General News about Prince Carl Philip & Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: July 2014-June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the interview with Carl Philip last week, and I had some mixed impressions.

On the more negative side: he still has the "spoiled brat"- expression now and then. Among other things, he talked about how hard it was for him when David Hellenius and the rest of the gang in "Hey Baberiba" made fun of him and his family a couple of years ago. Come on, Carl Philip. I watched those as well, and most of them were actually quite funny. I think it's very important when you are a public person to have a healthy amount of self distance. I'm also not too sure about he described his familys attitude towards Sofia in the beginning. Yes, I think that she's accepted and welcomed by them now, but I also think that it was a rocky road from now to then.

On the positive side, Carl Philip was way more articulate and comfortable in the spotlight than I could ever imagined. I think that most people had an impression of him as being quite shy. A guy who like his father enjoys the forest, agriculture and the countryside - not cutting ribbons and make public speaches. So yes, I'm positively surprised here.

Talking about his dyslexia and what that means - both when he was younger and now - was also a good move, in several ways. The clip from last years and this years Sports gala showed a Prince who struggles, but doesn't give up. Good on him!

And the perhaps most important things: People that usually don't care about the royal family, or even dislike them, have talked about how much they liked Carl Philips appearence on TV. There's a positive buzz surrounding them at the moment, thanks to the (until now) least known member of the family. Good PR for Carl Philip, but generally good PR for the royal family.

Thank you for posting your impressions, xenobia. :flowers: I am glad to hear what you have posted in the last paragraph.

Well done, then, Carl Philip. :)

Last edited:
Regardless of whether CP should have made those comments or not and whether said comments are correct or not, you can hardly say that feeling bullied by the press is a "personal" issue.

Anyway, is the interview big in Sweden? Or has the Russian submarine stolen CP's thunder?

I would generally agree that CP is bordering on whining with this one. But then again, I generally just take issue with privileged people whining about how they have such difficult lives. I do see what CP means, the heated debate about Sofia on these forums confirms that there does exist this prejudice against her, but I am not Swedish, nor do I read Swedish newspapers or gossip magazines, so I wouldn't know if she's been bullied by the actual press.

Anyway, is the interview big in Sweden? Or has the Russian submarine stolen CP's thunder?

The interview was the talk of the weekend and CP got a lot of positive response to it. For many swedes it was the first time he became a person of his own and not just a handsome guy with dyslexia that occasionally crashes race cars.
To me it seems that the part about Sofia being bullied by media is much bigger here in the forums than in Sweden.
The biggest news after the weekend have quite correctly been Russian submarines, the new government and its budget and a tragic murder of an eight year old girl earlier this year by some relatives.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The interview was the talk of the weekend and CP got a lot of positive response to it. For many swedes it was the first time he became a person of his own and not just a handsome guy with dyslexia that occasionally crashes race cars.

Good to know. Sounds like it was a good thing, then. :flowers:

To me it seems that the part about Sofia being bullied by media is much bigger here in the forums than in Sweden.

But I thought Sofia was not being bullied by the media? I'm confused. :sad:

Last edited:
:previous:I also was under the impression that SH was not bullied by the media, they seem to have treated her with kid gloves and she has gone out of her way to talk to them which of course they love...........so why would CPC think she was bullied? It's only been on the royal sites that she isn't the most respected future royal bride to be that she is not received with kid gloves...........would anyone in her family, friends or whomever be on these sites keeping track of what is being said..........question!:)

There has been a lot of articles in the gossip magazines, blogs and also the two big evening papers.
Enough apparently for the pair to feel she was bullied. We can agree or disagree about this being the case but who are we to say how she should feel about it. For some persons in the public eye things like this is like water on a ducks back while for others it's a personal disaster.

There has been a lot of articles in the gossip magazines, blogs and also the two big evening papers.
Enough apparently for the pair to feel she was bullied. We can agree or disagree about this being the case but who are we to say how she should feel about it. For some persons in the public eye things like this is like water on a ducks back while for others it's a personal disaster.

True. There has been some negative press surrounding her, but generally the media has been really nice to her. I wouldn't say that media has given her a harder time than Daniel. Actually I would say quite the opposite.

:previous:
The media ripped Daniel apart like he was dirt under their feet, that he wasn't good enough for their crown princess and even KCG wasn't thrilled to have Daniel in the family.........now KGC can eat his words and so can the media, Daniel was a hard working business man in his own right before he married Victoria, the media from all that I have read has been very nice to SH and for that she has talked to them thinking maybe they are her friends, the media is friends of nobody unless you have something to sell them or say to them, they are all about making a story to make money..........period. SH should count her blessings for the way she has been treated by the media for they will turn on her in a heart beat.......lesson she really needs to learn...now!

:previous:
The media ripped Daniel apart like he was dirt under their feet, that he wasn't good enough for their crown princess and even KCG wasn't thrilled to have Daniel in the family.........now KGC can eat his words and so can the media, Daniel was a hard working business man in his own right before he married Victoria, the media from all that I have read has been very nice to SH and for that she has talked to them thinking maybe they are her friends, the media is friends of nobody unless you have something to sell them or say to them, they are all about making a story to make money..........period. SH should count her blessings for the way she has been treated by the media for they will turn on her in a heart beat.......lesson she really needs to learn...now!

Have you ever thought that maybe she knows that already? She isn't dumb, even thoug a lot of people think her to be. Maybe she feeds the press on purpous, because she doesn't want them to rip her apart like they do with her future sister-in-law. You know, always feed the dog a little snack so it will like you instead of bite you.

Have you ever thought that maybe she knows that already? She isn't dumb, even thoug a lot of people think her to be. Maybe she feeds the press on purpous, because she doesn't want them to rip her apart like they do with her future sister-in-law. You know, always feed the dog a little snack so it will like you instead of bite you.

Well said. She doesn't need external teachers, the only relevant people are the people at the court.
Furthermore, Carl Philip has only expressed how he feels, he has a right to that and no one has the right to judge him for his feelings. I assume we wouldn't like to be judged for (expressing) how we feel either.

Last edited:
In all the times that I have been on royal sites, the one thing I did learn is that the royals do *not* talk to the press/media at all unless it's things like how is the weather, how are you, this is a nice event, etc. Why, the press/media is very well known for turning the facts around and making up lies and stories and stupid headlines to get people to buy the paper/magazine so that they can make money.........that is what the media is all about. Given all that, SH should know by now that you do not talk to the media, you do not put yourself out there for if you do, then you suffer the consequences of your actions. My impression of royals and that is any royal is that they want their lives as private as possible and that goes for everything in their lives, the less said the better. SH needs to learn this *now*, you don't feed the animal if you know that the animal might bite.............and the media bites big time, all the time and anytime.
And as I said somewhere on here, we are all young and foolish at one time in our lives and the actions and decisions that we did then will be with us for the rest of our lives and there will be people in our lives that will not like what we did when we were young and foolish and stupid, these things are coming back to haunt her and they will be with her for the rest of her live, so she is just going to have to learn to live that. It can't be erased,, it's out there for all to see, so SH has a long road ahead of her to be a royal, I remember all the Sarah/Andrew and that was hell on her and him and the same for D/C............that is the way the media works, only a very tough skin will make her survive in that world of royals.

I dont know that she is dumb, however she has very little education, having left school at such an early age (15-16). What is the saying about those who are not students of history are doomed to repeat it? Diana fed the press, and it bit her. Right now SH is having a press honeymoon, much as the Duchess of York did, before they turned on her. Honeymoons of any variety dont last.

I dont know that she is dumb, however she has very little education, having left school at such an early age (15-16). What is the saying about those who are not students of history are doomed to repeat it? Diana fed the press, and it bit her. Right now SH is having a press honeymoon, much as the Duchess of York did, before they turned on her. Honeymoons of any variety dont last.

So not having a grand education makes you dumb? I think this Wikipedia article will be of interest to you ;)

People, give it a rest. Let's stick to the 'general news' and let's not start the umpteenth discussion about Sofia. If you must that can be done in the 'Sofia's Past' thread but by now I think most posters and readers will know what you think of her as it has been debated ad nauseam.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when we will see Carl and Sofia at any event coming up?

Maybe at the Nobles. Jonas was also there when he was Madeleines fiance. He wasn't sitting on the stage, but he was there at the dinner.

Maybe at the Nobles. Jonas was also there when he was Madeleines fiance. He wasn't sitting on the stage, but he was there at the dinner.

Officially it's not up to the royal family to decide if Sofia goes or not since they're not the hosts (that's the head of the Nobel committee) of the dinner just "special guest stars" (now there's a Heather Locklear reference for you) but then again I'm sure they're very much consulted about who they want to bring and not.
IIRC Daniel was supposed to have been a guest at the dinner while engaged to Victoria but had to cancel because of it being to soon after his kidney transplant?

Officially it's not up to the royal family to decide if Sofia goes or not since they're not the hosts (that's the head of the Nobel committee) of the dinner just "special guest stars" (now there's a Heather Locklear reference for you) but then again I'm sure they're very much consulted about who they want to bring and not.
IIRC Daniel was supposed to have been a guest at the dinner while engaged to Victoria but had to cancel because of it being to soon after his kidney transplant?

I'm not sure about that. There is much talk about this "fact" in this forum, but I've never seen something official about it. But it could very well be possible.

I think that Sofia will be at the Nobels. It would be surprising if the Nobel committee would refuse to invite her if the King suggested that she should be invited.

I wonder - would she already wear a tiara?

I'm not sure about that. There is much talk about this "fact" in this forum, but I've never seen something official about it. But it could very well be possible.

From Aftonbladet: "Crown Princess Victoria's fiancé Daniel Westling has been asked by his doctors to stay at home and will not take part in the festivities".
Nobelpriset 2009 | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

In some newspaper the court commented that it would not have been wise for Daniel to attend at an event of 1200-1500 people in the same room at the worst flu time of the year.
The king is out of his mind if he gives a tiara for Sofia 6 months before the wedding.

Thanks, Lady Finn. So it really happened like that and isn't all gossip. Good to know.

Anyone can wear a tiara to the Nobel dinner if they want to so it's all up to Sofia to go out and get one if she feels like it. I'm not sure that King CXVIG would allow her to wear one of the royal tiaras but then again the old rules are changing so fast in the House of Bernadotte these days it's almost impossible to say in beforehand what's going to happen.

Anyone can wear a tiara to the Nobel dinner if they want to so it's all up to Sofia to go out and get one if she feels like it. I'm not sure that King CXVIG would allow her to wear one of the royal tiaras but then again the old rules are changing so fast in the House of Bernadotte these days it's almost impossible to say in beforehand what's going to happen.

I would think that SH would follow protocol in regards to the Nobles, after all this isn't an event where you can do as you please...she is marrying into the royal family and should follow the rules that they live by all their lives, she follows them , they don't follow her........

General News about Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: July 2014 -

I would think that SH would follow protocol in regards to the Nobles, after all this isn't an event where you can do as you please...she is marrying into the royal family and should follow the rules that they live by all their lives, she follows them , they don't follow her........

I was speaking more in general about how many of the rules have been changing lately for all of them and not just to accommodate the supposed wishes of one person.
Protocol wise anyone can wear a tiara to a white tie event like the Nobel dinner and several non-royal ladies do wear one so it would be perfectly alright for Sofia to do so.
I don't think she will but she could if she wanted too.

It's very possible that Sofia will go to the Nobel Ceremony but she won't be wearing a tiara. She will next year though. She'll wear it along with her royal order.

I was speaking more in general about how many of the rules have been changing lately for all of them and not just to accommodate the supposed wishes of one person.
Protocol wise anyone can wear a tiara to a white tie event like the Nobel dinner and several non-royal ladies do wear one so it would be perfectly alright for Sofia to do so.
I don't think she will but she could if she wanted too.

Thank you for explaining, sorry I jumped on you, sometimes I think many people are ready to give her the keys to the kingdom and the jewels in the vault......:)

Thanks, Lady Finn. So it really happened like that and isn't all gossip. Good to know.

You know KitKat2006, not everything is 'all gossip'. Google is your friend. Consider looking these things up "to see if there is anything official' before summarily dismissing them out of hand.:flowers:

LadyFinn, I agree, the King would be crazy to give her a tiara 6 months before the marriage.

General News about Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 1: July 2014 -

Thank you for explaining, sorry I jumped on you, sometimes I think many people are ready to give her the keys to the kingdom and the jewels in the vault......:)

No problem, I don't feel jumped on at all. In fact I was worried I had been jumping on your toes with my last post to you. I often worry about me being to blunt in my posts. I guess we're even in our mutual non-jumping then lol

Last edited:
I hope she waits and wears a tiara for her wedding. That will be a very special moment for her.

I hope she waits and wears a tiara for her wedding. That will be a very special moment for her.
I somehow agree and think that she should better wait for the wedding before she wears a tiar.

But Maxima wore a tiara twice before her marriage, and there is a possibility that the Swedish will follow that road. The SRF seem to be very intend on publicly showing their support for CP and Sofia. As if they know that Sofia needs more support than Daniel or Christopher ever did. So they might decide that Sofia should wear a tiara as another prove of her being fully accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom