against them. It can be said in retrospect that maybe they should have provided more detail to show that they were not laughing at the teacher, or not done the post at all because of how it may be received, but that has nothing to do with Sofia and her friend being good or bad people, it has to do with them having PR savvy.

Quote:
The second bolded part is that the royal court is accused of whitewashing her CV because it doesn't mention that part of her past (Slitz, Paradise Hotel, etc.). I think they don't mention it because it's been spread out in the media so there's nothing left to tell and she's more than just that.
Even if it would have been covered, I wonder if it would have been satisfying (enough).

Edit: for reference:
Sofia festade vilt – med kändisar | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Läs de raderade inläggen från Sofias hemliga blogg
From Porn Model To Princess | Love, Lola ♥ Musings about life, love, beauty & royalty
I think that her CV should have some general statement like Sofia is a former model and television personality. But there are some strong accusations out there like there was/is a concerted effort to hide Sofia's past and there is some form of collusion between the Swedish Royal Family, the royal court and the media to hide Sofia's past. I don't buy that. I think that there are some who do not find Sofia acceptable because of her past, and that's their prerogative, but I think that the reason there's no constant drum banging over a former glamour model and party girl becoming a Princess of Sweden is because most Swedes either don't consider these disqualifications to marrying into the SRF or just don't care.