General News about Prince Carl Philip & Princess Sofia, Part 1: June 2015 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been pointed out in earlier posts Sofia is a Swedish citizen, Chris is not. Chris did not refuse a title to keep his businesses; he cannot receive a title because he is not a Swedish citizen.
I really don't get the problem here. All above board IMHO. Sofia is not using taxpayer's money so she can do what she wants with her own money.

mmm... that's surely not correct. silvia was not a swedish national and she's queen of sweden. i am sure she probably was made a swedish national prior to her wedding, but the same would have happened with chris had he not refused a royal role and a title.

mmm... that's surely not correct. silvia was not a swedish national and she's queen of sweden. i am sure she probably was made a swedish national prior to her wedding, but the same would have happened with chris had he not refused a royal role and a title.

Exactly. The beloved Princess Lillian begrudgingly gave up her British citizenship when she was finally able to marry Prince Bertil. Had Chris wanted to become a Swedish citizen and get a title he would have been able to.

As has been pointed out in earlier posts Sofia is a Swedish citizen, Chris is not. Chris did not refuse a title to keep his businesses; he cannot receive a title because he is not a Swedish citizen.
I really don't get the problem here. All above board IMHO. Sofia is not using taxpayer's money so she can do what she wants with her own money.

Chris didn't take a title for two reasons: because he wanted to continue his businesses and he didn't want to take the swedish citizenship.
"Mr Christopher O'Neill is and remains an American citizen, and he intends to continue his business activities as before following his marriage to H.R.H. Princess Madeleine. In accordance with royal protocol, a member of the Royal Family should be a Swedish citizen, and should not hold a position of responsibility within business. This means that, in accordance with these principles, Mr Christopher O'Neill cannot hold the title H.R.H. Prince of Sweden or Duke of Gästrikland and Hälsingland."
Mr Christopher O'Neill's title - Sveriges Kungahus

Just to put things in context, it must be said that CP and Sofia do not get direct public funding. The bloc grant that is allocated to the Royal House is divided between the King's household, the Queen's household, Princess Victoria's household, and the Royal Mews. A separate public grant is destined to the maintenance of the Royal Palaces.

Carl Philip doesn't have his own Royal Household but he and Sofia (and Madeleine) get money from the apanage to cover the costs when they attend at an official royal work event.
And Carl Philip and Sofia have lived for free at their apartment in Djurgården without paying any rent, because the Right to Disposition formulated the same time as the Constitution Act 1809 gives the king the right to dispose the royal palaces and even the Royal Djurgården. The properties covered by the right of disposal are state-owned and managed mostly by the National Property Board. The right allows the three royal children stay free.

Last edited:
This thread has been cleaned up and re-opened. Personal attacks and OT remarks have been deleted.

Last edited:
I don't know mucht about this business, but what I do know is that Sofia will not do anything against her marriage or anything that looks wrong to the Seedish people...she had made some mistakes in the past, but she has gain the trust of the Swedis people so why make any mistakes now?Why make things wrong?I don't think that she wants to lose anything that she has, she has a family, a son, a position the the Royal house, she has the trust of the Queen and the King so... I don't think that she will do anything wrong...

From what I am reading, I don't think Sofia is doing something illegal. At the same time this story gives a bad feeling. It is as if she was trying to take advantage of a favorable situation that in this case is being a member of the SWF. Moreover I agree on the fact that you can't make comparisons with Daniel and Chris since they founded their companies before marring into the royal family. To me it's a significant difference.

I don't know mucht about this business, but what I do know is that Sofia will not do anything against her marriage or anything that looks wrong to the Swedish people...[...]... I don't think that she will do anything wrong...

Totally agree. :flowers:

Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Sofia of Sweden were photographed while they were walking around Drottningholm Palace with their son, Prince Alexander and these new photos were published in the new issue of 'Svensk Damtidning' magazine.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a67cd0749b2f1a01a80ca33d99bc2c49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a67cd0749b2f1a01a80ca33d99bc2c49&oe=57A6B750
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=029ede3ccaf4f94b7686460236c32e40&oe=57D88508

Can't see much (meaning of Prince Alexander). But Carl-Philip and Sofia look contented and happy. :flowers:

Last edited:
According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok! Not in Sweden, I think. Why didn't she decline a title if she wishes to continue her life as before?

Prinsessans Sofias överraskande val | Svensk Damtidning

Fear not, moderators, I won't touch this subject again and will now return to usual topics so hopefully there will be no need to delete this post.

I don't know the exact sum distributed to each member but I know that the apanage has been elevated each year. In 2015 it was 127.5 million SEK (about 15.5 million USD) and this year I think it was elevated to 135.3 million SEK (16.4 million USD).

I doubt this means that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are doing poorly financially.

These are the figures I found. Please let me know if they are incorrect and you find the exact numbers. I also found this: http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/monarchytheroyalcourt/royalfinances.4.396160511584257f2180005637.html

Last edited:
How much is her apanage

Her apanage is zero. Only the King, the Queen and Princess Victoria receive funds directly from the apanage. The King's younger children are occasionally reimbursed through their father's apanage.

According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok! Not in Sweden, I think. Why didn't she decline a title if she wishes to continue her life as before?

Prinsessans Sofias överraskande val | Svensk Damtidning

Fear not, moderators, I won't touch this subject again and will now return to usual topics so hopefully there will be no need to delete this post.
Based on the comments I read it sounds like it's a theory of one or more of the royal reporters that the apanage is too small and that is not coming from Sofia or the court, hopefully one of the Swedish speakers can clarify.

I missed where Sofia "openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money," when did this happen?

Not too long ago it was posted that the terms of Sofia's pre-nup was that in the event of a divorce that Sofia is not entitled to any money made by Carl Philip while they were married. I don't have a problem with that but can definitely see why Sofia would be motivated by that and perhaps other things to generate her own income. Of course I don't think that she should be able to earn money in a corrupt manner, but since, as far as we know, the business is not up and running, I'm not going to jump the gun and assume what she plans to do is shady, but as I said before, I'm all for the media serving as a watchdog for this and other royal money making endeavors.

Last edited:
According to a court reporter, Sofia's new business has been set up because according to her the apanage is too small. In other words, she wants to earn more money through her company. Why she can have another set of rules compared to others (Chris declined a title, Daniel is only a passive part owner) is beyond me. She sets the business up after her marriage, owns all the stocks, appoints her family members and even openly states the company will be actively used by her to use her princess status as a means to earn money - and everyone thinks it is perfectly ok!

this is beyond me too... :ermm:
has she explicitely stated then that the apanage is too small and that's her reason for starting a company?

To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions. Before that we cannot be hundred percent sure of her motivations and reasons. The main thing here in my opinion is that things need to be fair for all.

sorry for my question but why she need more money , i think her husband is rich and can give her what she want

To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions. Before that we cannot be hundred percent sure of her motivations and reasons. The main thing here in my opinion is that things need to be fair for all.
Who has been treated unfairly?

To avoid all misunderstandings, I think Sofia should come out and give an interview herself instead of hiding behind court statements and court reporters making assumptions.

Responding to media articles with an interview is not always better, because by the very fact that the royal gives the interview it is often assumed that indeed there *is* something to explain :flowers:

Apart from that i vividly remember the comments after a recent Chris O'Neill interview :lol:

People lost their minds over the O'Neill interview. Better for them to say nothing since many people can't seem to handle opposing ideology or just a different perspective.

LaRae

I highly doubt that Sofia wil give an interview about her business. It's clearly something that they want to maintein as reserved as possible, at least from a media point of view.

Chris O'Neill and Prince Daniel.

As far as I can tell, Sofia is following the same Royal Court guidelines on members of the SRF owning a business that Daniel has followed since he married Victoria. In fact, the Court itself advised Sofia to set up her business the way she did. Chris O'Neill, on the other hand, is not a member of the Royal House and is free to do whatever he wants with his life.

Again, to avoid misunderstandings, members of SRF are not prevented from owning a business, or earning income from a a business they own. They are barred, however, from being a full-time salaried employee, or being a CEO, or sitting on the board of a company. At least, that is how I understand the Court's guidelines and I don't see any indication that Sofia is violating them in any way or form.

I'm surprised this story still has legs. It's been a week and a half.

If Sofia is starting this business because the "appanage is too small", what or who provided the start up costs, and who and what is funding day to day operations of SKB Sweden AB? The Hellqvists are not wealthy, so where is the money coming from? As I said in a previous post, it may be legal but the optics are bad, especially with Sofia's dad and sister apparently on the payroll and working out of the Royal Palace. And with no formal announcement of the new business - just some slap dash explanation by the court after a reporter caught the court unawares when first asked about it - it gives the air of shadiness. I agree with Catharina, an interview should be given, or a statement by Sofia. No comment is just giving oxygen to this mess.

Perhaps the court and Princess Sofia think addressing the issue will prolong the story or raise more questions they're not ready to answer. With the christenings and National Day coming up, Princess Sofia's company will be temporarily forgotten.

My main issues are: the court fumbled the response and what does her company actually do? Prince CP's companies and the other royals' companies are clear in their activities.

I assume Sofia had savings/investments from her earnings as model, TV personality, yoga instructor, and co-founder of Project Playground. Also, whatever reimbursements she gets from the King's appanage is hers to do with as she pleases. The combined amount is probably enough to start a company.

How reliable is Svensk Damtidning? The part about Sofia thinking the appanage is too small sounds made up. It's reasonable for the relatives to plan for their financial future. Carl Philip, Sofia, their son Alexander, Madeleine, her children, and eventually Oscar will need to generate their own income. Sweden doesn't need many working royals.

I assume Sofia had savings/investments from her earnings as model, TV personality, yoga instructor, and co-founder of Project Playground. Also, whatever reimbursements she gets from the King's appanage is hers to do with as she pleases. The combined amount is probably enough to start a company.

How reliable is Svensk Damtidning? The part about Sofia thinking the appanage is too small sounds made up. It's reasonable for the relatives to plan for their financial future. Carl Philip, Sofia, their son Alexander, Madeleine, her children, and eventually Oscar will need to generate their own income. Sweden doesn't need many working royals.

Savings? Sofia's income from 2001 - 11 800 SEK, 2002 - 0 SEK, 2003 - 38 800 SEK, 2004 - 73 300 SEK and 2005 - 38 447 SEK. A person doesn't live with those, and certainly not can make savings.
http://kungensbiografi.eriksoderman.se/63.pdf
Then Sofia moved to New York, where she at least for some time according to the CV at the court website was studying, so she was working part time. If she had to pay the rent and for her food, she surely got no savings. And she visited Sweden many times a year, the flights also cost.
Sofia and Frida founded Project Playground in 2010 with their small savings, they have told in interviews.
According to Project Playground's Annual Report, PP didn't pay any salaries in 2010, and in 2011 they paid salaries 70 619 SEK (+ Sofia got some money as the member of the board). One doesn't live with that either or make savings.
http://www.project-playground.org/files/pdf filer/project playground årsredovisning 2011.pdf
In 2012 PP paid salaries, 673 300 SEK for on average two people. In 2013 1013 238 SEK for three people. And in 2014 912 259 SEK for three people.
http://www.project-playground.org/files/pdf filer/project playground årsredovisning 2013.pdf
http://www.project-playground.org/files/pdf filer/project playground årsredovisning 2014.pdf

The information in Svensk Damtidning that Sofia is working because the apanage is too small - that is Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson who says that as her opinion. Alexandersson and Aftonbladet TV have a collaboration broadcast "Kungligt med Jenny Alexandersson" with Svensk Damtidning.
Carl Philip and Sofia (and Madeleine) get money from the apanage as paid costs caused from their official royal work events. But because the court doesn't have to tell very thoroughly how the apanage is used, no one knows how much money Carl Philip and Sofia have got.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks LadyFinn :flowers:

I wasn't aware Sofia's income was published. Well, she was able to save something to contribute to Project Playground's creation. Her mystery company is in its infancy so costs could be low at the moment and seems to be primarily in services. No products or inventory yet. The palace address saves on office rental...

Are there any policies about royalty getting loans?

Somehow I doubt we'll ever get an explanation from Sofia about this. The court will do as they always do when it comes to Sofia -- they simply ignore displeasing questions until they just go away :ermm:
But this kind of acting makes you wonder that if there's nothing to hide, so why not give clear and honest answers and be done with this situation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom