Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The attention very naturally falls on the women within the royal families. So far, the prince's and King's really don't mind that the world's media pay a little more attention to their spouses.

Sofia most likely will be the focus of attention from the media because she's the new royal bride on the scene, she'll be attending royal events with the family and carrying out royal duties alongside her fiancee and husband.

The very idea that she and Prince Carl Philip should be exiled due to her past pictures is very much nonsense.

I can just picture her at gala dinners. Over the top gown; elaborate hairdo; Order of the Seraphim and as many jewels as she can hang on herself. Then she turns around and that horrible big Sun tattoo is sitting at the top of her back ruining it all ha, ha. Priceless!

BTW I am in agreement with the poster who questioned the re-writing of history with regards to Sophia's nude stuff. In the pics I have seen she is clearly over 16 and when she was "crowned" Miss Slitz and done that reality show she was older then that as well.

Oh my!!! Yup, that is going to be quite the scene!!

They'll marry and all will be forgiven, or (as another poster stated), she will be the princess everyone will snigger at. I can't warm up to her. All the whitewashing (of her past) wouldn't be so bad if the whole 180 degree of her personality didn't seem insincere and to try make her look really good, really quickly because now she's dating a prince.

The idea is that we reserve this thread for the discussion so that the other threads won't be sidelined by it. Moving the posts will however take some time. And it will also take some time before all posters will get used not to write down the same their opinions about Sofia's suitability in the other threads.
Any engagement news will be snowed under by comments pro and contra Sofia Hellqvist at this moment. And this way posters who are not interested in the debate can simply ignore this thread, while still getting updated on other things about the couple.

But although I personally agree that the things has been debated ad nauseam, many still want to discuss the matter, and in the end this is a discussion forum. So this thread will provide an opportunity for those who are interested.

OK but it will need monitoring cos this could descend into something nasty if the other threads are anything to go by. Best of luck.

IMO good luck and best wishes to both Sophia and CP. YUou cannot change your past, and most people have something they would want to change. What matters is how they work together in the future.

What is important is that she is given a chance to be a supporting wife to CP and, hopefully, create a role supporting good causes and the monarchy.

CP hardly works, I don't think that will change. Sofia will tagg along to the odd event but she will generate her attention from other events than royal work. IMO she will push her foundation to the limit to become Saint Sofia of Sweden and act more than a top class socialite rather than a working royal.

i think you could be right. I think she's a smart cookie. We'll see what she does. Kinda fun to watch. :flowers:

But although I personally agree that the things has been debated ad nauseam, many still want to discuss the matter, and in the end this is a discussion forum. So this thread will provide an opportunity for those who are interested.

I want to thank you for creating the thread :flowers: because I am new to the discussion. It's a curious swerve in the road because I joined up to be able to follow and discuss Princess Charlene's pregnancy - and then this engagement happens. Suddenly I have a lot to say. :p

The very idea that she and Prince Carl Philip should be exiled due to her past pictures is very much nonsense.

I wouldn't say exiled - I don't think anyone has suggested that. What i think would be a good 'test' would be to - as has been suggested - make her a Duchess but not a Princess. Or - make her nothing at all, like Chris - though I understand that was his choice. Just to keep her honest about why she is marrying the Prince. ;)

From Queen Margrethe it is known that when Frederik dated a Katja ... (don't rember the exact name think it was Storkholm) who also had posed in underwear that the would not agree to a marriage. She was quoted as saying that an underwear Model would never become the next Queen of Denmark.

It's no secret that CP Frederik was 'encouraged' to find his bride abroad! A Danish girl - underwear model or not- would never have been accepted by HM! Which IMO in Katja Storkholm's case was a pity because she appeared to be a nice girl.

We don't know yet if Carl Philip will be continuing to be a working royal after the wedding. Maybe they will move to South Africa. At least one can hope that.

If they stay in Sweden and Sofia will do royal work duties, the court has a big problem to find her a suitable way to work so that she will not totally outshine her husband. Because she, unlike Daniel, doesn't know how to be discreet.

You who are so judgmental. Frankly, Daniel is a physical fitness trainer, hardly a Rhodes Scholar and Sofia is lovely and interesting, also not a Rhodes Scholar. Her husband to be is nothing special, either. The truth is men in suits are not that interesting to the media that keep royalty in the forefront and royals have very little to offer except glamour and glitz.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The press can't be entirely trusted", unless they are talking trash about Sofia. Then some people here will believe on everything they say. "No one here can say what the Royals think or feel", because we don't know them. Unless people decide to say Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeline don't like Sofia and The King is pushing everyone to pretend she was accepted by the Family.

It amazes me how fickle some people can be. But I'm sure Prince Carl Philip and that lovely fiancée of his are so happy they couldn't care less about irrelevant bitterness on Internet.

"The press can't be entirely trusted", unless they are talking trash about Sofia. Then some people here will believe on everything they say. "No one here can say what the Royals think or feel", because we don't know them. Unless people decide to say Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeline don't like Sofia and The King is pushing everyone to pretend she was accepted by the Family.

It amazes me how fickle some people can be. But I'm sure Prince Carl Philip and that lovely fiancée of his are so happy they couldn't care less about irrelevant bitterness on Internet.

That is very nice. I am glad you are considering how they feel about one another. The junk that others print as opinion, so be it, is ugly. They are two young people and should be able to make their way. There is a difference between opinion and fact. It seems the family is happy. That is good. What she id she di. It is over. We all go forward. Nobody should have to drag their past forever.

It is stated at the top of this thread that:

It is imperative that members remain respectful to each other, and do not stoop to personal attacks - on the subject matter or each other - to get their point across

This is also a basic forum rule. Posts which do not abide by this, will be deleted, no ifs or buts.

You who are so judgmental. Frankly, Daniel is a physical fitness trainer, hardly a Rhodes Scholar and Sofia is lovely and interesting, also not a Rhodes Scholar. Her husband to be is nothing special, either. The truth is men in suits are not that interesting to the media that keep royalty in the forefront and royals have very little to offer except glamour and glitz.
Daniel is hardly *Just a physical fitness trainer*, he is a very successful business man who started a business and watched it grow into something to be very proud of and he made his own money. He was not a kept man by any means. He is a very loving and devoted man to his family, he has worked very hard to earn the respect of the Swedish people and has never spoken out to the press regards to whom he was dating or otherwise of court/royal business. He is dignified and knows that he will always take a back to to Victoria and that shows that he is a man of self confidence and not afraid to do what is expected of him in regards to the royal family. He did all this *Before he married Victoria* and that say something of his character. He is someone that a million mothers and fathers would be proud to have as a son-in-law and Sweden is so very lucky to have him in their corner.

Agree with you SElizabeth. I admire Daniel. Building a successful business takes diligence and brains. From what I've read, Daniel had to relinquish hands on control of his business in order to marry Victoria. And, I think it shows character that he is able to be willing to be the "man behind" Victoria. I just like the way he conducts himself.
As for Sofia, I really don't know what to say.

Daniel is hardly *Just a physical fitness trainer*, he is a very successful business man who started a business and watched it grow into something to be very proud of and he made his own money. He was not a kept man by any means. He is a very loving and devoted man to his family, he has worked very hard to earn the respect of the Swedish people and has never spoken out to the press regards to whom he was dating or otherwise of court/royal business. He is dignified and knows that he will always take a back to to Victoria and that shows that he is a man of self confidence and not afraid to do what is expected of him in regards to the royal family. He did all this *Before he married Victoria* and that say something of his character. He is someone that a million mothers and fathers would be proud to have as a son-in-law and Sweden is so very lucky to have him in their corner.

Daniel is a lovely man. I agree. But other than that he is nothing special. I think Sofia made her own money, too, before CP. And he has earned the respect of the Swedish people by being given a chance. She has the right to be given a chance. The some day Swedish Queen will be married to a Gym owner. Which by the way, is fine, but not by your definition. It took King Olav 9 years too accept Sonja as Harald's wife, more's the pity, but she did really well. He said so too. You have the haughty idea that this woman, who made mistakes has no right for another chance. Lord Jesus said he who has no sin can cast the first rock. Either start thinking or start throwing.

I totally agree with you on that statement, the press can never be trusted for all they want to do is make money and dirt makes money, YET, the pictures that I have seen have even shocked this ole lady, and I am way older then you are by a long shot.............so those pictures do not lie........not at all.

I do agree with some posters and what Sofia did in the past should not define her forever, we have all made mistakes. However having said that it is a shame that the SRF have this to deal with the flack of what is Sofia's past, Madeline's choice of lifestyle and I hope it doesn't have a damning effect on their credibility. I hope they can weather this storm with grace and better PR and can survive.

Daniel is a lovely man. I agree. But other than that he is nothing special. I think Sofia made her own money, too, before CP. And he has earned the respect of the Swedish people by being given a chance. She has the right to be given a chance. The some day Swedish Queen will be married to a Gym owner. Which by the way, is fine, but not by your definition. It took King Olav 9 years too accept Sonja as Harald's wife, more's the pity, but she did really well. He said so too. You have the haughty idea that this woman, who made mistakes has no right for another chance. Lord Jesus said he who has no sin can cast the first rock. Either start thinking or start throwing.

First just how did she *earn her money*, and I really don't want to go there for I can read between the lines, I don't think it was a decent 9/5 job by any stretch of the means............maybe by being a pretty show/party girl with a good figure does take lots of intelligence. Pretty party girls are so very easy to spot..........talk to them and see where their intelligence lies.................

Prince Carl for me has Not earned the respect of the Swedish people, he has done very little except race cars, vacations, steal other people's design for pottery that he said he did, that is not earning respect, he does not work at all, looking at his schedule, he is a party boy, someone enjoying the fruits and labors of the Swedish taxpayer without working for it, his record stands all by itself, no one but him can account for what he does and that is very little. For me, he looks like a spoiled rich boy wanting hand outs (I know this for I have one of those and she gets nothing except what she works for) as I did and what most decent people do in life.

Gym owner ..............that is not even funny. It was a Very successful business regardless of what that business was or not, it could be in the food industry, a retail clothing business whatever, he worked for it, he earned it and he was a success at it........he made his own money, nobody paid for his clothes, the roof over his head, the food he ate, NOBODY paid his way in life, that is Real Character in a person be they man or woman.

As for the King of Norway, this isn't about them..........don't change the subject, it won't work.

We don't have to agree on this and we sure don't. Being of the older generation I believe in hard work and being a decent human being, not talking advantage of what others have in life or trying to be someone I am not.........it's called growing up and facing responsibility for one's actions something I am waiting for her to do........yet I won't hold my breath!:ermm:

Regarding the alleged rape comment from Sofia:

in this one Love Lola Heart blog there are photos of Sofia (also naked ones) and I read this :

" Fortunately, Sofia didn’t chose to work with victims of rape who Sofia has expressed she feels ’should work on their self-esteem so they will be better able to say no’."

She really said that?:eek:
I hope it's just something wrote by an hater.

The Love Lola Heart blog lists no source whatsoever on the quote.

Sadly, that quote is true:sad: And other things that I thought rumours I fear will end up as truth. Cannot prove anything but I read several things about her "making profit" of some money which were supposed to be for a charity... I won't say anything more though

Do you mind providing a source for this? A such comment is horrific and before accusing and judging Sofia for having said something quite as gruelling as that, I think it's necessary to provide actual evidence.

All the harshness directed towards Sofia will die down after while. Trust me, they'll get over it. The palace PR team is behind her now. Prince Carl Philip and Sofia are moving on to bigger and brighter things while others are stuck in the past.

I'm looking forward to the royal couple conducting official engagements in the days and months to come.

I have to admit that I resent the whole idea of a palace PR team, even though I know they exist. It is rather insulting to my intelligence. As if I am dotty and will all of a sudden see a different person just because they have a team in place to dress them properly, place them in humanitarian photo ops, and repeat talking points about their great contributions and warm personality. I am not criticizing the individuals, I am just saying that I am not one to be fooled by polished PR narratives attempting to manipulate public opinion.

:previous:No one on this earth can change the past, and yet some feel he has a right to be angry and this happened how many years ago, over 30, I really don't know how old Prince Carl is yet to still hold a grudge for that long says something about King Carl. The past is just that, *The Past* and none of us in this world can change that nor predict the future.

But yet it's alright to judge Sofia for pictures she has had taken years ago? Quite hypocritical. Many people do things they're less than proud of in their youth and I am sure Sofia regrets some of her past as well.

But yet it's alright to judge Sofia for pictures she has had taken years ago? Quite hypocritical. Many people do things they're less than proud of in their youth and I am sure Sofia regrets some of her past as well.

In some respect your right, yet, King Carl is just a figurehead representing the people, an entire country and he has no say in the government and if he did there might not be a monarchy today. The government made that decision, not him and yet he can still be angry about it. Though the years he has shown that he always favors his son more, this is just the mentality of the men born during his time when he was born, something like.............the more sons the better, daughters aren't very good and this still goes on in this day and age(look at India, the attitude of men is the more sons the better, same for Mexico, and many other countries), so his attitude is to give his son whatever he wants regardless of his duty to his country.

She is an adult who made the decision to do this, and it will effect her life for the rest of her life, not something I would think many young women would do if they thought about it. She has portrayed herself to be a party girl and nothing more.....her actions where her choice and nobody else's.
She will always be judge for this the rest of her life, and I sure wouldn't want to be in her shoes for all the titles, money, tiaras, palaces and whatever she gets in life. She has lots to prove, decades without a mistake, no talking to the press, stepping back and letting the royal family be ahead of her (QL of Spain does this), wearing the right clothes, saying the right thing at the right time, being dignified, being discrete, giving up friends that might do damage to the royal family (PM of Denmark did that), she has decades of being perfect and doing charity work till the end of her time.........that is going to be her life if she is in this family. She should follow the queen's example very closely and to the letter, no mistakes allowed before she gains respect from the people and the taxpayers of Sweden first. They pay her way in life and will want money for their dollar...........can she deliver.....not holding my breath on that one either!
I so like QM of Denmark saying: No model is going to be queen in Denmark, something like that. She would have put a stop to this in one second......she has more balls then some so called kings who cry foul!

RE: replies to P.Madeleine's FB-message
From what i see on other forums, i get the feeling that people are actually trying to shame the SRF into calling of the engagement and not mingling with Sofia anymore.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions, as long as they realize they are nothing less or more than that: personal opinions...

(oh, and please have the decency, even though you don't like people, to use the right names: it's not Prince Carl and King Carl...)

Okay for me it's: KCG and PCP.............short cuts that many people use!

I watched the interview with CP&S here lasting some twelve minutes until the King and Queen came on. Prince Carl Philip: "I proposed at a secret place" | Royalista

Despite my reservations about Sofia, which I still maintain, I tried to look at the interview as unbiased as possible.

It came across as positive.
Sofia left an impression of being very happy, giddy and as such a little girly, while CP was more reserved or perhaps had more routine.
She didn't say anything silly.

Well, I think she said something odd at the engagement interview:
Q: There was no doubts?
- Not at all. I have been waiting for this day, says Sofia Hellqvist.
Q: How long have you been waiting?
- Since the day we met, says Sofia Hellqvist.

She didn't say "since we started dating" but "since the day we met".
According to many articles in the swedish press Sofia met Carl Philip for the first time in 2008, when Carl Philip was still together with Emma Pernald. Carl Philip and Emma broke up in the beginning of March 2009.

-
About the 'rape' comment: this comes from an interview with Miss World magazine in September 2012. On 23 September LadyFinn posted the following link and translation:

Sofia Hellqvist harvinaisessa haastattelussa – puhuu lapsista - Viihde - MTV.fi

"We do not only help the children in practical matters and share information, our purpose is to raise children's self-esteem. Many of the girls have been raped and have a low self-esteem. With us, they learn to respect themselves and we also help our boys understand girls' boundaries. We create personal relationships and we also have a lot of fun together".

So she did not claim low esteem causes rape, as some claim now, though it isn't the most fortunate remark indeed as it led to confusion. Perhaps some training before going public with such issues would have been advisable. At the time some posters were in doubt if an organisation with a modest budget like PP could afford to provide adequate professional help to council rape victims. The organisation seemed rather amateurish at the time, it was said that for a while Sofia's personal bank account was listed as the bank account number for the organisation for example.

Anyway, people who talk much have a lot to awnser for. And she certainly talked a lot to the press. Naive maybe, calculated maybe, but often not the most intelligent comments; and at times proven to be incorrect. For example: in the same interview she said that she spend several months for PP in Africa that year, while it was later established that in 2012 she only made 3 short trips to the continent. In different months though.

Well, I think she said something odd at the engagement interview:
Q: There was no doubts?
- Not at all. I have been waiting for this day, says Sofia Hellqvist.
Q: How long have you been waiting?
- Since the day we met, says Sofia Hellqvist.

She didn't say "since we started dating" but "since the day we met".
According to many articles in the swedish press Sofia met Carl Philip for the first time in 2008, when Carl Philip was still together with Emma Pernald. Carl Philip and Emma broke up in the beginning of March 2009.

If you should believe everything that's written (and we know it's not always 100% true), this couple was introduced to eachother in 2008. That doesn't mean that Sofia is referring to that day. She could very well be talking about the day when they started going out.

And if she indeed is referring to their very first meeting - when they both say nothing happened - so what? Can't she have feelings for a guy even though he's in a relationship?

I'm sure that many couples - royal or not - have met one time or another before they actuallty start dating. And I'm sure that it's entierly possible that one of the two in the relationship started having feelings before the other one did. I simply don't see the problem here.

I think when someone finds it necessary to denigrate Prince Daniel by misrepresenting and devaluing his achievements prior to his marriage, in a feeble attempt create the perception that he and Sofia Hellqvist's work résumé's are on a par, is risable at best and offensive at worst.

Note: When you find it necessary to pull someone down in order to raise someone else up, you need to take an integrity check.

She is an adult who made the decision to do this, and it will effect her life for the rest of her life, not something I would think many young women would do if they thought about it. She has portrayed herself to be a party girl and nothing more.....her actions where her choice and nobody else's.
She will always be judge for this the rest of her life, and I sure wouldn't want to be in her shoes for all the titles, money, tiaras, palaces and whatever she gets in life.

But when she started "modeling" she was only 16 years old, and you're not an adult when you're 16; you might be physically an adult but not emotionally/mentally. Yes she ultimately was the one who made the decision, but in reality she shouldn't have been in that position since she wasn't an adult.

SElizabeth said:
Somehow I get the sneaky feeling that she planned this entire relationship once she found out who he was

I suppose she found out who the prince was at a rather young age, which means she had been planning it since she was 5 y/o or so. Not very likely.

Last edited:
I doubt that anybody has the illusion that 'shaming' will break of the engagement. But it is obvious that many have strong feelings about the matter. Even Madeleine's facebook has a high number of critical remakrs, that were not deleted by the press department of the palace yet maybe they were off in the weekend, or maybe they will leave them around).

I agree with other posters that over interpreting gestures, looks etc. based on a few minutes of video footage or pictures can be counter productive and may lead to a parallel universe in which this issue is debated. All we know for now is that the king, queen and princess madeleine publicly wished the couple well. Silvia with her arms closed or an apparently short message by Pss Madeleine do not alter that, and they may not mean anything at all.

-
About the 'rape' comment: this comes from an interview with Miss World magazine in September 2012. On 23 September LadyFinn posted the following link and translation:

Sofia Hellqvist harvinaisessa haastattelussa – puhuu lapsista - Viihde - MTV.fi

So she did not claim low esteem causes rape, as some claim now, though it isn't the most fortunate remark indeed as it led to confusion. Perhaps some training before going public with such issues would have been advisable. At the time some posters were in doubt if an organisation with a modest budget like PP could afford to provide adequate professional help to council rape victims. The organisation seemed rather amateurish at the time, it was said that for a while Sofia's personal bank account was listed as the bank account number for the organisation for example.

Anyway, people who talk much have a lot to awnser for. And she certainly talked a lot to the press. Naive maybe, calculated maybe, but often not the most intelligent comments; and at times proven to be incorrect. For example: in the same interview she said that she spend several months for PP in Africa that year, while it was later established that in 2012 she only made 3 short trips to the continent. In different months though.

Thank you for clearing it up! I was seriously upset, but from the quote it doesn't seem she said what other blogs claims.

It's not right to try to make one person seem much more better than the other as well.

But when she started "modeling" she was only 16 years old, and you're not an adult when you're 16; you might be physically an adult but not emotionally/mentally. Yes she ultimately was the one who made the decision, but in reality she shouldn't have been in that position since she wasn't an adult.

Okay, and where are her parents during this time..........they should have taken better care of her and been on top of her with what she was doing? Aren't parents suppose to be helping her make better decisions then that? Or could someone besides herself see the money in it?
Yet when she was an adult, she sure did some posing and ...............

Such a shame that a beautiful moment between to people who love each other and are taking a major step together is being turned into something bad and ugly because they can't get over the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom