The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Expressen has finally weighted in:

Prinsessan Sofia har startat ett bolag på Kungliga slottet | Nyheter | Expressen

I'm surprised at the "royals should not sit at the company" lead, and bringing in the quote from a constitutional law professor. I don't think he cleared the distiction between CP's businesses and this one. I think the question how active Sofia really is in this company, and should she be? It looks like this professor believes a princess should not be involved in any business, as if it's against tradition. Whatever it is, it's a PR rake that's been stepped on.
Expressen's article is from this morning and it quotes Aftonbladet's article. The professor has right to say his opinion. The court has it's own policy which I have posted earlier today and according to it the royals may not be a a board member, ceo or vice ceo of a commercial company, or be full-time employees. As for Sofia's role and how active she really is, I think that it is quite impossible to get information about that.
It will be interesting to see the annual report of Sofia's company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Does CP's family sit on the board of any of his companies?
Carl Philip's family members are royals and they can't be members of the board of a commercial company.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
This perfectly sums up the situation, except that the business address is one of the palaces? That's going to have to change, for sure.
one of Carl Philip companies have the address of the castle

CPhB Design AB
Kungliga Slottet 111 30 Stockholm Stockholms län

Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Expressen's article is from this morning and it quotes Aftonbladet's article. The professor has right to say his opinion. The court has it's own policy which I have posted earlier today and according to it the royals may not be a a board member, ceo or vice ceo of a commercial company, or be full-time employees. As for Sofia's role and how active she really is, I think that it is quite impossible to get information about that.
It will be interesting to see the annual report of Sofia's company.

Carl Philip's family members are royals and they can't be members of the board of a commercial company.
thank you LadyFinn for all the data, and to put things in context.

personally I'm not here to defend Sofia, it's just that I do not see why we should condemn it for something other than 'royal' have (since people compare), and the more it has done with the agreement and the rules that have been requested to follow. And I think it's many stories about not much. That she just closed her old society, because there it was the only representative, and to create the new with the court rules. it is the same industry with the addition of movable and immovable property.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest View Post
thank you LadyFinn for all the data, and to put things in context.

personally I'm not here to defend Sofia, it's just that I do not see why we should condemn it for something other than 'royal' have (since people compare), and the more it has done with the agreement and the rules that have been requested to follow. And I think it's many stories about not much. That she just closed her old society, because there it was the only representative, and to create the new with the court rules. it is the same industry with the addition of movable and immovable property.
I really agree with you (from Liège by the way !!!!)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Majesty

this situation is very confusing. so madeleine got bashed for being a member in chris society (who very cleanly gave up any titles to continue his activity), but CP and sofia each have their own societies, which no one complains about, not even the court?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The situations of Daniel and Sofia are not comparable. Daniel is the spouse to the future head of state, Daniel is the father to the future head of State. Closer linked to the head of state is not possible. Daniel will be provided for, all his life long. Daniel's spouse will be provided for, all her life long. Daniel's eldest child will be provided for, all her life long.

Prince Carl Philip has to earn his own living. Princess Sofia has to earn her own living. Their children have to earn their own living too. The right every Swede has to earn his/her own living, is also enjoyed by Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia.
i am sure that CP and sofia, and their offspring will enjoy a very privileged lifestyle, whether their parents own companies or not. it's not as if, once victoria becomes queen, they will be thrown out of their properties and left homeless. it's not either as if, without any fortune amassed by themselves, their children will not afford an education with which they will be able to start their own businesses, should they wish that, or their careers.

Quote:
Done like everyone else, what are you talking about? She hasn't done anything 'like everyone else'. How many people do you know that have a past like hers, for which she has no regrets by the way? And this is decidedly NOT how a business should be run if you are at all worried about business ethics, which anyone with half a brain who is in the public view should worry about.

Mindless people who accept her without question are just as foolish as she is. She is a public figure who must and will be held up to the microscope, the sooner she realizes this and starts acting accordingly the sooner people like me will have nothing to say. .
sofia is indeed a public figure. and so is CP. making up their own rules is just arrogant and un-royal in my opinion. you have everything provided for, and your role for that privilege is to represent sweden. it just doesn't look good if, in a selfish manner, you take the best of being royal, with the best of being a private citizen, and make your own definition of being a diplomat. one takes the full package. how does this sound to a taxpayer, who pays for the royal family for their representation in supporting causes that will make his country better, only to realise that, in fact, they are only doing that part time because they have their private businesses to attend to?

should sofia have wanted to head a business, then she is no different to chris, who refused any royal privileges to allow for that. why, then, is this getting approached differently for chris and for sofia? had it been the other way round (sofia refusing titles to focus on her business, chris taking the royal position and founding his own company on the side), i can hear the uproar of the feminists on how life is unfair and that 'females are being treated differently in the royal family'.

i am baffled by the inconsistency and the hypocrisy operating in the swedish court...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Majesty

OK, I am officially confused. It is alright for Prince Carl Philip to be co-owner of a company but not for Princess Sofia because princesses traditionally don't? What a load of old cobblers.

As to the company itself, is it not a private, family owned company, i.e. not listed on the stock exchange nor a listed charitable foundation. That being the case, there is no commonality between her company and that in which Christiana and Inaki were involved.

As has been pointed out, Daniel was not forced to sell his share of his businesses but rather turn the running of them over to others (of his own choice) and stepping down from the Board.

Sofia is not on the board, merely an owner as is her husband of his companies. This neither breaks nor bends any rules, it seems the root of the problem is the personal animus with which many treat Sophia?
Old 05-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest View Post
one of Carl Philip companies have the address of the castle

CPhB Design AB
Kungliga Slottet 111 30 Stockholm Stockholms län

I stand corrected.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Royal Highness

I have read most of the posts but I couldn't see what the business is.
Is it something to do textiles ? Eg retailer, wholesaler , have her parents had a business before ?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
this situation is very confusing. so madeleine got bashed for being a member in chris society (who very cleanly gave up any titles to continue his activity), but CP and sofia each have their own societies, which no one complains about, not even the court?

i am sure that CP and sofia, and their offspring will enjoy a very privileged lifestyle, whether their parents own companies or not. it's not as if, once victoria becomes queen, they will be thrown out of their properties and left homeless. it's not either as if, without any fortune amassed by themselves, their children will not afford an education with which they will be able to start their own businesses, should they wish that, or their careers.

sofia is indeed a public figure. and so is CP. making up their own rules is just arrogant and un-royal in my opinion. you have everything provided for, and your role for that privilege is to represent sweden. it just doesn't look good if, in a selfish manner, you take the best of being royal, with the best of being a private citizen, and make your own definition of being a diplomat. one takes the full package. how does this sound to a taxpayer, who pays for the royal family for their representation in supporting causes that will make his country better, only to realise that, in fact, they are only doing that part time because they have their private businesses to attend to?

should sofia have wanted to head a business, then she is no different to chris, who refused any royal privileges to allow for that. why, then, is this getting approached differently for chris and for sofia? had it been the other way round (sofia refusing titles to focus on her business, chris taking the royal position and founding his own company on the side), i can hear the uproar of the feminists on how life is unfair and that 'females are being treated differently in the royal family'.

i am baffled by the inconsistency and the hypocrisy
operating in the swedish court...

No one gave Chris or Daniel a pass, why should Sofia get one? And they both started their businesses long before they ever married into the family. Ok, Daniel is a special case because he'll be prince consort some day and is held to a higher standard, but Chris refused a title so he could continue his business and still had to bear criticism and make changes to his company because of how it reflected on the SRF. Again, why is Sofia any different? Why did it take a media outlet digging this up before this was made public if there is nothing to hide? Where is the transparency?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

i am baffled by the inconsistency and the hypocrisy operating in the swedish court...

Just to put things in context, it must be said that CP and Sofia do not get direct public funding. The bloc grant that is allocated to the Royal House is divided between the King's household, the Queen's household, Princess Victoria's household, and the Royal Mews. A separate public grant is destined to the maintenance of the Royal Palaces.

As mentioned by other posters, regardless of public funding , Carl Philip is still a fairly wealthy person on his own. Although not exactly "super-rich", he shouldn't have trouble providing for his family.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you, I'm glad not everyone here is taking the 'give poor picked on Sofia a chance' attitude.

No one gave Chris or Daniel a pass, why should Sofia get one? And they both started their businesses long before they ever married into the family. Ok, Daniel is a special case because he'll be prince consort some day and is held to a higher standard, but Chris refused a title so he could continue his business and still had to bear criticism and make changes to his company because of how it reflected on the SRF. Again, why is Sofia any different? Why did it take a media outlet digging this up before this was made public if there is nothing to hide? Where is the transparency?
As has been pointed out in earlier posts Sofia is a Swedish citizen, Chris is not. Chris did not refuse a title to keep his businesses; he cannot receive a title because he is not a Swedish citizen.
I really don't get the problem here. All above board IMHO. Sofia is not using taxpayer's money so she can do what she wants with her own money.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
As has been pointed out in earlier posts Sofia is a Swedish citizen, Chris is not. Chris did not refuse a title to keep his businesses; he cannot receive a title because he is not a Swedish citizen.
I really don't get the problem here. All above board IMHO. Sofia is not using taxpayer's money so she can do what she wants with her own money.
mmm... that's surely not correct. silvia was not a swedish national and she's queen of sweden. i am sure she probably was made a swedish national prior to her wedding, but the same would have happened with chris had he not refused a royal role and a title.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Gentry

Quote:
mmm... that's surely not correct. silvia was not a swedish national and she's queen of sweden. i am sure she probably was made a swedish national prior to her wedding, but the same would have happened with chris had he not refused a royal role and a title.
Exactly. The beloved Princess Lillian begrudgingly gave up her British citizenship when she was finally able to marry Prince Bertil. Had Chris wanted to become a Swedish citizen and get a title he would have been able to.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
Chris didn't take a title for two reasons: because he wanted to continue his businesses and he didn't want to take the swedish citizenship.
"Mr Christopher O'Neill is and remains an American citizen, and he intends to continue his business activities as before following his marriage to H.R.H. Princess Madeleine. In accordance with royal protocol, a member of the Royal Family should be a Swedish citizen, and should not hold a position of responsibility within business. This means that, in accordance with these principles, Mr Christopher O'Neill cannot hold the title H.R.H. Prince of Sweden or Duke of Gästrikland and Hälsingland."
Mr Christopher O'Neill's title - Sveriges Kungahus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Just to put things in context, it must be said that CP and Sofia do not get direct public funding. The bloc grant that is allocated to the Royal House is divided between the King's household, the Queen's household, Princess Victoria's household, and the Royal Mews. A separate public grant is destined to the maintenance of the Royal Palaces.
Carl Philip doesn't have his own Royal Household but he and Sofia (and Madeleine) get money from the apanage to cover the costs when they attend at an official royal work event.
And Carl Philip and Sofia have lived for free at their apartment in Djurgården without paying any rent, because the Right to Disposition formulated the same time as the Constitution Act 1809 gives the king the right to dispose the royal palaces and even the Royal Djurgården. The properties covered by the right of disposal are state-owned and managed mostly by the National Property Board. The right allows the three royal children stay free.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has been cleaned up and re-opened. Personal attacks and OT remarks have been deleted.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know mucht about this business, but what I do know is that Sofia will not do anything against her marriage or anything that looks wrong to the Seedish people...she had made some mistakes in the past, but she has gain the trust of the Swedis people so why make any mistakes now?Why make things wrong?I don't think that she wants to lose anything that she has, she has a family, a son, a position the the Royal house, she has the trust of the Queen and the King so... I don't think that she will do anything wrong...
Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Commoner

From what I am reading, I don't think Sofia is doing something illegal. At the same time this story gives a bad feeling. It is as if she was trying to take advantage of a favorable situation that in this case is being a member of the SWF. Moreover I agree on the fact that you can't make comparisons with Daniel and Chris since they founded their companies before marring into the royal family. To me it's a significant difference.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden were photographed while they were walking around Drottningholm Palace with their son, Prince Alexander and these new photos were published in the new issue of 'Svensk Damtidning' magazine.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...40&oe=57D88508
Old 05-12-2016, 06:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Lovely family walk
Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 PM
Commoner

lovely family!

Closed Thread