Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A short clip of the first part of the interview/document from TV4. Carl Philip says "I may not have known the magic of love before I met Sofia, but then I met Sofia, I really feel how it can transform a person".
Prins Carl Philip: "Känner kärlekens magi nu när jag träffat Sofia" - TV4 Play

That wasn't perhaps very nice towards to Emma Pernald, with whom Carl Philip was for 10 years.

Not everyone is just sugar towards the wedding and happy couple.
Jan-Olov Andersson writes at his chronicle in Aftonbladet:
Interview with Carl Philip and Sofia was a disaster
My God, how soapy TV 4's interview with Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist was!
It is half an hour long. Feels like a more reasonable length, given how little reasonable was said in Tilde de Paula Eby's meeting with the couple. Now it was history, elements of Sofia's (most deserving) work with children and young people in South Africa and then a little about the prince's dyslexia. All to be able to add to it a publicity hour positive TV. And still 45 minutes to, next Monday ...
The interview was the verge of disaster.
Didn't the (typically professional) Tilde de Paula Eby want or wasn't she allowed to ask follow-up questions? Why it wasn't jumped to the things that had made the couple more human? His racing dreams that often end in crashes and broken race. Her past as a glamour model and "Paradise Hotel" committers.
Now during the full interview it felt that the couple little stiffly played themselves, following the screenplay made by the court's press department.
- I may not have known love magic before Sofia, said Carl Philip.
If I were Emma Pernald, who was with him for ten years, I would clench the bastard next time I met him.
Intervjun med Carl Philip och Sofia var katastrof _ Jan-Olov Andersson _ Krönikörer _ Nöjesbladet _ Aftonbladet

Bunte writes also about what Carl Philip said about the magic of love.
Carl Philip von Schweden_ Fieser Seitenhieb auf seine Ex! _ BUNTE.de

Unfortunately at the moment, the interview/documentary can be seen only in Sweden. I recorded it to my digibox and watch it later.
Prins Carl Philip och Sofia del 1 - TV4 Play

Last edited:
Well, they obviously weren't each others 'true love' (whatever that is) as they both moved on and found hapiness elsewhere. I doubt that Emma is upset, she seems to have a nice family of her own and I am sure she is enjoying her life as it is.

I wonder why that Jan-Olof Andersson chooses to see Carl Philip's statement of what he feels as dissing Emma. I doubt very much that Emma cares, both she and Carl Philip have moved on to partners who suit them better.
What I see is that the years with Emma have shaped him into the man he is today, ready for marriage with his true love.

IMO that was a cheap shot at Emma, even if I think she doesn't care and has her family to mind... "he has experienced what true love is with Sofia"... well he had been in a relationship with Emma for ten years, not ten months... that meant nothing for him then? Sure, they both have moved on but ten years of life can't be reduced to a infatuation. I think Emma wouldn't talk of an important previous relationship as not true love like this... if you know what I mean

I'm convinced he didn't mean that the relationship with Emma meant nothing or was only an 'infatuation' - it was just another kind of relationship than the one he has with Sofia. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand. Besides, lengths don't say anything about the content of things.
But it is as usual with this couple - they just can't win with some people so it's the well-known making a mountain out of a molehill.

I guess that for some people he would have to explain in detail how his relationship with Emma went and where and how exactly it went wrong if those people wanted to accept that the relationship has been over for years now. Emma won't be his wife, she is better suited with someone else. Sofia will be his wife, he is better suited with her.

Last edited:
Well, they obviously weren't each others 'true love' (whatever that is) as they both moved on and found hapiness elsewhere. I doubt that Emma is upset, she seems to have a nice family of her own and I am sure she is enjoying her life as it is.

I totally agree.

:previous: I'm convinced he didn't mean that the relationship with Emma meant nothing or was only an 'infatuation' (which is really only interpretation) - it was just another kind of relationship than the one he has with Sofia. I don't see why that is so difficult to understand. Besides, lengths don't say anything about the content of things.
But it is as usual with this couple - they just can't win with some people so it's the well-known making a mountain out of a molehill.

It would have been better if he had said that Sofia is his "soul mate" rather than "true love" then... No one would have noticed a snarky shot I think... It wouldnt have been read as a discredit of ex partners IMO.

i don't know where exactly to post this so mods feel free to move the post in another thread:

I didn't expect Emma to speak on this but I guess it was her right.
(Classy and diplomatic answer IMO)

Emma Pernald interviewed in Aftonbladet about Carl Philips opinion that he never felt true love before:

http://www.aftonbladet.se...llopet/article20896313.ab

"In an exclusive interview for Aftonbladet Emma wants to have her say about the prince's comment. She underlines that she is neither angry or bitter and that she today is more happy than ever. But she did do a jump (studsade till) when she heard what the prince had said. - It was odd to hear that. I felt love the years we shared together, says Emma Pernald.
---
Emma Pernald has read the comments about the article (Jan Olof Anderssons article about the interview) and says that she doesn't have to take Jan Olof on his word, and then laughs".

Prince's statement in the interview, which aired on Monday night, has attracted attention both in Sweden and abroad.
The cause of the resurrection?
For ten years Carl Philip was together with Emma Pernald.
After the breakup with the prince in 2009, she has gone on to a new relationship. Today she works as a project manager at the advertising agency McCann but is now on maternity leave. Earlier this year she gave birth to her and husband Tomas Jonson's second child.
Emma Pernald chose to give her views exclusively to Aftonbladet on the prince's comment. She would like to emphasize that she is not angry or bitter, and today she is happier than ever.
But she bounced anyway when she heard what the prince had said.
- It was strange to hear. I felt love on the ten years we shared, says Emma Pernald.
German Bunte criticizes the prince's comment and writes that it was not very gallant. Aftonbladet's Jan-Olov Andersson was also very critical in his chronicle.
Emma Pernald has taken note of the reactions that flowed in after the TV4 interview.
- But I may not need to take your columnist on words, she laughs.
Emma Pernald_ Märkligt att höra _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Bravo Emma, well handled, like always.

Tilde de Paula Eby's selfie from the making of the interview.
https://instagram.com/p/3YwXpVIjgA/?taken-by=tildedepaula

Last edited:
:previous: Just posted the same interview on the general news thread LadyFinn:flowers:

It seems it's not just a bunch of posters who caused a storm in a teapot:whistling:

Thanks for the follow-up, Marty and LF. I moved Marty's post here to keep things central.

I would say that the best way to handle the press is not to reply at all and to put the phone down. But all considering the answers could be worse. She seems to be a gracious woman.

On a different note: let's try to stop referring to each other as 'some people' 'a bunch of posters' and such. It isn't very good for the atmosphere in this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the follow-up, Marty and LF. I moved Marty's post here to keep things central.

On a different note: let's try to stop referring to each other as 'some people' 'a bunch of posters' and such. It isn't very good for the atmosphere in this thread.

I am sorry I didn't mean is as an offence... I wanted to say: some poster members". My mistake:flowers:

I suppose even Emma Pernald could learn to recognize nuances and apply them. There are different kinds of relationships and his relationship with Sofia has transformed him - but that doesn't mean that he did not feel love for Emma when they were together. I think it is rather sad for her if she interpreted it that way. And the press loves this kind of stuff and blows it up into a big extravaganza.

I don't think Emma has to answer at all. She has a wonderful family and this only she must have important for her.

:previous: Just posted the same interview on the general news thread LadyFinn:flowers:

It seems it's not just a bunch of posters who caused a storm in a teapot:whistling:

No, it is a bunch of greedy gossip magazine editors who want to create a storm in a teacup to sell more issues.

Last edited:
What a disaster!

Haven't seen this posted yet:

13.06.2015 Kongelig bryllup
H.M. Dronningen, DD.KK.HH. Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen, Prinsesse Märtha Louise og Ari Behn er til stede ved feiringen av bryllupet mellom H.K.H. Prins Carl Philip av Sverige og Sofia Hellqvist.

Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit, and Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn will attend the wedding from Norway.

From the calendar on Kongehuset.no

No, it is a bunch of greedy gossip magazine editors who want to create a storm in a teacup to sell more issues.

What di you expect? The can't have press always praising them... really

And what I meant is that I wasn't (and few others) the only one to notice CP's remark as odd...

Last edited:

There is a huge amount of very negative comments in various articles and forums about the interview and especially regarding Carl Philip's comment on love. Everyone thought at once about Emma and the ten years she spent with Carl Philip. And are angry because of her. It is not strange at all that the magazines are calling to Emma for a comment. Of course they make a story about something that has made people react.
Maybe Carl Philip didn't think before he answered, but he is 36 years old and should have learned that a royal must think about everything he says. And Emma is one of Madeleine's closest friends...

Excactly what i feel. Prince Carl-Phillip is (as his father is) quite famous to speak before he thinks so i doubt anyone is really surprised. I also reacted and felt that his words was quite insensitive but it is really a storm in a Tea cup that will only give "new fire" to those who loved Emma and don't like Sofia.
And Aftonbladet is our most "Pro Republic" newspaper so that they would do something to "help" the royal family is totally out of the question.

Now let's celebrate the wedding.

Last edited:
All this defending of Emma... "But she was his girlfriend for 10 years, how could he say something like this?" He DID NOT diss her and did not mean that he never loved her, he only meant that his relationship with Sofia is from a different kind. He stated what he feels and those who react angry choose to see it as a stab at Emma. Because they feel the need to defend the poor Emma Pernald, who is apparently a saint. I suppose by saying what she did (even though she could learn to use and apply nuances, like I said before) she shows more maturity than the people that caused the uproar.
And I don't see the use of mentioning her friendship with Madeleine at all, as if that will be damaged by this. Unnecessary IMO.

By the way - I have never seen a post from someone who likes both Emma and Sofia. I guess that would be a crime.
I see very well what Carl Philip sees in Sofia and vice versa and I'm happy that they will be TRH's in two weeks time. And with that I second Hans-Rickard's statement - celebrate the wedding.

On the guests note: it's very nice that Norway sends such a large delegation. I always like seeing Princess Märtha Louise and it's also nice that her husband comes along.

All this defending of Emma... "But she was his girlfriend for 10 years, how could he say something like this?" He DID NOT diss her and did not mean that he never loved her, he only meant that his relationship with Sofia is from a different kind. He stated what he feels and those who react angry choose to see it as a stab at Emma. Because they feel the need to defend the poor Emma Pernald, who is apparently a saint. I suppose by saying what she did (even though she could learn to use and apply nuances, like I said before) she shows more maturity than the people that caused the uproar.
And I don't see the use of mentioning her friendship with Madeleine at all, as if that will be damaged by this. Unnecessary IMO.

By the way - I have never seen a post from someone who likes both Emma and Sofia. I guess that would be a crime.
I see very well what Carl Philip sees in Sofia and vice versa and I'm happy that they will be TRH's in two weeks time. And with that I second Hans-Rickard's statement - celebrate the wedding.

On the guests note: it's very nice that Norway sends such a large delegation. I always like seeing Princess Märtha Louise and it's also nice that her husband comes along.

I don't know if this is aiming also at me but I will try to reply:
It's not like we all are here defending Emma. I speak for myself but after months of praising them it's a bit a relief to see that the press and people commenting the article can move a little bit of critisicm for a statement that he reported... And I am sure that if he had formulated the statement better maybe this "uproar" wouldn't have come... I never said Emma was a saint, never. Only that she had the right to reply IMO and let's be fair: you would have done the same thing if it had been Sofia... You say that who likes Emma doesn't like Sofia, but it seems that applies to you too, am I mistaken?;) And why is that one feels alway the need to rush and defend the couple in every tiny circumstance of critic? When the couple is praised by the press and their fairytale campaign is sold again and again it seems just fine:whistling:.

I guess Emma's response was very balanced and moderated as she herself admitted she has no hard feelings and she couldn't care one bit. But the press wanted a reply and she did good IMO. For once the public can hear a different opinion and not only CP and Sofia's point of view...

If your post wasn't direct to me, I'll apologize...:flowers:

I like them all. I have met both Prince Carl Philip and Emma Pernald (though separately) in person and his relationship with Sofia hasn't done me any harm. Though i guess i am quite uninteresting then.

As i said the Prince (as his father) isn't very well media trained and from time to time speaks out loud before he think. Most swedes knows that and don't care at all. And most royal families have their member who does that.
This is not helped that most newspapers in Sweden is "Pro republic" especially Aftonbladet and wouldn't do anything at all to boost the image of the royals.

When Saturday 13:th June is here and Sofia comes walking up to the altar in a magnificent bridal gown and a nice tiara at her head, this storm in a teacup will be long forgotten.

Last edited:
Don't sell yourself short, HR ;).

Out of curiosity: how can the prince and his father not be very media trained? The court must be able to provide such training. If they never received any training that would be rather curious, considering their position. Or perhaps they did receive training but are still not very good at the topic. Not everybody is a natural in these things. But in that case it must be an option to limit the amount of press-talks, as happens with other royals abroad.

My doubts about this the wedding I have repeated on various occassions and did not change and probably never will, but this particular issue seems to be blown out of proportion. How can one blame a groom for saying that he found love with his future wife? If anything, I suppose you can blame him for being cheesy and kitch-romantic but well... even that is normal so shortly before the wedding.

Anyway, it will blow over indeed, most likely in a day or so, when the press has found another reason to bash Pss Madeleine for marrying a foreigner.

Last edited:
Haha ;)

When the King was a young Crown Prince / King the media atmosphere was an another than what it is today. In the court under Gustaf VI Adolfs leadership it was expected of you that you should simply be able to handle the media as they had the deepest respect for you. It may sound like bull**** today but back then you was expected to just "have it in your blood" simply because of your position.

Well everyone back then hadn't the deepest respect but it was a totally different media atmosphere then than it is today. Carl-Gustaf have always been nervous, shy and reluctant to be King even though he has known it since birth that he would be and from the age of 1 that he would be very early in his life. His dyslexia didn't help him either and the understanding of dyslexia wasn't exactly great during his youth and you didn't got the help you needed (even though his father and many elder ancestors also suffered).

The thruth is that Carl-Philip and Madeleine haven't got the same education and preparation as Victoria even though the court has told from their childhood that they would get if something would happen to Victoria.

As you said Marengo this will be blown over in a couple of days when the press has "returned to" bash Madeleine and Chris for something they have done or haven't done.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this posted yet:

Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit, and Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn will attend the wedding from Norway.

From the calendar on Kongehuset.no

I had guessed that Haakon & MM, and ML and Ari would attend. But im surprised the queen is going as well.
Who can resist a good party :flowers:

I had guessed that Haakon & MM, and ML and Ari would attend. But im surprised the queen is going as well.
Who can resist a good party :flowers:

It is odd that both Queen Sonja and Queen Mathilde will attend (without their respectives husbands) when neither Sonja nor (at that time) Paola attended Madeleine's wedding. It may be just a coincidence, but it seems to highlight CP's prominent position within the Swedish royal house compared to Madeleine's.

I wonder now if there will be any Spanish royal attendance also, although I'm not expecting it.

IIRC at the time it was said that Pss Madeleine wanted a relatively low-key wedding. This was represented in the guest list too. I doubt there is much difference in prominence between the position of the no. 3 and no. 4 in line.

IIRC at the time it was said that Pss Madeleine wanted a relatively low-key wedding. This was represented in the guest list too. I doubt there is much difference in prominence between the position of the no. 3 and no. 4 in line.

Madeleine will move further down the line if CP has any children, but I guess the point is not so much that CP is # 3 and Madeleine is # 4, but rather that CP was born the Crown Prince of Sweden (before that title was taken away from him) and is still the most senior agnate in the Bernadotte dynasty after his father. In fact, he will be technically the head of the family when his father passes away, even if Victoria becomes the monarch instead.

Incidentally, taking about the difference between being # 3 and #4, Prince Andrew's and Prince Edward's weddings come to my mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom