Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are any pictures available?

I can't believe my eyes, the king and queen come to the group photo with them. Why? They made the awkward video with Victoria and Daniel, and nothing with Madeleine and Chris.
And now the king and queen are talking and babbling with the press and praising Sofia? Why they are treating Carl Philip and Sofia so differently than Victoria and Daniel? Because the king wanted Carl Philip to be the heir...

That last sentence sums it all up!

Congrats to the couple. I look forward to the wedding. I really hope they don't get married in June as well. The Swedes need a new wedding month, June is over used!

they have both left and the queen and the king are still there, is that normal?

I'm not puzzled by the engagement but about the exaggeration of the whole thing... and I guess it's because CP is the only son

Congratulations to Carl Philip and Sofia! I hope they have many, many years of happiness together.

I hope that they get their happy ending, after all of this time and all the talking and different opinions, it would be really good to see that it was worth it.

I think this sums it up best.

That last sentence sums it all up!

Congrats to the couple. I look forward to the wedding. I really hope they don't get married in June as well. The Swedes need a new wedding month, June is over used!

It's kind of a nice family tradition though- marrying in June.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Are any pictures available?

Someone else can post the photos, I will not post any photos of the couple.
I'm extremely sad and worried about the future of the royal family. And I'm worried about the relationships inside the royal family.
And the court made extremely lousy work today. By keeping the press waiting and running through the Palace.
When Victoria and Daniel got engaged, the press was called to a press conference which started on time and no one had to wait.

But this is a very good example of Sofia using the media. She wanted a "free" event where she can speak as much as she will.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Prince Carl Philip and Sofia. I wish them all the best!

It's ridiculous the way some people act towards them. Seriously, if you don't like them, stay away of the threads about them.

But they are a happy couple who don't give a damn about bitter people at TRF.

Maybe the King and Queen have a more forgiving nature about her past than many people on this board and maybe they just want their children to be happy with their partners. After all being a good parent (and leader) means being supportive, understanding and loving.

As for the couple going out to the courtyard to wave...it would have been kind of rude not to since there were people gathered there. Imagine the backlash if they hadn't. This couple is damned if they do and damned if they don't for a lot of people.

I'm of the opinion of give her a chance to be happy and support her husband and the crown. If she fails, then people can beat her up like a piñata.

I said it was going to happen and here we are.

I wil pretend I'm happy and that she is the most suitable royal bride since she can't be criticised here

Someone else can post the photos, I will not post any photos of the couple.
I'm extremely sad and worried about the future of the royal family. And I'm worried about the relationships inside the royal family.
And the court made extremely lousy work today. By keeping the press waiting and running through the Palace.
When Victoria and Daniel got engaged, the press was called to a press conference which started on time and no one had to wait.

But this is a very good example of Sofia using the media. She wanted a "free" event where she can speak as much as she will.

I think that's overblown. Victoria is the heir and the future, and she's immensely popular. I think the monarchy is totally secure.

The family seems to like Sofia, and she's done good work with Project Playground. I imagine she'll do very well as Princess Sofia.

Scandinavian Royals. ‏@crownprincely 15 min

Prince Carl Philip proposed to Sofia this morning she said that "she was very shocked but happy."

Everything was very fast it seems

And Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Varmland has such a nice ring to it!

I bet this is a fun wedding to watch. Hope Sofia wears the Connaught, or maybe one of the fringes.

While I also think that the planning for this press conference was horrible, I do not think it's CP*s and Sofia's fault in any way. And as for the difference of how the engagements within the royal family have been handled, I think the answer is pretty easy.

Princess Madeleine has never wanted to be in the limelight (a biography of her recounts how she broke down in tears when she had to do her first representation event of her own) and after having gone through one engagement before, I understand why she and Chris would record a video that was sent out to the media. Also, Chris seem to be a very private person (remember the pictures where he gave the finger to the paparazzis?) and wouldn't have been comfortable doing a press conference a that time.

Victoria and Daniel got engaged in February, and to do a press conference outside would've been madness. Also, Victoria has always been very keen on following tradition and since her parents announced their engagement by inviting to a press conference where they sat in a sofa, why shouldn't she?

As for Carl-Philip and Sofia, granted that the weather wasn't great in Stockholm today, but why not do the press conference outside if it's summer? And Sofia would've gotten as much questions even if they had had a more organized press conference in-doors, so I don't really understand all the comments about her always wanting to be in the spotlight.

Congratulation to the couple. I think that during past years Sofia made all her best to deserve her place in the royal family.

they have both left and the queen and the king are still there, is that normal?

Some of the press wanted to do a separate interview with the queen and king, I guess that's why they stayed.

The king should treat his children equally at one of the most important events in their lives. It is sad to see that he can't do it.

I don't think this marriage endangers the future of the Swedish Royal family and the monarchy.
Carl Philip is not the heir and his bride deserves a chance.
I hope the Swedes will respect the choice of the Prince.

^Well, from what I've seen of Chris, I'm pretty sure he'd much rather celebrate his birthday in private and not have media discussing it, so I think he'll welcome the engagement happening on his birthday.

He might be one for the Princess Anne (uk) school-of-thought "it has nothing to do with me" :lol:

Hurray!
Congratulations to them!:swedenflag::swedenstandard::king2::queen2::onering::onering::rose::rose::heart2::heart2::fireworks::fireworks:

Back
Top Bottom