The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I wish them all the best on a personal level. But what a joke this is.
I fully agree.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Commoner

They only got engagement this morning? I wonder why there was such a rush to announce it. No wonder the disorder.

My cousins in Sweden do not like Sofia. They think her past is too undignified to be a princess. They also did not like Daniel at first (although not as much as Sofia), but they do like him now. They are lukewarm on the king, like the Queen and very much like Victoria. I don't know how representative their views are.

But all we can do now is wish CP and Sofia the very best and hope they have a happy and stable marriage.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Commoner

I think it's kinda rude to announce it on Chris's Birthday!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Chris O'Neill is a member of the family, not of the Royal Family. He's a private person. His birthday is irrelevant for Court events.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Gentry

Congratulations to the couple! I don't like at all Sofia, but if they love each other, that's all matter. All wish them all the best.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

If this is what he wants I wish him well. Personally, I would have preferred Emma but it's not my life.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Chris O'Neill is a member of the family, not of the Royal Family. He's a private person. His birthday is irrelevant for Court events.
Yes he is a private person but as a member of the Bernadotte family, as a member of any family really, it is very inconsiderate to to announce ones engagement on the same day as some one else's 40th birthday....the king said the family will celebrate the engagement tonight....so the family will be celebrating them,thus it seems that more importance is given to them rather than chris family wise
Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Sometimes the King acts as if, in his mind, Carl Philip is still the crown prince, as opposed to Victoria.

Well, at least HM and the government finally gave their consent to the marriage. Although the bride is less than ideal, it makes sense: a prince of Sweden should not live together with someone who is not legally married to him.
Can I ask why you say so? His sisters both did it...for years. So did Prince William in Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Prince Haakon of Norway.

Just curious, that's all.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations to the couple! I don't know anything about Sofia but she and Carl look very happy together- I wish them all the best.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Gentry

urghhhhhhh terrible news, and on the same day Chris Birthday....i can't
Old 06-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Arent Chris and Madeleine back in New York now? So the royal fmaily would not be gathering to celebrate his 40th anyway.

All seems so rushed if he proposed this morning why make the annoucement this afternoon - normally there are a few days between engagement and press release to organise things. I am not a fan of Sofia - personally i think CP and Emma made a lovely couple for the 10 years they were together. However as much as i dont think she is a suitable bride or royal i do congratulate the couple and hope the marriage lasts. The swedish royal family do not need a marriage that is full of scandal or divorce.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Can I ask why you say so? His sisters both did it...for years. So did Prince William in Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Prince Haakon of Norway.

Not to mention Prince Charles of the UK
Old 06-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Nobility

I have no strong opinion about Hellqvist, but I wanted to make something clear. Firstly, this forum is surely not intended to only praise individuals (more specifically, their fashion sense or lack thereof). Secondly, Swedes absolutely have the right to judge Hellqvist and her past and Carl Philip's choice; whether they judge them right or wrong is their business. Carl Philip's job is to represent Sweden and Swedes, as will be the job of his wife. Choosing a wrong person for the job is certainly something the Swedes have the right to be upset about. I am not saying that they are upset, but some posters here claim this relationship/engagement/marriage is none of their business. It is.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

But Daniel had also his own apartment the whole time. And according to the swedish press, Daniel stayed at his own home when Victoria was on her work trips.

The king at the interview to the queen: You came this morning from Brazil? The queen corrects: From Washington. :
http://tv.aftonbladet.se/webbtv/nyhe...rticle45800.ab

I'm still confused why they chose this day to announce the engagement - the queen has just been on a three day trip to different time zone, in Washington and must be tired... Why they had such a hurry?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

It is not "princely" to move in together with an unmarried partner. That applies to CP, to his sisters, to Haakon, and to any other royals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I have no strong opinion about Hellqvist, but I wanted to make something clear. Firstly, this forum is surely not intended to only praise individuals (more specifically, their fashion sense or lack thereof). Secondly, Swedes absolutely have the right to judge Hellqvist and her past and Carl Philip's choice; whether they judge them right or wrong is their business. Carl Philip's job is to represent Sweden and Swedes, as will be the job of his wife. Choosing a wrong person for the job is certainly something the Swedes have the right to be upset about. I am not saying that they are upset, but some posters here claim this relationship/engagement/marriage is none of their business. It is.
In theory, the government represents the Swedish people (or, at least, a plurality thereof). The fact that the government consented to the marriage as required by law signals that the representatives of the Swedish people believe she can do the job.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I congratulate them on their engagement and look forward to another Swedish royal wedding, which is always a fun and joyous occasion. I have googled the bride to be and found, thankfully, most of the photos of her fully clothed and looking very nice. Regrettably, there are more photos of her in a swimming costume than there are of Carl Philip....

I would only add that I will brace myself for when Prince Harry gets engaged, I have a feeling he and Carl Philip are quite similar in many ways.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video:
Press Conference: Royal Family-
Presskonferens: Kungahuset | SVT Play

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

on the balcony
http://38.media.tumblr.com/13ff94517...so8ko1_500.jpg
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness