Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that makes me want to defend Sofia against these accusations is the timeline in play.

Sofia started modeling at age 16, in 2000/2001. She won Miss Slitz in 2004 and in 2005 she did Paradise Hotel and made out with Jenna Jameson. This is all definitely the behaviour of a person who wants fame and attention... but she was between the ages of 16 and 21. From the end of 2005 to 2010, when her relationship with CP was revealed, she seems to have lived a much quieter life.

Sure, her relationship with CP could have been based on a desire to be a famous princess, but I can't help but think that if Sofia wanted fame she wouldn't have stopped modeling in 2005. This decision to me makes it seem like she has left that part of her past behind her - she's not a kid anymore and doesn't seem to be embracing that lifestyle, nor does she seem to have done so for some time now. I do think she's doing her best, to quote you, to channel "all that whatever you call it - energy, drive, etc, into something good" - namely Project Playground, which she's worked with for about as long as she was a model/reality tv star.

The thing that makes me want to defend Sofia against these accusations is the timeline in play.
It's not a matter of defense, though. IMO. :cool: It is what it is.

She met CP in the midst of her career, as you have detailed though glossed over just a bit ;) and made her choices from there. It seems obvious what took place. No blame. I just doubt there was a change. That's okay. It is what it is.

She's trying to do it 'right' and fit in. I wish her well and hope she is happy. She definitely has the love of her Prince. That should make all the difference.

It's not a matter of defense, though. IMO. :cool: It is what it is.

She met CP in the midst of her career, as you have detailed though glossed over just a bit ;) and made her choices from there. It seems obvious what took place. No blame. I just doubt there was a change. That's okay. It is what it is.

She's trying to do it 'right' and fit in. I wish her well and hope she is happy. She definitely has the love of her Prince. That should make all the difference.

But she didn't meet CP in the midst of her career, at least not from what I can tell. She seems to have stopped modelling and doing reality TV in 2005 - or at least I can't find anything that she did in that line of work after then. She didn't meet CP until 2009.

It didn't go she met him, they started dating, then she stopped modelling. It went she stopped modelling then 4 years later she met him. Unless you have something to show that she was still modelling between 2005 and 2009.

But she didn't meet CP in the midst of her career, at least not from what I can tell. She seems to have stopped modelling and doing reality TV in 2005 - or at least I can't find anything that she did in that line of work after then. She didn't meet CP until 2009.

It didn't go she met him, they started dating, then she stopped modelling. It went she stopped modelling then 4 years later she met him. Unless you have something to show that she was still modelling between 2005 and 2009.

Now I am getting confused here, so:
When did she met PC in 2009?
When did she stop modeling, year?
What was she doing in the way of a paying job/career from the time she stopped modeling till she met PC?
What has she been doing for work or career since meeting PC beside the PP once in a while?

It might be a good idea if SH did what MM did in Norway, come clean and be up front with your life if you want to marry into the royal family. MM had guts, self-confidence and strength to do that and that shows a lot about her character and the type of person she is which is why she is now a very respected member of the royal family in Norway and she works hard at the job. Nothing wrong with that at all. From my view there is no talk coming from anyone in the court and royal family about what she has done, window washing does not fool intelligent people, it can be seen as a snow job and people are not fools or stupid. There is a saying: You can fool some of the people but you can't fool all the people all the time, that is how I view her and PC.

The question was to the number of royal engagements. Christina has undertaken royal engagements, even if she is not considered apart of the royal court.

I didn't count Christina's events to royal engagements, when I spoke about the workload of the royal family. Because she isn't a member of the royal court, her events aren't counted even though she would work every day. Her events aren't at the royal calendar and they aren't told at the articles at the royal website.

As for Sofia in New York on 2005-2009, in some point she posed for the nude photos for photographer Antoine Verglas.
From Expressen:
Then she went to New York where she worked at a yoga center and as a waitress. But the model dreams were still there.
Suddenly a huge chance came up - she was offered to be photographed by the Frenchman Antoine Verglas. A celebrity photographer who had his breakthrough with his intimate photo series on the now world famous models like Claudia Schiffer and Cindy Crawford.
The scantily clad pictures added after the shoot out to the sales of photo agency Stella Pictures.
But in 2010, when the relationship with Prince Carl Philip was confirmed by the court, the pictures were taken back.
The French photographer explained that he had not been in the habit of selling those pictures to the type of magazines that were interested.
But at the same time, he chose to speculate on the matter:
- Maybe she did not want the images to be published ... they'd found on the internet. It was sexy and swank images. Now that she's with a prince she doesn't want that the images will be there, he told to Extra in 2012.
Sofia Hellqvists hinder på vägen mot kärleken Extra Expressen

And as for Sofia's quiet life, we all have different perceptions what a quiet life is. According to Sofia's and Camilla's blog from New York they partied all the time. They attended at the parties of famous partyorganizers, parties where they could meet influential people from movies, modelling and other branches. Expressen has some photos of Sofia partying in New York.
Här är de okända festbilderna på prinsens Sofia Extra Expressen

Last edited:
I didn't count Christina's events to royal engagements, when I spoke about the workload of the royal family. Because she isn't a member of the royal court, her events aren't counted even though she would work every day. Her events aren't at the royal calendar and they aren't told at the articles at the royal website.

True, her events aren't counted and listed in the Royal calendar. But it's also true that she in practice has done hundreds of Royal engagements over the year. Between 1972 and 1976 she was in fact the first royal lady of Sweden, since her mother had passed away and her brother wasn't married. I have no problem seeing princess Madeleine in a role similar to Christinas in the future.

Sofia and Carl Philip... hard to tell what happens with them. If/when Victoria and Daniel have another child, and/or the king/queen have to cut down on their workload due to health reasons, I think that Sofia and Carl Philip are needed as active members of the royal family. At least for a limited period of time.

Sofia started modeling at age 16, in 2000/2001. She won Miss Slitz in 2004 and in 2005 she did Paradise Hotel and made out with Jenna Jameson. This is all definitely the behaviour of a person who wants fame and attention... but she was between the ages of 16 and 21. From the end of 2005 to 2010, when her relationship with CP was revealed, she seems to have lived a much quieter life.

Sure, her relationship with CP could have been based on a desire to be a famous princess, but I can't help but think that if Sofia wanted fame she wouldn't have stopped modeling in 2005. This decision to me makes it seem like she has left that part of her past behind her - she's not a kid anymore and doesn't seem to be embracing that lifestyle, nor does she seem to have done so for some time now. I do think she's doing her best, to quote you, to channel "all that whatever you call it - energy, drive, etc, into something good" - namely Project Playground, which she's worked with for about as long as she was a model/reality tv star.

Yes, this is a different story. It looked like she swung like a pendulum, but this does not appear to be the case from your post. Although people who are more extreme, again Jolie is a good example, are often the movers and shakers in our world.

Now I am getting confused here, so:
When did she met PC in 2009?
When did she stop modeling, year?
What was she doing in the way of a paying job/career from the time she stopped modeling till she met PC?
What has she been doing for work or career since meeting PC beside the PP once in a while?

It might be a good idea if SH did what MM did in Norway, come clean and be up front with your life if you want to marry into the royal family. MM had guts, self-confidence and strength to do that and that shows a lot about her character and the type of person she is which is why she is now a very respected member of the royal family in Norway and she works hard at the job. Nothing wrong with that at all. From my view there is no talk coming from anyone in the court and royal family about what she has done, window washing does not fool intelligent people, it can be seen as a snow job and people are not fools or stupid. There is a saying: You can fool some of the people but you can't fool all the people all the time, that is how I view her and PC.

As per her Wikipedia page (which granted, is very lacking), Sofia started modeling at age 16 (which would have been 2000/2001), she did Miss Slitz in 2004, and her season of Paradise Hotel aired in 2005. This is also the year that she made out with Jenna Jameson while in Las Vegas. At the end of 2005 Sofia turned 21. So all of this behaviour is the actions of someone who couldn't even legally drink in the US.

In 2005 she moved to New York, studied to be a yoga teacher, and opened her own yoga centre. Neither Wikipedia nor the official CV released by the Palace say how long she did this for, why she stopped, or how successful it was. Nor do either have any information on when she moved back to Sweden.

In 2009, according to the official CV, she worked in Ghana from September to October 2009, visiting orphanages and helping to build a woman's centre. The next year she founded Project Playground. I get that you think she only works with PP once in awhile, but according to Sofia, the Palace, and PP this is an actual job where she plays an actual important role. This could be a spin, sure, but since PP seems to be a successful organization it's one that I'm willing to buy. My understanding of it is that Sofia is the head of the operations in Sweden - which to me would mean that she's overseeing the operations to get funding for the operations in South Africa. I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it. The assumption that the whole thing is a front for her is one that I personally don't buy into not because I'm a blind supporter but because Sofia has been linked to PP since its start, which was at a time when her relationship with CP was still new and not a guarantee - it would have been a huge risk for the charity to invest in a "famous" figurehead at that stage in the game, especially since it was well before Sofia's relationship with CP was a sure thing - it would be like if Cressida Bonas got involved in a new organization just on the grounds that she'd been linked with Harry.

According to a Daily Mail article written for the engagement announcement, Carl Philip and Sofia met in a club in 2009. Their relationship became public the next year, in 2010, and they moved in together in 2011. The reason why people assume that Sofia put her past behind her and "changed her image" when she met CP is because that's the spin that the tabloids put on it - they all act like that 4-5 year gap didn't happen.

I've not really been following this all that much but every now and then poke my nose in the door and read the latest.

From what I've been reading, it seems like Sofia in her late teen and early adulthood did what a lot of people do. Explore being an adult and grabbing whatever life has to offer. Wild and crazy comes up a lot with folks I've discussed younger years with. There are certainly a lot of things that I would be hard pressed to admit to doing myself. Its all part of exploring the world at large.

Somewhere along the line, she finds a cause in life. People don't normally volunteer their time in places like Ghana for the good times to be had. This is probably the diving board to her wishing to set up Project Playground and do something serious with her life. Sometimes a person just walks into a place and it hits them full force that this is something they want to do. Case in point would be Harry and Sentebale. Like Harry, perhaps Sofia isn't seen digging the trenches and working long hours but its something they're both serious about and they're both in the position to actually do quite a bit and make a difference.

What has impressed me is that Carl and Sofia's relationship wasn't even made public for a year after they first got together. It was two years before they took the plunge and moved in together. This isn't a relationship that was taken lightly by either one of them and I imagine that they have had quite a few ups and downs and hurdles to overcome during that time. This tells me that the reason for their relationship is because they fit together. They've sailed the waters for a while and realize they have a boat that's going to stay afloat.

I wish them all the happiness in the world and a whole lot of smooth sailing.

From what I remember from older threads, Sofia never opened her own yoga studio. She just taught at a studio while studying for her certificate. I think there was some debate on whether she finished her training.

I thought someone else founded Project Playground and Sofia came on later?

Last edited:
From what I remember from older threads, Sofia never opened her own yoga studio. She just taught at a studio while studying for her certificate. I think there was some debate on whether she finished her training.

I thought someone else founded Project Playground and Sofia came on later?

According to Sofia's CV which the court published on the engagement press release, Sofia was "also involved in setting up a yoga centre".
Yes, there has been a lot of talk that Frida Vesterberg founded Project Playground and Sofia came along a little later. But their official version is that they founded it together.
We don't know when Sofia and Carl Philip moved together. The court came public with it after Sofia had officially registered her address to Carl Philip's home. They may have lived together although Sofia had her own apartment too. Expressen wrote already in May 2010 that Sofia is staying over night at Carl Philip's home.

Thanks for the information, LadyFinn. I wonder what happened to the yoga center?

According to Sofia's CV which the court published on the engagement press release, Sofia was "also involved in setting up a yoga centre".

Yes, there has been a lot of talk that Frida Vesterberg founded Project Playground and Sofia came along a little later. But their official version is that they founded it together.

We don't know when Sofia and Carl Philip moved together. The court came public with it after Sofia had officially registered her address to Carl Philip's home. They may have lived together although Sofia had her own apartment too. Expressen wrote already in May 2010 that Sofia is staying over night at Carl Philip's home.

I think it is clear for those of us who may have followed this unfolding story from the days of Ms Pernauld that there have been (very recent) 'variations' on the facts. An 'actress' was being mentioned in articles while CP was still with his previous girlfriend. In fact, in articles speculating on the imminent engagement to Ms Pernauld, there was mention of CP having other romantic interests (with an actress) that would put such an engagement at risk. I am going on memory about this because nothing of this can be found any longer on the internet. (I have tried).

Sofia and Carl Philip met in 2008, true enough, or more correctly, that was the meeting that seems to have set in motion Carl Philip's change in interest. Prior to that Sofia and CP had been 'in the same room' upon occasion at various public events/places prior to that 2008 meeting, from as far back as 2007. I just looked at Wikipedia and I find it very different these days so it's being 'handled' I assume (understandably).

Sofia and Carl Philip were involved long before anything 'official' was admitted. How that changeover in girlfriends took place is really the private business of those involved. I maintain that and respect that. But two facts have always been clear: Sofia dropped her career once she was involved with CP (I personally think that involvement stems from 2008), and, she got involved in, or set in motion, Project Playground once she was with CP. I am suspecting that these facts may be up for dispute now. :ermm: That being the case, I withdraw from the playing field.

I can see from recent posts here that there has been something of a revisionist history taking place regarding Sofia vis-a-vis her colorful past and Carl Philip. While there are some who 'have no problem' with Sofia's past because, after all, 'she was young' when she did such, there is none-the-less a need to believe that she is different now (which she probably is, let's be fair) but further, there is an attempt to scissor a chasm between that 'youthful folly' and a more judicious Project Playground founder persona before she met CP. :unsure: Hmmm......

There is a slight feeling of vertigo happening here. Am I in the same dimension, or has there been a String Theory spin-off reality? :p Sofia is who she is. I think she is likely a delightful person to know. Just a hunch. But I also don't think she went through a phoenix-rising moment and was 'made new' into another kind of person prior to meeting up with CP. In fact, it's unlikely she would have met CP and succeeded with him had she done so. Yep.

Anyway, revision away. I've said my piece. In the end the PR folks will do what is necessary to make Sofia's transition to Princess as smooth as possible, and well they should. If it requires some to think of Sofia as a different sort of person than what she was in her long-ago youth in order to make the pill go down, then who am I to gainsay that. Carry on. :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Great post LadyNimue...

It's also interesting that Sofia at firsr was a "yoga teacher" and then she even opened a yoga centre... Unbelievable...:whistling:

I think it is clear for those of us who may have followed this unfolding story from the days of Ms Pernauld that there have been (very recent) 'variations' on the facts. An 'actress' was being mentioned in articles while CP was still with his previous girlfriend. In fact, in articles speculating on the imminent engagement to Ms Pernauld, there was mention of CP having other romantic interests (with an actress) that would put such an engagement at risk. I am going on memory about this because nothing of this can be found any longer on the internet. (I have tried).

Sofia and Carl Philip met in 2008, true enough, or more correctly, that was the meeting that seems to have set in motion Carl Philip's change in interest. Prior to that Sofia and CP had been 'in the same room' upon occasion at various public events/places prior to that 2008 meeting, from as far back as 2007. I just looked at Wikipedia and I find it very different these days so it's being 'handled' I assume (understandably).

Sofia and Carl Philip were involved long before anything 'official' was admitted. How that changeover in girlfriends took place is really the private business of those involved. I maintain that and respect that. But two facts have always been clear: Sofia dropped her career once she was involved with CP (I personally think that involvement stems from 2008), and, she got involved in, or set in motion, Project Playground once she was with CP. I am suspecting that these facts may be up for dispute now. :ermm: That being the case, I withdraw from the playing field.

I can see from recent posts here that there has been something of a revisionist history taking place regarding Sofia vis-a-vis her colorful past and Carl Philip. While there are some who 'have no problem' with Sofia's past because, after all, 'she was young' when she did such, there is none-the-less a need to believe that she is different now (which she probably is, let's be fair) but further, there is an attempt to scissor a chasm between that 'youthful folly' and a more judicious Project Playground founder persona before she met CP. :unsure: Hmmm......

There is a slight feeling of vertigo happening here. Am I in the same dimension, or has there been a String Theory spin-off reality? :p Sofia is who she is. I think she is likely a delightful person to know. Just a hunch. But I also don't think she went through a phoenix-rising moment and was 'made new' into another kind of person prior to meeting up with CP. In fact, it's unlikely she would have met CP and succeeded with him had she done so. Yep.

Anyway, revision away. I've said my piece. In the end the PR folks will do what is necessary to make Sofia's transition to Princess as smooth as possible, and well they should. If it requires some to think of Sofia as a different sort of person than what she was in her long-ago youth in order to make the pill go down, then who am I to gainsay that. Carry on. :flowers:

If this is what's going on then I would withdraw my defence of her. I haven't followed this since day one and only have the more recent accounts to go by, which is what I based my opinion on.

If this is what's happened - and I don't doubt you - then I think the Palace has gone and made a mess of the situation. Even if what's being said now is 100% true, it's still vague and gap-ridden. They would be better off coming clean and saying "from this date to this date she did this, from this date to this date she did this, currently her involvement in Project Playground is this."

Absolutely brilliant and spot on. I have followed PC and read about him and his former girlfriend long before SH came into the picture. Ms P was very much loved by the royal family and his sisters where very fond of her and there was much talk about her and PC getting married, then along came SH and what happened is history. I do think there is a lot of white washing of SH and her past being down to promote her to the public and to the circle of royals in the world that they associate with on a personal level. If she did what MM did and talked and admitted her past mistakes I think it would show her in a better light. After all, look at MM and how she has become very loved by the people of Norway because she did what a stand up person of good character did. That takes guts/strength and lots of self confidence. I do believe that PC/SH are in love/lust whatever, so they are going to be married, I only hope that this marriage does not do damage to the monarchy as I am extremely fond of V/D and their family. For me they are the royals of Sweden, they are the ones that work extra hard and really go all out for the people, something PC really needs to learn to do. :flowers::)

If this is what's going on then I would withdraw my defence of her. I haven't followed this since day one and only have the more recent accounts to go by, which is what I based my opinion on.

If this is what's happened - and I don't doubt you - then I think the Palace has gone and made a mess of the situation. Even if what's being said now is 100% true, it's still vague and gap-ridden. They would be better off coming clean and saying "from this date to this date she did this, from this date to this date she did this, currently her involvement in Project Playground is this."

Very well said and I so agree with you. Facts not assumptions should be what a court tells the public regardless of what they are. Lies always get you in an embarrassing situations which can be very hard to get out of and then no one trust you again when you say something....media take notice!
:)

Revisionists has done the same for Camilla and for Mette Marit. Now, Mette Marit was young and made mistake and is a wonderful young woman who has grown into an important role, and does it well. Camilla was hardly the poor young thing who had made mistakes, but the BRF's PR has made her a saint and truly Charles loves her and she has made him a very good wife. So who care what anyone thinks. Time will tell. I think Sofia will be as good as Daniel ( a fitness trainer), for her position. It is what she does now, not before that counts.

SH needs to put herself out there and face up to what is the facts of her mistakes as did MM. Prince Daniel is above reproach and is so much more then just a fitness trainer, he is an astute business man who built a very successful business long before he met Victoria. While he was dating Victoria he had the common sense and common courtesy to *not talk* to the media and did not put himself in any type of situation where there would be something that would come back to haunt him. There is a big difference between someone who wants the fame and *needs* the fame then someone who is more comfortable in their own skin and stays in the background all the while keeping quiet. I would think that the royal family and court now appreciate who Prince Daniel is and how hard he works. That is something that SH needs to learn and he is someone who as a commoner marrying into this family she should look up to and follow his example.

I always thought CP and Emma were kaput long before SH came on the scene. This is the first I've read about an...ehrrm...overlap.:cool:

Very interesting indeed. Thanks Lady Nimue.

I am sure that if she would give a tearful apology, many would be saying that it was fake, done in an effort to create sympathy.

It would be odd to make an apology. Why would she? She hasn't done anything illegal. It is not a crime to pose nude or semi nude in magazines. It is not a crime to be a reality tv starlet. And what is the use of an apology? Most people with doubts won't believe it, most people without doubts don't need it.
As most in Sweden seem to have no problem with her, I doubt that the PR people of the palace will push for such an apology. It simply is not needed.

IMHO it would be more convincing if she quietly proceeds with her charity / work and a few public duties, without too much fuss. That approach worked for Princess Mabel at least.

Re Daniel: he was a fitness instructor turned owner of one or two gyms. Succesful in a way, but hardly a new Cornelius Vanderbilt. He doesn't strike me as particulary hardworking at the moment, he and his wife do not have an enormous amount of public engagements at least. Which is perfectly fine. And indeed, he behaved impeccably during his courtship (and afterwards).

Anyway, like COUNTESS says, time will tell how things will develop. Personally I do not care for this kind of royalty, lowering the bar to such an extend makes royalty lose its credibility to me, but many/most others do not have problems with it, so soit. At least it keeps things interesting.

Last edited:
:previous:
Your so right she has not done anything illegal or a crime as neither did MM or Mabel, yet they did what had to be done to be accepted by the people/royal family/ court, they have been excellent members of both families.

Daniel might now have shaken up the world with his businesses yet he did achieve something and I would bet that if he had not fallen in love and married Victoria he would have accomplished more...he is no dummy that I can see.

Your right on the fact if SH did come out and admit her whatever, I woudn't believe her, why.......to late in the game and I will just sit back and let the cards fall where they may, as I have said before if she does great and really makes an effort to be a hard working members of the royal family and not make trouble(that goes for V/D as they are the no. 1 on my hit parade), then I will gladly eat my words. I have no problem admitting I make mistakes, making mistakes is my way of learning and growing each day and yes sometimes it is painful but struggles make bubbles for me.

Re Daniel: he was a fitness instructor turned owner of one or two gyms. Succesful in a way, but hardly a new Cornelius Vanderbilt. He doesn't strike me as particulary hardworking at the moment, he and his wife do not have an enormous amount of public engagements at least. Which is perfectly fine. And indeed, he behaved impeccably during his courtship (and afterwards).

Anyway, like COUNTESS says, time will tell how things will develop. Personally I do not care for this kind of royalty, lowering the bar to such an extend makes royalty lose its credibility to me, but many/most others do not have problems with it, so soit. At least it keeps things interesting.[/QUOTE]
// Marengo

You always read and hear on various message boards how terribly hardworking Daniel and Victoria are, so your message made me realize you are quite right. They don't really have that heavy a schedule compared to several other royal couples. But they are decent and conscientious. They have never put a foot wrong since their wedding or at any other time. They are precisely what the image of the SRF needs right now.

The last two sentences of your final paragraph, for me at least, pretty much says it all. In fact the bar has been lowered so far that I don't even view many of these families as royalty anymore. They are simply attractive couples wearing designer clothes, tiaras and sashes and carrying pretty impressive titles. CP didn't begin the process of lowering of standards--he has simply brought the bar down so far that from now on it will probably not be possible to lower it still further.:sad:

I always thought CP and Emma were kaput long before SH came on the scene. This is the first I've read about an...ehrrm...overlap. :cool:

Very interesting indeed. Thanks Lady Nimue.

Most definitely an overlap and there was more to the situation, reported at the time in the press, but since the news stories are no longer extant, the telling of such becomes suspect. Doesn't serve any purpose. :cool:

Love was in the air! Cupid was shooting his arrows. It was what it was. The right people got together with the right people, we can assume. The story does have it's charm and drama but the SRF has accepted the way things played out so many years ago. So should we. She is trying. We should give her a break. JMO.

Monarchies are on the way out, anyway. All the concern is moot. IMO they will be unlikely to survive past the current generation. In 50-80 years they will be gone and and will be but the subject of historical dissertations. Yep.

Last edited:
Most definitely an overlap and there was more to the situation, reported at the time in the press, but since the news stories are no longer extant, the telling of such becomes suspect. Doesn't serve any purpose. :cool:

Love was in the air! Cupid was shooting his arrows. It is what it is. The right people got together with the right people, we can assume. The story does have it's charm and drama and the SRF has accepted the way things played out so many years ago. So should we. She is trying. We should give her a break. JMO.

Monarchies are on the way out, anyway, imo. All the concern is moot. IMO they will be unlikely to survive past the current generation. In 50-80 years they will be gone and and will be but the subject of historical dissertations. Yep.

Unfortunately I do agree with you that monarchies are on their way out, it won't happen in my lifetime yet the writing is on the wall. It is sad in a way for they are history and what is going to take their place when they are gone....men in gray suits ruling us all telling us all what to do, such is the way of a republic. Then who will live and care for those big historical homes/places/castes or whatever. Where will all the glories of monarchies go, the jewels, the carriages, the clothes they wore, the items of office, the crown jewels of the world....everything that has to do with a monarch. Even down to the furniture that some is hundreds of years old, museums can't hold it all, so where will it go? And left to be the head of a country? Who left to look up to and think this is a king, my sovereign whom I am suppose to respect? Just saying! Yet that and thousands of other questions come to mind when I think they are no more......:)

I agree, monarchies are indeed on the way out. I expect few of any of the current "baby" heirs will have thrones to ascend to within the next 40-50 years.:sad:

I don't remember anyone saying that Victoria and Daniel are more hardworking than the other royal couples in different royal houses. But this at least Daniel has this year had more work events than ever before, I think Victoria has too. And like the directors of the press department have often said, it is the king who decides and has the final word of who of the royal family works and where. So the king has decided where Victoria and Daniel attend. These things are decided at weekly meetings when they read all the invitations the royal family has got and agendas from different ministries and events.
But this thread isn't about Victoria and Daniel.

The king has clearly given Carl Philip a lot of time to spend on his racing career and his designing. Carl Philip had six racing events with STCC this year, normally 3-4 days an event and the testing and PR-days a couple of times a year, so it takes about a month of his year.

About Carl Philip and Sofia, there are various stories when they met for the first time. Some tabloids say that they met already in 2007. Some say that they met at the night club V. But Expressen has many times written that they met in Pepe's Bodega in Båstad in summer 2008. Sofia Hellqvist was there with her mentor Barbro Ehnbom and sister Lina. No photos of Carl Philip but the text tells that "Hertigen av Värmland" was there.
Båstad Pepe's Bodega Loft - STUREPLAN.se

About Sofia working in Ghana in 2009, her mentor Barbro Ehnbom was already in 2003 involved with Monica Westin's book. Westin has worked in Ghana. Maybe it was Ehnbom who told Sofia that working in Ghana would look good in her CV.
Monica Westin's Work Continues Here and in Africa

As for Sofia doing an interview like Mette-Marit, it would be ridiculous. She hasn't shown any humbleness since she began dating with Carl Philip, if she now would give an interview like Mette-Marit, nothing could be more fake than that.

Last edited:
I don't remember anyone saying that Victoria and Daniel are more hardworking than the other royal couples in different royal houses. But this at least Daniel has this year had more work events than ever before, I think Victoria has too. And like the directors of the press department have often said, it is the king who decides and has the final word of who of the royal family works and where. So the king has decided where Victoria and Daniel attend. These things are decided at weekly meetings when they read all the invitations the royal family has got and agendas from different ministries and events.

So it will be interesting to see how the newlyweds are put to use. We could have a betting pool on this (my failing - I do like to play the odds! :p ). Based on what I saw with the king at the engagement interview, my call is the couple will be allowed to live a quiet life in the country. I think Sofia will be made a Duchess, but not an HRH. I'm plunking down my 2 bits. :D

P.S. How they will be used, I think, will be a function of how Sofia is received during this very long engagement and how the wedding is actually received. Just a hunch.

The king has clearly given Carl Philip a lot of time to spend on his racing career and his designing. Carl Philip had six racing events with STCC this year, normally 3-4 days an event and the testing and PR-days a couple of times a year, so it takes about a month of his year.

If Carl Philip (with his wife) starts being more active once he's a married man I think we can possibly see the hand of Sofia in that (as well as she will have passed muster with the public. I don't think the king will be a risk-taker in this regard). Ambition in my book is not a bad trait to have and I think Sofia has always had that quality.

About Carl Philip and Sofia, there are various stories when they met for the first time. Some tabloids say that they met already in 2007. Some say that they met at the night club V. But Expressen has many times written that they met in Pepe's Bodega in Båstad in summer 2008. Sofia Hellqvist was there with her mentor Barbro Ehnbom and sister Lina. No photos of Carl Philip but the text tells that "Hertigen av Värmland" was there.

Båstad Pepe's Bodega Loft - STUREPLAN.se

Yes, they had been traveling in the same social scene (in a sense) as early as 2007. By 2008 she had enough familiarity around him via mutual acquaintances to have 'the meeting' happen. Famously (supposedly) in front of, or in the presence of, the then girlfriend. Ah, yes, the drama. BTW for those who might be scandalized by this, there were always rumors that Carl Philip was not faithful. I personally think everything worked out for the best. As I said, the right people got with the right people.

About Sofia working in Ghana in 2009, her mentor Barbro Ehnbom was already in 2003 involved with Monica Westin's book. Westin has worked in Ghana. Maybe it was Ehnbom who told Sofia that working in Ghana would look good in her CV.
Monica Westin's Work Continues Here and in Africa

I recall that her starting up with the children's charity telegraphed instantly that she was now Carl Philip's serious girlfriend. She was 'the one' and it was only a matter of time until there would be an engagement announcement. I remember this. That it took so long for there to be an engagement has been the surprise (though perhaps it shouldn't have been a surprise). It was taking so long, in fact, that I started to wonder if it was a declining possibility, though she was showing up at royal functions.

As for Sofia doing an interview like Mette-Marit, it would be ridiculous. She hasn't shown any humbleness since she began dating with Carl Philip, if she now would give an interview like Mette-Marit, nothing could be more fake than that.

Yes, I recall the early incidents where she talked to the press. Made a bad impression. Not at all humble. :sad: I think those early indiscretions with the press are potentially why it took so long to announce an engagement. The memory of those inauspicious encounters had to wear away, be erased, in the public mind, which they have (seems like).

She seems to almost be trying to de-sexualize herself in some instances. Her last outing had that blowy top, and before that the inept hair. If there is anything Sofia should not have a learning curve on it's in her presentation to the camera. She is a long way from being the ingenue anymore but that seems to be the decided image she will project. Methinks it's going to be a bumpy ride! In a way, I've done a turn-about and I'm not looking forward to watching it all unfold. I for sure wish her the best. I do think he loves her and in so many ways she is a very fortunate young woman. I do wish them well.

Last edited:
Did CP meet Sofia for the first time while he was still involved with Emma? Maybe, maybe not. If so, are they the first couple this has happened to? No way. These things happen. But we don't know.

Was it Barbro Ehnbom who encouraged Sofia to work in Ghana in 2009? Very likely. But we don't know if it was just to clean up Sofias CV, or if she really thought it was an important cause that she wanted to get hands on involved in. We don't know.

I can't say that I'm speaking for everyone in Sweden, but I haven't heard a single person actually talk about Sofia in negative words. The general reaction seems to be that it's great that he found a girl he loves and that they are getting married. People are more or less aware of her past, but don't care. She hasn't done anything illegal. Like most of us, she has been young and done some things that she probably isn't too proud about. The difference is that the stupid things that people like me did when we were young aren't all over the internet. And - thank God! - we aren't being discussed and picked apart on internet forums.

Do I have my doubts about Sofia? Yes, I do. But they are liked to other concerns. She doesn't have a formal education. That's perfectly fine, but coupled with the fact that she doesn't have a working career of her own worries me. Where are her ambitions? I'm having a hard time seeing them, but I'm hoping she'll surprise me.

Sofias outgoing personality is a big bonus in my book. Sure, she might not be the discrete type (like Daniel was), but I think that this might be one of her big advantages further on. Any member of the royal family that can handle the media spotlight are miles ahead. Big plus there.

Will Sofia be a liabilty or an asset to the Royal family? I don't know. But I hope that she finds her way and that she and CP are happy, no matter what their future roles might look like.

About Carl Philip and Sofia, there are various stories when they met for the first time. Some tabloids say that they met already in 2007. Some say that they met at the night club V. But Expressen has many times written that they met in Pepe's Bodega in Båstad in summer 2008. Sofia Hellqvist was there with her mentor Barbro Ehnbom and sister Lina.

Why did Sofia have an mentor before she met Carl Philip? Does this Barbro Ehnbom have anything to do with the SRF?

IIRC, I read an article in the Swedish press about her getting a mentor after she started dating Carl Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom