Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marengo you must be know. The law i think is to the Germany who they must married royal or noble women don' t can be void?

Marengo you must be know. The law i think is to the Germany who they must married royal or noble women don' t can be void?

There is no such law. All citizens are equal and anyone is free to marry whom he/she wants. But sometimes there are private settlements, for an example setting a condition that heirs of the historic patrimonium must marry standesgemäß (according social standing).

On itself that has nothing to do with German law. When the heir wants to marrry the cleaning lady, so be it. There is nothing in law which prevents him from doing so. It will have consequences for his ability to inherit the historic patrimonium but that is not because of the law on itself but a result of private arrangements.

When I make a formal arrangement at the notary that I donate my children 100.000 Euro each, to be available on the age of 18 but with the strict condition that they must have passed their college exams, then this is a private arrangement which on itself has nothing to do with the law.

Last edited:
You must be one of the few who is still in favour of arranged marriages, Zelia. But fact is that of the younger generation of royals, there are still quite a few who supposedly were pressured to end a previous relationship and to look further. Not because the lady in question was not royal or noble, but because of other factors. It apparently happened to all three younger European kings at least and perhaps even to the Danish CP. However, they all found another partner and few will say that their present marriages were arranged or are unhappy.

my post was heavily loaded with sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of posts have been removed as they violated several forum rules: attacks on royals, attacks on members, off-topic comments, comments on moderation.

The moderators would like to offer some advice to this thread's regular contributors: use the report button. If you take issue with a post, report it. Do not respond to it. The moderators will then deal with the post accordingly.

I have seldom seen a royal wedding with so much "noise" around it for practically nothing. In some other royal weddings there was a lot of noise because of actions of the bride's father (Máxima) or because of the parenthood of a bride (Mette-Marit) or because the bride was seen as a mésalliance (Letizia), etc. But here... really... this is about nothing.

I think her background is the noise.
It's probably as unfair as the others you mentioned but she does have colourful past.

Svensk Damtidning told a couple of weeks ago, that Barbro Ehnbom and Sofia met via Barbro's son Marcus Forss. Marcus met Sofia at a night club and introduced her to Barbro. Marcus Forss is a clarinetist.

Old photos of Sofia partying when she was 16 were released today at least at the finnish media. One or two of them has been earlier released at the swedish media.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/kuninkaalliset/2015060419804286_kg.shtml

http://s02.imageupper.com/1/3/C14334198091194754_10.jpg
http://s02.imageupper.com/1/3/C14334198091194754_12.jpg
More photos, at the photos it is said that they are not on sale in Sweden.
http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/

Last edited:
Right, the wedding is close at hand.

There has naturally been a good deal of focus of Sofia over the recent weeks, what are your impressions of her now?
As unbiased as possible, please. ;)

How has she evolved? For better or worse.
How does she present herself now? Does she act the role?
Has she said anything significant in your opinion?
Has she said or done anything that impress you? Alternatively has she stepped in it?
Have any unfortunate friends from her past surfaced recently?
Etc. Etc.

And finally: Have your changed your opinion about her?

I ask partly to learn your opinion but also because I simply haven't had time to follow S&CP myself lately. I've not even read their recent interview.

Last edited:
The court has told at Sofia's CV that Sofia Hellqvist started study accounting in 2005 at the New York Institute of English and Business and that she is also a certified yoga teacher, which she was in New York. The CV tells that she worked as a yoga instructor at Yoga to the People, New York.

Expressen tells that co-owner of the italian restaurant Serafina in New York, Fabio Granato, has told to New York Post, that Sofia worked there as a waitress and bartender between 2005 and 2007, and that she had such a beautiful smile and good attitude towards the clients. "We are so happy that she is getting married and becoming a Swedish princess. She contributed so much positive energy to Serafina and I'm sure she will be great for the whole country", he tells to the New York Post.
Expressen has contacted Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press deparment. She didn't want to comment the newest information.
Sofia Hellqvists liv i USA – som bartender _ kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

If this is true, why couldn't the court tell at the CV that Sofia has worked as a waitress and bartender? They shouldn't be ashamed of that.

Last edited:
I doubt it's that they were ashamed of her waitressing and bartending and more that it wasn't relevant to her CV. Items drop off as you get older and you streamline it to only the important things.

Honestly I think it's great- anyone who has worked as a waitress or bartender. Makes her seem much more relatable.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

My brutally honest opinion has not changed in 4-5 years. Given everything I have heard, read and seen with my own eyes I think Sofia Hellqvist is an abysmal choice for Carl-Philip and the image of the monarchy. When I see clips of "Paradise Hotel" or some of her photos and realize that in a few days this same young lady will be a Royal princess and the public face of the Swedish Royal Family it feels surreal.

How did it come to this?:ermm:

On the plus side, she is very attractive and Carl-Philip is undoubtedly head over heels. She will be a beautiful bride and seems to have a warm rapport with Estelle and Lenore.

There you have it.

ETA: Her time as a bartender is the least of my issues with SH. Who cares? What's wrong with bartending?

Last edited:
I think she's done beautifully at every appearance so far, and she's adorable in the pictures with Princess Estelle. She's been dressing appropriately and nicely.

I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well she'll end up doing as a working royal. She seems to have a knack for making people like her.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

From what I can tell, CP and S are suited for each other. Their interviews have been shallow at best and neither seems to have said anything to make me think otherwise. My hope is that they bring themselves down a notch and start digging into their royal duties and use their "status" to make a real difference not only in their country but in the world too.

One thing is at least completely certain: Carl Philip Bernadotte and Sofia Hellqvist are a truly unique couple. On the general note: Time will work wonders for them and they will prove to be out of this world.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia are soul mates. Their deep love for each other is evident.

I am not a fortune teller, but I supect CP and Sofia will be a popular princely couple in Sweden. And they may have adorable children, which will help boost their popularity even further.

The fact that Sofia doesn't seem to have any viable alternative career plans of her own might actually be a plus for the Royal Family as she will be 100 % committed to being a full-time royal.

[.....] Their interviews have been shallow at best [.....]

Interviews with royals are usually always shallow. This because they constantly feel the critical eyes of the politicians, the politically responsible government and the twittering public prying in their backs.

Every meaningful opinion uttered by a royal immediately causes a flood of comments. Imagine that Prince Carl Philip ventilates an opinion (and why not: "Je Suis Charlie", isn't it?) like: "People who claim via the collective health service because of problems caused by their own neglect, like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc. should be charged extra on their health care bill".

Well, that is an opinion and an insightful one. We will all agree that such an opinion, perfectly to be uttered by you or me, is better NOT uttered by His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland... So as a result, royals are always on their qui-vive and talk as superficial and diplomatical as possible.

Well, I have mainly seen and read interviews from Dutch royals. I wouldn't call interviews with former Queen Beatrix shallow for example. More a lesson in state law TBH.

The Swedish PR department excells in sharing shallow stuff and are perhaps encouraging their royals to do so. I suppose it may be what the Swedish press wants as TBH from many articles that I see posted here they seem to be living in lala-land (referring to a 'princess-school' is usually the first one to get on my nerves). I highly doubt that many questions that were asked to the happy couple would have been allowed by the Dutch press department for example.

I suppose the couple may be/get popular enough, esp. with children, though polls do not show that at the moment. But in the end he is not the heir and younger siblings usually end up next to the stage sooner or later. And that is quite a healthy thing too. As a spare he and his wife (and perhaps Pss Madeleine) will be needed for some extra support every now and than but not for much else. The only European monarchy where 'secundary' royals play a larger public role may be Britain, but the country is much larger with more things to do. But also there the main focus is on the main line, as it should be.

Last edited:
I am with Marengo. I have read thoughtful, intelligent interviews with Royals from the Netherlands, Sweden(Victoria, Sylvia) Britain(William, Harry, the Prince of Wales) Luxembourg(Guillaume and Stephanie, Maria-Teresa), Monaco(Albert, Caroline, Stephanie) Denmark(Countess Alexandra) and even Mette-Marit of Norway before her wedding.

There was nothing shallow or faux-diplomatic about any of them.

However I do agree that Carl-Philip and Sofia have the potential to become a popular Royal couple, especially after they have children.

Last edited:
:previous: I am in total agreement. However, I think the royals of Sweden are in a somewhat difficult situation.

CP and Sofia don't want to be contentious in any way that could stir an adverse media response while dealing with the reality of Sofia's past and their imminent wedding.

By the same token, no other family members are going to give an "interview" per se, because of all the adverse publicity toward Madeleine and Chris and swipes at Cp and Sofia.

It seems the entire SRF are really trying to keep their heads down prior to the wedding, the birth of Madeliene's child and her subsequent move to London.

So here's hoping CP and Sofia have a splendid wedding, honeymoon and return to duty.

Will they say where they are honeymooning?

LaRae

Interviews with royals are usually always shallow. This because they constantly feel the critical eyes of the politicians, the politically responsible government and the twittering public prying in their backs.

Every meaningful opinion uttered by a royal immediately causes a flood of comments. Imagine that Prince Carl Philip ventilates an opinion (and why not: "Je Suis Charlie", isn't it?) like: "People who claim via the collective health service because of problems caused by their own neglect, like smoking, drinking, over-eating, etc. should be charged extra on their health care bill".

Well, that is an opinion and an insightful one. We will all agree that such an opinion, perfectly to be uttered by you or me, is better NOT uttered by His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland... So as a result, royals are always on their qui-vive and talk as superficial and diplomatical as possible.

I did not say anywhere that they need to talk about state laws, the current strife and political associations I if Sweden. I was talking about their pre-wedding interviews about each other.

The best that CP could come up with was "Above all, she's beautiful and has beautiful eyes."
Really? That's the absolute, best thing you can say about your future wife and the next Swedish Princess? How about she has a kind heart, she helps children in Africa, she is giving etc. This is what I meant by shallow.

And Sofia did not help matters either when all she could muster out was that CP is very humble over and over.

I was hoping they would give us a little more into this "great love story" of theirs but again, I expected too much from these two. All the interviews I have seen have been the same from them, no depth. I understand being diplomatic in the right situation but in matters of love and the heart I think they could afford to be a little more open.

As we apparently can't seem to follow a moderator's request to move on, all posts discussing the intelligence of Britain's William and Harry have been removed as they have nothing to do with this thread.

[...] The best that CP could come up with was "Above all, she's beautiful and has beautiful eyes." [...]

Note the first two words: above all. This means that Miss Hellqvist has a lot for which the Prince felt in love, but above all "she is beautful and has beautiful eyes". In my eyes perfectly normal. Someone does not fall in love with someone else because she apparently supports a good cause in Africa. Otherwise I should now have a love-affair with the lady next door, doing so much for Greenpeace.... Someone falls in love with someone because there is a great (phyisical) attraction between two people. That is clearly the case with the Prince and his longtime companion. It was an innocent and honest answer. And the words "above all" clearly indicate that it was not ONLY her beauty which won the Prince.

People twist and turn everything they say just to point out their and especially her unsuitability. While it's tiresome, somewhere it's also quite funny. Just to see people spending their energy on folks they don't like.

Once the two are married, she can start to show what she's made of and the criticism will die down. I bet a lot of people will be in for a surprise.

I applaud Carl Philip for taking what is probably an unconventional way, but it is the way that makes him the happiest and thus gives him the power to represent properly. Kudos to Sofia, she makes him more confident.

In the other interview they both said they have kind hearts and she said he is down to earth. They love each other that is all that matters. The royal family accept her past and they know her better than any of us on these boards. I think she will be fine as a wife and princess she does not have to have a Masters degree to be a princess just be intelligent polite and interested in what is going on.

[...] does not have to have a Masters degree to be a princess just be intelligent polite and interested in what is going on.

That is true. It is basically "shut up and be pretty". The best job description of a female fulltime royal. Look at Queen Máxima. No one is interested in her sustainable financing hobby. It is only about how she looks. She can forget everything she once learned as Economist and banker. Just shut up and be pretty.

I wouldn't read too much into his answers. Maybe he doesn't want to give a full, honest answer? It's a pretty personal question. Or maybe he's just playing the press? "You ask me why I love her? Here's your fairytale lovey-dovey answer."

Or maybe he doesn't know? I think a lot of people couldn't give a definitive reason why they love their spouse but it doesn't mean their relationships are shallow. I'd count myself as one of them.

As Skippy says, she clearly makes him very happy and we've all seen what's happened to royal marriages where that seems to be a secondary consideration. Some people will always disapprove so CP & S may as well get on with life and make each other happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom