Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boris said:
But is your father the King of California, and your little brother the Crown Prince whose christening was a state occasion...? ;)

In that case he definitely would not have been invited! No questions asked. And my parents wouldn't care who's feelings are hurt. :)

In all honesty, I'm flabbergasted that Sofia's invited. Hopefully she won't show up tomorrow but that's wishful thinking.

Last edited:
LadyFinn said:
But I also think that this is a slap to Daniel's face, he had to wait for the engagement to attend in public and state events.

I agree. This is what bothers me most about the situation with Sofia- it is so disrespectful to Daniel.

NGalitzine said:
He allowed Bertil to marry Lilian while in a different time Bertils brothers had to give up their rank to marry the women they want. Was that a slap in the face to his brothers?[\QUOTE]

Prince Bertil's brothers lost their rights because of their father's rules. They could also have chosen to wait until their nephew came to the throne to marry, as Bertil did. The problem I have here is that Carl Gustaf apparently has one set of rules for Victoria and another for Carl-Philip.

I agree that the monarch has to evolve with the times, but we are talking about a span of a few years here, not a few decades. Carl Gustaf's abrupt about-face creates an impression of unfair favoritism, in my opinion.

NGalitzine said:
He allowed Bertil to marry Lilian while in a different time Bertils brothers had to give up their rank to marry the women they want. Was that a slap in the face to his brothers?[\QUOTE]

Prince Bertil's brothers lost their rights because of their father's rules. They could also have chosen to wait until their nephew came to the throne to marry, as Bertil did. The problem I have here is that Carl Gustaf apparently has one set of rules for Victoria and another for Carl-Philip.

I agree that the monarch has to evolve with the times, but we are talking about a span of a few years here, not a few decades. Carl Gustaf's abrupt about-face creates an impression of unfair favoritism, in my opinion.

Perhaps, but have you not changed your opinions on anything over a couple of years or even a couple of days. Maybe the king felt his presumed attitude towards Daniel was wrong and he wants to correct it with his other 2 children. Everyone knows they live with their partners so it would seem foolish and outdated to try and ignore that fact, let alone inflict hurt on his younger children. It may be a state occasion but it is also very much a family occasion, perhaps even primarily a family occasion for those most closely involved.

NGalitzine said:

I don't see how it setting different rule for Victoria and Carl-Philip when Carl-Philip long time x-girlfriend didn't get invited to official engagement when they were engage. And both Sofia and Chris years later are invited to the Christening. People sometime relax some rules as they get older

To me its natural that both are invited, they are not just dating but live-in partners, however, they should be seated elsewhere. If you tolerate live-in partners, show yourself as monarchs with these live-in partners on holidays or other events, why should they be excluded at the christening?

To me, the SRF's handling is very misguided, no clear rules. Over many years, Daniel seemed unwelcome and I still have the feeling it was personal and not because Victoria was the heiress. Why wasnt he accepted in the same way?

If you have children at a certain age, royal or not, as parents, you need to accept their way of life, partners they chose to live with etc. But then, dont make a difference. If you are tolerant, be tolerant with anyone. If you are not, dont single somebody out.

Lena Ramel, a former (?) mentor of Madeleine just said on german TV that she's met Sofia before (she has not met Chris before) and calls her a very nice, intelligent young woman, who's a very good partner to Prince Carl Philip.

No offense to you all, but if a woman like that says things like this, I tend to believe that I was right all along with my very own view on Sofia. No matter what all the Sofia-haters/not likers think, say and write.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04yZ24G4GS45w/x610.jpg
Chris O'Neill, boyfriend of Sweden's Princess Madeleine, and Sofia Hellqvist, girlfriend of Sweden's Prince Carl Philip arrive for the christening of Sweden's Princess Estelle, first born daughter of Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, May 22, 2012.

I thought Sofia's nude (:p) dress was horrible, a strange fit and inviting people to guess what she wore underneath, I didnt like her look at all, incl hair & fascinator.

Above its one of the few pictures where Sofia is not looking for and into a camera - very much unlike Chris who doesnt seem into attention at all.

Yes, Sophia's dress leaves much to be desired. Besides it, her smile seemed to be so "infernal " and unnatural, maybe she was a bit nervous and wanted to make a good impression on public.

I had thought she is beeing trained to be a princess....it doesn't appears so.

Well, it wouldn't have hurt if Chris O'Neil had placed his face a little closer to his razor.

Stubbles may be fashionable and look good at a cafe or nightclub. - Not so a state event.
You show up well groomed to show respect for the occasion and the hosts. So a knock on the head for Chris O'Neil from me.

Sofia's dress is not at all appropriate for such an occasion. Apparently, she got what she had at hand:whistling:. And her hat would make more use to her if she had gone to an equestrian event.:lol:

Well, it wouldn't have hurt if Chris O'Neil had placed his face a little closer to his razor.

Stubbles may be fashionable and look good at a cafe or nightclub. - Not so a state event.
You show up well groomed to show respect for the occasion and the hosts. So a knock on the head for Chris O'Neil from me.

Thank you Muhler! I had written the exact same thing -- in the christening thread -- when Chris walked into the church

Thank you Muhler! I had written the exact same thing -- in the christening thread -- when Chris walked into the church

:lol:

And I'm relieved to learn that I was wrong, it appears that the presence of Sofia and Chris doesn't take up as much space as I feared.

Sofia looks too beige in her dress! But I like her hair!:)

Why does everyone complain about Chris and no one complains about Haakon? He's also hair in his face and was much more in the focus today than Chris was. I don't have anything against Chris' stubble. I would've been more confused, if he would have been all shaved and clear. Because that's simple just not him. He's a man who looks good witha little stubble IMO.

I also like Sofias hair. But I also like her dress, hair and facinator. Even though I would have liked the dress to be a little thicker. Because it looks like it's a bit seethrough in the panty-region and it molds to perfect around her breast. Others than that I really liked the dress.

And speaking of the facinator that seems to be not very much liked here: Think positiv girls (and boys, because a few of them are here also)! It could have been way worse than that if she would have tried to get a hand on Beatrix of Yorks antlers from Wills and Kates wedding. The colour could have almost matched.

Btw, did you recognize that only Madeleine wore something different than beige or rosé? Victoria, Silvia and Sofia almost matched with their clothing colour.

Btw, did you recognize that only Madeleine wore something different than beige or rosé? Victoria, Silvia and Sofia almost matched with their clothing colour.

Maddy always wear something blue or purple! I saw her once or twice in beige!

Sofia looked nice and obviously their presence wasn't that big a deal

Sofia looked nice and obviously their presence wasn't that big a deal

It is a big deal, the swedish newspapers and photo agencies have much more photos of them than many of the royal guests.

Haakon looks good in his beard and it is well-groomed. Chris looks grimy and rugged.

Maddy always wear something blue or purple! I saw her once or twice in beige!

Even though this is not the Madeleine-Thread I just want to add a little compliment about Madeleines choice of clothes, too. It really siuted her and I would love to see what shewore underneath the coat? Are there any pics of that? Maybe somewhere in the Madeleine-Thread?

And her hat? To die for. Especially the little netting over her eyes. She looked absolutely beautiful today with her dark hair, the hairdo, the hat and her darkframed blue eyes. She's morphed from a beautiful young woman into a very elegant, beautiful woman lately. It seems she has martured a lot.

OK, and that's all about my opinion about Madeleine here. ;)

Even though this is not the Madeleine-Thread I just want to add a little compliment about Madeleines choice of clothes, too. It really siuted her and I would love to see what shewore underneath the coat? Are there any pics of that? Maybe somewhere in the Madeleine-Thread?

And her hat? To die for. Especially the little netting over her eyes. She looked absolutely beautiful today with her dark hair, the hairdo, the hat and her darkframed blue eyes. She's morphed from a beautiful young woman into a very elegant, beautiful woman lately. It seems she has martured a lot.

OK, and that's all about my opinion about Madeleine here. ;)

totally agree! I think that Sofia should take some style lessons in Maddy!

Can somebody explain me why Sofia was with Chris? For me it was unexpectedly!:ermm:

KitKat2006 said:
Lena Ramel, a former (?) mentor of Madeleine just said on german TV that she's met Sofia before (she has not met Chris before) and calls her a very nice, intelligent young woman, who's a very good partner to Prince Carl Philip.

No offense to you all, but if a woman like that says things like this, I tend to believe that I was right all along with my very own view on Sofia. No matter what all the Sofia-haters/not likers think, say and write.

I don't remember the "Sofia Haters" as you call them, saying she wasn't a nice person. For the 1000th time, some people have a problem with the way she carried herself in the past and how she's willing to do anything for a bit of attention now. The timing of the charity, etc. There are a lot of red flags when it comes to Sofia, but unlike you some people aren't willing to overlook them.

BTW no one knows what goes on behind closed doors between Carl Philip and Sofia. That mentor can say she's a good partner for him but only Carl Philip can make that call;)

Lulu_tka said:
Can somebody explain me why Sofia was with Chris? For me it was unexpectedly!:ermm:

It was unexpected to us all. A likely theory in swedish media is that the court wanted them to go side by side to not take to much focus from the royal guests. But not surprisingly to me the swedish journalists has decided to write more about them then about many of the royal guests.

I like both Sofia and Chris and looking forward to see them marry their Prince/Princess but i had preferred that they followed the old rule and not invited them until they are engaged.

Duke of Marmalade said:
To me its natural that both are invited, they are not just dating but live-in partners, however, they should be seated elsewhere. If you tolerate live-in partners, show yourself as monarchs with these live-in partners on holidays or other events, why should they be excluded at the christening?

To me, the SRF's handling is very misguided, no clear rules. Over many years, Daniel seemed unwelcome and I still have the feeling it was personal and not because Victoria was the heiress. Why wasnt he accepted in the same way?

If you have children at a certain age, royal or not, as parents, you need to accept their way of life, partners they chose to live with etc. But then, dont make a difference. If you are tolerant, be tolerant with anyone. If you are not, dont single somebody out.

That's what I was saying! At my brothers christening my boyfriend at the time was invited although my parents couldn't stand him, it was to make me happy. And the fact that you can't deny a grown up of their date.

I agree, it's a pity how they treated Daniel in the past. I wonder how feels seeing all of this happen....

Sofia was grinning like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. Even our local tv reporters were talking about her behaviour :)

Well, I haven't been interested in Sofia Hellquist before, simply because I'm not interested in royal relationships until they are officially acknowledged.

I've of course seen a couple of pics of her less than fully dressed.
That's something those who wish to appear on Big Brother and Paradise Hotel should consider. It can lead to doors being closed or at least difficult to open later on.
Okay, she's paying the prize for that now.

I don't know her otherwise, I haven't heard her talk, I don't know about her family and past, she's a blank paper to me.

In regards to first impressions, she was in my eyes appropriatly attired. Not flamboyant, not revealing. So she did okay.

She and Chris O'Neil are now in my eyes officially acknowledged by the SRF. I hope they are both fully aware of that.

I have one comparable situation to the discussion "Sofia and Chris invited to the christening of Princess Estelle":

Mabel Wisse Smit was not yet engaged to Prince Johan Friso of the Netherlands, but invited to the wedding of Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and Laurentien Brinkhorst. And as far as I know no one had troubles about this fact.

But it could also be, that either Madeleine and Chris or Carl Philip and Sofia are engaged but these engagements were not announced to ensure that the whole focus on this day is only on Estelle, Victoria and Daniel. Wasn't Prince Albert of Monaco engaged to Charlene Wittstock at the time of the wedding of Victoria and Daniel? Only for days after the wedding, the engagement was announced. Has anyone problems with the attendance of Charlene at this wedding as a (until then) commoner?

Was today the main focus on the sibling-partners of Victoria? IMO the attendance of Chris and Sofia was still a little bit in media attention just as arriving guests.

Okay, Daniel has a hard way to get on his current position, but I am sure that if Daniel and Victoria have not gave their consent to this invitation, they would have never been invited.

To the whole "Face"-discussion of Sofia: IMO Sofia looks like: "I am proud that my boyfriend is godfather of Estelle and he is doing a great job." And to the "Face"-discussion of Chris: He might feel not comfortable with the language spoken today as he doesn't speak it, to be surrounded by people he might not know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom