Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC at the time it was said that Pss Madeleine wanted a relatively low-key wedding. This was represented in the guest list too. I doubt there is much difference in prominence between the position of the no. 3 and no. 4 in line.

That is true but if they really wanted a low key guest list they wouldn't have sent invitations to the Imperial court of Japan, my hypothesis is that they sent invitations to all the reigning courts, as one does for these sort of events, but no one for some reason or another, was available to represent Belgium, Spain and The Netherlands, whereas this time round the Belgian crown could be represented

Last edited:
Anything known whether Greek royals will attend and if yes who of them?

I wonder why he spent ten years with Emma, as he said this in an interview recently:
– Jag kanske inte har känt kärlekens magi innan Sofia, sa Carl Philip.
(I might have not felt the magic of love before Sofia). That makes him look like a user of women, to be with someone without having any true feelings for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why he spent ten years with Emma, as he said this in an interview recently:
(I might have not felt the magic of love before Sofia). That makes him look like a user of women, to be with someone without having any true feelings for her.

I don't know, he might have thought that what he felt was love, until he met Sofia and realised the true feelings

Perhaps he hadn't felt the feelings he feels for Sofia before he met her? I disagree that it makes him look like a womanizer – it is possible to be more in love with one person than with someone else, especially with the person you've chosen to marry. But I must say, I don't know that it was the most considerate thing for him to say because it does make it sound like he loved Emma less.

Last edited:
For me, it's obvious he loved Emma less, otherwise he would've married her.

As Prince Charles infamously said, "Whatever in love means". I think it means different things to different people, and at different stages in their lives, and it changes over time.

Lets face biological fact: that intense desire to be with the other person that humans feel at the beginning of a relationship has a lot to do with the drive to mate and breed, and when you're in the grip of that sort of lust, pure physical attraction can over-ride other factors that relate to long-term compatibility.

And there will undoubtedly be more than one person out there with whom each of us could have a happy long-term relationship as long as all the planets remain aligned and nothing intervenes to break you up. Many marriages end after 10 years, so maybe CP and Emma's relationship was just not strong enough to last longer. I'm fairly sure that if they spent 10 years together, each of them felt love for each other at some stage. It's just that all the factors that are required to bond a couple together for the long haul and the deeper commitment of marriage weren't present.

I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination does the fact he spent 10 years with one woman and didn't marry her, make him a user of women. At least not unless he was tomcatting around on the side during that relationship, and, if he was, I'm not aware of it.

I'm not at all surprised that a couple of weeks before his wedding, CP has made a comment about now finding true love with his bride. I'd actually be surprised if he didn't say something like that. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and rather endearing.

Last edited:
IMO that was a cheap shot at Emma, even if I think she doesn't care and has her family to mind... "he has experienced what true love is with Sofia"... well he had been in a relationship with Emma for ten years, not ten months... that meant nothing for him then? Sure, they both have moved on but ten years of life can't be reduced to a infatuation. I think Emma wouldn't talk of an important previous relationship as not true love like this... if you know what I mean

It would have been better if he had said that Sofia is his "soul mate" rather than "true love" then... No one would have noticed a snarky shot I think... It wouldnt have been read as a discredit of ex partners IMO.

I have to agree, Marty91charmed. :flowers: The comment popped out at me, too. Ten years is no flash-in-the-pan. Something about it speaks to many things, like a lack of gallantry, but maybe there is a need to placate his current flame? Possible.

Anyone consider that maybe Emma feels the same way about her husband and there really is no bad feeling there? She's remained close to his sister. They see each other. It may not have been a shot at her, might just be how things are, and that's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

One of the most hurtful things anyone can say after a relationship ends is " I never loved you anyway " IMO that's what he was saying. I don't care how long ago it was and that they have new partners is was a unkind comment he made. Perhaps made without thinking

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

About Carl Philip's media training: he has had an own PR-woman, Christina Saliba from PR-agency Mindmakers since the autumn 2013, when the scandal with his designs broke. Saliba trained Carl Philip to the interview to the press after that. And Saliba has been greatly praised about how much Carl Philip's public speeches have become better after Saliba was hired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't feel Carl-Philip's comment was necessary. There are a hundred different ways he could have verbalized his love for his fiancée without making a comment that any intelligent person would realize could be construed as a swipe at his ex.

He shared a not insignificant and well publicized DECADE of his life with this young woman. My first thought was that he sounds like a spiteful cad, and that it was at least a subconscious effort to reassure an insecure Sofia.

If Emma had given an interview in which she rhapsodized about her husband by mentioning ...let's say...finally having a partner whom she can relate to on her own intellectual level, many people would take the same dim view.:sad:

Last edited:
He was with Emma for ten years. They split. A year later he met Sofia and they have been together five years. That's what happens in life. People move on.

From the "People" report of the interview:

"Carl Philip, 36, and Sofia, 30, met through friends at a lunch in 2009, and it must have been a very memorable meal because the future princess, who was a finalist on the reality-TV show Paradise Hotel in 2005, called the meeting "love at first sight."

"The first thing I noticed about Carl Philip was that he seemed very humble," Sofia said. "When I got to know him, I saw that he was incredibly natural, very intelligent and very humble."

"Carl Philip echoed his fiancée's sentiments, saying, 'Above all, she's beautiful and has beautiful eyes. But she's also a fantastic person. She's down to earth and has a wonderful personality. There are so many good things to say about her.'"

"The prince, who ended a 10-year relationship with PR executive Emma Pernald a year before meeting the former reality-TV star, added, "I don't think I knew the magic of love before I met Sofia. But ever since I met her, I've seen how love can change a person."

"I completely agree," Sofia chimed in. "Carl Philip is definitely the right person for me. He's my best friend."

I think what they said is rather sweet and his comment was a perfectly natural thing to say about the woman he is about to marry. They are the flavour of the month and they should be enjoying every minute of it.

I think people are trying to stir up trouble by even asking Emma and publishing what she says. It's not fair to put her on the spot like that.

Posts regarding the Swedish succession have been moved here.

Posts about the prince's remarks on Emma Pernald have been moved from various threads to this one. Due to the merge some posts have been deleted as they appeared to be repetative.

Several posts are still under review. Since we are so close to the wedding it is however better to leave this thread open in the mean time.

And again a reminder: please do NOT attack each other or 'other people', 'some people', 'a group of posters' etc. If you are offended by a post please use the REPORT button or send a PM to the Swedish moderators.

Thank you

Last edited:
Anyone consider that maybe Emma feels the same way about her husband and there really is no bad feeling there? She's remained close to his sister. They see each other. It may not have been a shot at her, might just be how things are, and that's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That is partly what I mean.

He was with Emma for ten years. They split. A year later he met Sofia and they have been together five years. That's what happens in life. People move on.

From the "People" report of the interview:

"Carl Philip, 36, and Sofia, 30, met through friends at a lunch in 2009, and it must have been a very memorable meal because the future princess, who was a finalist on the reality-TV show Paradise Hotel in 2005, called the meeting "love at first sight."

"The first thing I noticed about Carl Philip was that he seemed very humble," Sofia said. "When I got to know him, I saw that he was incredibly natural, very intelligent and very humble."

"Carl Philip echoed his fiancée's sentiments, saying, 'Above all, she's beautiful and has beautiful eyes. But she's also a fantastic person. She's down to earth and has a wonderful personality. There are so many good things to say about her.'"

"The prince, who ended a 10-year relationship with PR executive Emma Pernald a year before meeting the former reality-TV star, added, "I don't think I knew the magic of love before I met Sofia. But ever since I met her, I've seen how love can change a person."

"I completely agree," Sofia chimed in. "Carl Philip is definitely the right person for me. He's my best friend."

I think what they said is rather sweet and his comment was a perfectly natural thing to say about the woman he is about to marry. They are the flavour of the month and they should be enjoying every minute of it.

I think people are trying to stir up trouble by even asking Emma and publishing what she says. It's not fair to put her on the spot like that.

Wow, I totally agree.

I just don't feel Carl-Philip's comment was necessary. There are a hundred different ways he could have verbalized his love for his fiancée without making a comment that any intelligent person would realize could be construed as a swipe at his ex.

He shared a not insignificant and well publicized DECADE of his life with this young woman. My first thought was that he sounds like a spiteful cad, and that it was at least a subconscious effort to reassure an insecure Sofia.

If Emma had given an interview in which she rhapsodized about husband by mentioning ...let's say...finally having a partner whom she can relate to on her own intellectual level, many people would take the same dim view.:sad:

I totally agree with your comment, it was unnecessary for Carl Philip to say such thing. Are all these things ( the interviews and new photos each week of the happy couple) to show their true love or help the image of their relationship and marriage?

I think this is having a negative effect, at least for me, I've seen the couples around me who talk less about their personal lives and relationships are much more successful and happier.

I agree with Skippy and Roslyn. Yes, Carl Philip and Emma were in a relationship for 10 years. The decision to split was mutual, and they have remained on friendly terms. We have no reason to believe otherwise.

I think that CP was simply trying to express how his feelings for Sofia and their relationship is special, that she is the one. It came out as something you can interpret the wrong way if you want to, and if you're on Team Emma. It was wrong to look her up and more or less force her to comment.

I am stunned that a seemingly innocent desire to explain why his relationship with Sofia was so special, different from the moment they met, has turned into an all out attack on his reputation, his decency and his integrity. To go by some of the comments here, Carl Philip is totally, morally bankrupt.

There are many types of love, are we saying that a widow/widower who remarries and tries to explain they have fallen blissfully in love, "never felt like this before", is shallow, hurtful to the surviving family and cannot possibly have loved their first wife/husband? Of course not, but what comes through clearly here is that when you say something nice about the person you are with, it automatically means that the person you were with was lacking.

Logic shows us that there really are many differing types of love and that one does not take away from another, rather it grows exponentially. Love multiplies, not subtracts. This is clearly a concept that seems to elude many.

I totally agree with your comment, it was unnecessary for Carl Philip to say such thing. Are all these things ( the interviews and new photos each week of the happy couple) to show their true love or help the image of their relationship and marriage?

I think this is having a negative effect, at least for me, I've seen the couples around me who talk less about their personal lives and relationships are much more successful and happier.

I don't find it even a little bit strange that the couple are appearing in media right now. Their wedding is just 10 days away, and this is their time to shine.

Daniel and Victoria also did lots of interviews before their wedding. Chris and Madeleine declined all interviews, so the media buzz about them was a little bit smaller - at their own wish. And now, looking in the back mirror, we know that perhaps it would have helped them to give at least one interview.

All signs point towards that Carl Philip and Sofia will become part time (or full time) working members of the Royal house, while Madeleine and Chris wants to withdraw from the spotlight. It would be a stupid media approach in this situation to not take advantage of the free great PR.

It was not very well planned by the court that many of these interviews were published/aired just in the same time of the state visit. The state visit didn't get the attention it deserved. There aren't many state visits in a year in Sweden, some years none. They could have published the interviews today. And Carl Philip's statement made the situation even worse according to the media attention.

It was not very well planned by the court that many of these interviews were published/aired just in the same time of the state visit. The state visit didn't get the attention it deserved. There aren't many state visits in a year in Sweden, some years none. They could have published the interviews today. And Carl Philip's statement made the situation even worse according to the media attention.

I don't have many positive words to spare when it comes to the Swedish courts media department. But it's not the court that decides when the media publishes/broadcasts the interviews. And they can't be blamed for the ridiculously large attention that's been given to a statement which is blown totally out of proportion.

I have to agree, Marty91charmed. :flowers: The comment popped out at me, too. Ten years is no flash-in-the-pan. Something about it speaks to many things, like a lack of gallantry, but maybe there is a need to placate his current flame? Possible.

That is a thought that has crossed my mind many times LadyNimue...;)

I think there might be some jealousy behind the scenes. (even though I don't see the reason to be jealous of Emma, especially now).

Of course it is only my opinion but it's not the first time I read something of this kind...:flowers:

I don't have many positive words to spare when it comes to the Swedish courts media department. But it's not the court that decides when the media publishes/broadcasts the interviews. And they can't be blamed for the ridiculously large attention that's been given to a statement which is blown totally out of proportion.

I'm quite sure that if the court would say to some newspaper that Carl Philip and Sofia will give an interview, if it is published on day x, the newspaper would agree with that. And the same with the TV.
Maybe they should have done the same than Victoria and Daniel that not all the interviews would have come so close together and close to the wedding. Victoria's and Daniel's press interviews were published in mid-May, the interview on TV4 was aired in mid-May and only the SVT documentary was broadcasted in June.

Last edited:
People just need to move on. The past is in the past.

I'm quite sure that if the court would say to some newspaper that Carl Philip and Sofia will give an interview, if it is published on day x, the newspaper would agree with that. And the same with the TV.
Maybe they should have done the same than Victoria and Daniel that not all the interviews would have come so close together and close to the wedding. Victoria's and Daniel's press interviews were published in mid-May, the interview on TV4 was aired in mid-May and only the SVT documentary was broadcasted in June.

And why would they even try to control things like this? It's not like the press department knows better than the rest of the media when it's the best time to publish interviews. Their call.

If the role of the royal press department is really as passive as you think it is, they should all be fired on the spot. Of course they can and do control certain things. They can say 'no' to an interview request (probably did so to many of them) or they can say 'yes, but only publish it after ...' . If they are really lame ducks what is the use of having them around?

Having that said, I do not see a problem with the interview coinsiding with the state visit. It is a tactic that is sometimes actually used in PR. People who will read/see an interview may more easily be tempted to read/ look at a (linked) piece that is about the state visit and vice versa, thus generating more interest for both topics.

I think the press department is doing a lousy job, so I wouldn't mind at all if they fired all of them and hired some competent staff. So we sort of agree on that one :)

Yes, time to draw a line under this.

The past is another country, and we are all strangers there!

I want to see a picture of the WEDDING CAKE!
Sofia makes him happy, and I think she is rather a gentle creature, kind and considerate. I hope they don't go after her (the press), after she becomes a Princess! Princess Margaret, (UK), could never do right for doing wrong, and the years took their toll!

Of course this is much a do about nothing! He was trying to say something nice, what he said was a bit awkward but let's face it, if he had loved the other one he would have married her. Going with someone for that many years means you don't know how to get out of it because everyone else likes it imo

One of the most hurtful things anyone can say after a relationship ends is " I never loved you anyway " IMO that's what he was saying. I don't care how long ago it was and that they have new partners it was a unkind comment he made. Perhaps made without thinking.[/B

Agree. :sad:

That is a thought that has crossed my mind many times LadyNimue...;)

I think there might be some jealousy behind the scenes. (even though I don't see the reason to be jealous of Emma, especially now).

Of course it is only my opinion but it's not the first time I read something of this kind...:flowers:

I agree with everyone who has alluded to such: that it is Carl Philip attempting to allay an insecure Sofia. Poor girl if it's true. Oh well. It's so clear Sofia is trying hard to fit into the conservative royal mold. It's good she has Carl Philip's understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom