Engagement of Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist: June 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A number of posts have been moved over to the 'Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist' thread.

This thread is only for the discussion of the actual engagement of Carl Philip and Sofia, ie. the engagement press conference and surrounding events. If you want to discuss Sofia's past/suitability/whatever, do so in the other thread.

Yes, that's what I meant. I think some of the Swedish people may think it's great that Prince Carl Philip has found some happiness with Sofia and there will be another royal wedding to look forward to now.

I'm one of the swedish people. And yes, I know quite a lot about Sofias background. Would I have picked her as my own personal choice to marry Carl Philip? Probably not. But he loves her, and finding love and happiness is really all that matters, royal or not royal.

On topic: I always thought that CP and Sofia would chose a winter wedding. Perhaps in Älvdalen, where she comes from. So I'm a bit surprised that they are getting married next summer.

I'm one of the swedish people. And yes, I know quite a lot about Sofias background. Would I have picked her as my own personal choice to marry Carl Philip? Probably not. But he loves her, and finding love and happiness is really all that matters, royal or not royal.

On topic: I always thought that CP and Sofia would chose a winter wedding. Perhaps in Älvdalen, where she comes from. So I'm a bit surprised that they are getting married next summer.

Another Swede here. I am very happy they are finally getting married. Not all of the decisions Sofia did in her youth were the best but she has clearly moved on and I am very proud of my fellow Swedes that have done so too.

Change of topic maybe, since a lot has been said about them already:

How do you think the relationship is between Chris and CP? I think they are alike in some respects:
- want to be private, yet want the jetset life
- Chris dated an underwear model before Madeleine, so must have some understanding on how CP chose for this girl and deal with all prejudice
- both like sports, cars, boyish things

I just think Chris and CP get along much better than Chris & Daniel, personality wise. Daniel is too much of a good-boy, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department, confirmed on 15th July to Södermanlands Nyheter, that Carl Philip proposed at his house in Ökenäs.
- Yes, it was at the estate. They have been there often in the summer. They are there a lot during the year, it is a place that they like to be in.
Prinsen friade på Ökenäs - Trosa - www.sn.se

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department, confirmed on 15th July to Södermanlands Nyheter, that Carl Philip proposed at his house in Ökenäs.
- Yes, it was at the estate. They have been there often in the summer. They are there a lot during the year, it is a place that they like to be in.
Prinsen friade på Ökenäs - Trosa - www.sn.se

Hmm, since Carl Philip himself said that he proposed at a secret place, I wonder whether he and Sofia like it that it is now "out in the open".

I agree! I don't think Sofia has the best past, but I see that I have been unfair regarding her now. I am old enough and honest enough to admit I should ease up a little. While I don't agree with her choices, there is obvious love between these two. I am not directly affected by these two or by the SRF so I wish them luck.

Hmm, since Carl Philip himself said that he proposed at a secret place, I wonder whether he and Sofia like it that it is now "out in the open".

And do you think that the Director of the Press Department would tell it to the press without asking permission from Carl Philip? I think it would be very odd if she would jeopardize her job in such a small case. Since Svensk Damtidning had already then written a couple of times as "definite information", that the proposal had happened in Ökenäs, maybe Carl Philip and the court thought that they could confirm it officially.

Last edited:
And do you think that the Director of the Press Department would tell it to the press without asking permission from Carl Philip? I think it would be very odd if she would jeopardize her job in such a small case. Since Svensk Damtidning had already then written a couple of times as "definite information", that the proposal had happened in Ökenäs, maybe Carl Philip and the court thought that they could confirm it officially.

I hadn't made the connection between Carl Philip and the Director of the Press Department, I was thinking of Carl Philip the man and not the prince when I wrote my post.
I just thought it was remarkable since I had the feeling that they could have a bit of privacy concerning the details of the proposal, but luckily not *everything* has been disclosed.

From the Twitter of Lena Lutaud, Reporter at Le Figaro, Paris.
She had dinner with some bankers in Stockholm. They don't like this marriage at all.
Google translation
Dinner with Bankers Stlkm: The marriage of Sofia ex reality TV star with Prince Carl Philip does not go at all. At all.
https://twitter.com/LenaLutaud/status/496772484071702528

I don't believe anything of it. Bankers will not care less who the partner is of Prince Carl Philip.

From the Twitter of Lena Lutaud, Reporter at Le Figaro, Paris.
She had dinner with some bankers in Stockholm. They don't like this marriage at all.
Google translation
Dinner with Bankers Stlkm: The marriage of Sofia ex reality TV star with Prince Carl Philip does not go at all. At all.
https://twitter.com/LenaLutaud/status/496772484071702528

The King and the Swedish government approved the marriage, which is what really matters. The opinion of "some Stockholm bankers" at a private dinner isn't really relevant.

The King and the Swedish government approved the marriage, which is what really matters. The opinion of "some Stockholm bankers" at a private dinner isn't really relevant.

Everyone's opinion is important if it supports your own opinion :lol:

I've known a few individuals who have worked for the banking industry in the US. Sometimes those higher up the scale are concerned about how certain events in the country or in the world would affect the economy, the stock market and their own finances. Different events affect these things such a elections, government changes and other events either foreseen or unforeseen can effect these things.

I've personally never heard of a royal engagement or marriage affecting these things. Usually a future royal marriage helps the economy as people will come to be there for the wedding.

People who tend to be conservative generally are not in favor of the engagement or the marriage. Bankers in the US tend to be conservative and I'm guessing this could also be true in Sweden.

Would have been interesting to hear what they said regardless of whether one agreed with them or not.

Empty posts that contribute nothing to an ongoing discussion have been removed.

I've known a few individuals who have worked for the banking industry in the US. Sometimes those higher up the scale are concerned about how certain events in the country or in the world would affect the economy, the stock market and their own finances. Different events affect these things such a elections, government changes and other events either foreseen or unforeseen can effect these things.

I've personally never heard of a royal engagement or marriage affecting these things. Usually a future royal marriage helps the economy as people will come to be there for the wedding.

People who tend to be conservative generally are not in favor of the engagement or the marriage. Bankers in the US tend to be conservative and I'm guessing this could also be true in Sweden.

Would have been interesting to hear what they said regardless of whether one agreed with them or not.

I'm curious about what the average person in Sweden thinks of this marriage. I personally don't care one way or the other, but I wonder what the Swedes think. In any event, I'm guessing that because CP won't be king, most people ambivalent.

All those opposed to the engagement would be fawning all over them if a face-to-face meeting took place. Then they would brag to all their friends that they had met them and then come back on this forum and rip them to shreds!

. . . . . I am "afraid" that you are very right in this. Hypocrisy galore would be the case.
Well probably not "fawning" over them but, polite and civil. I think people are confronted by dilemmas of moral or personal natures more frequently than one would suppose. When meeting someone you do not like, most people shake hands and behave with civility. What good is served by verbally assaulting someone?

The chance of CP or Sophia meeting someone for the first time and actually asking them "do you approve of our engagement and marriage" is absolutely zero. It is not going to happen but sniping at fellow posters is certainly done.

In lieu of tackling someone's view on this thread and asking them why they feel this way, you attack all those who do not agree with your opinion and call them accuse them of "fawning" at a meeting that didn't happen and call them hypocrites. Neither nice nor fair.

I would say that I am in that amorphus ambivielent group. I am saddened that Sofia's past is her future because the net is forever. But, I also think that she and Carl Philip seem very much in love and make a lovely couple and that it is hardly surprising they should wish to marry.

Life is not black and white. Someone we think as a model of moral rectitude could be found to be not so moral as we thought. (Think King Carl Gustaf). Likewise there are those that we would think pretty shallow fluff and find they have a heart of gold. Let's think Sophia and admit she is growing on us.

^^^Oh, please. Must the molehill always become a mountain?

Well probably not "fawning" over them but, polite and civil. I think people are confronted by dilemmas of moral or personal natures more frequently than one would suppose. When meeting someone you do not like, most people shake hands and behave with civility. What good is served by verbally assaulting someone?

The chance of CP or Sophia meeting someone for the first time and actually asking them "do you approve of our engagement and marriage" is absolutely zero. It is not going to happen but sniping at fellow posters is certainly done.

In lieu of tackling someone's view on this thread and asking them why they feel this way, you attack all those who do not agree with your opinion and call them accuse them of "fawning" at a meeting that didn't happen and call them hypocrites. Neither nice nor fair.

I would say that I am in that amorphus ambivielent group. I am saddened that Sofia's past is her future because the net is forever. But, I also think that she and Carl Philip seem very much in love and make a lovely couple and that it is hardly surprising they should wish to marry.

Life is not black and white. Someone we think as a model of moral rectitude could be found to be not so moral as we thought. (Think King Carl Gustaf). Likewise there are those that we would think pretty shallow fluff and find they have a heart of gold. Let's think Sophia and admit she is growing on us.

While I admit that my using the word "hypocrisy" was a bit harsh, it is unfortunate that some people (and I do not necessarily mean people on this forum) are two-faced and that is a pity.
And I think, by previous posts, it's pretty obvious why people feel what they feel - both sides. That is it.

Last edited:
Well, I congratulate them on their engagement and look forward to another Swedish royal wedding, which is always a fun and joyous occasion. I have googled the bride to be and found, thankfully, most of the photos of her fully clothed and looking very nice. Regrettably, there are more photos of her in a swimming costume than there are of Carl Philip....

I would only add that I will brace myself for when Prince Harry gets engaged, I have a feeling he and Carl Philip are quite similar in many ways.

Don't mind me, I just wanted to bring this to the top :lol:

Back
Top Bottom