The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Lady Finn - for their 5th wedding anniversary this year Daniel had a piece of artwork - multi media portrait of Estelle - commissioned and gave it to Victoria:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...38131216201585

Many commented, saying they didn't like the gift because Estelle looked like she was behind bars. I like it because it is unique: bling and houses as gifts are somewhat standard operating procedure for royal men (and non royal men with royal wives). Daniel is not wealthy, but his gift to me was very touching and thoughtful. Don't get me wrong jewelry is nice; but sometimes "it's the thought that counts" really holds true. Victoria knows she didn't marry a rich man on the same level as Chris and Carl Philip, but given what I've seen and read about her she appreciates any token Daniel gives her. I don't if he got a break because he's the future prince consort of Sweden, but I still impressed with the gift.
I thought you were talking about jewellery and watches, sorry. We don't know about Daniel's wealth and how much dividends he gets of his shares of his gyms and possible other companies he owns shares at. In February 2010 he got 833000 SEK as dividends of his shares at the Brasil Development. And Aftonbladet wrote that the value of his shares in different companies was over 20 million SEK. And the finnish press wrote that the future husband of the crown princess is a millionaire. The press hasn't written anything about that Daniel would have sold any of his shares.
Säger upp sig – tjänar storkovan _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

I agree, the portrait of Estelle was absolutely lovely, and the price of it isn't the most important thing. And Daniel or Marie-Louise Kold haven't said that it was the 5th anniversary gift to Victoria, just a portrait ordered by Daniel. About the possible price of the portrait of Estelle, which was 40x40 cm, you can see some of Marie-Louise Kold's work on sale at a gallery, with prices:
Marie-Louise Kold | JÄGER & JANSSON Galleri

But back to Carl Philip and Sofia:
Svensk Damtidning tells that the renovation of Villa Solbacken has finally started two weeks ago and Carl Philip and Sofia will not move to the Queen's Pavilion after all, they are waiting for the renovation of Villa Solbacken to be finished. We will see... on last week's issue Svensk Damtidning was sure that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to the Queen's Pavilion.
Renoveringen av Sofias och Carl Philips drömhus har börjat! _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Old 10-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I wonder what happened with the Prince Couple's move? As I understand it, the palaces are under the control of the Swedish government and they are at the sovereign's disposal. In short, they don't belong to Carl Gustaf, except Solliden. Queen's Pavilion is part of Rosendal Palace property; therefore the state controls it too. I wonder if the government told the king Carl Philip & Sofia couldn't move in - or simply SD got it wrong from the beginning?

Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
@Lady Finn - I wonder what happened with the Prince Couple's move? As I understand it, the palaces are under the control of the Swedish government and they are at the sovereign's disposal. In short, they don't belong to Carl Gustaf, except Solliden. Queen's Pavilion is part of Rosendal Palace property; therefore the state controls it too. I wonder if the government told the king Carl Philip & Sofia couldn't move in - or simply SD got it wrong from the beginning?

Almost right there - the castles are government property but at the disposal of the Royal family. It's the King who decides their use and who gets to live where.
I was a bit surprised about Carl-Philip and Sofia moving into the Queens pavilion since it's very accessible for the public and wouldn't give them much privacy at all without fencing off a bigger area than now. Let's not forget the criticism Victoria and Daniel got when them moving into Haga meant that part of the park had to be fenced off for safety and privacy reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Nobility

My thought would be that SD was looking for a story as there has been no update on the renovations at Solbacken until now.And we don't really have any confirmation from CP or the court if in fact the renovations are truly underway.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Stoppa pressarna quotes Expressen Extra
According to the court it has been decided that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to Villa Solbacken. But it will take time because the house resembles a now more a hovel than a castle of royal caliber.
- It's where Carl Philip and Sofia should move eventually. But there is no timetable for it, says the Thomas Norell from the court (I think he works at the at the National Property Board of Sweden) to Expressen Extra.
Last week the weekly press reported about how the prince couple could possibly move into the much more elegant villa, Queen's Pavilion. But that, according to the court, is not up to date.
- Any plans on the Queen's pavilion, I have not heard at all. A number of years ago, there were speculations and plans, both inside and outside the court, about where the royal children would settle after Victoria and Daniel had moved to the Haga Palace, says Norell.
That the renovation of Villa Solbacken is taking so long is partly because the prince couple and the people responsible for the project at the court are doubtful about the practical side.
- It's always like when you are planning a major reconditioning the need for reflection and to go through all the options and such I would imagine, says Norell.
Carl Philips och Sofias svåra dilemma _ Stoppa Pressarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I was a bit surprised about Carl-Philip and Sofia moving into the Queens pavilion since it's very accessible for the public and wouldn't give them much privacy at all without fencing off a bigger area than now. Let's not forget the criticism Victoria and Daniel got when them moving into Haga meant that part of the park had to be fenced off for safety and privacy reasons.

Although Norell says that the move to the Queen's Pavilion hasn't been actual, maybe they spoke about that. If it wasn't thought as a possible house for royals, why didn't the City Planning Office give the floor plans of the Pavilion to Svensk Damtidning? And when Svensk Damtidning published the story, maybe the court and the National Property Board got some calls from people about that there would be fences built to the Park of the Rosendal Palace. And that Carl Philip owns Villa Solbacken, and the house in Ökenäs, why should the state give him a big villa to live in? He isn't the heir to the throne.
Because I'm sure that many people think like me - if Carl Philip and Sofia would have moved to the Queen's Pavilion, they would have never moved to Villa Solbacken from there.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Nobility

I don't have a problem with Carl Philip and Sofia moving in Queen's Pavilion if that was their preference for a permanent home in Stockholm, I do have a problem with them moving in Queen's Pavilion and significant money being spent to make it ready for them, whether that be security and privacy upgrades and/or renovations, only to have them move out a few years later to another home.

I am confused about Villa Solbacken. Villa Solbacken, Queen's Pavilion and Carl Philip and Sofia's current apartment are all in Djurgården right? However Villa Solbaken is privately owned, first by Prince Bertil and now by Carl Philip (because Bertil left it to Carl Philip in his will) but other buildings on Djurgården like Queen's Pavilion and Rosendal Palace are government property with the King being the person who determines how those properties are used. Was Bertil given special permission to build a private home or are there portions of the island that are privately owned?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post

I am confused about Villa Solbacken. Villa Solbacken, Queen's Pavilion and Carl Philip and Sofia's current apartment are all in Djurgården right? However Villa Solbaken is privately owned, first by Prince Bertil and now by Carl Philip (because Bertil left it to Carl Philip in his will) but other buildings on Djurgården like Queen's Pavilion and Rosendal Palace are government property with the King being the person who determines how those properties are used. Was Bertil given special permission to build a private home or are there portions of the island that are privately owned?
There are many places on Djurgarden who are privately owned. Prince Eugen also had his own home there Valdemarsudde which is now a Museum.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Stoppa pressarna quotes Expressen Extra
According to the court it has been decided that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to Villa Solbacken. But it will take time because the house resembles a now more a hovel than a castle of royal caliber.
- It's where Carl Philip and Sofia should move eventually. But there is no timetable for it, says the Thomas Norell from the court (I think he works at the at the National Property Board of Sweden) to Expressen Extra.
Last week the weekly press reported about how the prince couple could possibly move into the much more elegant villa, Queen's Pavilion. But that, according to the court, is not up to date.
- Any plans on the Queen's pavilion, I have not heard at all. A number of years ago, there were speculations and plans, both inside and outside the court, about where the royal children would settle after Victoria and Daniel had moved to the Haga Palace, says Norell.
That the renovation of Villa Solbacken is taking so long is partly because the prince couple and the people responsible for the project at the court are doubtful about the practical side.
- It's always like when you are planning a major reconditioning the need for reflection and to go through all the options and such I would imagine, says Norell.
Carl Philips och Sofias svåra dilemma _ Stoppa Pressarna

Although Norell says that the move to the Queen's Pavilion hasn't been actual, maybe they spoke about that. If it wasn't thought as a possible house for royals, why didn't the City Planning Office give the floor plans of the Pavilion to Svensk Damtidning? And when Svensk Damtidning published the story, maybe the court and the National Property Board got some calls from people about that there would be fences built to the Park of the Rosendal Palace. And that Carl Philip owns Villa Solbacken, and the house in Ökenäs, why should the state give him a big villa to live in? He isn't the heir to the throne.
Because I'm sure that many people think like me - if Carl Philip and Sofia would have moved to the Queen's Pavilion, they would have never moved to Villa Solbacken from there.
Villa Solbacken is privately owned by CP, isn't it ? So why is the Court paying for the renovation and supervising the project?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Courtier

General News about Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia, Part 1: June 2015 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
There are many places on Djurgarden who are privately owned. Prince Eugen also had his own home there Valdemarsudde which is now a Museum.

I have no idea what it's called in English but in Sweden we have something called "tomträtt" which means that you own the house but pay lease on the land on which the house (villa, semi detached, tenement etc...) stands on in perpetuity. Maybe this goes for the private houses on Djurgården?

Old 10-02-2015, 11:19 PM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I haven't read about any complaints towards the Prince Couple moving into the Queen's Pavilion, but I could understand it there were. Carl Philip is not heir apparent; he has livable properties of his own and a private source of income (the design business) he can use to pay the bills until Solbacken is ready. I wonder if there was a concern about tax dollars used to provide Sapo security and cover renovations when they are staying for a short period of time at QP.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Villa Solbacken is privately owned by CP, isn't it ? So why is the Court paying for the renovation and supervising the project?
The court isn't paying for the renovation, but financial director Jan Lindman is taking care of the renovation planning and practical things.

Expressen writes that there is still not any renovation plan with Villa Solbacken and it requires millions from Carl Philip's pocket. Jan Lindman, the financial director of the court, says that it is the prince's private property and the renovation isn't burdening the court. On January 30, Lindman sent documents to the City Planning regarding Villa Solbacken, the application forms for construction matters. The documents showed that there was extensive work to be done. Today - over eight months later - absolutely nothing has happened.
- No, that's right. We have not come forward right now in the process.
The house needs a total renovation and it is reportedly where the problem has occurred. The renovation must be paid by Carl Philip's and Sofia's private funds. The documents show that Carl Philip had wanted the construction to start already on 1 February.
- There is at the moment no timetable for the renovation. It is about a total interior and exterior renovation. Such elementary things as electricity and water must be reviewed and will almost certainly be renewed, says Lindman.
But it's been eight months?
- Yes, but it's been a busy year for the couple with a lot of work, engagement, wedding and then they wanted to enjoy the honeymoon. They have chosen to prioritize other areas than the renovation of the house this year. The couple wants to make a cozy and modern accommodation. But there is much to be done. They want to bring in the house's aesthetic values. It's a big house and a big project.
When they can move in?
- Impossible to say at the moment.
Are they thinking to ignore the renovation and sell the house?
- No, there are no such plans. The house will not be sold, said Lindman.
Recently Svensk Damtidning stated that the couple should move to the Queen's pavilion. But this is denied by Margareta Thorgren:
- No, that's not true. They will not move there.
Carl Philip och Sofia i bostadsdilemma _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 10-04-2015, 03:44 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe that it will take time enough to move to this beautiful home. And perhaps over time and having not even begin the restoration of the house the idea to sell can be very attractive.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Nobility

Why didn't Carl Philip take the necessary steps before his engagement to make sure Solbacken is up to code? Lillian passed away in 2013; the property became his then. He had time before his engagement to Sofia in 2014 to get things started. Now there's a PR headache with the perceptions of the Prince coupe living in state controlled palaces and court employees overseeing renovations. Also, with the insistence of Car Philip & Sofia using their own money to fix up Solbacken, would Sofia have a stake in the villa in the event of a divorce?

@JR76 - Haga was a wedding gift to Victoria and Daniel. The government turned over Haga to the royal court so the Crown Princess couple can live there. I don't know what will happened to Haga when Victoria becomes queen and the family moves to the Royal Palace, but I'm guessing that Haga can be used for visiting heads of state or become the official residence of the heir/heiress apparent.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Nobility

Did not CP and Sofia restore the old farm they inherited? One restoration at a time would be enough I think plus planning a wedding. I have no doubt they will live in Bertil and Lilian's house in their own good time.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Nobility

I think the farm referred is the one Carl Philip inherited in 2008, long before he met Sofia. The farm is not Sofia's property unless Carl Philip put her name on the deed. If Carl Philip didn't put her name on the deed, it's personal property prior to their marriage. It's not hers unless Swedish law allows her to inherit property as the widow.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

^^^^^^^^ i thought the last posts were about where the pair will be living now and whether that residence will be or already has be restored; but after this last post i think i'm missing the plot
Are you asking where P.Sofia would live if she divorced (post 153) or widowed (155)?

i hope either situation will be a long time away: the might move several times before they have to consider those things?
Old 10-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Nobility

I don't know why they would move at the moment unless security is an issue for the court. They have jumped right into their royal duties and hence there may be issues of privacy and security.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Why didn't Carl Philip take the necessary steps before his engagement to make sure Solbacken is up to code? Lillian passed away in 2013; the property became his then. He had time before his engagement to Sofia in 2014 to get things started. Now there's a PR headache with the perceptions of the Prince coupe living in state controlled palaces and court employees overseeing renovations. Also, with the insistence of Car Philip & Sofia using their own money to fix up Solbacken, would Sofia have a stake in the villa in the event of a divorce?

@JR76 - Haga was a wedding gift to Victoria and Daniel. The government turned over Haga to the royal court so the Crown Princess couple can live there. I don't know what will happened to Haga when Victoria becomes queen and the family moves to the Royal Palace, but I'm guessing that Haga can be used for visiting heads of state or become the official residence of the heir/heiress apparent.
Haga was not a wedding gift to the Crown Princess couple. Merely the right to decide how to use the building was returned to the King. He could then make it available to the couple. I doubt the couple will make the Royal Palace their home just as the current King and Queen decided to not live there.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

It all sounds legit to me. Big, old, deteriorated house means lots of money. Hard to know what to do with such a place. Before marriage, why bother. After marriage, what does the wife want. Not easy. The condition of the place sounds like it seriously needs work from the ground up and studs out, and then there is the upkeep when it's all done. What to do?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:42 AM
Majesty

A slow start was not unexpected. CP could hardly move assessors and workers into Villa Solbacken immediately following the death of his much-loved aunt, Princess Lillian even had he felt so inclined.

There is the law to take into account and while Prince Bertil left the Villa to Carl Philip, it was conditional on Princess Lillian's having use of it for the rest of her life.

Upon the death of Princess Lillian, her estate would have fallen under the care of an Executor whose first job would have been to establish exactly what her estate was, separating out that which her husband, Prince Bertil, had left to her for her lifetime, then her estate would have been valued and disbursed as her will dictated.

Given the nature of bureaucracy, particularly that applying to the SRF, I imagine that would have taken more than a few months. Then there would be an assessment of the state of the Villa itself and what was required to bring it back up to code, such as wiring, asbestos removal, etc.

None of that has anything to do with making the Villa economically habitable. That would have required building inspectors, architects, work permits, and approvals (more bureaucracy). So now I understand why upgrading the Villa would take so long before the first hammer is even swung.