Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to the happy couple, I wish them a long and happy marriage!

At least the Swedes will get a Princess that is not shy of the press and won't mind the lime light. (One should always think in a positive way.) I'm certainly not impressed with Sophia's love for publicity, but since she's the one CP loves, it is only right for him to marry her. I really hope that she will work hard and become a worthy member of the Royal family.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/1890d31e1cabdd68400975a2dd3a836d/tumblr_n7u34iFpY91rvo6i7o1_500.png

"So it was this morning, at their country residence, as Carl Philip knelt and proposed to Sofia Hellqvist. - I was surprised and said so clearly yes. It feels really good and just right, finally, we become a team. Philip is the most humble person I’ve ever met and has one of the most beautiful hearts"

So it was today he proposed and today the announcement?
he must have got the kings approval beforehand right?

While I also think that the planning for this press conference was horrible, I do not think it's CP*s and Sofia's fault in any way. And as for the difference of how the engagements within the royal family have been handled, I think the answer is pretty easy.

Princess Madeleine has never wanted to be in the limelight (a biography of her recounts how she broke down in tears when she had to do her first representation event of her own) and after having gone through one engagement before, I understand why she and Chris would record a video that was sent out to the media. Also, Chris seem to be a very private person (remember the pictures where he gave the finger to the paparazzis?) and wouldn't have been comfortable doing a press conference a that time.

Victoria and Daniel got engaged in February, and to do a press conference outside would've been madness. Also, Victoria has always been very keen on following tradition and since her parents announced their engagement by inviting to a press conference where they sat in a sofa, why shouldn't she?

As for Carl-Philip and Sofia, granted that the weather wasn't great in Stockholm today, but why not do the press conference outside if it's summer? And Sofia would've gotten as much questions even if they had had a more organized press conference in-doors, so I don't really understand all the comments about her always wanting to be in the spotlight.

I totally agree. This young couple is obviously in love and have been for a long time. I'm sure that any arrangements were made by the SRF,and not by Sofia.

"I would not have made the choices today, there is one thing that is for sure. I find it hard to say that I regret anything in my life. I did not think I would have to sit here in the end and defend my choices in life. It is such a small part of my life these pictures. There are two occasions of my life. And I have done so much more. It is unfortunately our society looks like." - Sofia

Two things- one what is the Marshall of the realm, and two, why is everyone unhappy with Carl's choice? I don't follow this family much.

We must not forget that Mette-Marit also had a dubious past and married the heir to the throne of Norway. Sofia participated in a reality show but didn't do anything serious, I think the Swedes will accept and respect. The monarchy of Sweden is still very popular. :)

Well I'm not very happy about this ( I'm swedish) But I hope they are... (

Since you are a Swede, what seems to be the attitude of regular citizens toward SH? Sorry, but I simply do not trust the media there. They have sprinkled so much stardust on SH and her background that it is almost comical.

Many people seem to be not quite happy about this engagement.
Personally I have to say that Carl Phillip and Sofia look quite happy (and in love) in pictures. And if the Prince really loves this girl, I think he made the best decision. In the end love is all that matters. That's my opinion.

How on earth is the delay and bad press business sofia's fault she didn't arrange this. The swedish royal's seem to have very bad press help. I wish the couple all the best. As for Sofia speaking it's her engagment surely she can speak and be happy.

That would explain the press mess it wasn't planned until today this morning. Sofian had nothing to do with it.

I wish them all the happiness and joy in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope that Carl Philip would know the royal etiquette better. There is a regime to follow, which has been seen work before and would have worked now. The press release should have been send beforehand, and the press meeting should have been arranged properly. One should not try to outshine the heir of the throne. In his position Carl Philip should have had a very small press conference. Normally there is time between the proposal and the day the engagement is announced to give family members time to fix things. Since it is summer, it could well be that Victoria and Daniel were already in Öland. And one should not announce these kind of things on birthdays or anniversaries of other family members. Carl Philip doesn't seem to be interested in these kind of things.

I think we all see that coming, and I think she really deserves a chance, she's been working very hard to fit in and to prove herself! I wish them the best of luck and the most of happiness!

Congratulations to the happy couple.

"I would not have made the choices today, there is one thing that is for sure. I find it hard to say that I regret anything in my life. I did not think I would have to sit here in the end and defend my choices in life. It is such a small part of my life these pictures. There are two occasions of my life. And I have done so much more. It is unfortunately our society looks like." - Sofia
And she is absolutely right. We all make ''mistakes'' and choices in our teens you would probably frown upon later in life. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not fond of the bride to be, and am not thrilled with the engagement. But, if they are determined to marry, I hope it is a good marriage, a happy marriage and if children arrive, then it's a happy, healthy family for them all.

I wish them all the best on a personal level. But what a joke this is.

The ring
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

What an earth is this, they call the press to be there 16.30, they wait and wait. Carl Philip and Sofia walk at the courtyard. The press waits. Then the press is taken through the palace to other side of the Palace and now the press is bossied what they can do and what they can not do. And the press waits. Lousy PR from the court.
Way too much fuss. Much more fuss than at the engagement of crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel.

Sometimes the King acts as if, in his mind, Carl Philip is still the crown prince, as opposed to Victoria.

Well, at least HM and the government finally gave their consent to the marriage. Although the bride is less than ideal, it makes sense: a prince of Sweden should not live together with someone who is not legally married to him.

They only got engagement this morning? I wonder why there was such a rush to announce it. No wonder the disorder.

My cousins in Sweden do not like Sofia. They think her past is too undignified to be a princess. They also did not like Daniel at first (although not as much as Sofia), but they do like him now. They are lukewarm on the king, like the Queen and very much like Victoria. I don't know how representative their views are.

But all we can do now is wish CP and Sofia the very best and hope they have a happy and stable marriage.

Chris O'Neill is a member of the family, not of the Royal Family. He's a private person. His birthday is irrelevant for Court events.

Congratulations to the couple! I don't like at all Sofia, but if they love each other, that's all matter. All wish them all the best.

If this is what he wants I wish him well. Personally, I would have preferred Emma but it's not my life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Chris O'Neill is a member of the family, not of the Royal Family. He's a private person. His birthday is irrelevant for Court events.

Yes he is a private person but as a member of the Bernadotte family, as a member of any family really, it is very inconsiderate to to announce ones engagement on the same day as some one else's 40th birthday....the king said the family will celebrate the engagement tonight....so the family will be celebrating them,thus it seems that more importance is given to them rather than chris family wise

Sometimes the King acts as if, in his mind, Carl Philip is still the crown prince, as opposed to Victoria.

Well, at least HM and the government finally gave their consent to the marriage. Although the bride is less than ideal, it makes sense: a prince of Sweden should not live together with someone who is not legally married to him.

Can I ask why you say so? His sisters both did it...for years. So did Prince William in Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Prince Haakon of Norway.

Just curious, that's all.

Congratulations to the couple! I don't know anything about Sofia but she and Carl look very happy together- I wish them all the best.

Back
Top Bottom