Prince Carl Philip and Motor Racing

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so he is taking a break from the military exercise?

That is how I read it too and as far as I know the court web site calendar never mentions his motor racing since it is one of his hobbies.

That is how I read it too and as far as I know the court web site calendar never mentions his motor racing since it is one of his hobbies.

Hmm, i have some friends who were in the military for a while, but i don't think that it was custom to leave an exercize for a hobby :lol:
But then, i don't think P. C-P is a military man by profession?

Hmm, i have some friends who were in the military for a while, but i don't think that it was custom to leave an exercize for a hobby :lol:
But then, i don't think P. C-P is a military man by profession?

I admit that I find it a bit weird, but as far as I know it is indeed not his profession.
He only has a week of this exercise left, then it is back to Stockholm and time for other things. Hint, hint ;)

Carl Philip is a reserve officer at a military exercise. Normally at a big exercise like this there are a lot of reserve people with. At least here in Finland for every person at a military exercise is planned a task and one, also a reserve officer, can interrupt/leave the exercise only for an extremely good reason like if one gets ill or someone in one's family gets seriously ill.

Carl Philip was eight at the first test today in Solvalla. And fifteenth at the second test.
Thed Björk snabbast inför kvalet STCC

Carl Philip was 9th at the 1st qualifying at the Solvalla track. Because the grid has reserved grid order for the start at the first race, Carl Philip will start from the second place to the first race. Emma Kimiläinen was 10th at the qualifying and will be on pole at the first race. Thed Björk is on pole at the second race. Carl Philip's teacher, co-driver and friend Jan "Flash" Nilsson made come back after two years break from racing.
The eight fastest cars go to second qualifying. So Carl Philip starts from ninth place to the second race.
TouringCarTimes | Thed Björk dominates Solvalla qualifying

Gallery from today
https://www.bildbyranstr.se/?q=ZzE0MDkwNUFBQjE7cjE&offset=1#photoview

Prince Carl Philip Bernadotte had his best ever qualifying result with ninth, eight tenths of a second from Björk, in the Q1 session which means that he is going to start second in the first race thanks to the reversed grid.
”I am pleased with the result, especially as this is my first time ever on the track. The races will be interesting tomorrow, a great challenge,” said Bernadotte.
Thed Björk unstoppable in STCC qualifying at Solvalla

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously hope he will stay at the military exercise and not go car racing. It would not be a good move.

Carl Philip is a reserve officer at a military exercise. Normally at a big exercise like this there are a lot of reserve people with. At least here in Finland for every person at a military exercise is planned a task and one, also a reserve officer, can interrupt/leave the exercise only for an extremely good reason like if one gets ill or someone in one's family gets seriously ill.

Yes, that is understandable, but car racing? I still find it a bit weird, it seems trivial to (temporarily) leave for such a thing and I would think that he has time enough for it after the excercise is over. Even during the (further) planning of his wedding.

I seriously hope he will stay at the military exercise and not go car racing. It would not be a good move.

I do not understand actually why this suddenly popped up, the court information and his team information conflicts. I expected him to be fully involved with the exercise until this coming Thursday and today and tomorrow he is off for car racing? I almost thought "you *do* have time for that?", but that would not be a nice thought.

Last edited:
Well, he seems to prefer motor racing to everything else...

what a shame that he went car racing during this military exercise. It just adds up to his lazy image.

what a shame that he went car racing during this military exercise. It just adds up to his lazy image.

I do not necessarily "worry" about that, but I do wonder why he was given permission (is that the right word?) to go racing.

Not surprised at all, after all he is a rich prince who can do anything he wants to do......he maybe fooling himself but I seriously doubt if he is fooling the people. An accident of birth gave him what he has and he should be very grateful and appreciative and show that he is committed to the people and do what is expected of a hard working man in his position.

Lousy start to the race for Carl Philip. He started from the second place and after the first lap he was 8th and now he is 12th. He had a little collision but can continue. And he got a drive through -penalty. He was slow. But he was lucky since some faster drivers had to break up, he came 10th.

Last edited:
The Prince has visited the Rio +20 Sustainability Forum. He has opened a World Bioenergy Forum in an aim to reduce the carbon footprint on the world's resources. The Prince has attended summits on sustainable energies and designs in South Africa.

All very honourable and great. The credibility of his efforts however is completely destroyed by choosing a hobby which requires the swallowing of unbelievable amounts of petrol. Just for "fun". For "sports". I am okay with that but it is a bit wobbly to patronize attempts for a more sustainable world and then to do the opposite yourself.

My two cents.

The Prince has visited the Rio +20 Sustainability Forum. He has opened a World Bioenergy Forum in an aim to reduce the carbon footprint on the world's resources. The Prince has attended summits on sustainable energies and designs in South Africa.

All very honourable and great. The credibility of his efforts however is completely destroyed by choosing a hobby which requires the swallowing of unbelievable amounts of petrol. Just for "fun". For "sports". I am okay with that but it is a bit wobbly to patronize attempts for a more sustainable world and then to do the opposite yourself.

My two cents.

I agree. And Carl Philip is also one of the IUCN's Patrons of Nature.
IUCN - Patrons of Nature

Today at the pit
http://instagram.com/p/smlPv7IQLr/
http://iconosquare.com/p/803423140832536011_238697488
http://scontent-a.cdninstagram.com/...-15/10624045_337896996391205_1652766691_n.jpg

The king is also there
http://iconosquare.com/p/803509040378845882_20721573

Carl Philip came 10th also at the second race, because Emma Kimiläinen's car broke up at the last lap.

Last edited:
OK, I officially admit that I'm very dissapointed of CP right now. He should have stayed at the military excercies until the end. After all, the court made a big boohoo about him being a part of this excercies and then he cut's it short for car racing? Not a very smart move of him. :nonono:

OK, I officially admit that I'm very dissapointed of CP right now. He should have stayed at the military excercies until the end. After all, the court made a big boohoo about him being a part of this excercies and then he cut's it short for car racing? Not a very smart move of him. :nonono:

I agree, I am not happy with this move either. He needs to spend time with Sofia again. Preferably in public ;)

I agree, I am not happy with this move either. He needs to spend time with Sofia again. Preferably in public ;)

He can do that after the military exercise. Especially when this exercise is still in his official royal calender. He shouldn't go car racing if he officially is on a military ship to hunt submarines. It's simply not okay.

He can do that after the military exercise. Especially when this exercise is still in his official royal calender. He shouldn't go car racing if he officially is on a military ship to hunt submarines. It's simply not okay.

I know, and I am sure they will spend plenty of time together afterwards.
I share your view and wonder who gave him permission (I assume he has been given permission) and why.
I hope it is a one-time gaffe and that he learns from it.

Last edited:
I know, and I am sure they will spend plenty of time together afterwards.
I share your view and wonder who gave him permission (I assume he has been given permission) and why.
I hope it is a one-time gaffe and that he learns from it.

I think that it has been clear from the beginning, that Carl Philip is at the exercise as a royal and not as a "normal" reserve officer. He doesn't need any permissions. This is just a good PR since he hasn't done much royal duties lately but concentrated on his designs with the launch of jackets and textiles. So photos of the prince at the deck of a military ship came in a good time.

Expressen has an article which tells that Sofia was in Solvalla with her father Erik and sister Lina and Sara. And the king was there with Patrick Sommerlath and king's friend Noppe Lewenhaupt.
Här samlas familjen – för att heja på prinsen Allt om bilar Expressen

An updated gallery from APA, photos of Carl Philip with Sofia's family.
APA-Picturedesk

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it has been clear from the beginning, that Carl Philip is at the exercise as a royal and not as a "normal" reserve officer. He doesn't need any permissions. This is just a good PR since he hasn't done much royal duties lately but concentrated on his designs with the launch of jackets and textiles. So photos of the prince at the deck of a military ship came in a good time.

In my exes it has only been good PR until the point where he skips the exercise to have a little fun with his hobby. This is not a good example for making a decision to do something and then holding on to it as long as it lasts. I mean, this isn't an exercise somewhere far away that lasts for month. We are talking about two little weeks. Good PR would have been to really stay there for those two weeks like everyone else. Especially after he tells in his interview that he is just one of the gang there and not a prince.

Sorry, I'm a big supporter of Carl Philip, but this I simple can't excuse or explain away. This has simply not been a smart move of him. If he knew from the beginning he wouldn't be able to attend at the exercise (that should polish up his official role as a prince) he should have attended at all. This "Look how I do important things but only until it's not colliding with my hobby" is laughable. Especially if it's in is official royal calender.

:previous::lol:This is quite simply called: *Having your cake and eating it too*, he looks like he wants everyone to think he is a military man and yet when it comes down to doing the job, he runs and plays with his toys...now what does that remind a person of..........someone with no sense of obligation or responsibility, just let the peasants do the job while he sits back and does nothing....not a supporter of people that are phonies.

Yep, in this case I agree with you. Absolutely no smart move of him.

Hmm, I see your point but in my eyes it is either you are in or you are not.
Perhaps too black and white, but then so be it.
On the other hand, I just remembered this post:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f49/general-news-about-prince-carl-philip-and-sofia-hellqvist-part-1-july-2014-a-37267-2.html#post1695453. I suppose this weekend was that "possible short break".

Expressen has an article which tells that Sofia was in Solvalla with her father Erik and sister Lina and Sara. And the king was there with Patrick Sommerlath and king's friend Noppe Lewenhaupt.
Här samlas familjen – för att heja på prinsen Allt om bilar Expressen

Well, call me crazy but this is what I needed big time. A new photo of Carl Philip and Sofia...

An updated gallery from APA, photos of Carl Philip with Sofia's family.
APA-Picturedesk

This lights my spirits after the summer drought, thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Madeleine with Carl Philip
https://38.media.tumblr.com/29c29d44034035d32f6fd37e1c2ae618/tumblr_nbjypd09W61r6jme9o2_500.jpg

not a very good message, finally Carl Philip is on the royal work calendar but then he takes a break to go car racing

The court press department did say "subject to any possible short break", as I remembered later, so perhaps he is fallen over harder than necessary.
And it was two days, the weekend, not an entire week or a midweek.
Looking at the excercise it does not give off a good message but in hindsight it did not come totally unexpected.
I would say "forgive" and forget, as people generally tend to do ;):)

:previous:Forgive and forget what? He does not take his responsibilities seriously at all......I just don't understand how some people can be so blind to anyone on this earth with that type of position that does nothing to earn it. It is so like many people here in the US who expect the government to pay everything for them because of what their heritage is and who they are.............life isn't about free rides, at least not in my world.

Back
Top Bottom