Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buhu. They are nice to Sofia. That's horrible! Or is it? I'm soooo tired of everyone trying to find something negative to say about her.

I have no comment to make about Sofia appearing on the photo, bearing in mind the current developments!!

However about negative comments about Sofia, I think she simply provided the grounds herself. A friend of mine recently told me "When I see her, I wonder about her snake".
Looking objectively at her background, the following aspects come to my mind:
- her education/studies : (hardly) nothing known, which de facto tends to mean "low level"
- career : inexistant, or unappropriate for a future princess/member of the RF
- current improvements underway : not any known
- achievements : apart from a controversial model/actress career, the Sth Afrcia project, doubious it could be significant. An involvement so far away can hardly be substantial
- personality : little known, or controversial

That sort of assessment would normally place her quite low on an evaluation scale for contemporary young Swedish women. Did I miss something important?

This leads to a few comments about Carl-Philip. I think that changing the rules for succession to the throne towards equal gender rules was quite a good thing. Unless he would have had a totally different education, and would have been motivated for that, I am doubioud about the popularity scores he could achieve (his current one is very low).

This leads to a few comments about Carl-Philip. I think that changing the rules for succession to the throne towards equal gender rules was quite a good thing. Unless he would have had a totally different education, and would have been motivated for that, I am dubious about the popularity scores he could achieve (his current one is very low).

Dead right there. :cool: We will never know if being the direct heir would have created another kind of personality in CP, but in terms of over-all intelligence and sheer ambition for the task, Victoria has been a win-win for the SRF and Sweden in general imo. In this case the oldest born truly did have all the right qualities to be sovereign. JMO.

what will be sofia's title after the wedding? will she be addressed as Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland? do you think she may refuse a title to avoid controversy, just like chris did (although in his case for business purposes)?

what will be sofia's title after the wedding? will she be addressed as Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland? do you think she may refuse a title to avoid controversy, just like chris did (although in his case for business purposes)?

She'll become HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Värmland indeed. As the wife of a prince, she's automatically a princess by courtesy, very different situation than with the husband of a princess.
She'll become a member of the 'official' Royal Family, unlike Chris.

About Sofia's title, the director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren, told to the press that the decision about the possible title will be made in the autumn.
Any updates? Autumn is long over.

As the wife of a prince, she's automatically a princess by courtesy, very different situation than with the husband of a princess.
She'll become a member of the 'official' Royal Family, unlike Chris.

It is highly probable, but not automatic. The king of Sweden has full discretion over the titles and membership of the royal house.

She has nothing to refuse, she is not acquiring nobility or any title because of her marriage. Because she marries HRH Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland, she can be styled by her husband's titles and form of address: Her Royal Highness Princess Sofia of Sweden, Duchess of Värmland.

When Sofia would have married a friherre De Geer af Finspång, she can be addressed by her husband's title and form of address (Högvälborne / = High- and Wellborn) an be known as: the high- and wellborn lady Sofia friherrina De Geer af Finspång.

:flowers:

i'm sorry if i missed it, but what is sofia's education exactly? did she ever join a university course or worked in a 'serious' job?

i'm sorry if i missed it, but what is sofia's education exactly? did she ever join a university course or worked in a 'serious' job?

no - nothing

everything written - or better, left blank in her official bio :whistling: - she has uncomonly little to show, for a woman of 30 years...

Not having a "proper" education means little, imo. I know plenty of amazing, wonderful, and smart people who never went to University.

And as someone who has had an immense amount of trouble securing a decent job despite my education level, I am rather on Sofia's side in this. Her choice of jobs may be a bit tawdry for some people, but that doesn't make her any less of a suitable princess. Goodness knows there have been countless Kings and Prince's who are far more troublesome than Sofia and yet they still were decent enough royals.

I don't agree with everything Sofia has done, but I'd rather like to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
And as someone who has had an immense amount of trouble securing a decent job despite my education level, I am rather on Sofia's side in this. Her choice of jobs may be a bit tawdry for some people, but that doesn't make her any less of a suitable princess. Goodness knows there have been countless Kings and Prince's who are far more troublesome than Sofia and yet they still were decent enough royals.

But there are awful lot of questions on Sofia's jobs, since the press doesn't want to publish her income during the years like they did to Daniel every year. How did she provide herself, how big was her income?

A number of posts have been removed as they went against several rules of the forum:

-Comparisons to other royals/individuals serve no purpose but to play a game of 'my royal is better than your royal', to antagonise other posters, and are usually employed when concrete evidence does not exist to back up an argument.
-Rumours and speculation from the gossip press, that are not verified, have no place being discussed here. Hinting that Sofia was something other than a waitress or yoga teacher while in New York, or because of her past photos, because that has been theorised by bottom-feeding tabloids is not on.

If you wish to discuss any of these matters, you may do so via PM (remembering that the rule that you must respect your fellow poster also applies) or you can go elsewhere.

Questions regarding this can be directed to a Swedish forum moderator via PM.

Out of interest does Sofia have a job at the moment? Given that Carl Philip doesn't seem to carry out all that many duties I can't see Sofia taking on a full set of duties and doing more than Carl Philip does.

Out of interest does Sofia have a job at the moment? Given that Carl Philip doesn't seem to carry out all that many duties I can't see Sofia taking on a full set of duties and doing more than Carl Philip does.

Sofia is the Secretary General of Project Playground, and she has said many times to Svensk Damtidning and Expressen that she is going to continue her work at PP after the wedding and not be a "full-time" princess.

To me that sounds perfect tbh. She can continue to work on a day job whilst still doing occasional royal duties. Even better that her day job is for a good cause.
Personally I think in time Sofia and Carl Philip will 'fade' into the background more than they do now. Once they are married and start a family they will become less of a fascination for the media.

But there are awful lot of questions on Sofia's jobs, since the press doesn't want to publish her income during the years like they did to Daniel every year. How did she provide herself, how big was her income?

Why do you all need to know her income so badly? I do not understand this fascination with her income. You know what job she had, leave it at that and stop trying to find something to nail her to the wall with. If there was something so awful in her past I am sure the King would have said no title, no royal wedding. Since not, I am keen to believe she's fine.

Nobody's done this for any of the other ladies, not even Kate. It reeks of wanting to find something so wrong with Sofia so you can have something "substantial" to lay your hate on.

It's gross. Yes monarchies/governments will hide things, but not like what the tabloids are suggesting. And if there was something more, I'd think the tabloids would have dug up proof.

Why do you all need to know her income so badly? I do not understand this fascination with her income. You know what job she had, leave it at that and stop trying to find something to nail her to the wall with.

Because I want that Sofia is treated equally with Daniel. The press told always his income, his taxes, how much his car cost etc. Of course, there was nothing to hide. But about Sofia the press hasn't told anything, and I find it very confusing. And it makes me suspicious.

A number of posts have been removed as they went against several rules of the forum:

-Comparisons to other royals/individuals serve no purpose but to play a game of 'my royal is better than your royal', to antagonise other posters, and are usually employed when concrete evidence does not exist to back up an argument.

With all due respect, in this particular instance, I disagree. SH is frequently criticized for not having a university education. Pointing out that other royal consorts were equally uneducated or lacked any significant career accomplishment, but were nonetheless never criticized for that, just highlights the double standards to which Sofia and other royals before her are held. In Sofia's case, that double standard has far more to do with elitism/class prejudice than with her education per se.

Because I want that Sofia is treated equally with Daniel. The press told always his income, his taxes, how much his car cost etc. Of course, there was nothing to hide. But about Sofia the press hasn't told anything, and I find it very confusing. And it makes me suspicious.

It's not suspicious to me. But then again I don't need to be rummaging in people's personal finances if they're not on trial for financial reasons!

There are a dozen reasons why Sofia's income hasn't been published by the papers and I don't immediately jump to illegal things! The truth is we have no proof and thus this discussion should stop. You want to wonder why, fine, but there's no need to bring in nasty little rumors to do so.

I guess one can't hope that the papers just didn't print it because they want to be respectful, hmm?

I guess one can't hope that the papers just didn't print it because they want to be respectful, hmm?

If that is the case, why they didn't have the same policy regarding Daniel? That doesn't make any sense.
The income is public information and can be published. Just a couple of weeks ago the press in Sweden published the income of many public persons.

Something about Sofia's possible income can be found from the Annual report of Project Playground, Project Playground didn't pay any salaries in 2010, and in 2011 they paid salaries and compensations 70619 SEK = 7450 euros. A person has been employed 0,4 out of normal work day. The report doesn't tell if it has been Sofia.
http://www.project-playground.org/w...10/Project-Playground-Årsredovisning-2011.pdf

In 2012 Project Playground had three people they paid salaries 673300 SEK = 71100 euros (if the compensations to the board are included, they don't tell it)
http://www.project-playground.org/w...10/Project-Playground-Årsredovisning-2012.pdf

Last edited:
If that is the case, why they didn't have the same policy regarding Daniel? That doesn't make any sense.
The income is public information and can be published. Just a couple of weeks ago the press in Sweden published the income of many public persons.

please, Daniel married Victoria before or around the time it became public that Sofia & CP were dating.

Again, there are a hundred reasons why they aren't publishing it. Doesn't mean anything illegal has been going on.

My main problem is that with Sofia people are so quick to jump to some scandalous thing when there is no proof. Wondering is fine, jumping to conclusions is not (at least on this board, though really it's common sense). I get you being confused as to why they did it for Daniel and not for Sofia, but there's no reason to attack Sofia for it. Maybe the press don't have her information. Maybe the press has found common decency. Maybe they're waiting until just before the wedding to show things. Who knows?

I just think people here need to calm down when it comes to Sofia. The accusations are getting too wild.

Probably they did so with Daniel because he was going to be the consort to the future Queen. :flowers: With the succession secured past Victoria, the need to vet Sofia in the same way is not seen as important. However, there is possibly some sexism involved. Also, we know that Sofia has a checkered past. Going into her background in this way would simply accentuate it to no real purpose. It's not like any thing in her past will stop the wedding. All that has been taken care of, I would think. (I hope so!)

Something about Sofia's possible income can be found from the Annual report of Project Playground, Project Playground didn't pay any salaries in 2010, and in 2011 they paid salaries and compensations 70619 SEK = 7450 euros. A person has been employed 0,4 out of normal work day. The report doesn't tell if it has been Sofia.
http://www.project-playground.org/w...10/Project-Playground-Årsredovisning-2011.pdf

In 2012 Project Playground had three people they paid salaries 673300 SEK = 71100 euros (if the compensations to the board are included, they don't tell it)
http://www.project-playground.org/w...10/Project-Playground-Årsredovisning-2012.pdf

It is a given, when someone starts up their own charity, that they are very likely getting a salary. If they don't get a salary, then income gets funneled via other means, like honorariums and 'travel expenses', etc. It is exceedingly rare for charity work to be done for free, as a genuine volunteer, at the highest level, especially if it's one's own charity. If this surprises some people, it shouldn't. Charity work is labor like any other. It's like running a business, it is running a business. Charities employ accountants and lawyers and secretarial staff, as well as 'staff on the ground' to deliver services, and need a CEO, which it sounds like Sofia may be.

I have looked at the income/donations Project Playground has generated. I saw the 'pop' in it's figures. Carl Philip is also involved. His name alone associated with the charity would be a draw for big donors. There's no reason for both of them not to be getting some renumeration, especially as both are lending their names, and Sofia is doing work for the organization. Large donors expect that some percentage of their donations go to 'operating expenses'. It's the way it works and I'm all for it! Enormous good is accomplished around the world because the wealthy and influential can do this.

Last edited:
Sofia in USA in 2006 with Mark Baker, the former husband of Vicky Andren (now Magnuson)
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Mark and Vicky, they got married in summer 2005 and were married less than two years. Mark was 21 years older than Vicky.

Mark Baker is a famour partyfixer and Sofia went often to his parties and of course met Vicky often too. The Swedes in New York were in same parties.

Small circles, Mark Baker with Maryam Abdullina, the former girlfriend of Chris O'Neill.
http://bfanyc.com/uploads/preview_BFA_313_20649.jpg

Last edited:
Face to Face published 100 photos of Sofia Hellqvist (almost all of them are bikini photos) in connection of her speaking about her past at "The Year with the Royal Family". I have seen only part of them before. They can be found from Face to Face's "Adel"-section.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom