General News about Prince Carl Philip & Princess Sofia, Part 1: June 2015 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression this was a Family Vacation w/the King, Queen, Victoria, Daniel and Estelle. While obviously they all went and their own things w/Friends, at the same time were also all together too. I mean there were those pictures of Carl-Phillip playing w/Estelle at the beach, so that's what had me thinking they were all together.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Why well, well? Who is Meral Tasbas?

She's been dubbed the reality queen of Sweden with endless headlines, tv-appearances, scandals etc but has largely been out of the spotlight the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

She's been dubbed the reality queen of Sweden with endless headlines, tv-appearances, scandals etc but has largely been out of the spotlight the last few years.

I'm not surprised about the reality show ties, but I'm surprised the royal court would be comfortable with a member of the royal family hanging out with a person with scandal attached to her name. (well, depends on the scandal). The king was dragged for being friends with an alleged mobster (who helped him get sidepieces). I would think the SRF would not want to open themselves up to a new round of bad press.

Meral Tasbas' boyfriend Johan Carlström has met Carl Philip at the racing circles and that's how Meral got to know Carl Philip and Sofia.

I'm not surprised about the reality show ties, but I'm surprised the royal court would be comfortable with a member of the royal family hanging out with a person with scandal attached to her name. (well, depends on the scandal). The king was dragged for being friends with an alleged mobster (who helped him get sidepieces). I would think the SRF would not want to open themselves up to a new round of bad press.

I have never got the impression that the SRF censored their friends.Sweden is a very open and tolerant society. I would imagine if one was seen in the company of a royal then they would automatically be screened by the tabloids for a possible story.

Are you suggesting that the court should decide who the adult members of the royal house should be allowed to spend their free time with? Sorry, this isn't North Corea, it's Sweden. You must be mixing them up.

Royals, like any other public figure, are judged by with whom they associate. If the friend or associate is involved in something dodgy, even criminal, it reflects on the public figure. If a member of the SRF ( or any royal or first family) had full knowledge that one of his/her friends is involved in criminal activity, how would you think the public would take it, especially if said friend goes on trial and the association comes out? The press would raise questions about the famous friend.

Royals, like any other public figure, are judged by with whom they associate. If the friend or associate is involved in something dodgy, even criminal, it reflects on the public figure. If a member of the SRF ( or any royal or first family) had full knowledge that one of his/her friends is involved in criminal activity, how would you think the public would take it, especially if said friend goes on trial and the association comes out? The press would raise questions about the famous friend.

But who are the judges and what are the standards they use.
I think most of us take all this media frenzy with a few grains of salt. Yes they are some people /media who read something into everything and see Royals as up on a pedistal and judge their every move. They are humans doing their job and living their lives like everyone on this journey called life. I don't get the reality TV thing. Everyone associated with RTV isn't a criminal or seedy character in fact they are probably very nice people.

What amuses me is when there is a photo of a member of the British Royal Family and the media and others read all sorts of things into it from the looks and expressions of the people in it. No doubt the same thing happens with the SRF. A photo only represents a moment in time and you don't get to the see the whole scenario. So how can anyone come up with a comment about the interactions of those in the picture based on just the photo itself?

I took a look at the court calendar. Between Carl Philip & Sofia, there are four events from now until November 1: Carl Philip's visit today, his go-cart race on 8/8, Sofia's tomorrow, and the joint one in Varmland. I thought the purpose was to put them to work so to lighten the royal load when it came to events. The Royal Couple and the Crown Princess Couple are practically all over the place. While the court calendar is subject to change at any given moment, this looks like a pretty light load. Is the court still trying to figure out how best to deploy the Prince Couple? Or is this to insure that the pecking order is kept in tact -to remind people who has preeminence?

I took a look at the court calendar. Between Carl Philip & Sofia, there are four events from now until November 1: Carl Philip's visit today, his go-cart race on 8/8, Sofia's tomorrow, and the joint one in Varmland. I thought the purpose was to put them to work so to lighten the royal load when it came to events. The Royal Couple and the Crown Princess Couple are practically all over the place. While the court calendar is subject to change at any given moment, this looks like a pretty light load. Is the court still trying to figure out how best to deploy the Prince Couple? Or is this to insure that the pecking order is kept in tact -to remind people who has preeminence?
Perhaps they are breaking them in gently as a couple to their new role and their commitments will increase in time?

Perhaps they are breaking them in gently as a couple to their new role and their commitments will increase in time?
Prince Carl Philip is actively involve in his design business and at least two large farms. He is also in the military reserves. I doubt we will ever see him very involved in "royal" business until the King and Queen are no longer able to carry out engagements.

I think that Carl Philip and Sofia are expected to do royal work but I don't recall there being a concern regarding CP/S needing to be available to alleviate the load carried by the king, queen, and crown princess couple. Plus things done particularly by the king and crown princess, diplomatic events for example, are specialized to their role and Carl Philip and Sofia are not expected to lighten the load for those duties.

Also the visit to Varmland and the conference in South Africa are very significant / serious events and will take place within two weeks of each other, an argument can actually be made that Sofia is being thrown in the deep end.

Like I have written before, we who have followed the royal family for a long time, have noticed that the royal calendar is updated so, that the king's and queen's events are updated at one time, Victoria's and Daniel's events at another time and Carl Philip's, Sofia's and Madeleine's events at some another time. Probably there are different people who update for instance the king's events and who updates Victoria's and Daniel's. Victoria's and Daniel's calendar was updated last week and on Monday and again on yesterday. Of course it would be good if the court would inform all the members who attend at event at the same time, but now they have the policy that they can tell that the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel attend at an event and a month later they add Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine to that. I think that the court updates Carl Philip's and Sofia's calendar probably only after their visit to Värmland, the court wants to highlight the prince couple's visit to their duchy.
We will soon see how much Carl Philip and Sofia will work, we just have to wait. And of course the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel work more than Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine. Because they are the royal couple and the crown princess couple. Carl Philip, Sofia and Madeleine (if she works) are not there to lighten up the work load of the royal couple or the crown princess couple, but do their own share of the royal duties. Last year the royal family got 1 641 invitations to various events, 10 per cent more than in 2013. The members of the royal family attended totally in 877 events in 2014.
And we have to remember, that there is the apanage, of which the costs of the royal family are paid, when they are at an work event. So Carl Philip and Sofia can't suddenly start to work a lot more than Carl Philip has worked before, or then the king must ask for more apanage again, like he did when Daniel joined the royal family and started working full time. Of course as long as Madeleine is on her maternity leave and isn't working, there is no problem with the apanage.
And it is best to read the swedish version of the calendar.

EDIT: Carl Philip and Sofia are attending with the king, queen, Victoria and Daniel to the events of the opening of Parliament, the calendar was updated.

Last edited:
I've noticed that in the English version of the calendar some of the events that appear in the Swedish one are missing. So if your assumption that there are different people dealing with each couple I'd also be inclined to think that another person does the English version. I saw yesterday in a newspaper article that Madeleine and her family are getting settled in London. I know the distances are not great but that should surely limit her work for the SRF. As this move has been known for some time it would no doubt have been allowed for.

Well it looks like the whole family is back to a full workload. Prince CP and Princess Sofia are one week away from their first official visit as Prince and Princess. I am looking forward to some pictures. I bet they are both excited and nervous!! I am excited also and wishing them well.

My guess is that Carl Philip and Sofia will work quite a lot for the court, especially compared to Madeleine. But they will always be a difference between them and the Crown prince couple when it comes to what kind of trips they will make. I don't think they will be sent to represent abroad on trips like the the one in october to Colombia that V&D are scheduled for. I think they will do lots of bread and butter events along with things like state dinners, Nobel and national day celebrations.

Photos from the honeymoon. According to the swedish press Carl Philip and Sofia are on a private Laucala island owned by Dietrich Mateschitz, the co-founder of Red Bull.

Prins Carl Philip och Sofias äventyr på lyx-ön _ kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

the hotel where CP and sofia stayed on honeymoon on a private Laucala island has been classified as one of the most expensive hotel stays in the world, at 30000 USD per night:

Los hoteles más caros del mundo | Álbumes | Ocholeguas | elmundo.es

Johan T Lindwall tells in Expressen that Sofia has since last November owned an apartment in Sea Point in central Cape Town. It cost 1.3 million SEK and is just 250 meters from the Atlantic Ocean and has 24 hour security surveillance.
The exclusive house has everything from a large pool to a well-equipped gym and is close (1,8 kilometers away) to Project Playground.
The Documents from the South African Land Registry, The South African Registrar of Deeds, show that Sofia bought the apartment in central Cape Town on November 2, 2014. The purchase contract was signed in November 2014, but it was not until March 13, 2015 when Sofia was registered as the owner of the apartment. The apartment is on the second floor of the residential building consisting of 105 apartments and has 72 square meters. The house is guarded 24 hours a day.
The contract shows that the purchase price was 1.9 million South African rand, 1.3 million SEK to the day's exchange rate.
Sofia got also a parking space in the 24-hour guarded garage.
Sofia is not the only Swedish citizen who owns an apartment in the apartment building. The floor above is an apartment of 72 square meters owned by the parents of Frida Vesterberg, the co-founder of Project Playground.
To her friends at home in Sweden, Sofia has told of apartment purchase in Cape Town and that she plans to spend some time each year in South Africa.
Prinsessan Sofias okända lägenhet _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

On the cover of Expressen "Sofia bought a luxury apartment abroad"
http://y.cdn-expressen.se/images/03/ba/03bab78276a24435ac3ae6c848aa9c19/502@70.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^
so there is some potential issue to stir up after all; funny how half the internet thought that that any issue that would be troubling would be the nude past, but it seems that in north-western monarchies the issues that are stirred up most are those concerning money and/or the spending of it...

I don't know much about the housing prices in South Africa, but an apartment for 1.3 million SEK (roughly 140 00 euros or 155 000 USD) isn't that much money for what's described. For that amont you won't even get a small studio apartment within a 40 km range of Stockholm city.

That's true. 1.3 million SEK wouldn't buy you more than a 1 bedroom flat in most of the bigger Swedish cities so I don't get what the fuss is all about.

I don't know much about the housing prices in South Africa, but an apartment for 1.3 million SEK (roughly 140 00 euros or 155 000 USD) isn't that much money for what's described. For that amont you won't even get a small studio apartment within a 40 km range of Stockholm city.

I believe Cape Town is rated as one of the least expensive world cities. That is related to the sharp devaluation of the South African rand.

Last edited:
I think the question is why Sofia has secret property in her maiden name and why is it coming out now? I believe the press knew all along about the apartment and it's going for a new angle when writing about Sofia. Puff pieces can only go so far. First the plagiarism story now this. I think Sofia's honeymoon with the press is over.

I think the question is why Sofia has secret property in her maiden name and why is it coming out now? I believe the press knew all along about the apartment and it's going for a new angle when writing about Sofia. Puff pieces can only go so far. First the plagiarism story now this. I think Sofia's honeymoon with the press is over.

This isn't a secret property - it's in the public records, and she isn't required to disclose every purchase to the public.

It's in her maiden name because she wasn't married in the fall of 2014 when she bought the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom