Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do we know for sure that Sofia isn't getting up and going to some kind of work every day? How do we know that she's not working on a payed job from home somehow? How do we know she f.e. doesn't hold a job as a columnist at a fashion magazine under some kind of pseudonym to not shift attention from the topic of the column itself?
As Swedish tax returns are public papers it is possible to find out exactly how much Sofia (or any person in Sweden for that matter) have earned each year if she has earned more than 18 612 Swedish crowns/year (about 1 800 Euro). Even if she had a job under a pseudonym she would have to pay taxes in her own name and I doubt any employer would want to risk paying her under a false name as that would be considered as black market economy and they could be fined for that.

Nor would she be able to study without the gossip papers and evening papers finding out, as information such as if she has a study loan and eventual grades she makes are public information. I doubt any university/school would agree to "hide"/not report her grades because she is a royal girlfriend, the way Carl Philip's grades were not reported while he was studying.

It's not too difficult to find out a person's personnummer and when you have access to that it's easy to find out whatever information there are about her/him in public archives. Swedish media have undoubtedly that information about Sofia and keep their eyes open for any change.

I take it from what you have posted that the concept of personal privacy is not well known in Sweden. Personally I don't think anyone should have access to my tax documents.

I take it from what you have posted that the concept of personal privacy is not well known in Sweden. Personally I don't think anyone should have access to my tax documents.
It's not the entire tax documentation that is public, what you can see in the income/wages and how much income from funds you have got each year.

Social transparency, Transparency (social) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , is considered more important than personal privacy in Sweden, whether it's good or bad is up each and everyone to decide.

Kit said:
I just posted this in the Christening thread but I have to repost it here:

Wow I just watched all the 463 christening pictures on the Swedish Royal Website and guess what ? There was not even one clear photo of CP Mary where she is alone and/or in the foreground (the same applies for all the godparents except Carl Philip) BUT more than 20 pictures of Sofia (sometimes alone and sometimes with Chris) featured prominently in the foreground. Think of it whatever you want but I see an engagement coming in the next few weeks .....

An engagement coming or not, someone is really trying to put Sofia out there by posting so many pictures with her. I don't have much knowledge about her, but, IMO it looks like we're being told "she's not going anywhere, so get use to it". I don't really care about her past, but I do care that she comes across as being smug and almost arrogant about being there. How can someone be so pretty, yet come across as being so unattractive at the same time?!?! That's my impression of her from yesterday. She did not come across very well at all IMO. I hope I am wrong.

It's not the entire tax documentation that is public, what you can see in the income/wages and how much income from funds you have got each year.

Social transparency, Transparency (social) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , is considered more important than personal privacy in Sweden, whether it's good or bad is up each and everyone to decide.

That would be enough to convince me to become a tax exile. No one should be able to determine how much money another earns, for one thing it could endanger a high earner if not cause jealousy if not simply that it is a private matter.

As Swedish tax returns are public papers it is possible to find out exactly how much Sofia (or any person in Sweden for that matter) have earned each year if she has earned more than 18 612 Swedish crowns/year (about 1 800 Euro). Even if she had a job under a pseudonym she would have to pay taxes in her own name and I doubt any employer would want to risk paying her under a false name as that would be considered as black market economy and they could be fined for that.

Nor would she be able to study without the gossip papers and evening papers finding out, as information such as if she has a study loan and eventual grades she makes are public information. I doubt any university/school would agree to "hide"/not report her grades because she is a royal girlfriend, the way Carl Philip's grades were not reported while he was studying.

It's not too difficult to find out a person's personnummer and when you have access to that it's easy to find out whatever information there are about her/him in public archives. Swedish media have undoubtedly that information about Sofia and keep their eyes open for any change.

So basically you are telling me that everyone in Sweden is as clear as glass when it comes to taxes you have to pay or grades you are getting or other things like that? Isn't there anything called privacy in Sweden? It's okay that the state controlls that you pay your taxes and the school stuff knows your grades but for everyone able to find easily is a very strange thing to me. I wouldn't want any- and everyone to know about my tax payings or grades or whatever. Not out of guilt or shame but simply for privacy reasons. No one but the official places should know thinks like that. And definitely no nosy reporter or some complete stranger who happens to get his / her hand on my personnumber somehow. That's weird. Really weird IMO.

So basically you are telling me that everyone in Sweden is as clear as glass when it comes to taxes you have to pay or grades you are getting or other things like that? Isn't there anything called privacy in Sweden?
Different countries, different set of rules/traditions. Here is an explanation of the Swedish Principle of Public Access, http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2184/a/15521 Tax returns and school grades are considered public papers.

Last edited:
Different countries, different set of rules/traditions. Here is an explanation of the Swedish Principle of Public Access, The Principle of Public Access Tax returns and school grades are considered public papers.

Definitely right, but that doesn't mean I have to like this, right? In Germany school certificates (which lists all important grades from the year) are considered official but privat documents, which no one has a right to see if the owner isn't okay with it. And tax returns are absolutely privat informations. No one has a chance to learn about this things from others. Not even if they want to know about this, because if they do get infos like that and they don't work at the tax office they definitely got this infos through some illegal channels. And that's considered crime and ends in front of some judge in some courtroom.

Maybe you understand my reaction a little better now. Like you said: "Different countries, different set of rules/traditions." I'm just not used to your ways. ;)

Meraude said:
Different countries, different set of rules/traditions. Here is an explanation of the Swedish Principle of Public Access, http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2184/a/15521 Tax returns and school grades are considered public papers.

Wow! I would hate for my tax returns to be in the papers! I want you clarify something. So in Sweden my income, or however much money I made in a given year, would be made public??

KitKat2006 said:
It seems like we're both hot-tempered persons and one of us has always her blood boiling after a few comments of the other. But even if it sounds strange now and you maybe may not believe me: Somehow I really like you, even if we're not on the same page when it comes to Sofia. ;)

Strangely, I feel the same way. I must say you've never made yourself as clear as you have like in our recent conversation. I totally get where your coming from now...although I still don't agree on some things. But just because there are a lot things about Sofia that I can't stand, and there are a lot, it doesn't mean that I hate her. It irks me when I feel like someone is being manipulative and opportunistic. Those are two characteristics that I definitely hate.

Last edited:
Wow! I would hate for my tax returns to be in the papers! I want you clarify something. So in Sweden my income, or however much money I made in a given year, would be made public??
Not published in the papers, unless you were some kind of celebrity, but there is a book (actually several books, and today also sites on the internet) where the names and incomes of most people are published. Not everyone is in the printed books, much due to the fact that the books would be too thick, but I think the online version have all Swedes. For the online version there is a cost of 10 SKr or 25 SKr for the data, and I would guess it's mostly used by nosy friends and neighbours.

Last edited:
Strangely, I feel the same way. I must say you've never made yourself as clear as you have like in our recent conversation. I totally get where your coming from now...although I still don't agree on some things. But just because there are a lot things about Sofia that I can't stand, and there are a lot, it doesn't mean that I hate her. It irks me when I feel like someone is being manipulative and opportunistic. Those are two characteristics that I definitely hate.

You know, this is the first time I agree with one of your statements. I also don't like manipulative and/or opportunistic people. But somehow I don't really get that vibe from Sofia like many others do.

I also don't think I wrote anything different than every other time I tried to make myself clear. But maybe this time I finally choose the right words in the right context to clearify myself. Because a lot of times in the past I had the feeling you and others didn't read the same things I was meaning with my words. And that also made me mad sometimes. Mad at myself. But hey, I don't always find the right words in my own language when I'm in a discussion with someone over something that really interests me. In a foreign language it's even harder to not make this tiny errors that completely changes the meaning of a sentence or a context sometimes. And I really hope this has happened right here and now and you get what I mean.

I think an engagement should be announced, a wedding planned and celebrated. Everyone always says royals "should marry for love." Well, that could just be the case between C-P and Sophia. Why should he not marry her if he loves her? Just because we think Sofia "unsuitable" now, does not mean she is unsuitable.

Of course there is always the possibility that Carl Philip is a seriel monogamist, content to be with one woman for long periods of time before moving on. Marry, don't marry at the end of the day it is still his choice who he wants to spend his life with.

It irks me when I feel like someone is being manipulative and opportunistic. Those are two characteristics that I definitely hate.

Well, what's the worst that can happen?

They get married, have a child or two, and at some point divorce? Oh well, an unfortunate thing to have happen but I doubt it would ruin the monarchy and would perhaps encourage Carl Philip to give considerate thought as to what he really needs in a wife and what is appropriate for the institution and if the two are realistic realities that can co-exist.

Without doubt the first thing which would have likely attracted Carl to Sofia would have been her overall physical appearance. He is afterall a man and thus instincitively visual by nature. And evidently they have built on that to whatever extent.

They are both young and no doubt their relationship is a passionate one at the current time but it is only after a marriage that the longterm vliability of a couples relationship comes into play. Sometimes it shifts rather quickly, sometimes slowly and then again not at all. Only time would tell with this one; if infact marriage is thought to be a likely possibility.

Last edited:
Up untill now I had never cared much about Sophia, simply because CP can love who he wants, we are not even sure she is here to stay and even that wouldn't concern me.
However i am starting to change my mind.

She does not.
Actually, Sofia Hellqvist has not held a paid job ever since she started her relationship with Prince Carl Philip.
When she met Carl Philip, she did not have a place of her own to live in Sweden either but was registered as living with her parents, she had no regular job, and did not study either.
In the two and a half years of their relationship, she apparently made one promotion deal with the yoga clothing line DOM which appears to have terminated by now.
'Job'-wise, that's all.

How does this woman lives? Is she living at the SRF expenses? No idea, but it is a bit weird IMHO and makes me reconsider my opinion on her. Up until now i thought the problems were in her past, but the present seems unclear.
However if they have accepted her, maybe she is not living on their money.

I just posted this in the Christening thread but I have to repost it here:

Wow I just watched all the 463 christening pictures on the Swedish Royal Website and guess what ? There was not even one clear photo of CP Mary where she is alone and/or in the foreground (the same applies for all the godparents except Carl Philip) BUT more than 20 pictures of Sofia (sometimes alone and sometimes with Chris) featured prominently in the foreground. Think of it whatever you want but I see an engagement coming in the next few weeks .....

There are too many pictures of Sophia of the SRF website, and maybe a bit too many of chris as well, considering the number of pictures of other more important guests! SRF should have not post them all!

Well, what's the worst that can happen?

They get married, have a child or two, and at some point divorce?
And what would worry me is how would Sofia behave after a divorce, or for that matter if Carl Philip breaks off their relationship without marrying her. Before her relationship with Carl Philip she very much wanted to become a celebrity, by for example taking part in a docu-soap, and I don't think her wishes for staying in the media attention will be less after a divorce/relationship breakdown. If the behaviour of Sarah, duchess of York, after her divorce have been considered less than suitable for a former member of a royal family, I fear Sofia would cause the same kind or worse headlines for the SRF. Wouldn't Playboy or similar magazines pay a hefty sum of money for a centerfold of a scantily dressed former royal?

I think it's just a bad picture angle; Madeleine is highly unlikely to see something different.
There is a video of the "incident" at Aftonbladet.se, haven't seen it so I don't know how it looks there.

As to poke somebody's backside (or make it look like that), I remember a photo involving princess Diana, duchess Sarah, an umbrella and an unknown gentleman.

Last edited:
And what would worry me is how would Sofia behave after a divorce, or for that matter if Carl Philip breaks off their relationship without marrying her. Before her relationship with Carl Philip she very much wanted to become a celebrity, by for example taking part in a docu-soap, and I don't think her wishes for staying in the media attention will be less after a divorce/relationship breakdown. If the behaviour of Sarah, duchess of York, after her divorce have been considered less than suitable for a former member of a royal family, I fear Sofia would cause the same kind or worse headlines for the SRF. Wouldn't Playboy or similar magazines pay a hefty sum of money for a centerfold of a scantily dressed former royal?

Well, what are pre-nups for? Just insert clauses to be at the safe side. She would happyly sign all of them it that meant a "go" for the wedding.

Well, what are pre-nups for? Just insert clauses to be at the safe side. She would happyly sign all of them it that meant a "go" for the wedding.
Even if pre-nups are signed it doesn't mean that a person keeps them, if she feels she can gain more by breakning them than keeping them, there could be very little the SRF can do to force her to follow a pre-nup.

I, too, think it is a bad camera angle. S. is not close enough to the gentleman and I think the motion is one that we all might make when walking, or she may have been on the downside of having waved at someone with her program.

I hope when C-P/Sofia's engagement is announced that there are enough smelling salts to go around. LOL

Sofia Hellqvist participated on Wednesday at Svenska Postkodlotteriet's event "Leadership for Human Rights", where one of the speakers was Desmond Tutu.
Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says that Sofia has one ace on her sleeve: Sofia is almost an exact copy of Queen Silvia as a young woman, so it is perhaps not surprising that Carl Philip is madly in love.
Hun er nærmest en tro kopi av dronning Silvia - Kjendis
Google translation

I'm astonished that a royal expert can compare Sofia to queen Silvia. Queen Silvia was a stunning classic beauty when she was young. Sofia may be pretty but she is not even close to Silvia's beauty. And if Sofia wouldn't dye her hair, their similarity would be even less. Obviously Totland meant only the looks, because you can't compare the past of Sofia to the past of the queen, their education can't be compared, and surely not their behaviour... Sofia isn't like queen Silvia at all.

Last edited:
LadyFinn said:
Sofia Hellqvist participated on Wednesday at Svenska Postkodlotteriet's event "Leadership for Human Rights", where one of the speakers was Desmond Tutu.
Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland says that Sofia has one ace on her sleeve: Sofia is almost an exact copy of Queen Silvia as a young woman, so it is perhaps not surprising that Carl Philip is madly in love.
Google translation

I'm astonished that a royal expert can compare Sofia to queen Silvia. Queen Silvia was a stunning classic beauty when she was young. Sofia may be pretty but she is not even close to Silvia's beauty. And if Sofia wouldn't dye her hair, their similarity would be even less. Obviously Totland meant only the looks, because you can't compare the past of Sofia to the past of the queen, their education can't be compared, and surely not their behaviour... Sofia isn't like queen Silvia at all.

I completely agree. Silvia was stunning when she married the King. Sofia is pretty, but not stunning. If it weren't for her physique and sexual allure she wouldn't be very attractive at all I think. I also think Silvia has a beautiful smile. I don't like Sofia's smile very much. Well it's a terrible comparison! If I were the Queen I'd be insulted for sure.

I hope when C-P/Sofia's engagement is announced that there are enough smelling salts to go around. LOL

They should perhaps alert the hospitals before the public announcement. Cardiac units may be overflowing.

NGalitzine said:
They should perhaps alert the hospitals before the public announcement. Cardiac units may be overflowing.

Yup. There will be an unprecedented epidemic of an ailment commonly known as having the vapors.

Google translation

Oh God. I agree the only thing Sofia has in common with a young Silvia is dark hair...Silvia was a striking NATURAL beauty...with perfect teeth. :cool:

Stop the madness. :bang::bang:

Silvia was a striking NATURAL beauty...with perfect teeth.
Well, I wouldn't agree to that Silvia have perfect teeth, it's true that she doesn't have a gap between her front teeth, her gap is between the second and third tooth: http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/217/217355/21735550/jpg/active/480x.jpg

As for Sofia having a gap between her front teeth, there is not the same obsession in having a "perfect smile" in Sweden as there are in the U.S., a smile with imperfections are seen more as something charming. I have to say that I prefer the naturalness of Sofia's teeth than the artificial capped smile of many American celebrities. That Sofia have a gap and haven't wore braces was probably a choice she made for some reason, and not because of lack of money as all children in Sweden have the right to full dental care free of charge until the age of 19.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom