The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Just curious, how do you think Margrethe or Beatrix would have reacted if one of their boy's had brought Ms. Hellqvist to them for approval. Really, not being snarky here. Many mothers would have misgiving's royal or not so I wonder about The queen in this case.
From Queen Margrethe it is known that when Frederik dated a Katja ... (don't rember the exact name think it was Storkholm) who also had posed in underwear that the would not agree to a marriage. She was quoted as saying that an underwear Model would never become the next Queen of Denmark.
__________________

  #122  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
From Queen Margrethe it is known that when Frederik dated a Katja ... (don't rember the exact name think it was Storkholm) who also had posed in underwear that the would not agree to a marriage. She was quoted as saying that an underwear Model would never become the next Queen of Denmark.
Same in Spain (Felipe & Eva Sannum) - but there is a difference between heir and third-born, I guess.
__________________

  #123  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Same in Spain (Felipe & Eva Sannum) - but there is a difference between heir and third-born, I guess.
Carl Philip is second-born.
  #124  
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
From most of these post 's I gather the only people who act particularly royal or content Is Victoria and by extension her own family...the king looks like was weaned on a pickle, the Queen is quietly bland, the other two grown children are pampered and work shy and the new one has shown the world everything.

What am I missing here?
What you're missing is the reality. People have their own perceptions and biases.

In his youth, Carl Gustav was quite the elegant gentleman. Not classically handsome yet he was very appealing, albeit never as popular as Queen Silvia, who was not just a beautiful woman, but very well spoken and possessed of a delicate and unfailing charm. She remains to this day a very intelligent and classy lady, who has served Sweden well and has always been very popular among the Swedes. That's a fact. I would not listen to crass opinion regarding how she - or Carl Gustav - have aged. One ages - it is what it is.

It is a lovely family, not picture perfect - what family is? I love their down-to-earth quality. They live very much normal lives. For example, when the children were growing up the whole family used to go food shopping together. On Sunday afternoons King, Queen and children could be bumped into at the local market shopping for the Sunday evening meal that Silvia and Carl Gustav would cook. The SRF is unique among royals, I think (though admittedly, I don't know much) - and charmingly so imo. Even the PR incompetence everyone seems upset about is endearing. But then, I live in a world of sharp shooters - so that 'incompetence' in PR strikes me as refreshingly honest.
  #125  
Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 22,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
From most of these post 's I gather the only people who act particularly royal or content Is Victoria and by extension her own family...the king looks like was weaned on a pickle, the Queen is quietly bland, the other two grown children are pampered and work shy and the new one has shown the world everything.

What am I missing here?
What is missing is dignity and discretion. The press conference in Friday was a good example of that. We saw the start of the royal reality show, the leading role played by Sofia.
  #126  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Did Beatrix not approve the marriage of one of her sons to the ex-girlfriend of a drug lord? A woman who then admitted to lying to the government about the relationship? The Dutch government, from what I remember, refused to give their permission to the match because of the lies she told them. Given the apparently incredibly high standards Beatrix had for her sons, it's amazing that she approved of such a match, whatever Mabel's educational background.

I do not hold Mabel's past mistakes against her and I believe the same should be true of Sofia. Mabel proved herself a worthy wife to Prince Friso and, from what I can see, was accepted as a member of the royal house. Sofia deserves the chance to do the same.

I've seen one or two comments about CG's apparent unhappiness in the pictures/video, but this rather misses the point that he never looks anything other than miserable as sin. He always looks as if someone's just pinched his last cookie.
Mabel Wisse-Smit was no "girlfriend to a drug lord". During her student years, she -an addict to sailing- became befriended with to the said drug lord who was of her age, had good looks and a sail yacht as well. When the background of the gentleman became more clear, Mabel took distance.

When she engaged with Prince Friso, she and the Prince decide to muffle this not so fabulous part of her history under the carpet and that was the reason for the upheaval: the couple was 'not complete' about the truth / 'creative' with the truth. In hindsight Mabel and Friso better could have been 100% open about it. For the rest, no matter how nice Laurentien Brinkhorst, Mabel Wisse-Smit and Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti are, also they erode the fundament of what differentiates people to be "royal".
  #127  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Look, Carl Phillip Loves Sofia. She loves him. It's not like the world will end. She made some foolish choices when she was young, many make foolish choices all their lives. Some here have this inflated idea of today's royalty. They are just "celebrities "who happen to be born into this job of prince or king etc. Kings have affairs, as do princes and some princesses, or whatever. Lots of nasty things go on, like in the real world. They receive much for the luck of birth. In Sweden the king or queen is just a figurehead, today. I do hope people cut them some slack and do as one should, which is do not judge them, because who are you (a collective you)to judge them? Queen Beatrix was always supportive of Mabel, as was Sonja of Mette-Marit. And you know those women are wonderful.

Queen Beatrix might have been supportive of Mabel, but, because the Dutch parliament didn't approve Friso's marriage, he was removed from the line of succession and Mabel never became a member of the Royal House. She was never a "princess of the Netherlands" or a "working royal" then.

Sofia, in my opinion, is in a different category. She will be a princess of Sweden and a full-time working member of the royal family and is expected to take a full range of royal duties, even though she is, at first sight, far less qualified for the job than Mabel for example was.

I guess Mette-Marit is actually the only example I can think of that resembles Sofia's case, with the aggravating circumstance that Metter-Marit will one day probably become queen whereas Sofia, barring any unlikely tragedy, will not.
  #128  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Lee-Z's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Beatrix might have been supportive of Mabel, but, because the Dutch parliament didn't approve Friso's marriage, he was removed from the line of succession and Mabel never became a member of the Royal House. She was never a "princess of the Netherlands" or a "working royal" then.

Sofia, in my opinion, is in a different category. She will be a princess of Sweden and a full-time working member of the royal family and is expected to take a full range of royal duties, even though she is, at first sight, far less qualified for the job than Mabel for example was.
P.Friso decided not to ask permission from the government for his marriage (expecting quite rightly that it wouldn't be given), and with that forfeited his right to the throne (he was always a very independent and professional person and never very much "royally inclined"; so imo it probably wasn't a huge step for him).

But this is indeed a big difference: had CP renounced his rights to the throne when he announced his engagement, that would have made a world of difference to the opinion of many "followers", imo..
  #129  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Beatrix might have been supportive of Mabel, but, because the Dutch parliament didn't approve Friso's marriage, he was removed from the line of succession and Mabel never became a member of the Royal House. She was never a "princess of the Netherlands" or a "working royal" then.

Sofia, in my opinion, is in a different category. She will be a princess of Sweden and a full-time working member of the royal family and is expected to take a full range of royal duties, even though she is, at first sight, far less qualified for the job than Mabel for example was.

I guess Mette-Marit is actually the only example I can think of that resembles Sofia's case, with the aggravating circumstance that Metter-Marit will one day probably become queen whereas Sofia, barring any unlikely tragedy, will not.
Princess Mabel was not removed because of what she was, but because Prince Friso and Mabel were not open about a relationship of Mabel with a criminal.
The prime-minister of that time decided not to present the permission to marriage law to the Parliament.
  #130  
Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Mabel Wisse-Smit was no "girlfriend to a drug lord". During her student years, she -an addict to sailing- became befriended with to the said drug lord who was of her age, had good looks and a sail yacht as well. When the background of the gentleman became more clear, Mabel took distance.

When she engaged with Prince Friso, she and the Prince decide to muffle this not so fabulous part of her history under the carpet and that was the reason for the upheaval: the couple was 'not complete' about the truth / 'creative' with the truth. In hindsight Mabel and Friso better could have been 100% open about it. For the rest, no matter how nice Laurentien Brinkhorst, Mabel Wisse-Smit and Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti are, also they erode the fundament of what differentiates people to be "royal".

Máxima comes from a social class which, in Argentina, would be equivalent to the patriciaat. Her father was a landowner and a government minister, albeit in an authoritarian military government. Laurentien, on the other hand, although not technically a patrician (in the Dutch sense of being listed in the Blue Book), is also a daughter of a government minister and university professor. I don't see how either Máxima or Laurentien would be in any respect less suitable to marry into the Dutch royal familiy than any alternative minor aristocrat from Germany or the Low Countries.
  #131  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 AM
gemini85's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caserta, Italy
Posts: 27
in this one Love Lola Heart blog there are photos of Sofia (also naked ones) and I read this :

" Fortunately, Sofia didn’t chose to work with victims of rape who Sofia has expressed she feels ’should work on their self-esteem so they will be better able to say no’."

She really said that?
I hope it's just something wrote by an hater.
  #132  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini85 View Post
It would be lovely
My congratulations to the couple.A marriage is always a beautiful news.
I don't like her,to me it seems there's something off with her I don't know what,it's just a feeling.
Anyway she is very pretty girl and seems to make the Prince happy so my best wishes to them.

I was looking for a HQ photo of the ring,didn't find it but I came across in these two blogs.
This one Princesses' lives: Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist are engaged! have images in a pretty good quality.

in this one Love Lola Heart blog there are photos of Sofia (also naked ones) and I read this :

" Fortunately, Sofia didn’t chose to work with victims of rape who Sofia has expressed she feels ’should work on their self-esteem so they will be better able to say no’."

She really said that?
I hope it's just something wrote by an hater.
Sadly, that quote is true And other things that I thought rumours I fear will end up as truth. Cannot prove anything but I read several things about her "making profit" of some money which were supposed to be for a charity... I won't say anything more though
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #133  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM
gemini85's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caserta, Italy
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Sadly, that quote is true And other things that I thought rumours I fear will end up as truth. Cannot prove anything but I read several things about her "making profit" of some money which were supposed to be for a charity... I won't say anything more though
Many thanks for the answer.
Wow!!If she really said and done those things,I really hope she learned and understood her mistakes.
My dislike for her is growing
Let's hope she will be a devoted wife and a good Princess.

Oh and there also a couple of nasty comments below P.Madeleine facebook post.
  #134  
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini85 View Post
Many thanks for the answer.
Wow!!If she really said and done those things,I really hope she learned and understood her mistakes.
My dislike for her is growing
Let's hope she will be a devoted wife and a good Princess.

Oh and there also a couple of nasty comments below P.Madeleine facebook post.
Yes, I've seen them... Hope they will be removed though
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #135  
Old 06-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,102
Well, I think they should get married but be Mr and Mrs Bernadotte, not attending royal events, not doing royal duties. That would be the wise and judicious thing to do.

BTW - is this something that the government could impose after due consideration? Especially if more and more disclosures come along and the circus-like atmosphere grows daily? I can't imagine this ever 'dying down' as she will always be front and center in every SRF event. The media is going to be all over her. I bet as we speak investigative journalism is going into hyper-drive.
  #136  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:07 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,537
This has been discussed ad nauseam on other threads on this forum.

Why go through it all over again??
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #137  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 11,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Well, I think they should get married but be Mr and Mrs Bernadotte, not attending royal events, not doing royal duties. That would be the wise and judicious thing to do.

BTW - is this something that the government could impose after due consideration? Especially if more and more disclosures come along and the circus-like atmosphere grows daily? I can't imagine this ever 'dying down' as she will always be front and center in every SRF event. The media is going to be all over her. I bet as we speak investigative journalism is going into hyper-drive.
Sofia is marrying a working member of the Swedish Royal Family, it's her place to accompany her husband to official and family events; just as Daniel and Chris do with their royal spouses.
__________________
"THE REAL POWER OF A MAN IS IN THE SIZE OF THE SMILE OF THE WOMAN SITTING NEXT TO HIM."

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
  #138  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,702
If he was going to be king he probably wouldn't be allowed to marry her. But he's not so the family is accepting. I've always stated that I trust the king queen and princesses more than a bunch of forum members on what kind of person Sofia is. Would him marrying a better girl who doesnt have her past be nice? Sure, but he loves her and chose her and nobody official has expressed any problems, not that I have seen.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #139  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM
principessa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Schweinfurt, Germany
Posts: 3,115
I hope that Sofia get the chance to show that she is a nice, natural, helpful and underrated woman. She deserves it.
__________________
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
  #140  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:32 PM
wok_kym's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: milan, Italy
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Sadly, that quote is true And other things that I thought rumours I fear will end up as truth. Cannot prove anything but I read several things about her "making profit" of some money which were supposed to be for a charity... I won't say anything more though
The quote is true????
__________________

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.) Yennie Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 405 01-13-2017 07:38 PM
Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine's Future Role Princejohnny25 Royal House of Sweden 10 03-05-2016 09:40 AM
Discussion & Research about Walther Sommerlath's Role in the Nazi Period Marengo King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia 46 10-20-2014 11:36 PM
How Does Haakon Feel About His Future Role? Josefine Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 28 04-06-2007 08:22 PM




Popular Tags
70th birthday celebrations of king carl xvi gustaf aristocracy ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit british baby names catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll felipe vi greece kate middleton king abdullah and queen rania king abdullah ii king willem-alexander marriage member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles princess charlene daytime fashion princess marie princess marie events princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima dresses queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania dresses queen rania fashion replica september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark state visit to france succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats time travel women deliver conference


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises