Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Second son?
I meant second child of course.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Sofia of course should have learned about "the Swedish system of government and the monarchy's mission" at school, but, in any case, I am surprised she is receiving instruction in history and political science. As the wife of the King's second son, I don't expect her to perform official state functions that would require that kind of expertise.
As a member of the Bernadotte dynasty and the SRF, it is imperative that she at the very least is knowledgeable about the Crown she represents, it's history and the basics of how the government works.

Imagine she is seated next to someone at the Nobels or at a State dinner who compliments her on her resemblance to Desiree Clary? As a Bernadotte she should at least know who that is!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I'm sure that a member of the Royal House must know more about "the Swedish system of government and the monarchy's mission" than the stuff an average student learns at school. To me it is no surprise that she received instruction about these topics.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Sofia of course should have learned about "the Swedish system of government and the monarchy's mission" at school, but, in any case, I am surprised she is receiving instruction in history and political science. As the wife of the King's second child, I don't expect her to perform official state functions that would require that kind of expertise.
Sofia doesn't get instruction in history and political science according to Aftonbladet's article, the article tells that Daniel got it.
From the article I posted
"Prior to his and Victoria's wedding in 2010, Daniel had Jan-Eric Warren from the court as a mentor.
- It was my job to help Daniel to get in on a good way and get an introduction course for quite a long time, says Warren, who between 2009 and 2012 taught Daniel all about how the court is constructed.
- And then there was of course also a lot of history and political science."
Old 05-19-2015, 10:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Sofia doesn't get instruction in history and political science according to Aftonbladet's article, the article tells that Daniel got it.
From the article I posted
"Prior to his and Victoria's wedding in 2010, Daniel had Jan-Eric Warren from the court as a mentor.
- It was my job to help Daniel to get in on a good way and get an introduction course for quite a long time, says Warren, who between 2009 and 2012 taught Daniel all about how the court is constructed.
- And then there was of course also a lot of history and political science."

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. It makes more sense now.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The editor of the Dutch magazine 'royalty' (and presentor at our largest daily entertainment programme: RTL boulevard) has dedicated his weekly column to the upcoming nuptuals.

Under the title 'why not' he explains one of the dilemmas of 21st century monarchies: the public wants them to marry whomever they fall in love with but at the same time there are lots of factors that need to be taken into account. Although the partner doesn't need to be royal or noble anymore, these other factors prevent a real free choice, esp. for the first in line. He also wonders how people will react if they are requested to curtsy to a woman who showed herself nude in pictures for a living and who showed so much of herself to Sweden in a reality tv programme.

He concludes that the Swedish king and queen may have had problems with the match in the beginning, they later may have thought: 'why not?'. He calls the prince lucky, as he suspects that in other monarchies, also in The Netherlands, the prince may have been urged to make a different choice.

I think he is right about that, a (wo)man with such a resume would be unthinkable to ever get the green light from Q. Beatrix. Apparently she and Claus already had their doubts with all present daughter-in-laws, who all were academically educated carreer women from upper-middle-class backgrounds (source: Jutta Chorus, 'Beatrix. Dwars door alle weerstand heen').

Waarom niet? - Royalty Online
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The heir is always a different matter, CP is unimportant in the end. I'd bet a lot of money on WA not being allowed to marry Mabel. Maxima was ok because you cannot hold somebody accountable for a family member's failures.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Marengo, that article is excellent and thoughtful. Thanks for drawing it to our attention because it articulates my ideas in a nutshell.

"Why not" indeed? Where to draw the line between the very human desire to marry someone for love and compatibility while taking into account the standards that all monarchies must take consider-no matter how "modern"?

One would hope these princes and princesses would consider the dignity, history, and image of the Dynasties they represent as well as their personal inclinations, but this has not proven to be the case at all. They seem unable/unwilling to accept that quite frankly, their privilege and position demand that they consider something other than their personal feelings when choosing a spouse.

ME FIRST seems the way to go now, among regular people and Royalty. I think we are on a very slippery slope.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 05-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yeah – royals marrying people they love? Please, now. Arranged marriages all the way. God forbid the possibility of plebs navigating their way into royal families, amirite?

Old 05-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

You must be one of the few who is still in favour of arranged marriages, Zelia. Fact is that of the younger generation of royals, there are still quite a few who supposedly were pressured to end a previous relationship and had to look further. Not because the lady in question was not royal or noble, but because of other factors. It apparently happened to all three younger European kings at least and perhaps even to the Danish CP. However, they all found another partner and few will say that their present marriages were arranged or are unhappy.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:24 AM
Majesty

Marengo you must be know. The law i think is to the Germany who they must married royal or noble women don' t can be void?
Old 05-23-2015, 04:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Marengo you must be know. The law i think is to the Germany who they must married royal or noble women don' t can be void?
There is no such law. All citizens are equal and anyone is free to marry whom he/she wants. But sometimes there are private settlements, for an example setting a condition that heirs of the historic patrimonium must marry standesgemäß (according social standing).

On itself that has nothing to do with German law. When the heir wants to marrry the cleaning lady, so be it. There is nothing in law which prevents him from doing so. It will have consequences for his ability to inherit the historic patrimonium but that is not because of the law on itself but a result of private arrangements.

When I make a formal arrangement at the notary that I donate my children 100.000 Euro each, to be available on the age of 18 but with the strict condition that they must have passed their college exams, then this is a private arrangement which on itself has nothing to do with the law.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
You must be one of the few who is still in favour of arranged marriages, Zelia. But fact is that of the younger generation of royals, there are still quite a few who supposedly were pressured to end a previous relationship and to look further. Not because the lady in question was not royal or noble, but because of other factors. It apparently happened to all three younger European kings at least and perhaps even to the Danish CP. However, they all found another partner and few will say that their present marriages were arranged or are unhappy.
my post was heavily loaded with sarcasm.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A number of posts have been removed as they violated several forum rules: attacks on royals, attacks on members, off-topic comments, comments on moderation.

The moderators would like to offer some advice to this thread's regular contributors: use the report button. If you take issue with a post, report it. Do not respond to it. The moderators will then deal with the post accordingly.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Bunte, Sofia's nickname in New York was "Electric Suzy", according to a famous Tattoo Shop.
Sofia Hellqvist_ Sie war früher nicht nur Model ... _ BUNTE.de

Electric Suzy is also a song recorded by Backyard Babies.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:24 AM
Majesty

I have seldom seen a royal wedding with so much "noise" around it for practically nothing. In some other royal weddings there was a lot of noise because of actions of the bride's father (Máxima) or because of the parenthood of a bride (Mette-Marit) or because the bride was seen as a mésalliance (Letizia), etc. But here... really... this is about nothing.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think her background is the noise.
It's probably as unfair as the others you mentioned but she does have colourful past.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning told a couple of weeks ago, that Barbro Ehnbom and Sofia met via Barbro's son Marcus Forss. Marcus met Sofia at a night club and introduced her to Barbro. Marcus Forss is a clarinetist.

Old photos of Sofia partying when she was 16 were released today at least at the finnish media. One or two of them has been earlier released at the swedish media.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/kuninkaallis...04286_kg.shtml

http://s02.imageupper.com/1/3/C14334198091194754_10.jpg
http://s02.imageupper.com/1/3/C14334198091194754_12.jpg
More photos, at the photos it is said that they are not on sale in Sweden.
http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/
Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Right, the wedding is close at hand.

There has naturally been a good deal of focus of Sofia over the recent weeks, what are your impressions of her now?
As unbiased as possible, please.

How has she evolved? For better or worse.
How does she present herself now? Does she act the role?
Has she said anything significant in your opinion?
Has she said or done anything that impress you? Alternatively has she stepped in it?
Have any unfortunate friends from her past surfaced recently?
Etc. Etc.

And finally: Have your changed your opinion about her?

I ask partly to learn your opinion but also because I simply haven't had time to follow S&CP myself lately. I've not even read their recent interview.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip