Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But surely the main reason that Madeleine didn't give any interviews before ethe wedding is that she hates doing interviews and doesn't want to be a public figure at all. If she could have decided all by herself, I'm sure she wouldn't have allowed tv to broadcast her wedding.

I don't think Madeleine hates giving interviews, but she isn't as pushy as Miss Hellqvist. Madeleine and Chris gave an interview after the wedding. And since
Victoria and Daniel didn't give interviews to the press after their engagement press conference, maybe it was the court policy then. Victoria and Daniel gave interviews to two newspapers a month before the wedding and a couple of TV-interviews.
I agree with Duke of Marmalade. Being a public figure suits Madeleine very well, when she can self decide the timing. Madeleine wanted her wedding to be sent on TV. And Leonore's christening had a very large media coverage and shown on TV. Chris doesn't hate the media, he gave a press conference after Leonore was born and he celebrates at the most famous restaurants in Stockholm, although he knows that the press will be outside.
But the swedish royal court is certainly doing everything differently when Carl Philip and Sofia are concerned.

Last edited:
:previous:From what I have read, yes he still was with Emma. Makes one think that SH is one very smart person who sets out to get what she wants....a prince.

So Sofia is the hunter and Carl Philip is the victim to whom it all just happens?
It takes two to tango, and these two are tango-ing to their wedding - like it or not.

But surely the main reason that Madeleine didn't give any interviews before ethe wedding is that she hates doing interviews and doesn't want to be a public figure at all. If she could have decided all by herself, I'm sure she wouldn't have allowed tv to broadcast her wedding.

I see where you come from with that remark; I do think Madeleine has become a lot less media-glitzy and glamour-like since she split with Jonas Bergström. I think being with Chris has made her a lot more serious and possibly mature.

I disagree with that, but its off topic in this thread. IMO the only person who doesnt want to be a public person is Chris, not Madeleine.

Sofia desperately wants to be a public person, that's for sure.

I think Madeline just tries her best to juggle her background and new status as a plain Mrs..

As for Sofia, sure... whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, CP says 'it clicked right away'. What a shameful thing to say now, IF he was still with Emma at the time.

I totally agree. But they had the golden opportunity to correct the information the press has written, that they met for the first time in 2007 and then in 2008 - if it was wrong. They could have said "the information of us meeting already in 2007 or 2008 is totally wrong. We met for the first time in April 2009" (or some other time after Carl Philip had broken up with Emma. But they didn't say it.
But Emma has luckily gone further in her life, and has her own family now.

This thread has been cleaned up. Several comments were deleted. A reminder:

1. Don't insult each other.

2. Repetative posts will be deleted. No need to repeat again, again and again and again what you think. Most will have understood it the first time.

3. OT topics like 'commoners vs royals' or the delights or horrors of the Duchess of Cornwall will be deleted.

4. Comments with parallel truths and universes will be deleted. For example: people repeat again and again that the king is traumatized by CP not being the heir. A 'truth' that isn't one. Let's keep things realistic and not develop imaginary scenario's of what people may be thinking.

5. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. But no need to use words like 'disgusting' 'awful' etc. to refer to the people in question. There must be more clever ways to discuss the matter.

6. And again, most importantly: don't insult each other. If you feel the urge to call names etc.: don't! Take a break, you are taking this too seriously.

7. The Swedish mod. team has been rather patient. But since the engagement will take another year, the present way of debating can not continue. We will enforce the above requirements strictly. Ignoring them will lead to a deletion of a post and possibly to warnings or the revokation of posting rights. If you can't behave yourself: do not post in this thread!

- Note that any replies to this message will be deleted. If you have questions or remarks you can contact one of the Swedish moderators.

I disagree with that, but its off topic in this thread. IMO the only person who doesnt want to be a public person is Chris, not Madeleine.

Sofia desperately wants to be a public person, that's for sure.
And there are so many ways to be in the public eye, become an elected official, invent a medical miracle, do a reality tv show, go on a singing show and belt out a tune..........I know which one would be good for the new royal.........

The future Princess Sofia looks quite lovely in these photographs.

I was looking at their engagement photos, and I noticed he looks more manly. The engagement suits him

well if she is taking advantage of the situation we don't know at all, only both of them know what they really fell about the situation, has for Carl Philip I have no doubt he is in love... has for Sofia wait and see... but even if she doesn't love her she will do anything to keep in happy so the relation will work, love or not love the relation will just work fine...:whistling:

I was looking at their engagement photos, and I noticed he looks more manly. The engagement suits him

That is what I noticed as well, he seems more mature now. More self-confident.

Royals: So lieben und leben die Königshäuser | BUNTE.de

The Royal Bride To Be ... came across as a warm, smiling, happy girl, with her Prince beside her.

I know very little about Sofia, ...... as they say the past is another country, and we are all strangers there. In other words, their lives (Sofia and Carl Philip) started the day they met. Best foot forward, no looking back.

She makes him happy, they are a lovely couple. I like her, and hope she has good friends that will support her, with the many Royal duties she will be undertaking. As I mentioned before, she has the potential to be a real style Icon! Not to outshine Victoria, but to be part of a good team of sisters-in-law representing Sweden. I'm sure a glamorous stylish Sofia is yet to come.

Whether she is close to the two Royal sisters, we don't know, but she has the support of her future husband, where they will make a life for themselves and their children. The hurtful gossip can only make them stronger as a couple, which I'm sure it already has.

I'm sure we will get a Wedding Date soon; which will be very exciting; especially for all their friends and family!!

Last edited:
I think we're reading in far too much in the interview and making things up that aren't there. When Carl-Philip and Sofia says that something clicked the first time they met eachother doesn't necessarily have to mean that they fell head over heels in love at that time, it might mean just that, that something clicked between them and they had a really good time together. I'm sure everyone in here has met someone for the first time and felt an instant connection to that person, but it doesn't have to be in a romantic way. The fact that Carl-Philip was in a relationship with Emma Pernald and stayed with her for another year after meeting Sofia seems to point to that. (That also indicates to me that Sofia didn't set her sights on Carl-Philip and tried to become his girlfriend at that point, because if she had there would've been people spreading that information since)

The way I read the article (and I read the full interview in DT) they met and felt a connection, but since Carl-Philip was in a relationship with Emma (and I believe Sofia was also in a relationship at the time?) that was it. Later when Carl-Philip had broken up with Emma he came in contact with Sofia again and then the so-called "click" turned romantic.

I think we're reading in far too much in the interview and making things up that aren't there. When Carl-Philip and Sofia says that something clicked the first time they met eachother doesn't necessarily have to mean that they fell head over heels in love at that time, it might mean just that, that something clicked between them and they had a really good time together. I'm sure everyone in here has met someone for the first time and felt an instant connection to that person, but it doesn't have to be in a romantic way. The fact that Carl-Philip was in a relationship with Emma Pernald and stayed with her for another year after meeting Sofia seems to point to that. (That also indicates to me that Sofia didn't set her sights on Carl-Philip and tried to become his girlfriend at that point, because if she had there would've been people spreading that information since)

The way I read the article (and I read the full interview in DT) they met and felt a connection, but since Carl-Philip was in a relationship with Emma (and I believe Sofia was also in a relationship at the time?) that was it. Later when Carl-Philip had broken up with Emma he came in contact with Sofia again and then the so-called "click" turned romantic.

Good comment! And we all don't know how the relationship with Emma in the later stages was! It could be that it was already on the rocks.

Amen! I wanted to post something along similar lines earlier, but then the forum was offline.

Good comment! And we all don't know how the relationship with Emma in the later stages was! It could be that it was already on the rocks.

Exactly. Some posters say he should have stuck with Emma because according to them she had the proper profile, but perhaps personality-wise she was not the most proper person for him in the long run.
Sometimes one can be with someone for years without "serious" results and sometimes one only has to be with someone for a shorter time to know and feel that it's right.

Whether people like it or not Sofia is here to stay and she is going nowhere, we will just have to get used to it.

I think if the government had said no, Prince Carl Phillip would have married her anyway even if that meant giving up his title. Perhaps he made that clear before the government made a decision.

If Carl-Gustav can sit on the throne, I think Sofia can marry CP. :whistling:

Normally I wouldn't care about such a union, but I do wish them the best in their life together and I must say that the ring is gorgeous!
I'm honest, though. It leaves a bitter taste, when I think of all the royal members of the past who could not marry their loved ones. And also Daniel & Victoria, who had to wait for more than 10 years to be granted a permission. It's just unfair!

Wow, some of the comments on here are just vicious.
I really feel terrible for the entire royal family to have such comments directed at a family member and someone who is about to become a family member. I wonder, would people be so harsh if they were face to face with Carl-Philip and Sofia? I rather doubt it.
I congratulate the couple and wish them a long and happy life together.

Now we know so much more about Carl philip. After all ones spouse says a lot about one self. Im sure they fit perfectly together.

Normally I wouldn't care about such a union, but I do wish them the best in their life together and I must say that the ring is gorgeous!
I'm honest, though. It leaves a bitter taste, when I think of all the royal members of the past who could not marry their loved ones. And also Daniel & Victoria, who had to wait for more than 10 years to be granted a permission. It's just unfair!

There is little equity in life. Queen Sonja had to wait nine years to marry Harald. But, also, CP is not the heir to anything important, so it would be easier for him than Harald or Victoria. Yes, there is always hypocrisy. And, you are right plenty has taken place.

I wonder how all this is going down in Sweden so far. What do the people think?
This girl is certainly a great gift for the republicans!

I wonder how all this is going down in Sweden so far. What do the people think?
This girl is certainly a great gift for the republicans!

I'm not sure the people of Sweden are looking at this engagement has a bad thing as some are on here.

Wow, some of the comments on here are just vicious.
I really feel terrible for the entire royal family to have such comments directed at a family member and someone who is about to become a family member. I wonder, would people be so harsh if they were face to face with Carl-Philip and Sofia? I rather doubt it.
I congratulate the couple and wish them a long and happy life together.

All those opposed to the engagement would be fawning all over them if a face-to-face meeting took place. Then they would brag to all their friends that they had met them and then come back on this forum and rip them to shreds!

Maybe they are misinformed re Sofia. Or maybe you are. ;)

I think Dman means that the Swedish people don't frown upon this engagement like some posters on this forum do.

All those opposed to the engagement would be fawning all over them if a face-to-face meeting took place. Then they would brag to all their friends that they had met them and then come back on this forum and rip them to shreds!

I am "afraid" that you are very right in this. Hypocrisy galore would be the case.

I think Dman means that the Swedish people don't frown upon this engagement like some posters on this forum do.

Yes, that's what I meant. I think some of the Swedish people may think it's great that Prince Carl Philip has found some happiness with Sofia and there will be another royal wedding to look forward to now.

Back
Top Bottom