General News about Prince Carl Philip & Princess Sofia, Part 1: June 2015 - June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I don't know about anyone else, but I find this odd. The fact that the renovations haven't even started yet makes me wonder why not. It seemed like perfect timing between the death of Princess Lillian and Carl Philip's wedding. Is it perhaps a matter of money?

:previous: I don't know about anyone else, but I find this odd. The fact that the renovations haven't even started yet makes me wonder why not. It seemed like perfect timing between the death of Princess Lillian and Carl Philip's wedding. Is it perhaps a matter of money?

I thinlk read that they need special pemissons as it is a older House where one needs special permissions for many changes. But i wonder why they can not stay in their present appartement unil Villa Solbacken is ready. Of course if they would get children it could be that there is not enough space anymore.

There is news about Villa Solbacken's renovations at this thread:
Villa Solbacken, Djurgården - Page 2 - The Royal Forums

About Svensk Damtidning's this week's article of Carl Philip and Sofia moving to the "Queen's Pavilion":
Villa Solbacken needs a total renovation and according to the court it will take several years and the renovation hasn't even started yet.
But SD can reveal that there is a solution to the problem: Another parade home is waiting for Carl Philip and Sofia. According to SD's sources they are going to move to the Queen's Pavilion, near the Rosendal Palace. It is a beautiful villa, and maybe the most "royal" at the whole Djurgården. It has 10 rooms, two terraces, a parade balcony and a bay window to the big garden. Besides, Carl Philip and Sofia chose Rosendal Palace as the place of their wedding interview. It was hardly a coincidence, says SD's source. The Queen's Pavilion is in great shape, it has been renovated inside from the floor to the roof.
Since 1990 the villa has been rented to family Wachtmeister: Claes, Mari and their children Andrea and Carl-Fredrik. Carl-Fredrik moved away in 2009 to "Lilla slottet" at Trolle Ljungby estate in Skåne, where he will one day take over the 1600’s castle, after count Hans-Gabriel Trolle-Wachtmeister and countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister (The Mistress of the Robes at the court). Hans-Gabriel is the brother of Carl-Fredrik's grandfather. And Andrea Wachtmeister doesn't according to SD's sources live at the Pavilion anymore. And also Claes and Mari have moved/are moving away.
SD has been in contact with the City Planning Office and asked for the floor plan of the Pavilion. They refer to the Royal Djurgården Administration, which is very secretive and conducts SD to the court press department. Almost always these kind of floor plans are public – if they aren't homes of the royals.

I have understood that the Rosendal Palace area is very popular recreation area, and that the Pavilion doesn't have big fences, but it is quite open to the public walking by. So if Carl Philip and Sofia would move there, it would probably need a lot of things to do for the security. And if they would live there only some years and move then to Villa Solbacken, the money would be wasted for only for some years.
Here is the air view of the Rosendal Palace and the Queen's Pavilion beside it:
http://www.slottsguiden.info/slott/3_3.jpg

Last edited:
I will sound brutal but I don't care: how many houses do they need? Gosh, the works "haven't even started yet"... it seems that the couple didn't make up their minds before the wedding! Surely the palace knew how the situation of the house was! The had one year to think about it!

I found an article in BUNTE, they refer to Expressen when saying that Villa Solbacken is probably full of asbestos. At least the couple have applied for some building permissions which are pointing in that direction. Asbestos makes refurbishment so much more complicated, so that may be one reason for the delay. On the other hand it seems an awful waste of money to refurbish Rosedalen and bring security up to scratch if they only plan to live there for a couple of years.
Sofia & Carl Philip von Schweden: Ihr neues Heim entpuppt sich als Albtraum | BUNTE.de

I found an article in BUNTE, they refer to Expressen when saying that Villa Solbacken is probably full of asbestos. At least the couple have applied for some building permissions which are pointing in that direction. Asbestos makes refurbishment so much more complicated, so that may be one reason for the delay. On the other hand it seems an awful waste of money to refurbish Rosedalen and bring security up to scratch if they only plan to live there for a couple of years.
Sofia & Carl Philip von Schweden: Ihr neues Heim entpuppt sich als Albtraum | BUNTE.de

The swedish press has written about asbestos in Villa Solbacken for a long time. And according to the swedish press Carl Philip applied for building permissions because he wants redo the floor plan and move walls inside the house and even put up new balconies. Villa Solbacken is classed as a modern k-listed building, green classification. This means that Carl Philip and Sofia now have to apply for every change they want to make outside and inside the house.

But if they move to this Queen's Pavilion with 10 rooms, would they want after that move to Villa Solbacken which has 7 rooms. Villa Solbacken is more private though than this Pavilion.

Last edited:
Thank for that information, LadyFinn.

That is a good question, would they want to move to the Solbacken after becoming used to a bigger villa? But if they don't see their future at Solbacken, then there is no need to change the floorplan and adding a balcony. They could just do it up properly and rent it out.

Where do Carl Philip and Sofia live now? I'm not 100% sure but are they living in an apartment in Stockholm? The Queen's Pavilion home at Rosendal Palace looks lovely but it seems like a questionable choice if they don't plan to stay there a long time especially if the home / property has to be altered to accommodate them living there. Is there not livable space in Drottningholm or Haga?

Where do Carl Philip and Sofia live now? I'm not 100% sure but are they living in an apartment in Stockholm? The Queen's Pavilion home at Rosendal Palace looks lovely but it seems like a questionable choice if they don't plan to stay there a long time especially if the home / property has to be altered to accommodate them living there. Is there not livable space in Drottningholm or Haga?

At the first post on this page I tell where Carl Philip and Sofia live, I have even posted a photo of the house.
Victoria (and later Daniel) lived in Drottningholm at the side building of Drottningholm Palace before they moved to the Haga Palace in November 2010.

Last edited:
:previous: Yes you did, sorry I forgot that you addressed my question.
I even clicked on the picture and went :yuk: at how dreary that house looks, hopefully their actual apartment is nicer. So if the story is true, Carl Philip and Sofia already live in Djurgården and will be moving to another property on the island.

ETA:
Actually the house is not dreary, just sorta basic. Also it looks like if you live on the backside you have a nice view of the water and the Stockholm skyline.

:previous: Yes you did, sorry I forgot that you addressed my question.
I even clicked on the picture and went :yuk: at how dreary that house looks, hopefully their actual apartment is nicer. So if the story is true, Carl Philip and Sofia already live in Djurgården and will be moving to another property on the island.

ETA:
Actually the house is not dreary, just sorta basic. Also it looks like if you live on the backside you have a nice view of the water and the Stockholm skyline.

Because Sofia's post address was public information until she married Carl Philip and became a member of the royal family, the house is the one they live.
Here's more photos
http://cdn.posh24.com/images/:compl...prins_carl_philip_sofia_hellqvist_flyttar.jpg
http://cdn.posh24.com/images/:compl...prins_carl_philip_sofia_hellqvist_flyttar.jpg

Aftonbladet met Carl Philip and Sofia at the yard of the house some days after they had moved there in 2011.
Här är deras nya drömhus _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I thinlk read that they need special pemissons as it is a older House where one needs special permissions for many changes. But i wonder why they can not stay in their present appartement unil Villa Solbacken is ready. Of course if they would get children it could be that there is not enough space anymore.
You have to love this forum. I asked a simple question and immediately I have a sound and sensible answer, the house is historic, probably needs special permits, also probably has asbestos.

Further, other posters have explained that the renovations will take years rather than months and consequently the Prince and Princess are looking at other accommodation.

Then comes the probable most likely home. The Queens Pavillion which has been renovated from the ground to the roof.

Thanks everyone.

Why can't Carl Philip & Sofia stay where they are until Solbacken is refurbished? They are not the Crown Prince couple; CP will not be king so they don't need a palace. If they have to entertain on behalf of the Crown the king can loan them the space. I read the Watchmeister's family are being put out to accommodate the Prince couple.

Why can't Carl Philip & Sofia stay where they are until Solbacken is refurbished? They are not the Crown Prince couple; CP will not be king so they don't need a palace. If they have to entertain on behalf of the Crown the king can loan them the space. I read the Watchmeister's family are being put out to accommodate the Prince couple.

We don't know why the Wachtmeisters moved/are moving away. If they are moving/have moved. We only have the article of Svensk Damtidning, and that isn't a court press release. Svensk Damtidning has made many big mistakes during the years, like that when their reporter claimed in 2010 that queen Silvia has Alzheimers and they had to make a big apology. If the Wachtmeisters are thinking about moving, it would seem reasonable. Maybe the Wachtmeisters think that 10 rooms is too much for two people over 60 years, now when their children have moved away.
But I agree, Carl Philip and Sofia could stay at the apartment they live now.

According to Expressen Carl Philip gave Sofia the day after the wedding a Rolex Date watch which has five diamonds and white gold and it costs about 70000 SEK. The watch has been seen on Sofia after the honeymoon, on their visit to Värmland and often after that.
Expressen called Margareta Thorgren who didn't want to comment about the clock and if it is Carl Philip's present after the wedding to Sofia.
Här är prinsens klock- rena gåva till Sofia _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

More photos of the Queen's Pavilion, taken yesterday
IBL Bildbyrå

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - 70000 SEK is over 8000 USD. What I don't get is why the press is intent on broadcasting how much the watch costs. The press did the same with Sofia's engagement ring. I don't recall the press doing this with Chris and Daniel when they gave gifts to Madeleine and Victoria.

@Lady Finn - 70000 SEK is over 8000 USD. What I don't get is why the press is intent on broadcasting how much the watch costs. The press did the same with Sofia's engagement ring. I don't recall the press doing this with Chris and Daniel when they gave gifts to Madeleine and Victoria.

And what gifts do you mean? The press has given estimated values of Victoria's and Madeleine's engagement rings, and wedding rings. The press wrote about the prize of Madeleine's Rolex watch which is possibly a gift from Chris. What gifts has Daniel given to Victoria? I don't remember that the press has written much from them because they don't know what Daniel has given to Victoria. Svensk Damtidning claimed to know that the Kreuger bracelet Victoria had for the first time on her birthday this year, is from Daniel, but didn't write about the prize, possibly because it isn't very expensive, with it's berlocks it costs less than 11000 SEK.

@Lady Finn - for their 5th wedding anniversary this year Daniel had a piece of artwork - multi media portrait of Estelle - commissioned and gave it to Victoria:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1101609749853724&id=338131216201585

Many commented, saying they didn't like the gift because Estelle looked like she was behind bars. I like it because it is unique: bling and houses as gifts are somewhat standard operating procedure for royal men (and non royal men with royal wives). Daniel is not wealthy, but his gift to me was very touching and thoughtful. Don't get me wrong jewelry is nice; but sometimes "it's the thought that counts" really holds true. Victoria knows she didn't marry a rich man on the same level as Chris and Carl Philip, but given what I've seen and read about her she appreciates any token Daniel gives her. I don't if he got a break because he's the future prince consort of Sweden, but I still impressed with the gift.

@Lady Finn - for their 5th wedding anniversary this year Daniel had a piece of artwork - multi media portrait of Estelle - commissioned and gave it to Victoria:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1101609749853724&id=338131216201585

Many commented, saying they didn't like the gift because Estelle looked like she was behind bars. I like it because it is unique: bling and houses as gifts are somewhat standard operating procedure for royal men (and non royal men with royal wives). Daniel is not wealthy, but his gift to me was very touching and thoughtful. Don't get me wrong jewelry is nice; but sometimes "it's the thought that counts" really holds true. Victoria knows she didn't marry a rich man on the same level as Chris and Carl Philip, but given what I've seen and read about her she appreciates any token Daniel gives her. I don't if he got a break because he's the future prince consort of Sweden, but I still impressed with the gift.

I thought you were talking about jewellery and watches, sorry. We don't know about Daniel's wealth and how much dividends he gets of his shares of his gyms and possible other companies he owns shares at. In February 2010 he got 833000 SEK as dividends of his shares at the Brasil Development. And Aftonbladet wrote that the value of his shares in different companies was over 20 million SEK. And the finnish press wrote that the future husband of the crown princess is a millionaire. The press hasn't written anything about that Daniel would have sold any of his shares.
Säger upp sig – tjänar storkovan _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

I agree, the portrait of Estelle was absolutely lovely, and the price of it isn't the most important thing. And Daniel or Marie-Louise Kold haven't said that it was the 5th anniversary gift to Victoria, just a portrait ordered by Daniel. About the possible price of the portrait of Estelle, which was 40x40 cm, you can see some of Marie-Louise Kold's work on sale at a gallery, with prices:
Marie-Louise Kold | JÄGER & JANSSON Galleri

But back to Carl Philip and Sofia:
Svensk Damtidning tells that the renovation of Villa Solbacken has finally started two weeks ago and Carl Philip and Sofia will not move to the Queen's Pavilion after all, they are waiting for the renovation of Villa Solbacken to be finished. We will see... on last week's issue Svensk Damtidning was sure that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to the Queen's Pavilion.
Renoveringen av Sofias och Carl Philips drömhus har börjat! _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - I wonder what happened with the Prince Couple's move? As I understand it, the palaces are under the control of the Swedish government and they are at the sovereign's disposal. In short, they don't belong to Carl Gustaf, except Solliden. Queen's Pavilion is part of Rosendal Palace property; therefore the state controls it too. I wonder if the government told the king Carl Philip & Sofia couldn't move in - or simply SD got it wrong from the beginning?

@Lady Finn - I wonder what happened with the Prince Couple's move? As I understand it, the palaces are under the control of the Swedish government and they are at the sovereign's disposal. In short, they don't belong to Carl Gustaf, except Solliden. Queen's Pavilion is part of Rosendal Palace property; therefore the state controls it too. I wonder if the government told the king Carl Philip & Sofia couldn't move in - or simply SD got it wrong from the beginning?

Almost right there - the castles are government property but at the disposal of the Royal family. It's the King who decides their use and who gets to live where.
I was a bit surprised about Carl-Philip and Sofia moving into the Queens pavilion since it's very accessible for the public and wouldn't give them much privacy at all without fencing off a bigger area than now. Let's not forget the criticism Victoria and Daniel got when them moving into Haga meant that part of the park had to be fenced off for safety and privacy reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

My thought would be that SD was looking for a story as there has been no update on the renovations at Solbacken until now.And we don't really have any confirmation from CP or the court if in fact the renovations are truly underway.

Stoppa pressarna quotes Expressen Extra
According to the court it has been decided that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to Villa Solbacken. But it will take time because the house resembles a now more a hovel than a castle of royal caliber.
- It's where Carl Philip and Sofia should move eventually. But there is no timetable for it, says the Thomas Norell from the court (I think he works at the at the National Property Board of Sweden) to Expressen Extra.
Last week the weekly press reported about how the prince couple could possibly move into the much more elegant villa, Queen's Pavilion. But that, according to the court, is not up to date.
- Any plans on the Queen's pavilion, I have not heard at all. A number of years ago, there were speculations and plans, both inside and outside the court, about where the royal children would settle after Victoria and Daniel had moved to the Haga Palace, says Norell.
That the renovation of Villa Solbacken is taking so long is partly because the prince couple and the people responsible for the project at the court are doubtful about the practical side.
- It's always like when you are planning a major reconditioning the need for reflection and to go through all the options and such I would imagine, says Norell.
Carl Philips och Sofias svåra dilemma _ Stoppa Pressarna

I was a bit surprised about Carl-Philip and Sofia moving into the Queens pavilion since it's very accessible for the public and wouldn't give them much privacy at all without fencing off a bigger area than now. Let's not forget the criticism Victoria and Daniel got when them moving into Haga meant that part of the park had to be fenced off for safety and privacy reasons.

Although Norell says that the move to the Queen's Pavilion hasn't been actual, maybe they spoke about that. If it wasn't thought as a possible house for royals, why didn't the City Planning Office give the floor plans of the Pavilion to Svensk Damtidning? And when Svensk Damtidning published the story, maybe the court and the National Property Board got some calls from people about that there would be fences built to the Park of the Rosendal Palace. And that Carl Philip owns Villa Solbacken, and the house in Ökenäs, why should the state give him a big villa to live in? He isn't the heir to the throne.
Because I'm sure that many people think like me - if Carl Philip and Sofia would have moved to the Queen's Pavilion, they would have never moved to Villa Solbacken from there.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Carl Philip and Sofia moving in Queen's Pavilion if that was their preference for a permanent home in Stockholm, I do have a problem with them moving in Queen's Pavilion and significant money being spent to make it ready for them, whether that be security and privacy upgrades and/or renovations, only to have them move out a few years later to another home.

I am confused about Villa Solbacken. Villa Solbacken, Queen's Pavilion and Carl Philip and Sofia's current apartment are all in Djurgården right? However Villa Solbaken is privately owned, first by Prince Bertil and now by Carl Philip (because Bertil left it to Carl Philip in his will) but other buildings on Djurgården like Queen's Pavilion and Rosendal Palace are government property with the King being the person who determines how those properties are used. Was Bertil given special permission to build a private home or are there portions of the island that are privately owned?

I am confused about Villa Solbacken. Villa Solbacken, Queen's Pavilion and Carl Philip and Sofia's current apartment are all in Djurgården right? However Villa Solbaken is privately owned, first by Prince Bertil and now by Carl Philip (because Bertil left it to Carl Philip in his will) but other buildings on Djurgården like Queen's Pavilion and Rosendal Palace are government property with the King being the person who determines how those properties are used. Was Bertil given special permission to build a private home or are there portions of the island that are privately owned?

There are many places on Djurgarden who are privately owned. Prince Eugen also had his own home there Valdemarsudde which is now a Museum.

Stoppa pressarna quotes Expressen Extra
According to the court it has been decided that Carl Philip and Sofia will move to Villa Solbacken. But it will take time because the house resembles a now more a hovel than a castle of royal caliber.
- It's where Carl Philip and Sofia should move eventually. But there is no timetable for it, says the Thomas Norell from the court (I think he works at the at the National Property Board of Sweden) to Expressen Extra.
Last week the weekly press reported about how the prince couple could possibly move into the much more elegant villa, Queen's Pavilion. But that, according to the court, is not up to date.
- Any plans on the Queen's pavilion, I have not heard at all. A number of years ago, there were speculations and plans, both inside and outside the court, about where the royal children would settle after Victoria and Daniel had moved to the Haga Palace, says Norell.
That the renovation of Villa Solbacken is taking so long is partly because the prince couple and the people responsible for the project at the court are doubtful about the practical side.
- It's always like when you are planning a major reconditioning the need for reflection and to go through all the options and such I would imagine, says Norell.
Carl Philips och Sofias svåra dilemma _ Stoppa Pressarna

Although Norell says that the move to the Queen's Pavilion hasn't been actual, maybe they spoke about that. If it wasn't thought as a possible house for royals, why didn't the City Planning Office give the floor plans of the Pavilion to Svensk Damtidning? And when Svensk Damtidning published the story, maybe the court and the National Property Board got some calls from people about that there would be fences built to the Park of the Rosendal Palace. And that Carl Philip owns Villa Solbacken, and the house in Ökenäs, why should the state give him a big villa to live in? He isn't the heir to the throne.
Because I'm sure that many people think like me - if Carl Philip and Sofia would have moved to the Queen's Pavilion, they would have never moved to Villa Solbacken from there.

Villa Solbacken is privately owned by CP, isn't it ? So why is the Court paying for the renovation and supervising the project?

General News about Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia, Part 1: June 2015 -

There are many places on Djurgarden who are privately owned. Prince Eugen also had his own home there Valdemarsudde which is now a Museum.

I have no idea what it's called in English but in Sweden we have something called "tomträtt" which means that you own the house but pay lease on the land on which the house (villa, semi detached, tenement etc...) stands on in perpetuity. Maybe this goes for the private houses on Djurgården?

Last edited:
@Lady Finn - I haven't read about any complaints towards the Prince Couple moving into the Queen's Pavilion, but I could understand it there were. Carl Philip is not heir apparent; he has livable properties of his own and a private source of income (the design business) he can use to pay the bills until Solbacken is ready. I wonder if there was a concern about tax dollars used to provide Sapo security and cover renovations when they are staying for a short period of time at QP.

Villa Solbacken is privately owned by CP, isn't it ? So why is the Court paying for the renovation and supervising the project?

The court isn't paying for the renovation, but financial director Jan Lindman is taking care of the renovation planning and practical things.

Expressen writes that there is still not any renovation plan with Villa Solbacken and it requires millions from Carl Philip's pocket. Jan Lindman, the financial director of the court, says that it is the prince's private property and the renovation isn't burdening the court. On January 30, Lindman sent documents to the City Planning regarding Villa Solbacken, the application forms for construction matters. The documents showed that there was extensive work to be done. Today - over eight months later - absolutely nothing has happened.
- No, that's right. We have not come forward right now in the process.
The house needs a total renovation and it is reportedly where the problem has occurred. The renovation must be paid by Carl Philip's and Sofia's private funds. The documents show that Carl Philip had wanted the construction to start already on 1 February.
- There is at the moment no timetable for the renovation. It is about a total interior and exterior renovation. Such elementary things as electricity and water must be reviewed and will almost certainly be renewed, says Lindman.
But it's been eight months?
- Yes, but it's been a busy year for the couple with a lot of work, engagement, wedding and then they wanted to enjoy the honeymoon. They have chosen to prioritize other areas than the renovation of the house this year. The couple wants to make a cozy and modern accommodation. But there is much to be done. They want to bring in the house's aesthetic values. It's a big house and a big project.
When they can move in?
- Impossible to say at the moment.
Are they thinking to ignore the renovation and sell the house?
- No, there are no such plans. The house will not be sold, said Lindman.
Recently Svensk Damtidning stated that the couple should move to the Queen's pavilion. But this is denied by Margareta Thorgren:
- No, that's not true. They will not move there.
Carl Philip och Sofia i bostadsdilemma _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom