Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not likely. As we can already see with photos taken at a private event. Consider the amount of posting regarding bra straps. :cool:

Then on vacation (though I don't doubt for a minute that Sofia knew the cameras were there and she was fine strutting her stuff - she always will be - which will annoy some people.)

Point being, she brings on board the 'Princess Margaret' factor. The press will not back-off. She's the money-shot. Yep. :p

At home ;). In their public private time indeed not likely, but I don't think he minds at all - as in becoming jealous. And Carl Philip also knew that the cameras were there and they could have decided to go somewhere else but they didn't. Had they done that, they would probably have gotten the 'who do they think they are? Already escaping the press?'.

You have some point with the press, but I don't find it surprising as she's the only girl to come from outside.

Last edited:
Not likely. As we can already see with photos taken at a private event. Consider the amount of posting regarding bra straps. :cool:

Then on vacation (though I don't doubt for a minute that Sofia knew the cameras were there and she was fine strutting her stuff - she always will be - which will annoy some people.)

Point being, she brings on board the 'Princess Margaret' factor. The press will not back-off. She's the money-shot. Yep. :p

Lady Nimue....that louding whizzing sound you are hearing is the late Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden spinning in her tomb at having comparisons drawn between herself and the former Miss Slitz!:lol:

The only Royal female in recent memory that I can remember the paps cruising like sharks in anticipation of some hoped for gaffe or risqué photo was Sarah (Fergie) Ferguson in her heyday. That would be a much more apt comparison than Margaret, who, for all her messy dysfunction, never lost a sense of regal dignity. She was a daughter of the last Emperor of India and by God nobody ever forgot it!

Lady Nimue....that louding whizzing sound you are hearing is the late Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden spinning in her tomb at having comparisons drawn between herself and the former Miss Slitz!:lol:

The only Royal female in recent memory that I can remember the paps cruising like sharks in anticipation of some hoped for gaffe or risqué photo was Sarah (Fergie) Ferguson in her heyday. That would be a much more apt comparison than Margaret, who, for all her messy dysfunction, never lost a sense of regal dignity. She was a daughter of the last Emperor of India and by God nobody ever forgot it!

For her day Princess Margaret was scandalous. Fergie was harmless. Except for the unfortunate toe-sucking photos, Fergie's greatest sins were being 'fat', fashion-challeged and 'common'. :wacko: Not 'scandalous' in my book - more rudeness by the press.

Princess Margaret - for her times - was living in the fast lane. Stories of her engaging in what was at that time considered 'inappropriate' are numerous. Yes, and all delivered with her royal sense of entitlement.

Princess Sofia will be the same sort of press bait, though I think Sofia knows exactly the parameters of the role she is taking on, like any good thespian, and will abide by the constraints. That's meant as a compliment. But the racy past will always make her a la Princess Margaret.

EDIT: Or maybe more accurate, Sofia is more akin to Mrs Simpson?

Last edited:
At home ;). In their public private time indeed not likely, but I don't think he minds at all - as in becoming jealous. And Carl Philip also knew that the cameras were there and they could have decided to go somewhere else but they didn't. Had they done that, they would probably have gotten the 'who do they think they are? Already escaping the press?'.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I think he was in a way putting on a display of affection for the cameras. Not for a moment do I think the display was pretense. I think they are genuinely 'enmeshed' and totally in sync with each other. That was obvious. They are in love and he is proud of her. Good for him. :flowers:

You have some point with the press, but I don't find it surprising as she's the only girl to come from outside.

And what a girl! ;)

For her day Princess Margaret was scandalous. Fergie was harmless. Except for the unfortunate toe-sucking photos, Fergie's greatest sins were being 'fat', fashion-challeged and 'common'. :wacko: Not 'scandalous' in my book - more rudeness by the press.

Princess Margaret - for her times - was living in the fast lane. Stories of her engaging in what was at that time considered 'inappropriate' are numerous. Yes, and all delivered with her royal sense of entitlement.

Princess Sofia will be the same sort of press bait, though I think Sofia knows exactly the parameters of the role she is taking on, like any good thespian, and will abide by the constraints. That's meant as a compliment. But the racy past will always make her a la Princess Margaret.

EDIT: Or maybe more accurate, Sofia is more akin to Mrs Simpson?

In all fairness, Margaret became rather chubby too. In fact she seemed to lose her looks fairly quickly after her wedding.

The fact that Margaret was an insider, a born Royal princess, sort of wipes out any comparison between Margaret/Sofia and how the press will treat her. Sofia will always be-in the eyes of the media-a former reality TV starlet first, and a princess second. She doesn't have and will not have even a smidgeon of mystique that Margaret kept even in her muu muu and babushka wearing, puffy faced worst. Margaret in spite of everything, was always the Queen's sister and the daughter of George VI.

Unlike Fergie Sofia is neither fat nor fashion-challenged. But-based on some of her past interviews and her "work", she does seem to be as common as it gets.

Sofia can't even be compared to Wallis Simpson, imo. She is truly in a league of her own as far as princesses are concerned.

Last edited:
Margaret was never a "looker", as Sofia is. She was the best royal factions could muster. She was for her time rebellious and very avante garde. Margaret's mystique, as one poster alluded, didn't exist. She was short, dumpy, but full of fun. Fergie was another challenge. I though she was lovely the way she was. But she was hounded to be slimmer, better dressed, etc. She ran rings around Margaret. Too bad she didn't have the "you can do anything and will be okay" circle around her that Margaret did. Sophia is young and being judged by standards, obviously the SRF has chosen to pass by.

In all fairness, Margaret became rather chubby too. In fact she seemed to lose her looks fairly quickly after her wedding.

The fact that Margaret was an insider, a born Royal princess, sort of wipes out any comparison between Margaret/Sofia and how the press will treat her. Sofia will always be-in the eyes of the media-a former reality TV starlet first, and a princess second. She doesn't have and will not have even a smidgeon of mystique that Margaret kept even in her muu muu and babushka wearing, puffy faced worst. Margaret in spite of everything, was always the Queen's sister and the daughter of George VI.

Unlike Fergie Sofia is neither fat nor fashion-challenged. But-based on some of her past interviews and her "work", she does seem to be as common as it gets.

Sofia can't even be compared to Wallis Simpson, imo. She is truly in a league of her own as far as princesses are concerned.
In reading many books on Wallis Simpson, she was one very strong woman who knew her way around the world and when she decided she wanted something, she set her sights on it and went for it and she got what she wanted, This is how I believe sofia is, determined and single minded in what she wants in life and nothing gets in her way........will she be able to be a value to the family she is marrying, I would hope so and I do hope she goes to the Princess School.

Curious about that. I've never seen any of her interviews. Are they available to view?

Margaret was never a "looker", as Sofia is.

Couldn't prove that by the pictures I've seen and the comments by those who encountered her. She was quite striking as a young woman. She did age badly towards the last decades of her life but even with the weight she had amazing eyes. I've heard comments about her impact - a combination of eyes and flawless skin. She was prettier than her elder sister, though her elder sister was no slouch in her younger days either. I see Princess Margaret as similar to Elizabeth Taylor - same kind of mesmerizing eye color and flawless skin. They aged in very similar ways, too.

In reading many books on Wallis Simpson, she was one very strong woman who knew her way around the world and when she decided she wanted something, she set her sights on it and went for it and she got what she wanted, This is how I believe sofia is, determined and single minded in what she wants in life and nothing gets in her way........will she be able to be a value to the family she is marrying, I would hope so and I do hope she goes to the Princess School.

Mrs Simpson was also labeled a wanton woman because of all her several marriages. There was that malicious lie that she had been trained in sexual acts at an Asian brothel - that kind of thing. Both women - strong, as you mention, and both linked to a sexual past that causes social comment and raised eyebrows.

Whether Sofia will be a rousing success, we shall see. If her choice is all about Carl Phillip and she realizes she is walking away from a 'gaiety life' for a more back-seat, sedate, royal, box-like life - maybe. If not - we'll find out soon enough. :flowers:

Last edited:
Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day.

LaRae

:previous: Sounds about right to me.

Getting back to her latest intended erm job/hobby whatever, I'd lay odds that CG will allow CP's lovely lady the same latitude he has shown his son.

Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day. LaRae

Yes. She caused quite a stir. It was also a very different time. I've read the memoirs of the time, or some of them. Princess Margaret - even the Queen and Queen Mother, in fact - went dancing and night-clubbing, all decked out in jewels and furs and lavish gowns. Such dress was not just for state occasions. Princess Margaret kept up the night-clubbing (sans the jewels and gowns) into the 1960's and beyond. Like a female Hemingway - hard drinking, heavy smoking, liking the fast crowd with a wicked sense of humor and a 'salty' tongue. She was the fast crowd. :flowers:

Last edited:
Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day.

LaRae

Margaret in her teens and 20's was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She had flawless skin, incredible eyes, a voluptuous petite body. She was a classic beauty.

Sofia has a great body and nice eyes, but she is nowhere in Margaret's league looks-wise, imo.

Lady Nimue,

All of Sofia's past interviews are available through Google. The one where she discusses the most unusual place she ever had intercourse and her attraction to women are particularly fun.

There is no way this girl can be compared to Princess Margaret, imo.

Last edited:
Margaret in her teens and 20's was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She had flawless skin, incredible eyes, a voluptuous petite body. She was a classic beauty.

Sofia has a great body and nice eyes, but she is nowhere in Margaret's league looks-wise, imo.

Lady Nimue,

All of Sofia's past interviews are available through Google. The one where she discusses the most unusual place she ever had intercourse and her attraction to women are particularly fun.

There is no way this girl can be compared to Princess Margaret, imo.

And perhaps that is a good thing, for both of them.

Last edited:
I think you are probably right Skippy.

Margaret for all her beauty and lineage was a terrible snob. She was not very nice to anyone she deemed unworthy.

One thing Sofia will probably never be accused of is snobbery and unkindness.

Aftonbladet's royal expert Roger Lundgren has said to Aftonbladet Klick! that there is a lot to do for Sofia after the holiday. The wedding preparations start and Sofia will go to a "princess school".
According to Lundgren Sofia will probably get the title princess and former reality show participant from Dalarna has to learn how to behave like royalty.
- She must learn how to talk, when to eat, when to stop eating, when one curtseys and so on, says Lundgren.
There is much to be prepared for the wedding, which most likely will be in Stockholm. Lundgren guesses that Sofia will wear a wedding dress designed by Lars Wallin.
I höst sätts Sofia Hellqvist i prinsesskola Stoppa Pressarna

Aftonbladet's royal expert Roger Lundgren has said to Aftonbladet Klick! that there is a lot to do for Sofia after the holiday. The wedding preparations start and Sofia will go to a "princess school".
According to Lundgren Sofia will probably get the title princess and former reality show participant from Dalarna has to learn how to behave like royalty.
- She must learn how to talk, when to eat, when to stop eating, when one curtseys and so on, says Lundgren.
There is much to be prepared for the wedding, which most likely will be in Stockholm. Lundgren guesses that Sofia will wear a wedding dress designed by Lars Wallin.
I höst sätts Sofia Hellqvist i prinsesskola Stoppa Pressarna

In 10 years this will be made into a tv-movie "My fair lady 2" :lol:

Oh dear, the Swedish press again in lala-land. I never read things about a 'princess/prince school' anywhere else than in the Swedish press. It really seems that their readers are girls of 10 y/o who still believe such things. Or perhaps Sweden's gossip columnists all have a Anne Hathaway crush and have watched 'the Princess Diaries' too often. It makes you wonder how such a thing works, I am imagining a sort of Hogsworth but instead of a magic stick the people attending carry tiaras and sashes. The gossip columnists seem to have selected Madeleine for the part of Voldemort these days.

I find these idiotic Swedish gossip journalists very irritating,they seem such utter bimbos (themen and the women).

Oh dear, the Swedish press again in lala-land. I never read things about a 'princess/prince school' anywhere else than in the Swedish press. It really seems that their readers are girls of 10 y/o who still believe such things. Or perhaps Sweden's gossip columnists all have a Anne Hathaway crush and have watched 'the Princess Diaries' too often. It makes you wonder how such a thing works, I am imagining a sort of Hogsworth but instead of a magic stick the people attending carry tiaras and sashes. The gossip columnists seem to have selected Madeleine for the part of Voldemort these days.

I find these idiotic Swedish gossip journalists very irritating,they seem such utter bimbos (themen and the women).

Roger Lundgren is quite respected royal expert in Sweden, he wrote queen Silvia's Jubilee Book on her 70th birthday in very tight co-operation with the queen.

The institutions are not only for princesses, but for anyone who needs to be immersed in protocol, which fork to use, diplomacy, how to dress and groom, how to carry on a conversation re: a subject that bores one to tears, etc..

They are called Finishing Schools.

Marengo, tiaras are for the advanced. That's on the curriculum for the second semester. Freshmen (ehm. freshladies?) start with balancing books on their heads.;)

I know because I tried princess school once. But I had to drop out because I failed in "Balancing gracefully on high heels" :p.

Honestly, the press were never going to leave out the Princess School topic. It probably sells too good to be dropped.

There is a series of books for tweens that are about a Princess School. So little 8 to 10 year old girls will yes indeed be gobbling this up. :flowers:

The institutions are not only for princesses, but for anyone who needs to be immersed in protocol, which fork to use, diplomacy, how to dress and groom, how to carry on a conversation re: a subject that bores one to tears, etc..

They are called Finishing Schools.

Yes, I think that's really what they are talking about - referencing it as a Princess School is just working with the current language about such things. I would also think that in Sofia's case it's really going to be a few trusted older women (maybe) who will tell her the ins and outs of court protocol at functions, etc. JMO. :flowers:

At the moment I mainly wonder whether this is really going to happen.

Margaret was never a looker? The woman was stunning! She was the British version of Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly. Sofia can't hold a candle to her. I don't know how the Swedish press are but I fear Sofia getting to comfortable with them especially of they have a habit of turning on you like the British press.

Marengo, tiaras are for the advanced. That's on the curriculum for the second semester. Freshmen (ehm. freshladies?) start with balancing books on their heads.;)

I know because I tried princess school once. But I had to drop out because I failed in "Balancing gracefully on high heels" :p.

Honestly, the press were never going to leave out the Princess School topic. It probably sells too good to be dropped.

Princess School? Sounds like something out of The Princess Diaries. Does Julie Andrews teach a course?

Margaret was never a looker? The woman was stunning! She was the British version of Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly. Sofia can't hold a candle to her. I don't know how the Swedish press are but I fear Sofia getting to comfortable with them especially of they have a habit of turning on you like the British press.

I think it's only good that Sofia "can't hold a candle" to Princess Margaret because I agree with what Moonmaiden23 said in post #496. At least she doesn't have to follow in her footsteps :).

As for getting too comfortable - IMO we really haven't seen that much of them together since they are engaged and they are now in it with the two of them, I would say.

That said, I don't think the Swedish press are as vicious as the British press are.

Last edited:
The swedish press and royal experts are using term "princess school", like they used "prince school" for Daniel, when the court published a press release about his induction programme. Of course Sofia doesn't need as much information as Daniel.
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus

They probably had to teach Daniel how to be a public figure, they will have to teach Sofia how to tone it down and not be too much of a public figure :lol:

They probably had to teach Daniel how to be a public figure, they will have to teach Sofia how to tone it down and not be too much of a public figure :lol:

If so, the family will have a nice balance :lol:.

Seriously though, I think it will all work out just fine.

The difference is that Mr Westling can not avoid to have the highest public profile, as spouse and as father to a future Queen.

Ms Hellqvist can avoid a public role if she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom