The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiana View Post
They only got engagement this morning? I wonder why there was such a rush to announce it. No wonder the disorder.

My cousins in Sweden do not like Sofia. They think her past is too undignified to be a princess. They also did not like Daniel at first (although not as much as Sofia), but they do like him now. They are lukewarm on the king, like the Queen and very much like Victoria. I don't know how representative their views are.

But all we can do now is wish CP and Sofia the very best and hope they have a happy and stable marriage.
well i could think of one thing that would explain the rush, but that really would be a crisis!!
Anyway if they are happy then I'm happy for them, whether they will be a good thing for Sweden and the Royal Family, only time will tell.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Commoner

Is weird that nobody in the family has made a statement yet?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Since you are a Swede, what seems to be the attitude of regular citizens toward SH? Sorry, but I simply do not trust the media there. They have sprinkled so much stardust on SH and her background that it is almost comical.
The Swedes who are happy about the announcement are in a minority I dare say, speaking from my personal view. There is a lot of secrecy about Sofia's past, she has in no way endured the media-scrutiny Daniel had to. But now that can't be avoided since she is officially on her way to the altar with Carl-Philip. I hope she does a tell-all about her past before the press start digging is all I have to say (especially the foreign press).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
But what a joke this is.
I couldn't agree with you more.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Courtier

Well, he's 35, so he probably wants kids at this point. She... is what she is. But he's down the line at this point and it was probably decided to not care who he married because she will have no real influence other than a title and the swag.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Sofia and Carl Philip have chosen a very, very difficult path. We will see sooner than later if they are mature, secure and in love enough to stand all the critique that all the royals face every day of their lifes (I am not even considering the increase of critique her past occupations might / will cause).
Old 06-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Majesty

Well, I guess it was inevitable. As someone pointed out, it's inappropriate in the long run for a Swedish Prince to live (and perhaps eventually have children) with a woman whom he is not married to.

The problem with Miss Hellqvist is that she to this day is better known for being undressed in the eyes of the public, and certainly to the foreign public, than for any accomplishments she has made while being dressed.
The coverage by the Danish tabloid Ekstra Bladet is typical: Ekstra Bladet - Paradise Hotel-deltager bliver svensk prinsesse (Don't worry she practically dressed in these photos).

That's a pity, she's had several years to promote herself as serious princess-materiel, which would outweigh her past. Unfortunately I haven't noticed much in that respect.

Whatever. Her popularity or rather her general standing in the eyes of the public can really only go one way from here - up.
The odds are stacked against her and the expectations of her are low, so that will be her advantage.
If Carl Phillp and Sofia will be happy together, I can be happy. So congratulations from me. - And there is one thing I do admire about her: Her guts.
Because she will constantly be compared to Victoria and Daniel, not least Daniel, even though he is a man. That's a pretty daunting prospect!
Her nude photos will also be a constant companion in Sweden and everywhere else for many years to come and whenever she makes mistakes, and she will make mistakes, she will be knocked on the head is the "bimbo from Paradise Hotel".
I'm glad I'm not in her shoes!

ADDED: A closer look at the engagement ring: http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bil...?itok=bepFjtmw
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congrats
Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

... why the press has always questioned Dan and Chris and praised this girl is beyond me really! At least she should not receive a title, which I fear she will... I don't buy the story that he proposed today because she was "all ready". (Dress, hair, manucure). About Carl Philip's sisters: I think they are calming down before releasing any polite message of congratulations. Especially Madde who might be eager to celebrate her husband's birthday....
Old 06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But Daniel had also his own apartment the whole time. And according to the swedish press, Daniel stayed at his own home when Victoria was on her work trips.

The king at the interview to the queen: You came this morning from Brazil? The queen corrects: From Washington. :
Aftonbladet TV: Kungens galna glädjefnatt

I'm still confused why they chose this day to announce the engagement - the queen has just been on a three day trip to different time zone, in Washington and must be tired... Why they had such a hurry?
This is the part I don't understand either, most other royal couples are delighted to be able to have a few dys or weeks engaged without making it public. Here it seems to be that they can't wait for everyone to know the news, as if its not real until the public know. There's something rather superficial about that to me!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I for one want to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. Yes she has done some questionable things in years past. It's done, she can't erase it. I hope for the sake of the Swedish people that she gets stuck into patronages and duties and shows her worth.

Carl Philip obviously loves her and has faith that their relationship can last the tests that will undoubtedly come.

So I will wish them congratulations and watch their story unfold with great interest!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
I hadn't said anything cos this engagement is not my business and he can marry whoever he wants... But what the hell is the scene on the balcony????
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Courtier

This scene on the balcony literally cries Victory! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok_kym View Post
I hadn't said anything cos this engagement is not my business and he can marry whoever he wants... But what the hell is the scene on the balcony????
The scene on the balcony was totally inappropriate. Carl Philip forgot his position and the royal etiquette. Nothing like that to either of her sisters. I just can't understand why the king allowed it.

Official photos
http://www.kungahuset.se/pressrum/pr...magesOnly=true
Old 06-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

What's wrong with the balcony picture?

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I quite like the balcony picture - nothing nicer than a royal on a balcony!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
The scene on the balcony was totally inappropriate. Carl Philip forgot his position and the royal etiquette. Nothing like that to either of her sisters. I just can't understand why the king allowed it.

Official photos
Pressbilder Prins Carl Philip - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
The balcony belongs to the wedding! Why at the engagement? Are they so desperate to sell her as the perfect Princess?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah congrats to them, a handsome couple. Of course I also am happy because it pisses certain people off on this board. But it's sad that now all 3 of the children will be married.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Looks like the appearance on the balcony was pretty much out of happiness than anything else.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Isn't it obvious why the King allowed it ?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I can't believe my eyes, the king and queen come to the group photo with them. Why? They made the awkward video with Victoria and Daniel, and nothing with Madeleine and Chris.
And now the king and queen are talking and babbling with the press and praising Sofia? Why they are treating Carl Philip and Sofia so differently than Victoria and Daniel? Because the king wanted Carl Philip to be the heir...
Agree 100%!!!
This whole thing is a joke, so un-classy and amateur-ish.
I think behind closed doors this family is a mess.

The balcony scene sums it up for me, so tasteless
http://38.media.tumblr.com/13ff94517...so8ko1_500.jpg

Tags
controversy, engagement, prince carl philip