The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 08:30 AM

Have you seen the newtaken photos of Princess Sofia, Prince Carl Philip and their baby Prince Alexander? It's too cute!
Prins Alexander med sina stolta föräldrar | Allt om Sveriges kungahus

Old 05-16-2016, 02:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I don't know mucht about this business, but what I do know is that Sofia will not do anything against her marriage or anything that looks wrong to the Swedish people...[...]... I don't think that she will do anything wrong...
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden were photographed while they were walking around Drottningholm Palace with their son, Prince Alexander and these new photos were published in the new issue of 'Svensk Damtidning' magazine.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...40&oe=57D88508
Can't see much (meaning of Prince Alexander). But Carl-Philip and Sofia look contented and happy.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:16 AM
Courtier

According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok! Not in Sweden, I think. Why didn't she decline a title if she wishes to continue her life as before?

Prinsessans Sofias överraskande val | Svensk Damtidning

Fear not, moderators, I won't touch this subject again and will now return to usual topics so hopefully there will be no need to delete this post.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 AM
Nobility

How much is her apanage
Old 05-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Courtier

I don't know the exact sum distributed to each member but I know that the apanage has been elevated each year. In 2015 it was 127.5 million SEK (about 15.5 million USD) and this year I think it was elevated to 135.3 million SEK (16.4 million USD).

I doubt this means that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are doing poorly financially.

These are the figures I found. Please let me know if they are incorrect and you find the exact numbers. I also found this: http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/...180005637.html
Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana View Post
How much is her apanage
Her apanage is zero. Only the King, the Queen and Princess Victoria receive funds directly from the apanage. The King's younger children are occasionally reimbursed through their father's apanage.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok! Not in Sweden, I think. Why didn't she decline a title if she wishes to continue her life as before?

Prinsessans Sofias överraskande val | Svensk Damtidning

Fear not, moderators, I won't touch this subject again and will now return to usual topics so hopefully there will be no need to delete this post.
Based on the comments I read it sounds like it's a theory of one or more of the royal reporters that the apanage is too small and that is not coming from Sofia or the court, hopefully one of the Swedish speakers can clarify.

I missed where Sofia "openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money," when did this happen?

Not too long ago it was posted that the terms of Sofia's pre-nup was that in the event of a divorce that Sofia is not entitled to any money made by Carl Philip while they were married. I don't have a problem with that but can definitely see why Sofia would be motivated by that and perhaps other things to generate her own income. Of course I don't think that she should be able to earn money in a corrupt manner, but since, as far as we know, the business is not up and running, I'm not going to jump the gun and assume what she plans to do is shady, but as I said before, I'm all for the media serving as a watchdog for this and other royal money making endeavors.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok!
this is beyond me too...
has she explicitely stated then that the apanage is too small and that's her reason for starting a company?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM
Courtier

To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions. Before that we cannot be hundred percent sure of her motivations and reasons. The main thing here in my opinion is that things need to be fair for all.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Nobility

sorry for my question but why she need more money , i think her husband is rich and can give her what she want
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions. Before that we cannot be hundred percent sure of her motivations and reasons. The main thing here in my opinion is that things need to be fair for all.
Who has been treated unfairly?
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions.
Responding to media articles with an interview is not always better, because by the very fact that the royal gives the interview it is often assumed that indeed there *is* something to explain

Apart from that i vividly remember the comments after a recent Chris O'Neill interview
Old 05-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

People lost their minds over the O'Neill interview. Better for them to say nothing since many people can't seem to handle opposing ideology or just a different perspective.

LaRae
Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 PM
Commoner

I highly doubt that Sofia wil give an interview about her business. It's clearly something that they want to maintein as reserved as possible, at least from a media point of view.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Who has been treated unfairly?
Chris O'Neill and Prince Daniel.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Chris O'Neill and Prince Daniel.
As far as I can tell, Sofia is following the same Royal Court guidelines on members of the SRF owning a business that Daniel has followed since he married Victoria. In fact, the Court itself advised Sofia to set up her business the way she did. Chris O'Neill, on the other hand, is not a member of the Royal House and is free to do whatever he wants with his life.

Again, to avoid misunderstandings, members of SRF are not prevented from owning a business, or earning income from a a business they own. They are barred, however, from being a full-time salaried employee, or being a CEO, or sitting on the board of a company. At least, that is how I understand the Court's guidelines and I don't see any indication that Sofia is violating them in any way or form.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Nobility

I'm surprised this story still has legs. It's been a week and a half.

If Sofia is starting this business because the "appanage is too small", what or who provided the start up costs, and who and what is funding day to day operations of SKB Sweden AB? The Hellqvists are not wealthy, so where is the money coming from? As I said in a previous post, it may be legal but the optics are bad, especially with Sofia's dad and sister apparently on the payroll and working out of the Royal Palace. And with no formal announcement of the new business - just some slap dash explanation by the court after a reporter caught the court unawares when first asked about it - it gives the air of shadiness. I agree with Catharina, an interview should be given, or a statement by Sofia. No comment is just giving oxygen to this mess.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 AM
Royal Highness

Perhaps the court and Princess Sofia think addressing the issue will prolong the story or raise more questions they're not ready to answer. With the christenings and National Day coming up, Princess Sofia's company will be temporarily forgotten.

My main issues are: the court fumbled the response and what does her company actually do? Prince CP's companies and the other royals' companies are clear in their activities.

I assume Sofia had savings/investments from her earnings as model, TV personality, yoga instructor, and co-founder of Project Playground. Also, whatever reimbursements she gets from the King's appanage is hers to do with as she pleases. The combined amount is probably enough to start a company.

How reliable is Svensk Damtidning? The part about Sofia thinking the appanage is too small sounds made up. It's reasonable for the relatives to plan for their financial future. Carl Philip, Sofia, their son Alexander, Madeleine, her children, and eventually Oscar will need to generate their own income. Sweden doesn't need many working royals.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma View Post
I assume Sofia had savings/investments from her earnings as model, TV personality, yoga instructor, and co-founder of Project Playground. Also, whatever reimbursements she gets from the King's appanage is hers to do with as she pleases. The combined amount is probably enough to start a company.

How reliable is Svensk Damtidning? The part about Sofia thinking the appanage is too small sounds made up. It's reasonable for the relatives to plan for their financial future. Carl Philip, Sofia, their son Alexander, Madeleine, her children, and eventually Oscar will need to generate their own income. Sweden doesn't need many working royals.
Savings? Sofia's income from 2001 - 11 800 SEK, 2002 - 0 SEK, 2003 - 38 800 SEK, 2004 - 73 300 SEK and 2005 - 38 447 SEK. A person doesn't live with those, and certainly not can make savings.
http://kungensbiografi.eriksoderman.se/63.pdf
Then Sofia moved to New York, where she at least for some time according to the CV at the court website was studying, so she was working part time. If she had to pay the rent and for her food, she surely got no savings. And she visited Sweden many times a year, the flights also cost.
Sofia and Frida founded Project Playground in 2010 with their small savings, they have told in interviews.
According to Project Playground's Annual Report, PP didn't pay any salaries in 2010, and in 2011 they paid salaries 70 619 SEK (+ Sofia got some money as the member of the board). One doesn't live with that either or make savings.
http://www.project-playground.org/fi...ing%202011.pdf
In 2012 PP paid salaries, 673 300 SEK for on average two people. In 2013 1013 238 SEK for three people. And in 2014 912 259 SEK for three people.
http://www.project-playground.org/fi...ing%202013.pdf
http://www.project-playground.org/fi...ing%202014.pdf

The information in Svensk Damtidning that Sofia is working because the apanage is too small - that is Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson who says that as her opinion. Alexandersson and Aftonbladet TV have a collaboration broadcast "Kungligt med Jenny Alexandersson" with Svensk Damtidning.
Carl Philip and Sofia (and Madeleine) get money from the apanage as paid costs caused from their official royal work events. But because the court doesn't have to tell very thoroughly how the apanage is used, no one knows how much money Carl Philip and Sofia have got.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:58 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks LadyFinn

I wasn't aware Sofia's income was published. Well, she was able to save something to contribute to Project Playground's creation. Her mystery company is in its infancy so costs could be low at the moment and seems to be primarily in services. No products or inventory yet. The palace address saves on office rental...

Are there any policies about royalty getting loans?

Closed Thread