The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was under the impression this was a Family Vacation w/the King, Queen, Victoria, Daniel and Estelle. While obviously they all went and their own things w/Friends, at the same time were also all together too. I mean there were those pictures of Carl-Phillip playing w/Estelle at the beach, so that's what had me thinking they were all together.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 08-17-2015, 02:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Why well, well? Who is Meral Tasbas?

She's been dubbed the reality queen of Sweden with endless headlines, tv-appearances, scandals etc but has largely been out of the spotlight the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 08-17-2015, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
She's been dubbed the reality queen of Sweden with endless headlines, tv-appearances, scandals etc but has largely been out of the spotlight the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I'm not surprised about the reality show ties, but I'm surprised the royal court would be comfortable with a member of the royal family hanging out with a person with scandal attached to her name. (well, depends on the scandal). The king was dragged for being friends with an alleged mobster (who helped him get sidepieces). I would think the SRF would not want to open themselves up to a new round of bad press.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Meral Tasbas' boyfriend Johan Carlström has met Carl Philip at the racing circles and that's how Meral got to know Carl Philip and Sofia.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I'm not surprised about the reality show ties, but I'm surprised the royal court would be comfortable with a member of the royal family hanging out with a person with scandal attached to her name. (well, depends on the scandal). The king was dragged for being friends with an alleged mobster (who helped him get sidepieces). I would think the SRF would not want to open themselves up to a new round of bad press.
I have never got the impression that the SRF censored their friends.Sweden is a very open and tolerant society. I would imagine if one was seen in the company of a royal then they would automatically be screened by the tabloids for a possible story.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Are you suggesting that the court should decide who the adult members of the royal house should be allowed to spend their free time with? Sorry, this isn't North Corea, it's Sweden. You must be mixing them up.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Nobility

Royals, like any other public figure, are judged by with whom they associate. If the friend or associate is involved in something dodgy, even criminal, it reflects on the public figure. If a member of the SRF ( or any royal or first family) had full knowledge that one of his/her friends is involved in criminal activity, how would you think the public would take it, especially if said friend goes on trial and the association comes out? The press would raise questions about the famous friend.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Royals, like any other public figure, are judged by with whom they associate. If the friend or associate is involved in something dodgy, even criminal, it reflects on the public figure. If a member of the SRF ( or any royal or first family) had full knowledge that one of his/her friends is involved in criminal activity, how would you think the public would take it, especially if said friend goes on trial and the association comes out? The press would raise questions about the famous friend.
But who are the judges and what are the standards they use.
I think most of us take all this media frenzy with a few grains of salt. Yes they are some people /media who read something into everything and see Royals as up on a pedistal and judge their every move. They are humans doing their job and living their lives like everyone on this journey called life. I don't get the reality TV thing. Everyone associated with RTV isn't a criminal or seedy character in fact they are probably very nice people.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Commoner

What amuses me is when there is a photo of a member of the British Royal Family and the media and others read all sorts of things into it from the looks and expressions of the people in it. No doubt the same thing happens with the SRF. A photo only represents a moment in time and you don't get to the see the whole scenario. So how can anyone come up with a comment about the interactions of those in the picture based on just the photo itself?
Old 08-18-2015, 02:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren from the press department confirmed to Expressen, that Sofia has an electric car. According to Expressen, Sofia has had a Mitsubishi i-MiEV since the end of the spring.
Prinsessan Sofia väljer att köra elbil _ Allt om bilar _ Expressen
Translation
Old 08-18-2015, 07:30 PM
Nobility

I took a look at the court calendar. Between Carl Philip & Sofia, there are four events from now until November 1: Carl Philip's visit today, his go-cart race on 8/8, Sofia's tomorrow, and the joint one in Varmland. I thought the purpose was to put them to work so to lighten the royal load when it came to events. The Royal Couple and the Crown Princess Couple are practically all over the place. While the court calendar is subject to change at any given moment, this looks like a pretty light load. Is the court still trying to figure out how best to deploy the Prince Couple? Or is this to insure that the pecking order is kept in tact -to remind people who has preeminence?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I took a look at the court calendar. Between Carl Philip & Sofia, there are four events from now until November 1: Carl Philip's visit today, his go-cart race on 8/8, Sofia's tomorrow, and the joint one in Varmland. I thought the purpose was to put them to work so to lighten the royal load when it came to events. The Royal Couple and the Crown Princess Couple are practically all over the place. While the court calendar is subject to change at any given moment, this looks like a pretty light load. Is the court still trying to figure out how best to deploy the Prince Couple? Or is this to insure that the pecking order is kept in tact -to remind people who has preeminence?
Perhaps they are breaking them in gently as a couple to their new role and their commitments will increase in time?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts about Project Playground events have been moved to the Princess Sofia and Project Playground (Activities from July 2014) thread.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Perhaps they are breaking them in gently as a couple to their new role and their commitments will increase in time?
Prince Carl Philip is actively involve in his design business and at least two large farms. He is also in the military reserves. I doubt we will ever see him very involved in "royal" business until the King and Queen are no longer able to carry out engagements.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I think that Carl Philip and Sofia are expected to do royal work but I don't recall there being a concern regarding CP/S needing to be available to alleviate the load carried by the king, queen, and crown princess couple. Plus things done particularly by the king and crown princess, diplomatic events for example, are specialized to their role and Carl Philip and Sofia are not expected to lighten the load for those duties.

Also the visit to Varmland and the conference in South Africa are very significant / serious events and will take place within two weeks of each other, an argument can actually be made that Sofia is being thrown in the deep end.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Like I have written before, we who have followed the royal family for a long time, have noticed that the royal calendar is updated so, that the king's and queen's events are updated at one time, Victoria's and Daniel's events at another time and Carl Philip's, Sofia's and Madeleine's events at some another time. Probably there are different people who update for instance the king's events and who updates Victoria's and Daniel's. Victoria's and Daniel's calendar was updated last week and on Monday and again on yesterday. Of course it would be good if the court would inform all the members who attend at event at the same time, but now they have the policy that they can tell that the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel attend at an event and a month later they add Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine to that. I think that the court updates Carl Philip's and Sofia's calendar probably only after their visit to Värmland, the court wants to highlight the prince couple's visit to their duchy.
We will soon see how much Carl Philip and Sofia will work, we just have to wait. And of course the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel work more than Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine. Because they are the royal couple and the crown princess couple. Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine (if she works) are not there to lighten up the work load of the royal couple or the crown princess couple, but do their own share of the royal duties. Last year the royal family got 1 641 invitations to various events, 10 per cent more than in 2013. The members of the royal family attended totally in 877 events in 2014.
And we have to remember, that there is the apanage, of which the costs of the royal family are paid, when they are at an work event. So Carl Philip and Sofia can't suddenly start to work a lot more than Carl Philip has worked before, or then the king must ask for more apanage again, like he did when Daniel joined the royal family and started working full time. Of course as long as Madeleine is on her maternity leave and isn't working, there is no problem with the apanage.
And it is best to read the swedish version of the calendar.

EDIT: Carl Philip and Sofia are attending with the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel to the events of the opening of Parliament, the calendar was updated.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:57 AM
Commoner

I've noticed that in the English version of the calendar some of the events that appear in the Swedish one are missing. So if your assumption that there are different people dealing with each couple I'd also be inclined to think that another person does the English version. I saw yesterday in a newspaper article that Madeleine and her family are getting settled in London. I know the distances are not great but that should surely limit her work for the SRF. As this move has been known for some time it would no doubt have been allowed for.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Nobility

Well it looks like the whole family is back to a full workload. Prince CP and Princess Sofia are one week away from their first official visit as Prince and Princess. I am looking forward to some pictures. I bet they are both excited and nervous!! I am excited also and wishing them well.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Courtier

My guess is that Carl Philip and Sofia will work quite a lot for the court, especially compared to Madeleine. But they will always be a difference between them and the Crown prince couple when it comes to what kind of trips they will make. I don't think they will be sent to represent abroad on trips like the the one in october to Colombia that V&D are scheduled for. I think they will do lots of bread and butter events along with things like state dinners, Nobel and national day celebrations.

Closed Thread