General News about Carl Philip, Sofia and Family, Part 1: May 2016 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose they are gonna stay in the house owned by Sofia there... wasn't it in Cape Town?

I suppose they are gonna stay in the house owned by Sofia there... wasn't it in Cape Town?

Yes, I believe so. I guess then this visit is not in relation to project playground, otherwise the court may have published something about it or commented on it when asked.

Yes, I believe so. I guess then this visit is not in relation to project playground, otherwise the court may have published something about it or commented on it when asked.

Well, the court usually doesn't comment on private trips, etc but they tend to not comment also about things that are PP related...

If I remember correctly, most of Sofias appearances as part of PP were featured on the official website? (But Maybe memory fails me)

Last edited:
Svensk Damtidning wrote yesterday, that the very popular party website Stureplan.se will be closed. And with it disappears a lot of photos of Sofia, now there is the last chance to see them.
Efter beskedet_ Sista chansen att se unika bilderna på prinsessan Sofia _ Svensk Damtidning

Sofia's photos at Stureplan.
sofia hellqvist - travis - STUREPLAN.se

Relieved! Her party photos will be gone
Prinzessin Sofias wilde Vergangenheit _ Ihre Partybilder verschwinden _ GALA.de
That's pathetic

That's such a jerk article! I am probably one of those Americans who is more interested in Sofia than Madeleine but it is shameful that this article was even written and the premise seems to be based on the fact that Sofia, along with Silvia and Victoria, were mentioned in a People article and Madeleine wasn't. You can't even say that's low journalistic standards, that's no journalistic standard! Way to go Svensk Dam, aka Swedish Women, with pitting women against each other based on the flimsiest of fluff.

Last edited:
I guess these "journalists" write what sells not what is factual. I too think Sofia is doing a wonderful job in her role with SRF.

That's such a jerk article! I am probably one of those Americans who is more interested in Sofia than Madeleine but it is shameful that this article was even written and the premise seems to be based on the fact that Sofia, along with Silvia and Victoria, were mentioned in a People article and Madeleine wasn't. You can't even say that's low journalistic standards, that's no journalistic standard! Way to go Svensk Dam, aka Swedish Women, with pitting women against each other based on the
flimsiest of fluff.

Most popular aka what sells the most :bang:

Of course Madeleine is lowest on the spectrum. The queen and crown princess are always going to be the biggest news. And Sofia us the new one.

While Sofia is doing a good job, unfortunately the publicity stems not from her new role but the press attention she gets for her past. Her 'scandalous past' was and at times is still big news. This article was about popularity in the us. In reality, other than the British royals, most royals aren't household names. They become well known in general public when they make headlines. Madeleine was popular when she was a hot single Royal. Sofia's pictures have been out there for the world to see, and makes people want to see what she does.

Pathetic that a so called woman's magazine is putting women against each other

The family is in Cape Town, the swedish tourists saw them yesterday. The court said that it is a private trip and they will not comment it.
Sofia, prins Carl Philip och prins Alexander på semester _ Kungligt _ Expressen

This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you say " Prinsessan Sofia" with the inflected form of the word "prinsessa", but say "Prins Daniel" or "Kung Carl Gustaf " with the uninflected forms respectively of the words " Prins" and "Kung" ?

I would appreciate if a native speaker of Swedish could possibly clarify that for me please.

This may sound like a stupid question, but why do you say " Prinsessan Sofia" with the inflected form of the word "prinsessa", but say "Prins Daniel" or "Kung Carl Gustaf " with the uninflected forms respectively of the words " Prins" and "Kung" ?

I would appreciate if a native speaker of Swedish could possibly clarify that for me please.

What I know is, there is no logical explanation to this, but one expert says to Dagens Nyheter that it is due to old custom.

The custom has a historic background, and simplified it is possible to say that higher/nicer titles were in uninflected form, while lower titles in inflected form. In the past, men usually had higher status and titles then women, and that is why male titles often are inflected, while female titles often are in inflected form. The values behind this might be gone, but remains in the language.

However, we say Drottning Silvia, and not Drottningen Silvia. As always there are exceptions in language.

But from what I could see, it could also be because it's easier to say it this way.

Last edited:
interesting - i didn't know there was a difference in swedish regarding using one word or other when referring to titles. is this only in sweden, or do other scandinavian royal houses have similar language rules?

:previous: You mean like addressing people in third person?

That used to be very common in DK until around WWII or so, then it declined and is now mostly used jokingly. - Except for royals.
Example: In 1930 it would be very common to address a major business-owner's wife as say Mrs. Managing Director Hansen.

Today the DRF are however mostly addressed with formal You or with Your Royal Highness.
But they are always spoken about in third person, when say asking another royal.
Example: How do You think your wife, the Crown Princess manage...
But is still happens that say Mary is addressed like: Does the Crown Princess think...

That form of address to royals I understand is much more common in Sweden.

What I know is, there is no logical explanation to this, but one expert says to Dagens Nyheter that it is due to old custom.

The custom has a historic background, and simplified it is possible to say that higher/nicer titles were in uninflected form, while lower titles in inflected form. In the past, men usually had higher status and titles then women, and that is why male titles often are inflected, while female titles often are in inflected form. The values behind this might be gone, but remains in the language.

However, we say Drottning Silvia, and not Drottningen Silvia. As always there are exceptions in language.

But from what I could see, it could also be because it's easier to say it this way.

Interesting!

For those who don't understand Swedish titles:

K(on)ung, Drottning, Prins, Prinsessa = King, Queen, Prince, Princess
K(on)ungen, Drottningen, Prinsen, Prinsessan = the King, the Queen, the Prince, the Princess

interesting - i didn't know there was a difference in swedish regarding using one word or other when referring to titles. is this only in sweden, or do other scandinavian royal houses have similar language rules?

The Danish and Norwegian royal houses use Prinsesse Marie or Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra, not Prinsessen Marie or Prinsessen Ingrid Alexandra.

today madeleine attended a funeral with the king and queen in stockholm. since neither victoria nor CP attended, the press added that they were both out of the country with their respective families. does that mean that CP and sofia are still in south africa? if so, that seems like an extra long break as they left around xmas, no?

At least since New Years. They were spotted in South Africa on New Year's Day. So three weeks and counting if still there.

Is there any confirmation either couple is out of the country? Or simply speculation since they didn't attend a funeral?

Cp did miss the sports event on Monday, normally it is he who attends. Daniel went instead. Which further leads to speculation they are still away.

Last edited:
At least since New Years. They were spotted in South Africa on New Year's Day. So three weeks and counting if still there.

Is there any confirmation either couple is out of the country? Or simply speculation since they didn't attend a funeral?

Cp did miss the sports event on Monday, normally it is he who attends. Daniel went instead. Which further leads to speculation they are still away.

Daniel didn't attend at the Sports Gala instead of Carl Philip. That was falsely written by the press. Daniel would have been there, even though Carl Philip would have been there this year too. Daniel delivered GEN-PEP's Årets Peppare Prize, The Crown Princess Couple's Foundation is one of GEN-PEP's founders. GEN-PEP told at a press release already in mid-October, that Daniel will deliver a new prize at the Sports Gala. The Sports Gala is one of GEN-PEP's partners.

Well she did buy that apartment in South Africa right after the wedding. I would expect that she plans to spend a signigifcant amount of time there.

It's not that Daniel wouldn't have been there as well but this is CPs event. He doesn't simply attend. Since at least 2010 he has presented the Jerring award. I haven't looked back before 2010 but he has since until now.

As for the home, many royals have vacation homes, it was speculated they bought it for when she is there for her charity. But we have been told this was a private trip and there is no sign of any PP events. A three week and counting vacation, when CP misses one of the key events of his year, seems long.

Carl Philip and Sofia had dinner with their friends at Teatergrillen on Friday evening.
Sofias och Carl Philips barnfria kärleksmiddag i Stockholm _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Carl Philip and Sofia were following Vasaloppet, their friend was skiing.
Prins Carl Philip_ Blir inspirerad att vara med i Vasaloppet _ Aftonbladet

Sofia flew a couple of weeks ago with SAS to USA and Newark in New York, where she would greet a friend. Many were surprised that the Princess, who traveled with the name Sofia Bernadotte, checked into the economy class.
The staff at the airport reacted to this and upgraded however the princess, who had ordered special vegetarian food on the plane.
- She was very nice and had a very low profile. Sofia read a book and was a very calm passenger, tells a reporting person.
Prinsessan Sofias oväntade drag _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize she was a vegetarian. Interesting.

LaRae

Didn't realize she was a vegetarian. Interesting.

LaRae

She may not be. Many people order the vegetarian option on planes because it tends to be of better quality.

Ah gotcha. Just surprised (if she is Vegetarian) it hadn't come out previously.

LaRae

Also useful if one is watching one's weight/trying to get the baby weight off, too.

As far as I know, she used to be a vegetarian. I guess she realized that it would be hard to continue with that in her current role. So if I understand things correctly, she prefers vegetarian food, but she can eat chicken and fish. She tries to avoid red meat. Sounds pretty much like me, actually :)

interesting tidbit that she booked an economy ticket. (but was upgraded by the airline)

she may be vegetarian, although it is true that some people prefer the veggie option on planes due to quality / general healthy lifestyle / if they are on a diet.

i wonder if alexander travelled with her, although since the article does not mention him i guess he didn't go and she just visited a friend by herself. maybe an old friend from her days living in NYC?

Back
Top Bottom