The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

The design of the monogram is very artistic.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Serene Highness

Monogram is quite different but probably their modern taste. DoM, I agree

Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

The monogram just looks to busy and a bit confusing IMO.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Designers should have worked more on monogram.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The monogram is on top three of the ugliest monograms I have ever seen.
What are the other two?

This is a horrid monogram...it's too busy.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Nobility

I am not keen on the couple's monogram.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is this the official monogram of P.C-P himself?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Sweden.svg.png

if so, i can see what they tried to do with the S syllable, but C and P on their own are pretty much filling enough for one monogram, so i can imagine it wasn't easy to come up with a joint variety

For top 3 of worst monograms could i suggest the one of Edward (earl of Wessex) and wife Sophie as posted today in the royal cyphers (etc) thread... that one's not good (but at least it managed to let the letter S *not* like a snake )
http://40.media.tumblr.com/eca5cf68f...j5xxo1_400.jpg
(if this *is* their official one, then ouch...)
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Not a fan of this at all. As others have said, it's too busy and cluttered.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Is this the official monogram of P.C-P himself?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Sweden.svg.png

if so, i can see what they tried to do with the S syllable, but C and P on their own are pretty much filling enough for one monogram, so i can imagine it wasn't easy to come up with a joint variety
Yes that is Carl Philip's monogram. It is very easy to from where the inspiration for the new one comes.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Courtier

To be honest, I like the joint monogram. It doesn't look like snakes to me. It looks more like a bunch of flowers to me. I especially like how the S and the P flow together. This really makes them joint together.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
To be honest, I like the joint monogram. It doesn't look like snakes to me. It looks more like a bunch of flowers to me. I especially like how the S and the P flow together. This really makes them joint together.
I agree, it is a classic monogram. This is the interwined emblem of William III of Nassau, Prince of Orange and his spouse Mary II Stuart, both King and Queen of Great Britain.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

I think the new monogram is fine - keeping with traditional styling, there is little else one can do with C P and S intertwined.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with because they (whoever is in charge of the individual monograms – CG or the individual royals themselves?) inverted the letters rather than just making it one C and one P – if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking IMO) but it looks more finished, so to speak, than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more elegant than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with because they (whoever is in charge of the individual monograms CG or the individual royals themselves?) inverted the letters rather than just making it one C and one P if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking IMO) but it looks more finished, so to speak, than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more elegant than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?
The blue one posted above is a Wikipedia version, and not the official one. However the Royal Court uses the monograms in different colors, like, black, gold and blue.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I much prefer their joint monogram to CP's one. Yes, it's a bit more cluttered (but really though, CP's monogram was cluttered to begin with – if anything, adding the double S's has made it nicer looking) but it looks more finished and elegant than CP's does. I also think the fact that it's black makes me like it more. It looks way more stylish than CP's blue one. Is it supposed to be black? Or was that just for the announcement?
A monogram often is in a different colour (blue, red) to differentiate from the black used in a letter. There are also colourless ones: the Dutch Royal House uses paper with a colourless monogram pressed into it (relief). Expensive, but stylish.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The mirror imaging of the letters and the S style in their monogram can be found elsewhere in the family:
H.M. Queen Silvia - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
The crown may not be traditional - but it is from his monogram.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM
Courtier

All monograms of current members of the Swedish Royal Family

Kungafamiljens monogram - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
The blue one posted above is a Wikipedia version, and not the official one. However the Royal Court uses the monograms in different colors, like, black, gold and blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
A monogram often is in a different colour (blue, red) to differentiate from the black used in a letter. There are also colourless ones: the Dutch Royal House uses paper with a colourless monogram pressed into it (relief). Expensive, but stylish.
Thanks! (and also thanks, Kingen, for the link to all the monograms). I'm glad to hear that the blue is not standard because that did nothing good for CP's monogram

Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the joint monogram. It is "busy", but the designers can only work with what they are given, and CP having a double-barrelled name to start was going to set a challenge for them. I think they did it well. I like the way they've joined the "S" in to combine the initials into one monogram.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Majesty

I have to say I don't like the monogram: it is too much messy and you can barely distinguish the initials... Not particulary flattering IMO.

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding