Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have deleted several posts for being OT. Let's try not to see offence in each and every comment written about Sofia by other posters.

Not at all the case. Off the top of my head :
Charles and Diana Wednesday July 21,1981
Sarah and Andrew Monday March 17, 1986
Kate and William Friday April 29, 2011

Andrew and Sarah announced their engagement in Feb/March 1986, but the wedding took place the following Wednesday July 23rd, 1986.

One of the most beautiful British Royal weddings ever, imo.:)

Not at all the case. Off the top of my head :
Charles and Diana Wednesday July 21,1981
Sarah and Andrew Monday March 17, 1986
Kate and William Friday April 29, 2011

British royal weddings for the senior royals - the monarch, monarch's children and direct line grandchildren - are weekdays not weekends.

That is why I said "as far as I know". The British weddings are the exception then, the others have taken place on Saturdays. Which, IMO, is the most practical day.

That is why I said "as far as I know". The British weddings are the exception then, the others have taken place on Saturdays. Which, IMO, is the most practical day.

Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary got married on Friday 14th May 2004.

Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary got married on Friday 14th May 2004.

Well, okay then, by my knowledge most weddings are Saturday events. It is at least the day I have gotten used to for these occasions.

Last edited:
Recent Swedish Royal Wedding dates

The future Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden married Princess Margaret of Connaught on the 15th June 1905 and following her death he later married Lady Louise Mountbatten on the 3rd of November 1923

Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten married Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha on October 19th,1932

Ingrid of Sweden married the future Frederick IX of Denmark on the 24th of May 1935.

Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland married Lillian May Davies on the 7th of December 1976

Princess Margaretha married John Ambler on June 30th,1964

Princess Birgitta married Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern on the 25th of May 1961

Princess Désirée married Baron Nils-August Otto Carl Niclas Silfverschiöld on June 5th,1964.

Princess Christina married Tord Gösta Magnuson on June 15th,1974.

King Carl XVI Gustaf married Silvia Sommerlath on the 19th of June 1976.

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden married Daniel Westling on the 19th of June 2010

Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland married Christopher O'Neill on the 8th of June 2013

Well, okay then, by my knowledge most weddings are Saturday events. It is at least the day I have gotten used to for these occasions.
On the other hand, if it's a Friday, everyone gets a 3 day weekend!

Swedish Republican Association:
Since it is not a state event that the head of state's son marries the wedding should have got to be a private matter, but the court has chosen to make it as public as possible.
- The Royal Family does consciously their private events to public publicity stunts. It is a strategy to maintain the political power and the economic benefits they receive through the monarchy. For the glitter and glamour, they can increase their popularity and shift the focus from an important debate on the future form of government, says the president of the Republican Association, Mia Sydow Mölleby.
Kungliga bröllop är pr-jippon - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

Swedish Republican Association:
Since it is not a state event that the head of state's son marries the wedding should have got to be a private matter, but the court has chosen to make it as public as possible.
- The Royal Family does consciously their private events to public publicity stunts. It is a strategy to maintain the political power and the economic benefits they receive through the monarchy. For the glitter and glamour, they can increase their popularity and shift the focus from an important debate on the future form of government, says the president of the Republican Association, Mia Sydow Mölleby.
Kungliga bröllop är pr-jippon - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

They're supposed to say that, aren't they, or they wouldn't be a good "republican association" :)

Google can be a great friend in finding information, try it sometime. Not all weddings are on Saturdays.......even in Sweden.

Google can be a great friend in finding information, try it sometime. Not all weddings are on Saturdays.......even in Sweden.

I am well aware of Google and I could have looked the days up, but sometimes custom gets in the way of getting the facts straight.

Expressen has some official military documents regarding the wedding.
Yesterday the head of the commandant headquarters in Stockholm, Richard Beck-Friis, sent preparatory orders to the Armed Forces around Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist's wedding on 13 June. Among others, personal security division and head of security at the Royal Palace have received a copy sent to them.
The Royal Court and the couple themselves have not yet revealed any details about this summer's royal wedding, but the military documents, the so-called garrison order, from the commander-staff reveal a series of tasks.
Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist will after their wedding - just like the last two royal weddings - go at a cortege through Stockholm. The Royal Court and the Commandant Staff, however, are careful not now reveal the procession route - not even internally for those who will work along with the stretch that Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist going. The document says: "Cortege route is currently undisclosed information."
The wedding will be in an afternoon. There has been speculation that the Prince and Sofia Hellqvist would choose to have a lunch wedding, common in Europe, but in the garrison command writes Commandant Staff "Saturday, June 13, 2015 in the afternoon a wedding between His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip and Miss Sofia Hellqvist takes place in the Royal Chapel at the Royal Palace. ".
A salute with 21 shots will be shot on Skeppsholmen to celebrate the newly married couple. 1400 soldiers will be in the streets in central Stockholm. The Life Guards parade also at the Royal Palace in connection with the wedding ceremony.
Dokumenten avslöjar Sofias bröllopsplaner Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The press wrote earlier that Carl Philip's and Sofia's wedding will be more relaxed than CP's sisters weddings. But they seem to copy Victoria's wedding in a smaller scale. They are having the dinner in Vita Havet, Victoria and Daniel and the dance there. The difference to CP's sisters weddings is that there is no boat trip.
Victoria's and Daniel's wedding started at 3.30 p.m. and Madeleine's and Chris's at 4.00 p.m.

The Sweden dinners have been held in Vita Havet and there has been about 200 guests then. Photos from Sweden dinner last May with about 200 guests.
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010020011W14267665831831412
http://www.kungahuset.se/images/18....-DDMM-Svmiddag-02-Foto-Sören-Andersson-TT.jpg

Margareta Thorgren said to Aftonbladet about where the private dinner on Friday will be:
- It's a secret, the couple wants to have it so. It's a secret even for those guests who are invited.
The dinner is held at the Vita Havet. How many guests are invited to the dinner, the court doesn't want to answer.
- I can not answer that. This place has obviously been chosen for dinner by the number of guests, says Thorgren.
Hovet avslöjar Här går kortegen Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I assume that Vita Havet is a suitable location for a formal dinner. That doesn't mean that they are copying V&D's wedding.

I guess that CP&Sofia will have fewer guests. That also includes fewer foreign and royal guests. That doesn't mean that other royal houses are boycotting the wedding, as I've seen suggested in other places. I just think that CP has had much less personal contact with other royal families than his sisters. The exception are the other Scandinavian royal familes, since they are quite closely related, and CP and his sisters are roughly the same age as their generation counterparts in Norway and Denmark.

So yes, there will be royalties and tiaras and bang for the bucks, but in a smaller scale, and presumably with a bigger guest category of personal friends.

Wasn't the ball room also where the King and Queen held their wedding dinner?

The White Sea has been used as dining room for state event at several times during the King's reign. Some examples:

King and Queens wedding luncheon,
The King's 60th Birthday Gala Dinner,
The Sweden Dinners (since 2013), and Representation/Official Dinners (2007)
State Visits when Charles XI Gallery where renovated (in 2007 I think).

But it's not used as the primary setting for State Banquets.

Setting for an Official dinner:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/images/3097/1109179_1200_675.jpg?preset=article-slider

I think it's quite natural that Carl Philip and Sofia are choosing to do it their way and not copying his sisters weddings. Of course it's going to have resemblance to both weddings. Madeleine choose to have her wedding dinner at Drottningholm, the palace where she was born. Carl Philip choose the Palace he was born, The Royal Palace of Stockholm. I think it is nice nod to history actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
The White Sea has been used as dining room for state event at several times during the King's reign. Some examples:

King and Queens wedding luncheon,
The King's 60th Birthday Gala Dinner,
The Sweden Dinners (since 2013), and Representation/Official Dinners
State Visits when Charles XI Gallery where renovated (in 2007 I think).

But it's not used as the primary setting for State Banquets.

Setting for an Official dinner:
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/images/3097/1109179_1200_675.jpg?preset=article-slider

The official dinners (representationsmiddag) have been held at Karl XI's gallery for many years. The royal family welcomes the guests at the White Sea.

Last edited:
The official dinners (representationsmiddag) have been held at Karl XI's gallery for many years. The royal family welcomes the guests at the White Sea.

Yes but in 2007 they took place in Vita Havet, due to renovations of Charles XI Gallery. I'm very much aware of how they do things otherwise :ROFLMAO:

Looks like good plans i think. Looks like a lot will be the same as Madeleines wedding but without a boat trip and dinner at the Royal Palace in Stockholm instead of Drottningholm. The guest list will probably be similar too with all the scandinavian royals and the Finnish and Icelandic Presidential couples present + a few other non reigning royals related to the Bernadotte's (among them ofcourse Carl Philips godfather Prince Leopold of Bavaria with family) but most guests will be family and personal friends.

We have a great weekend in June to look forward too :)

Clocks go forward 1 hour on 29 March in the UK.

So I assume when its 4 pm in Sweden will be the same time in the UK.

Is there a LIVE TV CHANNEL to watch from the UK.

I am pleased it is a late 4 pm wedding as I can't be home till 3.30 pm.

I like Sofia and think she comes across as a warm genuinely friendly girl.

Clocks go forward 1 hour on 29 March in the UK.

So I assume when its 4 pm in Sweden will be the same time in the UK.

No, because also in Sweden the clocks go forward 1 hour.

:lol:

Looks like good plans i think. Looks like a lot will be the same as Madeleines wedding but without a boat trip and dinner at the Royal Palace in Stockholm instead of Drottningholm. The guest list will probably be similar too with all the scandinavian royals and the Finnish and Icelandic Presidential couples present + a few other non reigning royals related to the Bernadotte's (among them ofcourse Carl Philips godfather Prince Leopold of Bavaria with family) but most guests will be family and personal friends.

We have a great weekend in June to look forward too :)

Finland and Iceland were represented at Madeleine's wedding by their ambassadors, the presidents weren't attending. Queen Margrethe, prince Henrik, king Harald and queen Sonja didn't attend either.

I imagine that Queen Margrethe will attend as she is Carl Philip's godmother.

Finland and Iceland were represented at Madeleine's wedding by their ambassadors, the presidents weren't attending. Queen Margrethe, prince Henrik, king Harald and queen Sonja didn't attend either.

I know but i think they will be in attendance this time. What i meant was that all the scandinavian royals had huge representation. This wedding is of higher rank than Madeleines. QMII will defenitely be there as she is a godparent to the groom.

The monogram is on top three of the ugliest monograms I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom