Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought he looked fine. They're holding hands which isn't something that a couple who weren't in love or who disliked each other would do. I didn't think there was anything 'off' about their relationship at Leonore's christening. As Lee-Z has said, Carl Philip and Sofia and other couples don't have to kiss or hug each other every ten minutes to show their love for one another.

I also doubt their relationship is over, since there have been lots of rumours about proposals and marriage dates (IIRC, there were engagement rumours at the time of Madeleine and Chris's wedding). I wasn't sure about a wedding between Carl Philip and Sofia in the past, but now I think that it might happen, possibly next year or the year after.

Apparently, Sofia's dress she wore at the christening is from Valerie:

http://www.newmyroyals.com/2014/06/sofia-hellqvist-in-valerie.html

I think that instead of a marriage it might happen a "happy" event...

Svensk Damtidning wrote in March that there will be an engagement before the king's birthday. It didn't happen and now Svensk Damtidning has invented a new explanation why Carl Philip and Sofia haven't got engaged yet.
Carl Philip and Sofia aren't just ready to get engaged. Sofia is so involved with her work at the Project Playground and as a princess she wouldn't have time to work with PP as intensively as now. She wants to concentrate on her career. And there is Leonore's christening and the court doesn't want many events at the same time. Carl Philip has also denied the reports that he is designing the engagement ring. And Sofia told at the TV-interview that she doesn't feel home at great galas with gala gowns which is a big part of being a princess. And by waiting and waiting Carl Philip and Sofia get more and more people to their side.

She could have fooled me easiely!!!!:lol:

Yes, she does!

I feel that we may expect their engagement soon! Maybe on Sofia's 30th birthday? (6 December).

Gosh these two are still together! Just marry her already and call it a day. I'm sure that's her greatest desire anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The Royals Community mobile app

They will marry when they're ready. And they won't marry when they're not. And even if they never marry and still stay a couple, it's okay. It's their relationship and they decide what to do and where to go. And unless there is an official announcement for anything all these speculations are just wasted time.

If there really will be an engagement this summer, I'm sure they won't announce it officially until after their summer holiday, which means August at earliest. But let's wait and see. The press is always speculating about an engagement and it's just a question of time when they're right with their speculations.

By the way, the third picture of that article which shows Sofia alone is really nice.

Again, Sofia and CP are engaged every year and more for the press...

If I were the press, I wouldn't say that they are free to get engaged but are free to announce it.

They will marry when they're ready. And they won't marry when they're not. And even if they never marry and still stay a couple, it's okay. It's their relationship and they decide what to do and where to go. And unless there is an official announcement for anything all these speculations are just wasted time.

It is not so simple. They can't get married unless they have the consent of the King and the government of Sweden, which is not guaranteed at this point. On the other hand, if they stay a couple, but don't get married, their children will have no succession rights.

It is not so simple. They can't get married unless they have the consent of the King and the government of Sweden, which is not guaranteed at this point. On the other hand, if they stay a couple, but don't get married, their children will have no succession rights.

They can also get married without the King's consent and CP will lose his succession rights. I doubt the King would refuse permission though and the government is unlikely to veto unless Sofia has a criminal record or something..

Sure it's that simple. It's their life and their decissions. If they want to get married they'll marry, if they don't want to get married they won't. They only need the kings permission if they and their kids want to stay in the line of succession but they don't need his permission to get married. It's no more the kings decission than ours. And if they don't get married and have kids out of succession line so what? It's also their decission. There are consequences for themselfes and their kids but that's all. No one can stop a marriage of those two if they really want it and no one can force them to marry if they don't want to. In the end it's simply their decission.

Sure it's that simple. It's their life and their decissions. If they want to get married they'll marry, if they don't want to get married they won't. They only need the kings permission if they and their kids want to stay in the line of succession but they don't need his permission to get married. It's no more the kings decission than ours. And if they don't get married and have kids out of succession line so what? It's also their decission. There are consequences for themselfes and their kids but that's all. No one can stop a marriage of those two if they really want it and no one can force them to marry if they don't want to. In the end it's simply their decission.

Can an person in line to a throne actually be selfish like that? Or is there a certain amount of "doing the right thing for the family" involved?
I mean: suppose both Estelle and Leonore stay "only child", then at some point the line to the swedish throne is going to be quite short, isn't it?
Doesn't CP have some sort of responsibility in this regard?

Can an person in line to a throne actually be selfish like that? Or is there a certain amount of "doing the right thing for the family" involved?

I mean: suppose both Estelle and Leonore stay "only child", then at some point the line to the swedish throne is going to be quite short, isn't it?

Edward VIII was king and he chose to do the "selfish" thing by abdicating his throne in order to marry a woman his government didn't approve of.

Many royals have in the past entered into marriages that have resulted in them being excluded from the line of succession. 3 of the King's sisters entered into unequal marriages causing them and their descendants to be removed from the succession, and his other sister converted to Catholicism, causing her and her to descendants to be removed. If CP were to marry without permission or to have children out of wedlock then he'd be no more selfish than his aunts.

Edward VIII was king and he chose to do the "selfish" thing by abdicating his throne in order to marry a woman his government didn't approve of.

Many royals have in the past entered into marriages that have resulted in them being excluded from the line of succession. 3 of the King's sisters entered into unequal marriages causing them and their descendants to be removed from the succession, and his other sister converted to Catholicism, causing her and her to descendants to be removed. If CP were to marry without permission or to have children out of wedlock then he'd be no more selfish than his aunts.

But they could only be selfish because someone else was willing to not be selfish and *did* think of the continuation of the reign...

Actually, all of CG's sisters married before he did, and only he married and had children in a way that continued the succession. In contrast, both of CP's sisters have already married and had children who are in the succession. If CP were to be "selfish" it would be less so than his aunts actions, as the succession is already ensured for the next generation (with both an heir and a spare), while when his aunts married there was no next generation (and of their aunts and uncles, only one had married equally, to the Crown Prince of Denmark, meaning that there was no previous generation fall-back).

It's a question of "if's".

If Estelle stays an only child and for whatever reason looses her place in line of succession there will still be Madeleine and after her Leonore or Leonores possible siblings.

If Estelle stays and only child, stay the heir, marries, have 1 - 5 children then it does'n matter at all if CPs and Ss kids are in line of succession or not.

Personally I don't think CP will do anything without his parents okay. No matter if it's an official permission or an "OK son, marry her if you want to, but I really can't give you my okay as king". I just wrote that theoretically CP doesn't need anyones okay but Sofias if he wants to marry her. The question if he really would do it against everyone and everything is another question. But theoretically he could do it.

Actually, all of CG's sisters married before he did, and only he married and had children in a way that continued the succession. In contrast, both of CP's sisters have already married and had children who are in the succession. If CP were to be "selfish" it would be less so than his aunts actions, as the succession is already ensured for the next generation (with both an heir and a spare), while when his aunts married there was no next generation (and of their aunts and uncles, only one had married equally, to the Crown Prince of Denmark, meaning that there was no previous generation fall-back).

Have CGs sister ever really been in line of succession? I'm not sure of it. Could have one of them become Queen if they married right but CG married wrong? If not it doesn't matter when or whom they married.

Last edited:
Have CGs sister ever really been in line of succession? I'm not sure of it. Could have one of them become Queen if they married right but CG married wrong? If not it doesn't matter when or whom they married.

Before 1979 Sweden had strictly agnatic succession line, male only. CGs sisters have never been in the succession as they are all born before 1979.

The Constitution were changed in 1979 and became cognatic, the first born child to the King, regardless of gender, is the heir to the thron.

The abnormal about the change is that Parliament gave the Law retroactive Power and changed the heir to the thron from Carl Philip to Victoria.

In other countries, the Law takes effect from the next generation.

Thanks. I know about the change and the switch of Victoria and Carl Philip as the heir. But I wasn't sure if there maybe was a rule that females could be the heir if there was no male heir present. Obviously not and in that case it doesn't matter what CGs sister did. Marrying a prince or a commoner wouldn't have made any change regarding the succession line.

Before 1979 Sweden had strictly agnatic succession line, male only. CGs sisters have never been in the succession as they are all born before 1979.

The Constitution were changed in 1979 and became cognatic, the first born child to the King, regardless of gender, is the heir to the thron.

The abnormal about the change is that Parliament gave the Law retroactive Power and changed the heir to the thron from Carl Philip to Victoria.

It was not so abnormal that the change of the succession law was retroactive. It was the same in Denmark; Margarethe was 14 or so, when the law was changed to allow her to became Queen. And I think the same is true for Luxembourg, when Princess Alexandra was included in the succession. I also heard that a change of succession rights was prepared in Great Britain in the 1980's. But then two Princes were born, and the matter didn't seem urgent anymore, as it would have changed nothing. But they probably would have changed the law if a girl had been born instead of William.

Back to Sophia: I think that it would be absolutely rediculous to deny her the Princess title after she was invited to private holidays with the King and Queen, and has been to all those important family events like weddings and christenings. If the King and Queen hadn't been ready to accept her, they wouldn't have let her attend any of these events. I am absolutely convinced that CP and their kids will stay in the line of succession in the case of a wedding with Sophia. (And the fact that I'm not fond of her doesn't matter all for them.)

Nearly every monarchy that has adopted gender-neutral succession has applied it to persons already born. In the Netherlands and Denmark, gender-neutral succession was implemented without any restriction. In Sweden, it affected all descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf; in Belgium, all descendants of Prince Albert (later King Albert II); and in Luxembourg, all descendants of Grand Duke Henri. Only in Norway was gender-neutral succession limited to persons born after the change.
his other sister converted to Catholicism,

Princess Birgitta agreed to raise her children as Catholics, but she herself never converted.

Nearly every monarchy that has adopted gender-neutral succession has applied it to persons already born. In the Netherlands and Denmark, gender-neutral succession was implemented without any restriction. In Sweden, it affected all descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf; in Belgium, all descendants of Prince Albert (later King Albert II); and in Luxembourg, all descendants of Grand Duke Henri. Only in Norway was gender-neutral succession limited to persons born after the change.

But in the Netherlands and Belgium it has no immediate Effect as the first in line of succession did not change this was only the case in Denmark in 1953. It could have been affoided uin Sweden if they had changed the law before the birth of Carl Philip.

But in the Netherlands and Belgium it has no immediate Effect as the first in line of succession did not change this was only the case in Denmark in 1953.

Yes, but the change applied to all in principle. In Belgium it had the immediate effect of replacing Prince Laurent with Princess Astrid as the successor to the then unmarried Prince Philippe.

It was not so abnormal that the change of the succession law was retroactive. It was the same in Denmark; Margarethe was 14 or so, when the law was changed to allow her to became Queen. And I think the same is true for Luxembourg, when Princess Alexandra was included in the succession. I also heard that a change of succession rights was prepared in Great Britain in the 1980's. But then two Princes were born, and the matter didn't seem urgent anymore, as it would have changed nothing. But they probably would have changed the law if a girl had been born instead of William.

Back to Sophia: I think that it would be absolutely rediculous to deny her the Princess title after she was invited to private holidays with the King and Queen, and has been to all those important family events like weddings and christenings. If the King and Queen hadn't been ready to accept her, they wouldn't have let her attend any of these events. I am absolutely convinced that CP and their kids will stay in the line of succession in the case of a wedding with Sophia. (And the fact that I'm not fond of her doesn't matter all for them.)

Under the law of succession, the King must ask for consent in a special Council of State (he's the only person who can do that), but consent itself is actually given by the Swedish government, not by the King. What if the current government doesn't think Sofia is a suitable bride ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom