The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM
Courtier

I think I will have to watch the whole engagement video cause the small clip I have seen yesterday on TV actually made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Sofia was gesticulating a lot to show her ring to the press and demonstrating with her hands how much she loved CP accompanied with some body moves. It was a bit bizarre to say the least.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Further discussions about royals marrying non-royals/nobles/royals can be posted here.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's a beautiful thing to see two people who are in love and want to take that big step into the future with each other. They most likely want to start a family and I'm happy for them. Must make The King & Queen proud to see all their children happily marrying off and starting families of their own.

I wish Carl Philip & Sofia all the blessings in the world. I just hope people will give Sofia a chance and enough room to carve out her royal within the royal family. It's probably going to take some time for her to find her feet within the Swedish Monarchy but she seems to have the confidence to move forward despite what others may think of her.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Serene Highness

A few thoughts:

1.) the whole I proposed this morning is total B.S. -- it's obvious that this has been in the works for quite some time given the fact that it involved approval from both the King and the government -- UNLESS, she wasn't officially given the ring and the "ok" until this morning because there was some type of government investigation into her background. Frankly, I think the latter is highly unlikely because her activities are pretty well known
2.) I think the King will never get over the fact that Carl Philip is no the Crown Prince and has spoiled him and allowed him to do whatever he wants
3.) The balcony scene is totally out-of-whack for the third in line to the throne. I don't even remember Victoria and Daniel having the balcony moment
4.) Any thoughts on whether she will have her more visible tattoos removed?
5.) She needs to have some dental work -- really!
6.) I don't condone her past activities -- but, I think she deserves a chance to redeems herself. After all, it seems that everyone (or just about everyone) now accept Mette Marit who married into the Norwegian royal family as an unwed mother (just when we thought it couldn't get any worse!)
Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Aristocracy

Congrats to the couple!

I can't wait for the wedding and future possible children

I hope to see CP Victoria with a baby bump on her brother's wedding
Old 06-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Well, I congratulate them on their engagement and look forward to another Swedish royal wedding, which is always a fun and joyous occasion. I have googled the bride to be and found, thankfully, most of the photos of her fully clothed and looking very nice. Regrettably, there are more photos of her in a swimming costume than there are of Carl Philip....

I would only add that I will brace myself for when Prince Harry gets engaged, I have a feeling he and Carl Philip are quite similar in many ways.
Yes, indeed not all royals are born equal, much less the same. And hurrah for that. If everyone were scandalous, or everyone were meek, life would be so dull.
Anyway, they seem happy and so I am happy for them. I hope their life is wonderful together.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Nobility

The timing of the announcement reflects the tactics : "if you have some unpopular news to announce, do it during the holiday period!" People are either on holiday or preparing for it...therefore less attention for news.

The lack of popularity of Daniel, in his early days as boy friend to Victoria, and of Sofia are sometimes compared, however unduly in my view, since in the case of Daniel it was based on far less objective reasons. Personally I feel however that Daniel could have avoided a large part of criticism, if he had adopted a more neutral look and dress code right since he first appearances on the side of Victoria, instead of his sport look not appealing to everyone.

Some comments go into comparisons of the respective engagement announcements; I think it should also be judged at the light of the period of the year when they took place: only summer months are ok for meetings with the press in gardens in Sweden, in the case of V&D it was February and M&Chris in November if I remember well. It can also be the case that Chris wanted it to be as private as possible, therefore the video.

I don't think that the presence of the King & Queen on Friday is a sign of any preference of them towards CPh.

The next question is what title SOfia will get. I assume the K&Q and the Court will take their decision after the year of "observation" ahead, both from the perspective of the attitude of Sofia, and persisting negative comments in the press etc

I don't think there will be any comments from Victoria since she has no official activity planned in the short-term future until her birthday celebration, so no opportunity to meet the press. According to the section on V&D, they were not in Stockholm on Friday, so they did not participate in any célébrations? safer for them??
Old 06-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Serene Highness

My biggest congratulations to the beautiful couple :) I'm sure they wedding will be somewhere in Stockholm and it will be a large one. Not sure about how many royals will be there. At least the scandinavian royals will be invited as they are all very close to the Norwegian RF and QMII of Denmark is one of his godparents.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Gentry

I always thought he was a bit dim witted so she is a good choice. Lets hope Victoria has loads of babies.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I think I will have to watch the whole engagement video cause the small clip I have seen yesterday on TV actually made me feel a bit uncomfortable. Sofia was gesticulating a lot to show her ring to the press and demonstrating with her hands how much she loved CP accompanied with some body moves. It was a bit bizarre to say the least.
Her behavior reminded me of a game show contestant on American television's "The Price is Right" when they have won a new car or refrigerator....come on down!!

Maybe in the year leading up to the wedding she will begin to understand the meaning of poise, and that since she isn't a Paradise Hotel starlet anymore she needn't play to cameras like one. It hasn't happened in the four years she's been with Carl-Philip, but now she is engaged to him perhaps someone will have a talk with her.

The king and queen both looked like they were in physical pain. I almost felt sorry for them.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess it could have been worse... she could have used the infamous "tihi" from Madeleine's engagement video
Know of a couple of internet forums that would have exploded :)
Old 06-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Her behavior reminded me of a game show contestant on American television's "The Price is Right" when they have won a new car or refrigerator....come on down!!

Maybe in the year leading up to the wedding she will begin to understand the meaning of poise, and that since she isn't a Paradise Hotel starlet anymore she needn't play to cameras like one. It hasn't happened in the four years she's been with Carl-Philip, but now she is engaged to him perhaps someone will have a talk with her.

The king and queen both looked like they were in physical pain. I almost felt sorry for them.
I think the ring flaunting was mostly the press's fault though, they all kept asking for her to show the ring and considering they were standing around them in a half circle (and only about half a meter away, or so it seemed!) she had to hold her hand up a really long while. They should've had a bit more distance to the photographers, then she could've just held her hand up and everyone could've gotten the pictures they wanted fairly easy.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
GREAT post Lady Nimue, you have really thought this through!
Thank you, my friend.

Just wanted to post this picture. Beside's Queen Silvia's beautiful dress - and being able to watch an elegant woman - look at Carl Gustav. How anyone can see anything 'pleased' in him concerning what he is watching i don't know. Just looking at him and my nerves get on edge.

LINK: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vorMXLyckA...0/1200+(4).jpg

BTW - watch the video. It appears that the PR person was ending the interview with the couple - and to emphasize that fact, the King and Queen were asked to hold back to answer some questions. However, Sofia continued to engage the press while the King and Queen were being interviewed, declining to go in - hence the strain we see in the King and Queen (in the video) because of what's going on off to the side.

Also, there were points in the couple's interview when Sofia and Carl Philip were answering different questions at the same time. At no time did Sofia defer to Carl Philip - as she didn't defer to the King and Queen. Interesting in itself.

All very interesting - but like a train wreck - uncomfortable to watch. I wish them well - of course one does. Anything really untoward will sort itself out in the end. I hope I am wrong. I hope all of us who see the problem are wrong - and those who see all sweetness and light and a very misunderstood lady - win the day - and it's a 'happy ever after' after all. They will make very pretty babies. She is a physically beautiful woman.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Serene Highness

I hope they are happy, I really do....but I hate to see the family dragged through the mud in a few years by a real scandal.A leopard doesn't change their spot's that easy. He might be enamored and wearing rose colored glasses now but can that last I wonder?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I hope they are happy, I really do....but I hate to see the family dragged through the mud in a few years by a real scandal.
At least K.Carl Gustav will be glad that his stripclub-scandal from a couple of years ago isn't real
Old 06-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
I hope they are happy, I really do....but I hate to see the family dragged through the mud in a few years by a real scandal.A leopard doesn't change their spot's that easy. He might be enamored and wearing rose colored glasses now but can that last I wonder?

They've been dating for four years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

How blunt. Charming.

She caught her a prince. Woo hoo.

Several generation's of real ladies, in very sense, who wore that tiara are spinning in their graves right now. What a farce this is..
Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastiana View Post
They only got engagement this morning? I wonder why there was such a rush to announce it. No wonder the disorder.

My cousins in Sweden do not like Sofia. They think her past is too undignified to be a princess. They also did not like Daniel at first (although not as much as Sofia), but they do like him now. They are lukewarm on the king, like the Queen and very much like Victoria. I don't know how representative their views are.

I would say your cousins opinion on the royal family is quite representative for what most of us swedes think about them. Daniel is getting more and more popular, the Queen is well liked and respected (but her accent and "unnatural" appearance is the butt of jokes), the King is accepted but not respected at all. Viktoria on the other hand is both popular and respected (even by many republicans) and I would even go as far as say that she's loved by a big part of the population. Madeleine isn't very popular and C-P... well he hasn't really done that much to make people care about him

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-28-2014, 06:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I always thought he was a bit dim witted so she is a good choice. Lets hope Victoria has loads of babies.
All she needs is one. And she has one. As if more Victoria-babies can somehow compensate for what you see as her brother-and-future-wife's inadequacies.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

It's not like she'll be queen barring a tragedy....if Victoria has more that's great but as long as she keep‘s her clothes on and does not take attention away from Victoria and her family by attention seeking like she seems to enjoy it's not that bad.

But can she stay out of the limelight is my question?

Tags
controversy, engagement, prince carl philip