The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Congratulations to the happy couple, I wish them a long and happy marriage!

At least the Swedes will get a Princess that is not shy of the press and won't mind the lime light. (One should always think in a positive way.) I'm certainly not impressed with Sophia's love for publicity, but since she's the one CP loves, it is only right for him to marry her. I really hope that she will work hard and become a worthy member of the Royal family.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

http://37.media.tumblr.com/1890d31e1...o6i7o1_500.png

"So it was this morning, at their country residence, as Carl Philip knelt and proposed to Sofia Hellqvist. - I was surprised and said so clearly yes. It feels really good and just right, finally, we become a team. Philip is the most humble person Iíve ever met and has one of the most beautiful hearts"

So it was today he proposed and today the announcement?
he must have got the kings approval beforehand right?

Old 06-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icea View Post
While I also think that the planning for this press conference was horrible, I do not think it's CP*s and Sofia's fault in any way. And as for the difference of how the engagements within the royal family have been handled, I think the answer is pretty easy.

Princess Madeleine has never wanted to be in the limelight (a biography of her recounts how she broke down in tears when she had to do her first representation event of her own) and after having gone through one engagement before, I understand why she and Chris would record a video that was sent out to the media. Also, Chris seem to be a very private person (remember the pictures where he gave the finger to the paparazzis?) and wouldn't have been comfortable doing a press conference a that time.

Victoria and Daniel got engaged in February, and to do a press conference outside would've been madness. Also, Victoria has always been very keen on following tradition and since her parents announced their engagement by inviting to a press conference where they sat in a sofa, why shouldn't she?

As for Carl-Philip and Sofia, granted that the weather wasn't great in Stockholm today, but why not do the press conference outside if it's summer? And Sofia would've gotten as much questions even if they had had a more organized press conference in-doors, so I don't really understand all the comments about her always wanting to be in the spotlight.
I totally agree. This young couple is obviously in love and have been for a long time. I'm sure that any arrangements were made by the SRF,and not by Sofia.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

"I would not have made the choices today, there is one thing that is for sure. I find it hard to say that I regret anything in my life. I did not think I would have to sit here in the end and defend my choices in life. It is such a small part of my life these pictures. There are two occasions of my life. And I have done so much more. It is unfortunately our society looks like." - Sofia
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
http://37.media.tumblr.com/1890d31e1...o6i7o1_500.png

"So it was this morning, at their country residence, as Carl Philip knelt and proposed to Sofia Hellqvist. - I was surprised and said so clearly yes. It feels really good and just right, finally, we become a team. Philip is the most humble person Iíve ever met and has one of the most beautiful hearts"
What a beautiful tribute to her fiance!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Two things- one what is the Marshall of the realm, and two, why is everyone unhappy with Carl's choice? I don't follow this family much.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

We must not forget that Mette-Marit also had a dubious past and married the heir to the throne of Norway. Sofia participated in a reality show but didn't do anything serious, I think the Swedes will accept and respect. The monarchy of Sweden is still very popular. :)
Old 06-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well I'm not very happy about this ( I'm swedish) But I hope they are... (
Since you are a Swede, what seems to be the attitude of regular citizens toward SH? Sorry, but I simply do not trust the media there. They have sprinkled so much stardust on SH and her background that it is almost comical.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Many people seem to be not quite happy about this engagement.
Personally I have to say that Carl Phillip and Sofia look quite happy (and in love) in pictures. And if the Prince really loves this girl, I think he made the best decision. In the end love is all that matters. That's my opinion.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

A model royal wedding to break the mould: Sweden's playboy prince Carl Philip to marry ex-glamour model girlfriend next summer | Mail Online

Old 06-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness

How on earth is the delay and bad press business sofia's fault she didn't arrange this. The swedish royal's seem to have very bad press help. I wish the couple all the best. As for Sofia speaking it's her engagment surely she can speak and be happy.

That would explain the press mess it wasn't planned until today this morning. Sofian had nothing to do with it.

I wish them all the happiness and joy in the world.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just hope that Carl Philip would know the royal etiquette better. There is a regime to follow, which has been seen work before and would have worked now. The press release should have been send beforehand, and the press meeting should have been arranged properly. One should not try to outshine the heir of the throne. In his position Carl Philip should have had a very small press conference. Normally there is time between the proposal and the day the engagement is announced to give family members time to fix things. Since it is summer, it could well be that Victoria and Daniel were already in ÷land. And one should not announce these kind of things on birthdays or anniversaries of other family members. Carl Philip doesn't seem to be interested in these kind of things.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Ok, after seeing those pictures, I can understand why there was controversy.
Nothing vile, but still - I must say that if Prince of Sweden showed up and proposed to me, then i'd be shocked too.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Nobility

I think we all see that coming, and I think she really deserves a chance, she's been working very hard to fit in and to prove herself! I wish them the best of luck and the most of happiness!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congrats to the couple, I am very happy for them.
Courtier

Congratulations to the happy couple.
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
"I would not have made the choices today, there is one thing that is for sure. I find it hard to say that I regret anything in my life. I did not think I would have to sit here in the end and defend my choices in life. It is such a small part of my life these pictures. There are two occasions of my life. And I have done so much more. It is unfortunately our society looks like." - Sofia
And she is absolutely right. We all make ''mistakes'' and choices in our teens you would probably frown upon later in life. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

I'm not fond of the bride to be, and am not thrilled with the engagement. But, if they are determined to marry, I hope it is a good marriage, a happy marriage and if children arrive, then it's a happy, healthy family for them all.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I wish them all the best on a personal level. But what a joke this is.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The ring
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

What an earth is this, they call the press to be there 16.30, they wait and wait. Carl Philip and Sofia walk at the courtyard. The press waits. Then the press is taken through the palace to other side of the Palace and now the press is bossied what they can do and what they can not do. And the press waits. Lousy PR from the court.
Way too much fuss. Much more fuss than at the engagement of crown princess Victoria and prince Daniel.
Sometimes the King acts as if, in his mind, Carl Philip is still the crown prince, as opposed to Victoria.

Well, at least HM and the government finally gave their consent to the marriage. Although the bride is less than ideal, it makes sense: a prince of Sweden should not live together with someone who is not legally married to him.

Tags
controversy, engagement, prince carl philip