Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if the prince is not super-popular
and his girlfriend isn't really the nation's sweetheart either
and they decide to marry like the 'bernadotte-uncles' and don't ask permission and he'd be stripped of his titles...

wouldn't it be viewed as a 'pity-title' if he got that 'count of visborg' one that is in the luxembourg 'collection'?
The way royals are viewed has dramatically changed since the first time that visborg title was given to a bernadotte (100+ years ago... i mean... russia still had a tsar then, germany still a kaiser)...

wouldn't it be viewed as a 'pity-title' if he got that 'count of visborg' one that is in the luxembourg 'collection'?
The way royals are viewed has dramatically changed since the first time that visborg title was given to a bernadotte (100+ years ago... i mean... russia still had a tsar then, germany still a kaiser)...
Sigvard, Carl Johan and Lennart Bernadotte were created count Bernadotte of Wisborg on July 2, 1951 by grand-duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, 61 years ago.

Sigvard, Carl Johan and Lennart Bernadotte were created count Bernadotte of Wisborg on July 2, 1951 by grand-duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, 61 years ago.

:) yeah, i know, i read the wiki's in the url above, that's why i said 'the first one' :) but anyway, 61 years ago, the way people viewed royals was also very different than today, so i have a feeling that in the current situation it would still be viewed as a 'pity-title'

Its happened in the past when Swedish Prince's lost their Royal titles and styles as the result of an 'unequal' marriage.

Count of Wisborg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excellent. ! Cheers, An Ard Ri. The precedent was set by Oscar's uncle, Adolphe, and then it carried on.

But, there is something wrong, surely, with the wiki entry for Lennart, Sigvard and Carl Johan. ? All three had the title "Count of Wisborg" bestowed upon them by the Grand Duchess Charlotte on the same day

There can't have been 3 Counts of Wisborg running around the place at the same time. ?? :ROFLMAO:

But, there is something wrong, surely, with the wiki entry for Lennart, Sigvard and Carl Johan. ? All three had the title "Count of Wisborg" bestowed upon them by the Grand Duchess Charlotte on the same day

There can't have been 3 Counts of Wisborg running around the place at the same time. ?? :ROFLMAO:
Why not, if she had decided to grant them the title count Bernadotte of Wisborg, why not do it on the same day? They were after all brothers and/or cousins.

Why not, if she had decided to grant them the title count Bernadotte of Wisborg, why not do it on the same day? They were after all brothers and/or cousins.

I had assumed that there would be only one Count of Wisborg at any given time just like there was one Count of Barcelona etc.

Breffney said:
I had assumed that there would be only one Count of Wisborg at any given time just like there was one Count of Barcelona etc.

I think it varies country to country. In the uk there is only ever one count of X like here is only one duke of Cambridge, one earl of Wessex, one duke of Westminster at any one time and when the person holding that titles dies it goes to their son and so on. However in some countries several people hold the same title at any one time, for example in Luxembourg the main royals hold the title Prince/ Princess of Luxembourg, their children hold the title Prince of Nassau and then all of their children hold the title Count of Nassau, that means all of their children not just one. Likewise in The Netherlands the children of the Queens younger two sons all hold the title Count/ Countess of Orange-Nassau at the same time.
It seems different countries have different rules about how many people hold titles at the same time but I've only noticed it really with the title count/ countess

I think that CPh can feel quite relaxed today, and think “I just went through some storm, but others are not doing any better than me!”
Certainly worse are the photos of Harry naked in Las Vegas. Also young Marius (15), son of Mette-Marit from Norway upset his family about the publication of numerous private photos on an external website for photos, mainly related to their trips and holidays, news from Expressen. The feeling of lack of security for the royal family is more at stake, than the photos themselves.

Muhler said:
I've followed the discussion here on and off and when I look at the dilemma from my own point of view it really becomes very simple.

If they love each other and feel they are right for each other, by all means marry. I'll applaud them all the way to the altar and back.

However, when asking myself these two questions:

Do I find the constellation Carl Phillip and Sofia to be appropriate official representatives for my country? The answer is no.

Do I think Carl Phillip and Sofia would make an acceptable Regent Couple, should a terrible accident occour? The answer is no.

Things you do throughout your life, also in your early youth have consequences, sorry. That's life.

Monarchies are in their very nature conservative institutions adhering to conservative and traditional values.
Having a princess who has repeatedly, not just once, repeatedly, posed in the buff is a big minus.
Having a princess who has appeared in reality shows is also a big minus.

However, I would be willing to look away from her topless photos and even her antics in reality shows, if she had accomplished something significant. If she was really extraordinary.
Is she a doctor? Has she saved lives? Is she doing cancer research? Has she worked in refugee camps? Has she served in Afghanistan? Something on that level, preferably higher.
No, she has been a less than fully dressed model a few times, - not even a professional, highly paid nude model.
She has appeared in shows that are usually defined with having a cast of uninteresting egomaniacs.
And then she has done.....?

I do not find Sofia to be a good rolemodel. Showing children and youths that you by flaunting your t*ts and appearing in reality shows you can end up becoming a princess, does not conform to the values I believe a monarchy should represent. In that respect I'm pretty conservative.

On top of having thrashed Sofia above, I must add that Carl Phillip's dedication and workload in regards to his status and his country doesn't impress me either. If Carl Phillip was an extraordinary and dedicated man, I might be willing to accept that Sofia is THE woman in his life and give them a chance. But he doesn't impress me.

So to sum up. If they want to, marry. But Carl Phillip should give up his royal status at the same time.

I agree completely, Sofia is hardly a good representative of Sweden abroad IMO, I mean look at when Carla Brunei came to the UK on a state visit, the day before pictures of her posing naked were released! I can see that if they ever went to visit a country overseas the media would reprint the photos of her over and over. I know it sounds mean because people keep saying, don't judge her, but that's life as a royal I'm sorry. Again agree if she'd modelled to put herself through law or medical school it could be spun as a positive but she just wants to be famous and hey look, pose naked, go on reality tv and then you get to be a royal and live a luxury lifestyle at taxpayers expense, hardly appropriate and to me very embarrassing for the royal family and a problem they'd keep having to fight for many more years to come which with the Swedish royals other problems at the moment is one problem too many. Sorry but it's the truth as mean as it sounds.
Agree about CP's dedication to the job, I mean he doesn't have the fullest diary so why not just give it up.
Personally if I was the royal court I'd say that Sofia will only get the title duchess as was proposed for Jonas when he was going to marry Madeleine, I know Sofia might be entitled to HRH and Princess but they could announce the engagement and that she would not be Princess and that might overcome some negativity against any marriage.

The difference between Carla and Sofia is that Ms. Bruni was only going to be First Lady for a few years. Sofia, if she does marry the Prince, will be a royal until either she dies or the monarchy is abolished.

I think it varies country to country. In the uk there is only ever one count of X like here is only one duke of Cambridge, one earl of Wessex, one duke of Westminster at any one time and when the person holding that titles dies it goes to their son and so on. However in some countries several people hold the same title at any one time, for example in Luxembourg the main royals hold the title Prince/ Princess of Luxembourg, their children hold the title Prince of Nassau and then all of their children hold the title Count of Nassau, that means all of their children not just one. Likewise in The Netherlands the children of the Queens younger two sons all hold the title Count/ Countess of Orange-Nassau at the same time.
It seems different countries have different rules about how many people hold titles at the same time but I've only noticed it really with the title count/ countess

Thanks a million, tommy100. You explained that perfectly for me. :flowers:

Yes, living next door to the UK, I would be more in tune with the idea of one Count, Duke, Earl etc. of X. That was why I found the notion of more than one at the same time as unusual.

If they do marry? I don't see an Engagement coming this year?

But if they do marry will her title be PRINCESS or DUCHESS?

Or would a different NEW Title be available?

HRH etc.

If they do marry? I don't see an Engagement coming this year?

But if they do marry will her title be PRINCESS or DUCHESS?

Or would a different NEW Title be available?

HRH etc.

As there's no news,lets wait and see what happens,anything else is just speculation.

Quote "Monarchies are in their very nature conservative institutions adhering to conservative and traditional values.
Having a princess who has repeatedly, not just once, repeatedly, posed in the buff is a big minus.
Having a princess who has appeared in reality shows is also a big minus."

I fully agree!
Pictures or videos in large numbers about a controversial life part is the worst situation for celebrities. If we compare the cases of Carla or Sofia, I find the situation much worse for Sofia. There are only a few pics of Carla naked, and can be seen as involving some artistic features. While if you type the name of Sofia in full on Youtube, you get a dozen of videos, each more provocative than the other.
Carla has a recognized international career as a top model working for leading fashion designers, and had no need at all to marry the president to ensure her subsistence. Nothing similar for Sofia.

These pix make me wonder, if she does marry CP, will the couriers or whoever make her get her teeth fixed.

XeniaCasaraghi said:
These pix make me wonder, if she does marry CP, will the couriers or whoever make her get her teeth fixed.

I think her teeth are really cute actually. The slight imperfection makes her good looks approachable.

I don't understand! What has her marrying CP got to do with getting her teeth "picket fenced"? Actually, I don't understand the American fixation with teeth at all! :argh:

I think her teeth are really cute actually. The slight imperfection makes her good looks approachable.
It's news to me that there has ever been a lack of approachability to Miss Hellqvist's looks...

I don't find them cute but there are certainly worse teeth out there in the world. The teeth she already has work for her. No need to change them.

Can we get back on topic,this is not a dental forum

I somehow get the feeling that Prince Carl Philip & Sofia Hellqvist are going to walk down the isle in the not too distant future.

Well, her fans at the Swedish gossip magazines have been campaigning hard enough for it. Let's hope they will get married as soon as possible, just to get it over with. No need to strech this painful exersize any longer.

I will consider her royal status as a joke, though sadly the joke will be on us. How on earth can we take this whole thing seriously when such a woman, who seems to have no credentials at all, who has been white washing her past so actively (and with a lot of help) and who has spent the last decade to become a 'celeb' will be seen as an asset to the nation? The whole thing just shows that for many a monarchy is nothing more than an expensive real life soap.

:previous:
I have to confess having exactly the same feelings concerning the situation. The daily overly-sweet articles are really getting on my nerves and while I do think Carl Philip must marry whoever he loves, Sofia's royal status and potential role as a representative of Sweden is off putting.

I have read once that British tent to say that having monarchy is the cheapest and the most entertainment soap opera, it only coat less that pound. I think that they have right, monarchy is not the same as decades ago.

Well, her fans at the Swedish gossip magazines have been campaigning hard enough for it. Let's hope they will get married as soon as possible, just to get it over with. No need to strech this painful exersize any longer.

I will consider her royal status as a joke, though sadly the joke will be on us. How on earth can we take this whole thing seriously when such a woman, who seems to have no credentials at all, who has been white washing her past so actively (and with a lot of help) and who has spent the last decade to become a 'celeb' will be seen as an asset to the nation? The whole thing just shows that for many a monarchy is nothing more than an expensive real life soap.

seriously?? she poses in a bikini with a snake and everyone screams whore but prince harry is running around las vegas naked with strippers totally embarrassing the BRF and the queen .and he is viewed as a rascal gets his hair tossed and is told to run along and be a good boy.

i just dont get the irrational dislike of this poor girl by some on here yes she posed for some questionable pictures 7 years ago. she is not doing it now and making a fool out of herself like prince harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom